Need new spots for Vancouver Island Camping - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-20-2015, 10:34 PM   #1

Name: Naomi
Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 Foot
British Columbia
Need new spots for Vancouver Island Camping

Hi Folks. We have a 13 foot 1972 Boler and looking for some new-to-us camping spots on Vancouver Island for August 2015. We travel to the Island each summer so have stayed at lots of places but looking for some new places to fall in love with! We have current reservations in the Courtenay/Comox area and Parksville. Would strongly prefer something with a water view and a walkable beach or river area would be great, must have electricity and someplace not too windy as we have an add-a-room that we put up. Any recommendations would be truly appreciated. Thanks!!
Boler Babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:31 PM   #2

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Hi Naomi,

There is a little one in Crofton, on the water. Osborne Bay Resort Crofton BC Vancouver Island
Have not stayed there, but have driven through. Our group, when it was smaller, used to stay there.

There are a couple of little sights down on the water at Living Forest that you can use with the boler. Can be a bit noisy and not very private as everyone walks along the river front there.

There are also a couple of nice ones on Quadra.

We prefer prov. parks and others off the grid. Most that have a view are very expensive and booked well in advance. Try posting the question on the Island Bolers Facebook page, as many of our group like to be hooked up when camping.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:26 PM   #3

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
LOL...geez Boler Babe....

you don't ask for muchg do ya? water view, beach and NO WIND???? where you gonna find that???? oh and with power too!!!....heck, why don't you throw in "inexpensive" and "quiet" while you're at it?

I'm mid Island and travel mostly north of Campbell River....I don't often stay in commercial campgrounds (bushwack most of the time)...but I have one candidate that is close to your wish list...Cluxewee just north of Port McNeill... (First Nation owned campground right on the ocean)....was a bit too busy for my taste in August but would certainly go back during shoulder season....(too many "rabid" sport fishermen when I was there) could be windy when you're there though

and as a stop on the way up or down...there's a nice one in Sayward (the old FisherBoy, new name now)....no water or beach there though

How about the two on Quadra??? Are we talking about Heriot Bay??? the hotel there and the prov. park on Rebecca Spit......if not I'd be interested.....would like to go back to Quadra and paddle Main Lake some day....TIA
Attached Thumbnails
bthh.jpg   bth1.jpg  

btggg.jpg   btme.jpg  

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 06:33 PM   #4

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
On Quadra i was thinking of Rebecca spit and Tsa-Kwa-Luten Lodge. The Lodge is near the lighthouse and looks over at Campbell River. The cruise ships go right past your door. Small camping area when we were there.

Cluxewee is one of our favourites as well, thought it can definitely be windy. We know a number of people that also like Alder Bay Resort/Telegraph Bay. - ocean views and cruise ship watching. Have never been there.

Tofino area has Bella Pacifica - drove around it and saw that the sites are private and have good windbreaks, but unless you are in a waterfront site there is no view.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:50 PM   #5

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Triple E
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boler Babe View Post
Hi Folks. We have a 13 foot 1972 Boler and looking for some new-to-us camping spots on Vancouver Island for August 2015. We travel to the Island each summer so have stayed at lots of places but looking for some new places to fall in love with! We have current reservations in the Courtenay/Comox area and Parksville. Would strongly prefer something with a water view and a walkable beach or river area would be great, must have electricity and someplace not too windy as we have an add-a-room that we put up. Any recommendations would be truly appreciated. Thanks!!
Why not come across the water from Courtenay Comox, and try Willingdon beach in Powell River, or possibly SunLund campground in Lund

Gerry
Gerry Kiernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:04 PM   #6

Name: Shawnna
Trailer: Ventura
British Columbia
Pachena bay on the west coast is stunning, Its quite the drive though a few hours down active logging roads but Its worth it once you get there. The camp ground is run and on the first nations land and is fantastic! I highly recommend it!!
Msmootsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:33 PM   #7
scf

Name: Steve
Trailer: 98 Scamp 16
British Columbia
Qualicum First Nation Campground on the Old Island Highwayjust north of Qualicum Beach looks like a very nice place to park for a few days. Just drove through this campground in the past week and had a look. Campsites right on the beach with power and water with a dump station on the property. Lots of room behind the beachfront camping area with grass and trees in a parklike setting. Beach looks not too bad for walking, great view across the strait. $37 per night. It will be busy in the summer months but will still be worth it if you get a site (#'s 1 through 12 look awesome. We are going to try it in May or June.
Cape Lazo Campground out on the Comox Peninsula is very nice (but expensive - $45 per night). Just steps to a great walking beach and just on the outskirts of Comox Town. Check out the website: http://www.capelazo.com
Happy Bolering!
Scamper Steve
scf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:15 PM   #8

Name: Naomi
Trailer: 1972 Boler 13 Foot
British Columbia
Thanks to all you kind folks who have responded. You have given me some great ideas and I appreciate them very much! Happy Camping this summer!
Boler Babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:54 AM   #9

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Triple E
British Columbia
Hi Naomi

I have not been able to open your private message. If you would like to learn more about camping on this side of the strait email me at gkkiernan@gmail.com.

Gerry
Gerry Kiernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:37 AM   #10

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
this was a great find/surprise....

how about a spot with great views, power and water...cheap...and just about deserted???? you gotta admit that sounds like a very rare animal

Seven Hills Golf Club....a short drive from Port McNeill on the road to Port Alice

I had played golf there some years ago (pre-trailer days)....it's a full size 9 hole course and it's long....it's a community owned GC....the large clubhouse is located at the highest point of the property...unusual and it makes for beautiful views of the surrounding mountains

We stopped there last summer (mid august) with the trailer in tow and golf clubs in the TV...checked in at the clubhouse to make arrangements..... two 9 hole green fees, with a power cart... and a parking spot for the night came to 75 bucks!!! I did not expect services..but there they were...power and water (bonus)

As it turns out, besides the caretaker who lives in a trailer, we were the only people there....it happened to be the night of a "super moon" and a fantastic place to take in that view....played golf the next morning at around ten o'clock (a monday) and as far as I could tell there were only two other groups on the whole golf course!!! it was fabulous....
Attached Thumbnails
bti.jpg   btii.jpg  

btiii.jpg   btjjj.jpg  

btiiii.jpg   btk.jpg  

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:26 AM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
There are lots of great spots to camp on the island sat the water that don't have power and I see that most of the ones I know of that do have power have been mentioned,

Another spot is in Port Renfrew called Pacheedaht Campground that offers sites on the water and does have power as well.

A spot with no power or water (bring your own) but they do have showers is Mussel Beach which gives you good easy access to kayaking in the Barkley Sound's Broken Group Islands.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote