New England Camping in April? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2014, 08:48 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: Between campers
South Carolina
New England Camping in April?

We are planning a trip to Nova Scotia in late April through mid May. While in Nova Scotia we are staying in a cottage, but on the way up and back we will be in our UHaul.
Does anyone have any recommendations for campsites in Vermont, New Hampshire or Maine during the April 24-27 dates? Looking in the RV Travel guide it appears that most are not open by then in that region., but on the way back it should be OK.
I was also thinking about leaving the camper in Maine as we drive up through Canada. Does anyone have any recommendations on a storage area to park it for about a week in?
I realize that this is not the optimal season for this type of trip in New England and Canada, but that is when my wife is taking a sabbatical and I can take a bit of time of work in my off season. Any advice will be helpful and appreciated.
Thanks,
Camper Dave
Camper Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:03 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
The only advice I can give is to be sure to call ahead to insure the campground you choose is open. Many in the area don't open until Memorial Day...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 08:11 PM   #3

South Carolina
Thanks Jon, I will do that. I hope that I can find some campsites along our route that are open. If I can't come across any that are open, I may get to see how the UHaul does in Boondock Mode: I will be taking a generator with us!

Take care,
Dave
Old 03-08-2014, 08:50 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
You can leave the camper at our house in upstate NY if you want. We are just off I90 near the MA line, 4 hours from southern Maine. We have only stayed at one campground in Maine, Dixon's, near Ogunquit, and only one night. Our son lives near Bangor but doesn't have space to leave a camper.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 06:36 AM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
In VT. Only Wilgus state park is open in April and that's on the 28th. A private campground would be your best bet.

Vermont State Parks

In NH. In the past at least one of the campgrounds on the Kancamagus highway in the NH White Mountain National forest is open year round. That simply means that the gate is open and they plow. Typically Blackberry crossing on the Conway side or Hancock on the Lincoln side. Best call to be sure.

Oh, and wear you woolies, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:34 AM   #6

New York
Dave; do you have the campground guides from Woodalls or Trailer Life? I looked through my Woodalls for campgrounds in Maine. Most open May 1 or mid May. Found a few open all year at: Bangor, Jackman,Naples, and Weld. A few open mid April at: Bangor, Hanover, York, Oquossoc, Poland and Standish. You should be able to get storage at a RV dealer, found one in Holden, another at Old Orchard Beach. I got my Woodalls books at AAA.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:39 AM   #7

South Carolina
Thanks for the replies. It sounds like Vermont and New Hampshire may be out for the trip up; we may jump from eastern New York to Maine. On our way back in May we will probably pass through N.H. (hopefully hitting the Kancamagus) and Vermont as we want to spend a little time in the Adirondack region.

Thank you for the offer Bob. Depending on how our planning goes, we may take you up on the storage offer but we hope to be putting the UHaul to use in Maine. We will be travelling with 2 dogs (One at 9.5 lbs., but my Chesapeake Bay Retriever is 95 lbs.) and even though "pet friendly motels" are easier to find than they used to be, it would be less stressful knowing that we are pulling our own motel room!
Thanks for the tip on the Woodalls guide. We have just picked up the RV Travel Guide at our local Camping World and starting to digest the info there.
We will probably be passing near you on the route up. If we can work the timing out we would love to meet you and Mary and see what you have done with your UHaul.

Thanks again, Dave
Old 03-09-2014, 09:28 AM   #8

New York
We are easy to get to, right on a main highway. We were just in SC last week on our way back north from wintering on the coast of Georgia. Stayed at Huntington Beach, then went up route 29 to I64, then I81 to 78 in PA to I287 in NJ and up I87 which we exit 25 miles from home. Stop by if we're home, but we do have a trip scheduled the last weekend of April. We may also be on your route home from the Adirondaks.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:13 PM   #9

New York
Just occurred to us that the black flies can be really bad in the Adirondaks in May. We have been there at that time of year a couple times. One time many in our group went into town to buy the mesh "bug suits" and hats. We do a teardrop rally first weekend in June in the Adirondaks and they are usually gone by then.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:58 PM   #10

South Carolina
Thanks for the information, I had not thought about the blackflies.

Our route up is not firm yet, but we will probably head up I-85 then through the Pennsylvania Dutch country, cruise through Eastern NY, through southern Vermont and NH (or maybe northern Mass.), into Maine, through New Brunswick and into Nova Scotia. Considering that this is our first trip with the UHaul, pretty ambitious!

If the timing works out Patti and I would love to get together with you on the way up or back. We will be getting more precise with the plans as time draws closer.
Thanks again, Dave and Patti
Old 03-11-2014, 09:14 PM   #11

New York
the route we just took up from the Myrtle Beach area was; went over to route 29, up to I64 in VA, then over to I81. Couple campgrounds open near I64. Misty Mountain near Charlottesville, and a KOA near Staunton. We did the KOA on our way south in November. Coming home last week we did a motel in New Market VA, too cold to camp, it was late, we were trying to make time for home. We generally take I81 up through PA to I84 and over to I87 north. We try to avoid I95. Amish are in the Lancaster area, most around Bird-in-Hand, been there. Have seen them along I81 too. Nice farms. The most direct route from our area to Maine is via I90 (MASS Pike) to I495 to I95. Ogunquit and Perkins Cove in southern Maine is nice. LL Bean home store further up in Freeport. Southern VT is nice, but the main route across is Rt 9 which is hilly and twisty. All along the coast of Maine is nice via route 1. Kittery Trading Post on Rt 1 as you get into Maine, then just up the road is Stonewall Kitchen. White Mountain area of NH is nice, we were there for a few days last two years. If you are on Route 1 in Waldoboro Maine you have to eat at Moodys Diner. Check out the rope door mats in their gift shop. We've been up & down the Maine coast a lot, friends lived in Rockland for years, and our son is in Orono, near Old Town where canoes and kayaks are made. If you end up going through New Jersey you can't pump your own gas there, some state law prohibits it. We try to avoid NJ too! If you're using a GPS, don't get on the Taconic Parkway, no trailers allowed on any NY Parkway.Keep in touch, hope we can connect.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:35 PM   #12

South Carolina
Thanks for all that info. Patti and I have been up to Nova Scotia back in the early 2000's and hit several of the Maine spots you mention- even bought a canoe at the factory in Old Town. I have also done some solo motorcycle trips up that way, the last being up the Atlantic coast from Virginia to Maine, then back through New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia (I-81), North Carolina and South Carolina. I even hit the Taconic Parkway and had thought about going that way on this trip, so thanks about the "no trailers" law!
Old 03-14-2014, 05:40 AM   #13

Name: Roamin’
Trailer: 2018 13’ Scamp Standard, formerly had a 2005 13’ Scamp standard
New Hampshire
sounds like a fun trip! I am hoping to camp mid April this year in New England, possibly with some antifreeze in the black tank like I did last year.
p.s. dog friendly motels are all over new england now, just fyi, and do check on the rabies vaccination requirement to enter Canada and re-enter the U.S. I remember something about needing vaccination within the previous 6 mos. last time I did it with dogs. Happy Traveling!
DogHaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:44 AM   #14

Name: John
Trailer: Golden Falcon,Corsair,Dutchman,1968 Boler #065
Ontario
Rabies Vacination

Hi Dave,here is a list of the requirements in order to Import a dog into Canada. P.S. I work for CBSA.
John.
Rabies Vaccination Certificate

The rabies vaccination certificate must:
  • be written in English or French;
  • be issued and signed by a licensed veterinarian;
  • identify the animal (as in breed, colour, and weight);
  • state that the animal is vaccinated against rabies;
  • indicate the date of vaccination;
  • indicate the trade name and the serial number of the licensed vaccine; and
  • specify the duration of immunity (otherwise, it will be considered valid for one year from the date of vaccination).
John G in Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:21 AM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John G in Ontario View Post
Hi Dave,here is a list of the requirements in order to Import a dog into Canada. P.S. I work for CBSA.
John.
Rabies Vaccination Certificate
Thanks John for posting that as I have seen so many people post miss info in regards to the actual requirements for vaccinations for dogs here many times!!!

In my experience in having taken dogs back and forth dozens of times the requirements for the USA are pretty well the same as going into Canada.... also they are pretty equal in regards to actually asking for the certificate!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:00 PM   #16

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
John, could you also comment on the regulations about bringing dog food in to Canada as we buy our dog food in the States and I know lately they have been asking more questions re: what is in it and quantities.
Thanks.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:20 PM   #17

Registry
Be warned that the US changes its policy frequently regarding what types of pet food are permitted into the USA. Currently the deal is the dog food can be made in Canada or the USA but must be sealed and clearly state its ingredients and where made!! Pet food containing lamb, sheep or goat meat is prohibited.

I always suggest checking the US Website Pet Food from Canada for the latest info.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:54 PM   #18

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Thanks for that link Carol H. I'm forwarding it to a friend traveling with furball this summer.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:32 PM   #19

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
dave- the ramada inn in lewiston, maine, has rv parking/camping out the back of their hotel. there are plug-ins but no sewer services. they charge $15/night and provide a key to their pool/whirlpool/gym/sauna with towels. these sites are used year-round. snowbirds overnight there and lots of snowmobilers use it as a base-camp while off exploring the local trails. they are right off the I95 and easy to get to.
perhaps inquiring about staying plus potentially dropping your trailer could prove fruitful.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 06:32 PM   #20

Registry
Its a handy site to check - as I said the rules re dog food for whatever reason change from time to time.... whats funny is they don't even let some of the dog foods that are made in the USA back into the USA even when its a major well known manufacturer ... strange but true. LOL Carry small bags and if possible cross with them with the original seal on them. Most of the major brands of dog food are readily available in both countries so there shouldn't be a real need to pack big bags of it. Have had more than one friend have their dogs food taken and dumped because they either had an open bag or had it in a plastic storage container.