New Orleans LA - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2017, 07:18 AM   #1

Name: Don
Trailer: Shopping
Alabama
New Orleans LA

Can someone recommend a nice place to stay between Baton Rouge and New Orleans LA?

We have a 13ft so we can fit pretty much any spot
dcs02d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:42 AM   #2

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
If you decide to stay in NOLA, I highly recommend Pontchartrain Landing on France Dr. It is north of the chaos and crime of the city, just off of the lake. You are surrounded by boats and docks. Just don't let your GPS bring you in on France from the south. That way is lousy. Come in on Press which is a parallel street. It is an primarily an RV park so there are some pricey rigs in there, but small campers are welcome too. There is a full restaurant and bar there that are also nice. Showers and restrooms are available and more like your house than a campground. Passport America members pay $39 a night.

If you prefer to stay north of the lake, there are two Passport America campgrounds east of Hammond, just north of I-12. Hidden Oaks is $25 for PA members, and Yogi Bear Jellystone is $22.50-$35 for PA members.

Yeah, I like discounts when I can get them.
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:23 AM   #3

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
You might try some of the state parks in the area:

Parks and Preservation Area | Louisiana State Parks

On the north shore of Lake Pontchartrain there are Fairview-Riverside and Fontainebleau State Parks. More centrally located between NO and Baton Rouge is Tickfaw State Park.

I have no personal experience with any of these, but you can get information at the site above. Online reviews are good.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:43 AM   #4

Name: Don
Trailer: Shopping
Alabama
Thanks for the suggestions.
dcs02d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:54 AM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
We stayed at Bayou Segnette State Park for four nights in February. From there we drove to the French Quarter and other local attractions. Enjoyed it very much.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:17 AM   #6

Name: Kate & Mark
Trailer: 16' Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
You read my mind.

I was just going to ask the same question about N.O., we are planning a southern swing after Scamp Camp in FL.
So also thanks for the thoughts. Are things busy camping in February, will we need reservations at private or State Parks?
Mark P49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:29 PM   #7

Michigan
Registry
After NOLA, we stopped in Natchez, MS then drove the Natchez Trace Parkway back north (50 mph speed limit) for 400 miles. Really enjoyed all of this.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:39 PM   #8

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark P49 View Post
I was just going to ask the same question about N.O., we are planning a southern swing after Scamp Camp in FL.
So also thanks for the thoughts. Are things busy camping in February, will we need reservations at private or State Parks?
Driving East and West in January and March we found all the state parks we used would fill up in the afternoon. An awful lot of folks wandering back and forth on I-10 in the winter. Some were full on weekends even early in the afternoon. Didn't check any commercial parks.

The need for reservations would depend on your camping style. A quick look at the mentioned Bayou Segnette SP for 4 nights starting Feb 9 shows only 32 of 123 are still available.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:20 PM   #9

Michigan
Registry
We were able to go into Bayou Segnette SP on Monday, Feb 6 and stay through Saturday, Feb 10 without a reservation. However, we checked for several days in advance online before doing this. I would NOT recommend trying to check in on a Friday or Saturday in Jan-Mar without a reservation. Also this won't work for Mardi Gras and other major events.