National Parks Annual Pass: Worth it for a month? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-27-2012, 08:55 AM   #1

Name: will
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Washington, D.C.
National Parks Annual Pass: Worth it for a month?

Taking a 1 month road trip, and plan on hitting up yellowstone, tetons, yosimite, grand canyon, redwood, and perhaps a few others.

I was wondering if anyone uses "The National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass" which is $80 for a year, but doesn't seem to get any discounts for hookup sites. The link is:

America the Beautiful - National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass
wklose99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:39 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Personally, I think it's well worth it!

But I am gonna question your itinerary, Are your plans to enjoy yourself or have a marathon of National Parks in your photo album?

Just a suggestion, slow down, visit just a few of them and the surrounding areas. Rather than racking up road miles trying to drive through as many National Parks as you can in a Month.

Basically every place you mentioned has so much to see and do in the surrounding area. As well as the parks are worth a few days stay.

Enjoy!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Will,

I'm with Robin on this. Each of these parks has so much. When ever I visit one I'm always thrilled by the visit but also feel I needed a lot more time. This also applies to places that are on no one's list.

You'll understand when you visit a place like Yellowstone. There's months worth of depth there. A quick tour will leave you wanting and often generate a return agenda which is also OK.

Our initial travel plans originally were for 3 years to see it all. After 11 years we now know we'll never see it all.... and that's good as well.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #4

Washington, D.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
Personally, I think it's well worth it!

But I am gonna question your itinerary, Are your plans to enjoy yourself or have a marathon of National Parks in your photo album?

Just a suggestion, slow down, visit just a few of them and the surrounding areas. Rather than racking up road miles trying to drive through as many National Parks as you can in a Month.

Basically every place you mentioned has so much to see and do in the surrounding area. As well as the parks are worth a few days stay.

Enjoy!
Well were doing a loop around the US in one month, and hitting up some NPs along the way. I couldn't take any longer off work so we're making do with what we can. I am sure I will revisit them one day!
Old 07-27-2012, 10:14 AM   #5

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
BTW, how old are you? If you are 62 and older you can get a lifetime pass for $10. See: U.S. National Park ServiceAmerica the Beautiful
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #6

Washington, D.C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusedlight View Post
BTW, how old are you? If you are 62 and older you can get a lifetime pass for $10. See: U.S. National Park ServiceAmerica the Beautiful

I am 26!
Old 07-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #7

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by wklose99 View Post
I am 26!
Heh... a few years to catch up to me then.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Budget cuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusedlight View Post
This past April my wife and I drove to the closest national park to us (50 miles) There was only one ranger for the whole park (Budget cut) and she informed us that our Congress was looking at eliminating the Senior pass as a budget cutting measure. She said that anyone who has the pass will be able to retain it but no new passes would be issued if the changes as proposed were passed into law . It might be smart if you are old enough to get the Seniors pass to obtain it now , $10.00 is cheap insurance!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #9

Name: Imogene
Trailer: 2013 Casita
Missouri
Wonder if you can get duplicate passes? or apply several times? The older I get the harder it is to find things....I need one for the billfold, the purse, the safety deposit box, inside the egg, inside the TV. Glad I've got one....
Imo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Local attractions

Will
It's worth it. When your vacation is over you can use it on fall weekends to visit Shenanodah NP to checkout the leaves and other Park Service locations in the D.C. area during the year.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:38 PM   #11

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by wklose99 View Post
Well were doing a loop around the US in one month, and hitting up some NPs along the way. I couldn't take any longer off work so we're making do with what we can. I am sure I will revisit them one day!

I understand, time off issue! Been there done that. And your young enough to take a marathon National Park tour , but what I am trying to suggest is (from someone who's been there done that) step back, take in the beauty and not make your vacation crazy!
Everyone of the Parks you mentioned are well worth the time spent there. And that doesn't even begin to explain the things you missed along the marathon vacation. There is so much to see and do along the way, take the time to enjoy it!

I understand the thinking that your traveling so far, see as much as you can, but I still think your burning pavement and not enjoying life! Just my thoughts......................

Certainly can't make your vacation plans for you, only suggesting that you perhaps only try to hit some of them and enjoy your self along the way!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:20 PM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I bought an annual pass the past two years in a row. In 2010 I visited 5 national parks, in 2011 I made it to 4. Each park has their own entrance fee, but the annual pass covers all of them. If one were planning to go to 4 or 5 in a year and pay each fee separately, one would spend about as much as an annual pass. So why not just get the pass, I figure. The annual is good for a calendar year.... actually 13 months is possible if you buy it early in the month.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #13

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
I think you should buy the pass and make a run at your plan and enjoy! At your age(s) you should have plenty of stamina for it. Take lots of pictures drive safe and have a ball.
When she got out of the navy in Maine my daughter and I drove to California with her cat. It took just over a week and we hit Cheers in Boston, Niagara Falls, Wall Drug, Badlands, Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Yellowstone, Great Salt Lake, and Reno plus lots of places we we spent a couple days in Yellowstone and one exploring the Falls.
Overall it was the best road trip I've ever been on.
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #14

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
Definitely get the pass. I live 20 minutes from Zion np, and go there hiking 3 to4 times a year. Also, to Bryce and Death Valley at least 1x a year. At $25 entrance fee per car, it is well worth the $80.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:45 AM   #15

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
I got the pass last year for an Arizona, Utah, Colorado trip and definitely saved money with it. If you go to the nps.gov website you can check the entrance fee for each park you plan to visit, then add it up.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:19 AM   #16

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Do not forget the National Parks located closer to you, in Maine, Virginia, Kentucky, Florida, Tennessee. These can be seen via a 3 day weekend.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:12 AM   #17
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I don't think you should get the pass. I think when you actually get to say Yellowstone/Teton you are going to want to stay much longer than you think. Even if that one doesn't slow you down, the next one will. There is just so much to take in. If you don't have the pass and do everything you hope, the NPS makes a few bucks more. They can use the money. Having the pass might make you hurry when it's better to linger and fully appreciate where you are. In any event have a safe trip. Oh, and in exchange for our advice we expect you to post a few pictures of your journey. Take care, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:43 AM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I agree with the less is more crowd. Having extensively traveled to our national parks, I'm amazed at how many people skid in, hop out and take a few photos and tear off again. Even in a very crowded park, you can walk 100 yards from the parking lot and see almost no one.

I'd advocate for spending quality time at a few parks and saving the rest for another time. It's all about the journey not the destination(s).
Old 07-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #19

Trailer: Scamp
If you are 62 you can purchase a lifetime pass to all National Parks for just $10.00. You cannot purchase online, you need to purchase at a National Park. What a deal!
Diane G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #20

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Don't let them talk you out of your dream but definitely get the pass. We recently returned from a western states loop (see blog) and now have an even longer list of places to go back and spend more time.
www.justfinding.blogspot.com
John & BJ S. is offline   Reply With Quote