NL Caravan 2016 - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2015, 05:45 AM   #41

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Good Morning.

Just to let you know that the list has reached 18 for the 2016 NL 'Loose' Caravan.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 10:31 AM   #42

Florida
We had the pleasure of meeting two of the people who signed up for the NL Caravan today who happened to be in the area. Two very friendly members of this site who should do excellent caravan members.

One of the best aspects of RV travel has been meeting a lot of nice people.

Something we had not thought about before we began traveling, but everyone you meet in a campground has something in common with you. They own an RV. This is not a trivial statement because it often says something about their relationship ability, assuming they are a couple, that they have the ability to get along with another person.

This si not to disparage being single or alone. The most interesting person I met last summer was a guy who travels alone.

The common quality of RVers says something about their choices. Does this give everyone a pass, of course not, but most RV people we've met have turned out to be nice.

We look forward to meeting everyone going on the trip and are sincere when we invite you to our homes, for a stop, for an overnight or whatever is your pleasure. For me I like meeting people and a secondary benefit is Ginny bakes something for guests, a treat because she does not bake for us, saving me from myself.

Of course the invitation extends to non-Caravan people as well. If you're in our area please feel free to stop by, just call ahead. I'm always happy to send people our address and phone.

Tomorrow we have a non- Caravan couple stopping by......

So many nice people...

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-10-2015, 11:12 AM   #43

Florida
Demographics

I don't know the typical demographics of the Forum but I assume the Caravan is representative. Today's visitors asked me if another Bigfoot was going.

Presently there are:

18 Rigs: 2 Bigfoots (17, 25), 9 Scamps (4-13s, 3-16s, 219s) .
3 Bolers (all 13s), 1 Trillium (13), 3 Casitas (17s)

31 People: 13 couples and 5 singles.

Coming from: 2 Ontario, 4 Vermont, 1 Arizona, 1 New Hampshire, 1 Newfoundland, 3 Missouri, 1 Quebec, 2 Virginia, 1 TX, 1 NC

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-10-2015, 12:45 PM   #44

Florida
CPAHarley started a thread "How would you like to see one of these" , a picture of a big Moose. You will surely see moose in NL> They are huge, Here's my response.

We see them all the time while up north, the reason I have split vision, the reason I'm anti-cross-eyed, to keep an eye on each side of the road. It's not just your headlights, they can be a daytime issue. Last year we had one run in front of us.

As a result we rarely drive at night in Newfoundland. Newfoundland in recent years has become proactive in recent years in high density traffic and high density moose areas. Leaving the ferry at Port aux Basque they have a moose fence for probably 50 miles to keep them off the highway. Between Gander and Grand Falls they have a section with moose radar that produces an alarm when moose are head towards the road.

If someone flashes you lights it's not a radar trap but a moose alert.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-13-2015, 03:54 PM   #45

Florida
Lobster Lovers at Sunset Point.

This is a campground we stop at on our way to NL. I asked him if he would be open by mid-May. I'll post some campground pictures in the morning. You can order lobsters when you check in. Here's 3.5 lbs of lobster delivered to our rig.

Tonight we're heading out for music and to watch a 'blueberry play'.

I posted this under Machias Blueberry Festival but I wanted to make it part of the NL. record.

The Campground is in Harrison ME on Mashfield ROad off route 1. In May it is a Pass port Park. WE\e stop in each direction.

Nice way to start a trip....
Attached Thumbnails
201Ginny Lobster.jpg   norms Lobster.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-13-2015, 06:03 PM   #46

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Looks really good Norm. Mmmmmm lobster!
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:59 PM   #47

Name: Craig
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 13
New Hampshire
Smile

Enjoy the Blueberry Festival!

Those Lobsters look amazing.

------------------
Craig and Judy

2014 Scamp 13

2015 Honda Odyssey
CraigNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:19 PM   #48

Florida
Craig, Judy, David,

The lobsters were great, bigger than what we needed. The owner asked if we wanted a medium and I mindlessly said sure. They were great butter delivery systems.

Today we went to the church fish fry, the church is putting on the blueberry festival.

The desert was a huge piece of moist blueberry ginger bread topped with blueberry ice cream. In the morning we went on a tour of a wild blueberry farm.. Fun and an absolutely great learning experience. We came home for the tour and each had a lunch bowl of cereal topped with berries. The berries exceeded the cereal.

The Machias Blueberry Festival is worth a visit.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-14-2015, 04:29 PM   #49

Florida
NL Caravan 2016.

We have number 19. They are active members of the site. He has a small stickie and asked if he could come. Believing in non-religious (for Bob) inclusionary behavior I accepted his request to join us.

I decided to cut it off at 20 for no real reason other than the size of the campgrounds and the number of laundries in NL (both thoughts from Ginny).

I do realize there will be attrition and that is to be expected. Now it's time to focus on the derails of the trip.

We've had a lot of fiberglass visitors in NH this summer which has been very nice. It does look like our NH house will be sold shortly. Of course every one is welcome in FL for a day, a night or a week. (Non Escapees are allowed to camp for a week as a guest; Escapees for as long as they want.)

Our RV friends are always welcome. Also we will be dropping in at the Scamp Camp as well, where we met some of you over the years.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-16-2015, 03:32 PM   #50

Florida
We have number 20 for the Newfoundland Caravan, our first Escape.

20 is the cutoff point for the caravan. I suspect there will be attrition but honestly don't think we could handle more even with the loose nature of the trip.

Ginny says There' s bound to be some disappointment since I'm so excited. I guess I excite. The loose nature of the caravan should let everyone be comfortable. I've rarely met a fiberglass owner I didn't like.

We've been lost in Maine for a few days. Today we went to an very interesting and tasty place in Eastport, Rayes mustard factory. They've been in business for 115 years making mustard, so many kinds your taste buds will dance thru them, no part of your tongue will feel ignored.

They grind the mustard seeds with water and vinegar between four sets of huge stones. The entire setup is driven by a single motor and numerous belts. All other USA manufactures cook there mustard seed for a speeder process and use steel wheels. The are perpetual award winners. They even move the mustard about using wooden pumps. The Rayes are 4th generation owners. Of course we also love Eastport. During the summer there's a good waterside bakery.

Fun is everywhere this morning, today mustard on the end of a pretzel stick.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 09-29-2015, 12:33 PM   #51

Florida
I've begun researhing next springs caravan. First I took a look at the projected weather for next spring. This from the Famer's Almanac, nice if true:

"April and May will be a bit warmer than normal, with below-normal precipitation.

Summer will be slightly warmer than normal, on average, with the hottest periods in late July and early August. Rainfall will be below normal despite several threats from the remnants of tropical storms in July, August, and early to mid-September."

When we arrive in late May it's typically in the 40s and in June the 50's. I am cold adverse however I've never been cold in NL. plus it takes care of the flying creatures.. no wing de-icer unless you count screech.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-15-2015, 01:54 PM   #52

Florida
The Newfoundland Caravan Guide - 2016 is nearly complete in version 1 and will be going out to caravan members shortly. If there are other members of the forum interested let me know via PM.

Spring can't come soon enough.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-19-2015, 02:48 PM   #53

Florida
Wait List Double Check

Everyone that signed up for the Newfoundland Caravan received an update this week. Four people have cancelled. We expected this based uon information from friends who are professionals in the caravan business.

We have had a few people that asked to be on the wait list. If you are still interested please let me know.

Norm

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-19-2015, 06:41 PM   #54

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Everyone that signed up for the Newfoundland Caravan received an update this week. Four people have cancelled. We expected this based uon information from friends who are professionals in the caravan business.

We have had a few people that asked to be on the wait list. If you are still interested please let me know.

Norm
That is about 20% - right? An interesting statistic. I predict that before it is done, 35% will cancel and the waiting list will fill 15%. That is going to make it 80% of the maximum subscribed. How is that for a prognostication? (From somebody who does not know anything about organizing such a thing.)
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:03 PM   #55

Florida
SPeaking of not knowing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
That is about 20% - right? An interesting statistic. I predict that before it is done, 35% will cancel and the waiting list will fill 15%. That is going to make it 80% of the maximum subscribed. How is that for a prognostication? (From somebody who does not know anything about organizing such a thing.)
Paul,
Dave and I are both in a new place, leading a caravan. Neither of us have ever been on a caravan, never mine led a caravan but fortunately we know Newfoundland. It's a place where I'm happy.

It will be interesting to see what the final number is going to be. Maybe we need a pool on the number. Reads like you're guessing 16. My professional caravan friends suggest fewer.

Whatever it is I'm sure we'll have fun.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-21-2015, 11:08 AM   #56

Florida
Paul,
I have contacted all of the people signed up and those on the waiting list. We are now at 14-15 rigs.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-21-2015, 11:32 AM   #57

Name: charles
Trailer: 1972 American boler
Michigan
Hi norm I have looks at my calendar and there are some family thing the end of May first week in June we can not miss. It is best we do not go.on the caravan.We will,be at scamp camp. Hope to meet you there
rosey45385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 11:57 AM   #58

Florida
Just for people who might be doing this in the future. We asked everyone on the NL Caravan List if they were willing to share their information with others on the list and all said yes

We limited membership to 20 trailers. We also had a waiting list of 3. As we move closer to the date we have had 6 rigs drop off and two from the waiting list join up for a total of 16 rigs.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-27-2015, 03:57 PM   #59

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Just for people who might be doing this in the future. We asked everyone on the NL Caravan List if they were willing to share their information with others on the list and all said yes

We limited membership to 20 trailers. We also had a waiting list of 3. As we move closer to the date we have had 6 rigs drop off and two from the waiting list join up for a total of 16 rigs.
Hi: honda03842... We're heading west in mid May so won't be able to join in. Sure hope you're going to do it again in 2017? Our friends from Florida want to do the East Coast but he doesn't like a boat ride of longer than 10 minutes!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 05:49 PM   #60

Florida
The Boat ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: honda03842... We're heading west in mid May so won't be able to join in. Sure hope you're going to do it again in 2017? Our friends from Florida want to do the East Coast but he doesn't like a boat ride of longer than 10 minutes!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Your friend and Ginny would be two 'land fast' people. I think we've taken these large ferry boats using the short ferry to Newfoundland at least 12 times (6 hours) and Ginny has never felt uncomfortable. Lately we've been taking the night ferry and sleeping most of the way. The long ferry takes 14 hours and travels in potentially larger seas, we've never taken it.

Ginny takes no drugs on the trip. The ship is amazingly stable. As well probably a dozen of our friends have gone based upon our writings and stories and everyone has loved it without a single problem at sea.

2017??? We had not thought that far ahead but I expect we'll be there. I'm writing this Newfoundland Guide. I'll attach the final version to a thread and update it after the trip. Whether we do it again or not the guide would help anyone.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16