NL Caravan 2016 - Page 12 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-27-2016, 04:50 PM   #155

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Hope your not getting tired of kindness. Yesterday our new neighbors, Paul and Paula offered us a cod dinner after a five minute conversation. Tonight they brought over fried scallops cooked in scrumptious, the scallops right off the boat. I love Newfoundlanders.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 01:10 PM   #156

Florida
Newfoundland is the Best

Everytime I come here I absolutely lose my mind. It's so wonderful. All the Caravan is off to a 2 hour boat ride down Western Pond, a former Fiord, a really great ride among steep cliffs.

Ginny and I went out for lunch at Java Jacks, it sounds like a place out of New England but I assure you it is not) a place where they serve wonderful food, serving it graciously and with a kindness.

We both had wonderful soups, and great Newfie desserts. I also had an Italian Strawberry soda, like the juice of ripe strawberries being squeezed on my tongue. I never figure out how Newfoundland pulls all these different foods and drinks together.

After lunch Ginny and I hustled off to the local radio studio for a Labrador Tea. Labrador tea is made from leaves from bog rhododendron, potentially toxic but very good. We arrived to end up with two seats beside the musicians, Ciog, a Celtic fiddle driven group from Cape Breton, NS. After a half hour of their vigorous foot tapping music one almost feels exhausted. This was balanced by Harry Martin, a signature, story telling musician from Labrador.

We had seen Ciog the night before but could not really see the fiddle players feet, just hear the result. Each fiddle player, both women, move their feet differently and even more amazingly within a pair each foot moves differently. Ginny and I are trying to figure that out.

Listen Newfoundland is a wonderful place. Originally 23 rigs and over 40 people signed up for the Caravan, 5 came. To those that didn't come you really missed out, we are having a wonderful time. Now I do know a group of 23 would be too many.

We are traveling at a Norm pace. So far we have only stayed at 3 places and covered about 200 miles. We all have met many wonderful people outside our little group, had our little adventures, and observed wonderful vistas. Everyone's wondering what to do after the Caravan is over, where to head and what to do. I suggest anywhere, but slowly, embracing the land, the culture and the people.

If you only have a 10 days come to the Norris Point Music Festival, it's breathe and variety will astound you. Every night we go to a two hour, four act show, we chat with the locals before the show, standing in line waiting in our seats, leaving joyously tapping our toes. We return to our little trailers close our eyes to the peace of Newfoundland.

It's all a wonder... I feel so good writing about it here because it may be as close to heaven as I can get on earth....

Feeling love for everything..

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-29-2016, 01:21 PM   #157

Florida
A thought from Dr Suess

You have brains in your head and feet in your shoes you can steer yourself any direction you choose.

This was on the wall at Java Jack's.

Ginny at Java. The group Ciog.

Attached Thumbnails
1464545985786.jpg   1464546025842.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-30-2016, 06:00 AM   #158

Florida
T-Mobile

We've been on the road for 3 weeks and in NL for two weeks. My T-mobile phone has worked great. There are a few places with no signal but very few. Generally I have a strong signal and am able to tether the rest of electronics, 2 computers, a AMazon Fire and Ginny's phone to the phone.

It seems to be a phone plan that works in both Canada and the USA.

Ginny's Verizon phone with the plan extension for Canada has not worked well. Verizon now telling us it will not work in NL. Another member of the caravan has the Verizon extension and it's worked and not worked.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-30-2016, 12:45 PM   #159

Florida
Green Point, NL
A couple of the group are parking at the Greenpoint Campground literally looking down on the Ocean. Ginny and I hiked out to the cliffs of Greenpoint where the end of the Cambrian Era is marked in the cliff walls as defined by their fossil content.

You begin your hike by walking by a group of fish sheds used by the local fisherman following the beach to the world famous cliffs.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-30-2016, 12:46 PM   #160

Florida
Picturrs

Attached Thumbnails
1464630361222.jpg   1464630379780.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-30-2016, 01:13 PM   #161

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Norm,
Does the tide go up to those rocks to cause the erosion? Looks very gloomy in the pictures.
Old 05-30-2016, 02:43 PM   #162

Florida
Today is an overcast day. It rained just after we finished the hike.

Gros Morne has world class geology and views. It is designated a World Heritage Center by the UN, as are two more locations nearby, L'Anse Meadows and Red Bay, those are for next week.

The weather has been typical NL in May 40-60 F, 30-40 F at night. Long hours of sunlight like Alaska.

We were 5 layer dressed for today's hike, right along the water with an onshore wind.

If it had been nicer I would have spent the day at Greenpoint.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-30-2016, 02:52 PM   #163

Florida
Jim, the waves particularly during the winter storms do reach the cliffs though the little fish sheds seem to survive and they areat a sitar elevation. There is debris on the sheds doorstep. I wish I were here for at least one winter.

Two of our group just moved out to the Greenpoint Campground. A Scamp 13 and the Bigfoot 25. Picture to follow. Another member of FRV suggested Greenpoint Campground. I'd be there but I stay at the places we planned to maintain the loose caravan concept. One member is still having tow vehicle problems.

As to temperature I generally feel comfortable from 45 to 80, as long as there's Sun.

Attached Thumbnails
1464637911382.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-30-2016, 04:01 PM   #164

Florida
Western Pond

All the Caravan couples except Ginny and I went out for the boat ride up Western Pond and all loved it. Water Falls cascading a 2000 feet off the cliff walls of the former Fiord.

You have to walk out about a mile to take the boat ride, there's a longer loop walk if you choose. One couple took the longer trail only to meet up with a Moose facing them in the trail. They waited and the moose did not move. They turned and walked back taking the shorter trail. The big guy won.

We've all seen Moose.

I sent a message to a late arrival to the Caravan providing two pieces of advice. 1. Newfoundlanders will pass in no passing zones and 2. Moose will cross the road in front of you, may stop, but will do it at their pace. SHortly after getting off the boat he was passed in a no passing zones and not much later two moose crossed in front of him.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-30-2016, 04:03 PM   #165

Florida
Big Truck Advantage

In a place like NL one advantage of a big truck is everyone has one here so repair is not likely to be a problem.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-30-2016, 11:19 PM   #166

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
All the acts of kindness got me wondering about the NL demographics, so I looked them up. Of the 508,000 people there, over 490,000 say they're Christians. It sounds like they have taken the Golden Rule to heart in NL and are living their faith!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:23 AM   #167

Florida
We have yet to attend a church service in NL. I"ll try to get it done on this trip. It's certain that in the recent past they did attend church for even small communities have big churches. I must say I have not noticed a lot of church goers. In the past large families were the norm, it's no longer the case.

For what ever the reason they are community focused. I have another story to tell relating to the Caravan for later in the day.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-31-2016, 08:09 AM   #168

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
All the acts of kindness got me wondering about the NL demographics, so I looked them up. Of the 508,000 people there, over 490,000 say they're Christians. It sounds like they have taken the Golden Rule to heart in NL and are living their faith!
Hi: Mike Magee... Although I have not experienced NFLD "Acts of kindness" people that are essentially, cut off from others, seem more friendly to complete strangers. People in rural western Canada where neighbours can be several miles away are very friendly. Any excuse for a party!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie