Need help finding an LA campspot - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-28-2006, 11:50 PM   #1

Name: Linda and Dale and Dallas the cat
Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
California
Last time we were in LA working, we were told about a great campground. We had to get back to Oregon so didn't look for it at the time. Now we are going to be spending another week down there and wondered if anyone can help us find the campground.

We were told it was on the beach, at the end of the runway. They told us that since it was under the flight path houses couldn't go there so a park was built where self contained rvs could stay. Someone said it was run by the city?

Thanks for any help.

Old 11-29-2006, 12:20 AM   #2

California
I think I found the place. Anyone ever try the Dockweiler Beach Park? I guess I will call tomorrow and see if we can get in.

Old 11-29-2006, 10:44 PM   #3

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
I have never heard of it, but I am thinking it won't be the most peaceful place on earth.

Nor the cleanest. I frequently leave my car at the airport and the parking lot is right under the take off pattern. I practically have to Chisel the plane "poo" off the thing after leaving it for only a day. I assume it's crunchy jet exhuast leavings with a bit of slime mixed in for good measure.

Is this LAX? Not exactly a lonely airfield...
Old 11-30-2006, 08:49 AM   #4

Name: Des and Diane (D & D)
Trailer: Boler 1300, 1977 (#2033, "L EGGO")
Ontario
Quote:
I have never heard of it, but I am thinking it won't be the most peaceful place on earth.

Nor the cleanest. I frequently leave my car at the airport and the parking lot is right under the take off pattern. I practically have to Chisel the plane "poo" off the thing after leaving it for only a day. I assume it's crunchy jet exhuast leavings with a bit of slime mixed in for good measure.

Is this LAX? Not exactly a lonely airfield...
We are certainly not experts in this area, but, last year were quite happy camping at private "Malibu RV Park" on Highway 101 - great ocean view - and commuting in to LA.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:52 AM   #5

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
The only thing I've ever heard about it was the noise from the planes
but closeness to the beach.
Some folks were able to ignore the noise and others were unable to sleep.
We'll be interested in your up-to-date, first hand evaluation.
The options for camping appear to be few and far between in the area.
Kurt & Ann K.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:40 AM   #6

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Linda and Dale,

Dockweilers is one of the places I've considered if I "ever" get down south. I don't know anyone who has ever stayed there.

It's listed in a Camp book I have and listed as near Manhattan Beach. 12 miles south on the 405 freeway then west about 4 miles on the Imperial highway, 117 sites, 82 full hoookups. Looks like all the amendities.

OH, and yes it is south of LAX so the airplanes noise would be obvious and on the map there is a LA Airforce base shown between LAX and Manhattan Beach but on the east side of the freeway. But hey, noise might trouble some and not others.

Give it a go and let me know.

I've also thought about Malibu RV park it might be your better bet if you want quite. Malibu Canyon road area bring to mind mudslides when it's wet and rainy. But Hey, that's just me.
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 01:27 PM   #7

Trailer: Cadet 1985 / 2006 Element
Quote:
Linda and Dale,

OH, and yes it is south of LAX so the airplanes noise would be obvious and on the map there is a [b]LA Airforce base shown between LAX and Manhattan Beach but on the east side of the freeway. But hey, noise might trouble some and not others.
There are no aircraft at LA Air Force Base, just buildings and people.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:22 PM   #8

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft / Dodge V-6 PU
Here is a link to the park. It is a state park but I think it's operated by LA County. And it is JUST south of the end of the LAX airport runway. Hmmmm. But it is right there in LA.

http://beaches.co.la.ca.us/BandH/Beaches/D...eilerRVPark.htm
Old 12-02-2006, 09:15 PM   #9

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
We are planning trip to LA to visit our son some time next summer.

Would like to here from anyone that stays at Dockweiler Beach Park.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 10:01 PM   #10

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft / Dodge V-6 PU
Here is an aerial view of the RV park:

http://maps.yahoo.com/index.php#mvt=h&...28366&mag=1

You can see it is right on the ocean! What a great LA location. It would be a camping destination you'd always remember!
Old 12-08-2006, 06:29 PM   #11

California
Okay, we stayed there last night. And will probibly never stay there again. It is very LA.
First, they put a tall sand dune in to block the wind but it also blocks the view from what they say are park front view lots. Everything is the same. Guess the back row must have had a view from the larger RVs but trailers, no.

Next. There was very expensive RVs and very needy rvs. They first wanted to put us next to a twenty year old small motor home that had eight adults sleeping in it. As well as three pitbulls. Someone had just gotten paid and they were celebrating. Then they put us down by the end and it wasn't so bad. It is probibly a good place if you needed to be close to LA and have hookups but if you want peace from people it isn't a good place to go. Basically it is just a large parking lot with hookups. We didn't feel like we could safely leave our trailer and go into town. There was just to many people randomly walking around.

We looked at several other campgrounds. San Clemente was nice as was Carlsbad. They didn't have hookups for the $30 a night but they did have a view and fairly private spots.

We did enjoy our time at Aqua Caliente Hotsprings in eastern San Diego county. At $18.00 a night we got full hook ups, or electric and water with a dump station depending on how close you wanted to park to the pools. Soaking time was from 9:30 to 5 and a little longer on the weekends. A nice spot even if we couldn't get on line or use our cell phones. It was good to get away from all that for a few days anyway.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:02 PM   #12

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Linda, if you are willing to go that far, then this place would work for you, if you are still in the area

Canyon RV Park

I am currently living here for a long term work project. It's expensive (45 a nite) but it is gated, in a lovely green area and right on the Santa Ana River in the wetlands preserve area. Very nice place, like a campground with all the niceties you expect from an RV Park.

Full hook ups in every spot, large spots as well.

Come on over! I am not here during the day, but have Sunday off (oh joy) Will be here two weeks.