New England Camping in April? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-14-2014, 12:21 PM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John G in Ontario View Post
Hi Dave,here is a list of the requirements in order to Import a dog into Canada. P.S. I work for CBSA.
John.
Rabies Vaccination Certificate
Thanks John for posting that as I have seen so many people post miss info in regards to the actual requirements for vaccinations for dogs here many times!!!

In my experience in having taken dogs back and forth dozens of times the requirements for the USA are pretty well the same as going into Canada.... also they are pretty equal in regards to actually asking for the certificate!

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:00 PM   #16

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 2004 Casita Liberty 17
British Columbia
John, could you also comment on the regulations about bringing dog food in to Canada as we buy our dog food in the States and I know lately they have been asking more questions re: what is in it and quantities.
Thanks.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:20 PM   #17

British Columbia
Registry
Be warned that the US changes its policy frequently regarding what types of pet food are permitted into the USA. Currently the deal is the dog food can be made in Canada or the USA but must be sealed and clearly state its ingredients and where made!! Pet food containing lamb, sheep or goat meat is prohibited.

I always suggest checking the US Website Pet Food from Canada for the latest info.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:54 PM   #18

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Florida
Registry
Thanks for that link Carol H. I'm forwarding it to a friend traveling with furball this summer.
Sherry
Old 03-14-2014, 07:32 PM   #19

Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Registry
dave- the ramada inn in lewiston, maine, has rv parking/camping out the back of their hotel. there are plug-ins but no sewer services. they charge $15/night and provide a key to their pool/whirlpool/gym/sauna with towels. these sites are used year-round. snowbirds overnight there and lots of snowmobilers use it as a base-camp while off exploring the local trails. they are right off the I95 and easy to get to.
perhaps inquiring about staying plus potentially dropping your trailer could prove fruitful.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:32 PM   #20

British Columbia
Registry
Its a handy site to check - as I said the rules re dog food for whatever reason change from time to time.... whats funny is they don't even let some of the dog foods that are made in the USA back into the USA even when its a major well known manufacturer ... strange but true. LOL Carry small bags and if possible cross with them with the original seal on them. Most of the major brands of dog food are readily available in both countries so there shouldn't be a real need to pack big bags of it. Have had more than one friend have their dogs food taken and dumped because they either had an open bag or had it in a plastic storage container.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:48 PM   #21

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Have had more than one friend have their dogs food taken and dumped because they either had an open bag or had it in a plastic storage container.
Any idea which side of the border they dumped it on?

Old 03-14-2014, 08:03 PM   #22

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Any idea which side of the border they dumped it on?

maybe they just feed it to their dogs!
Old 03-14-2014, 11:48 PM   #23

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 2004 Casita Liberty 17
British Columbia
Thanks Carol, good website to keep for sure.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:40 PM   #24

Name: David
Trailer: U-Haul CT13
South Carolina
Thanks to all for all the great info.

We have our pups Rabies Vaccination Certificate and our records of other vaccinations (both were in for their yearlies in February) all ready in their folder. I hadn't thought about getting the small bags of dog food, so that will be done also.
We are paring down our itinerary as time gets closer, the big question now is what we will find to be our comfort level when it comes to daily driving mileage. I am having to figure on several different routes based on best guesses; we will find that out when were are on the road.
Thanks again, Dave
Old 03-15-2014, 06:47 PM   #25

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Daily driving mileage is always variable with us. Depends on where we are going and what we want to see. Some days we did 8 to 10 hours of driving time. Other days it was just a couple hours as we moved along from one campground to another that we wanted to check out. Only a couple days we didn't have reservations, and called ahead to be sure of a site and office hours. Usually we will plan and make reservations months ahead. Our winter site is reserved for the next 3 years.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:25 PM   #26

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Dave View Post
Thanks to all for all the great info.

We have our pups Rabies Vaccination Certificate and our records of other vaccinations (both were in for their yearlies in February) all ready in their folder. I hadn't thought about getting the small bags of dog food, so that will be done also.
Dave the only certificate either border patrol will be interested in is the Rabies Vaccination certificate. You can save yourself some space and leave the rest at home unless you find them useful to have with you in the event you need to take the dog to the vet while traveling. I kept a little note on my Phone of the details re vaccinations & meds & any major health issues, vet phone numbers, blood type if known etc of the dogs that have traveled with me as well as all my neighbours dogs who I take out hiking with me when at home & owners are at work. I also carry a recent photo of each dog on the phone which I can easily have printed off if god forbid one of them goes missing.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:35 PM   #27

Name: David
Trailer: U-Haul CT13
South Carolina
Good idea about the photos, Carol. Hopefully they will not be needed except to show off our pups (if they are not by our sides). I figure the vet records will be handy if for some reason we need to do emergency boarding or trip to the vet. Peace of mind...