Natchez Trace, Blue Ridge Parkway and ??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2019, 09:37 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Natchez Trace, Blue Ridge Parkway and ???

We’re headed toward the US NorthEast coast this Fall, then down into the Carolinas, Virginia, Kentucky, and the like. We discovered the Natchez Trace a few years ago and have heard the Blue Ridge Parkway offers a similar pace. Any suggestions of similar slow roads through places of historic or natural interest? I love to poke along with my 13 foot Scamp, and have zero need for speed. But one needs to know such heavenly roads exist in order to seek them out!
Richard Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 02:24 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Blue Ridge Parkway is much better IMHO. Of course, I live about 10 miles from it, go figure.

At my end of the BRP, the roads to and from the parkway are mostly narrow/windy roads. The parkway itself is gentle, although you will be climbing and descending. It basically starts at Smoky Mountain NP (the start is within a mile or two of the entrance to Smoky Mountain NP). There are plenty of historical spots along the way.

First stop is the town I live in, Waynesville, NC. Nice historic downtown, worth an afternoon. If you grab a campsite at Pisgah Mountain CG, on the parkway, you can drive the TV to Waynesville, and then back again.

Then the parkway goes through Asheville, NC, so make sure to stop at the Biltmore Estate, and the Grove Park Inn. IF you like beer, Asheville is probably the beer capitol of the SE.

Further north on the parkway you will reach the entrance to Mount Mitchell State Park. I'm kind of surprised the NP service hasn't grabbed it. Highest point in the US east of the Rockies. Continue on north and you will find Grandfather Mountain, another SP, then Linville Falls, Linn Cove Viaduct.

Boone, NC is a nice side trip, college town in the mountains. To the east of this area you have Mt Airy, NC, the town that Mayberry was based on. Stop at Floyd's barber shop, and get a pork chop sandwich at the Snappy Lunch.

As you continue north on the parkway, the elevations drop. Still very nice. All kinds of information on the BRP and Skyline Drive on the web.

Before you get to NC, you should consider Taladega Scenic Highway in Alabama. It basically ends at Cheaha SP, highest point in Alabama and a good place to camp. There is also a road north of there, that is like a min-parkway too, takes you by Little River Canyon, Desoto SP, Desoto Parkway, all the way to Mentone, AL. All very scenic.

Then you might as well continue up to Lookout Mountain and see Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Parks. By going this direction, you avoid Atlanta, always a plus particularly when you are towing a trailer!!

Fancy Gap campground is interesting near Mt Airy, as it is a private campground, yet it is essentially on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Fancy Gap is just above the NC/VA border.

I could go on and on, but you get the idea.

In the heat of the summer and into the fall, people head to the mountains of the SE (yes, we do have mountains).
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:21 PM   #3

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Natchez Trace, Blue Ridge Parkway and ???

At the north end of the BR Parkway is the Skyline Drive. It starts at Front Royal ,Va. and runs south through Shenandoah NP . It ends where the BRP starts at Rockfish Gap ,Va. A very nice parkway. It is a good opener for the BRP.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:11 AM   #4

Name: Steven
Trailer: Rockwood
Kentucky
Natchez Trace, etc

You mentioned Ky on your trip. A must see in Eastern Ky area: Red River Gorge, Breaks Interstate Park and Pine Mtn. area. Plenty of places to camp- private, State and National.
salmiddleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
On your way north, consider coming up along the barrier islands (Outer Banks) on the NC coast. It doesn't get much more laid back then our ferry system and Hwy 12.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:45 AM   #6

Name: Carolyn
Trailer: Scamp
Tennessee
Wonderful trips

Through the years of our camping experiences we traveled on the many ways of enjoyment, both with tents and later with pull-alongs-from cots to our new Coleman Lantern...many different experiences but two that were most enjoyable was the NatchezTrace and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Take those two-relax and enjoy the easy trips!
Carolyn Bankston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:02 AM   #7

Name: Bill
Trailer: Oliver
North Carolina
If you camp at the federal campground, Linville Falls NC on the BRP there's some nice areas to visit while there. This campground does not have electricity or water at the campsites and they have rest rooms with flush toilets, but no showers.

Hike to Linville Falls and to the top of Table Rock NC. Drive into Wisemans View on Old NC 105, 4WD not required but recommended.

At Pineola NC just off of the BRP Christa's is a good place to eat, head north from BRP on Rt. 181 to Rt. 221 the Italian Restaurant is a good place to eat, too. For those that like chocolate, there's a Chocolate factory downtown Blowing Rock NC, too.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:18 PM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thanks for these suggestions. Nothing like knowing where to go from the locals or others who have been there! Yeah, if I was too worried about a shower every day, a) I wouldn't be travelling in a 13' Scamp and b) I'd probably stay home! The world is full of interesting spots -- what I'm after right now are the slow road that get me to them. If I never had to drive over 45 mph, I'd still be a happy camper, although in this world, probably late.....
Richard Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:07 PM   #9

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Davis View Post
We’re headed toward the US NorthEast coast this Fall, then down into the Carolinas, Virginia, Kentucky, and the like. We discovered the Natchez Trace a few years ago and have heard the Blue Ridge Parkway offers a similar pace. Any suggestions of similar slow roads through places of historic or natural interest? I love to poke along with my 13 foot Scamp, and have zero need for speed. But one needs to know such heavenly roads exist in order to seek them out!
Hi: Richard Davis... Here's a couple of snaps I took of the traffic on the Natchez Trace Pkwy. I forgot it was Sunday and the locals would be in Church!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie;wave
Attached Thumbnails
P1040543.jpg   P1040544.jpg  

Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote