Newbie maiden campout - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2006, 09:50 PM   #1

Trailer: 72 Compact Jr
Registry
Hi all!

I took my Compact Jr up to the mountains (foothills of Mt Adams) for the first time for a real camp-out (no hook-ups and no people)! Wow, was that ever great! The only sounds were birds, critters and the wind blowing throung the trees. It seems that many of my former camping spots are no longer popular because they do not have water anymore. All the better for me. (I have been "Van camped" off of logging roads for the past 5 years, so I have not visited camp grounds much).

Everything worked great, even fired up the furnace to check how well it works. It was kind of chilly and damp, then in 10 mins. it was OK and dry, and after another 10mins the place was cooking!

It towed well up into the mountains, I actually like the gravel roads better that the paved forest roads because you know the gravel ones WILL have lots of pot holes. I'm going to have to pay attention to the amount of water I use from the tank, doesn't tow well when it is empty. That was the only hitch!

Sharyl
Sharyl Allender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 10:06 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Glad your first outing was a success!

I have camped in my VW bus and in tents all along the Mt. Hood logging roads. Can't beat it, if you can get away with it.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 10:29 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Glad your first outing was a success!

I have camped in my VW bus and in tents all along the Mt. Hood logging roads. Can't beat it, if you can get away with it.
HUH??? What do you get away with it?

By the way we don't call them roads logging roads anymore. It's been 20 years since I've seen a log truck on any forest roads. Some now paved and mainly used for recreation.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:36 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
Hmm . . . us Oregonian's will have to compare notes on camping locations . . . If you share, I promise not to mess up your favorite sites or tell any loud messy people about them
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 08:20 PM   #5

Trailer: 72 Compact Jr
Registry
Quote:
Hmm . . . us Oregonian's will have to compare notes on camping locations . . . If you share, I promise not to mess up your favorite sites or tell any loud messy people about them

I've been "Van Camping" on the south side of Mt. St. Helens for the past 5 years, N of Cougar WA. Great hikking areas and good photos. I also like Clear Lake (SE of Salem on the other side of the pass), and Tillicum on Mt Adams. And you?

Sharyl
Sharyl Allender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:13 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I've been "Van Camping" on the south side of Mt. St. Helens for the past 5 years, N of Cougar WA. Great hikking areas and good photos. I also like Clear Lake (SE of Salem on the other side of the pass), and Tillicum on Mt Adams. And you?

Sharyl
If you like quiet try Park Meadow, not a campground. It's off 22 on the west side of the pass. Another quiet spot is Tule Lake, again off 22 on the west side and not a campground. Above Sweet Home there's a nice place with a couple site (not a campground) on quartzville creek. If you're wedded to campgrounds there's Yellow Bottom in quartzville creek area. Little Crater Lake in the Mt Hood area, with a very nice meadow, and good hiking.

For a different experience head for Pine Mountain. It's out of Bend towards Burns. You turn south at the Milicome Store. Climp to the top where there's a no fee campground, no water either, no garbarge service, but there's potty. Across from the campground is the Pine Mountain Observatory. It's open to the public on the week-ends, go look through the 24" scope at the stars, or planets.

As I said someplace else, my favorite camping spot is the one I haven't camped at yet or the last one I camped at. We like to explore so we very seldom go to the same place twice.