NL June 2017? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2016, 12:21 PM   #1

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
NL June 2017?

I'm planning a trip to the Canadian Maritimes for June of 2017-planning roughly on arrival Yarmouth Nova Scotia around 6/5, visiting some historical sights and riding the Fundy Tidal Bore, heading up the Fundy coast to do Cape Breton Island, travelling from Sydney to Channel Port Aux Basques NL just about midmonth, and then going up the East part of NL so as to take a Puffin and Iceberg tour before hitting L"anse aux Meadows, heading back by the west part to catch the same ferry back and at least visit Hopewell Rocks and perhaps the Reversing Falls in St Johns. Also hope for an overnight at Campobello so as to take the passenger ferry past the Old Sow, which has fascinated me for years.

I am well known for biting off more than I could possibly chew, as in a month camping with my grandchildren we had 8 days in NW GA, 4 days in Cave Country (near Mammoth Cave KY) 3 days at KY Horse Park, 3 days at Pittsburgh PA, 3 days at Erie PA, 6 days at Niagara Falls, and 2 days in West Va. The original plans for THAT trip also included Washington DC and NYC, so you can see whereof I speak. BUT this trip will at least have 2 drivers so hopefully I won't be quite as exhausted at camp set-up (this was done with the Tent Mahal, an Eddie Bauer 9 ft by 11 ft tent that called for 2 adults to set up and weighed close to 50 lbs.)

I just may have to put off New Brunswick till a later trip, but the biggies for me are the Bay of Fundy, the Tidal Bore ride, Cape Breton Island , the puffin nests, and Lanse aux Meadows. And of course the Old Sow between Maine and Campobello, and on the drive North I am taking 1 day to see Olana, the painter Frederick Church's farm/studio/museum. (I've wanted to tour it for years and it always gets bumped for "we don't have enough time")

Another possible option might be to fly DH back home at the end of the 30 days and travel back South more leisurely.

SO- is anyone ELSE maybe going to be travelling around NS/CBI the early part of June and NL the latter half? We might be able to coordinate schedules enough to have our own meet n greet Everyone would be responsible for their own reservations and activities, but it would be kinda nice to have friends to share these activities with, no?

So, anybody up for June 2017?
Old 12-04-2016, 07:18 PM   #2

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Hi Mitzi---you are correct---that is a VERY ambitious agenda!

The CAT from Bar Harbour, ME to Yarmouth and then heading up the Fundy Coastline....are you interested in whale watching? You will be passing near to one of the premier areas for it----Brier Island, Nova Scotia.

Your planned sojourn to Newfoundland might be best discussed with Norm and Ginny, here on this forum, as they truly are our resident Newfoundland experts. They are a wealth of information and can give you the best advice. I wouldn't go without contacting them.

And as to New Brunswick, Hopewell Rocks is a wonderful tidal exploration site. If you were flexible on seeing icebergs and puffins (if you decide to skip Newfoundland altogether and make it a separate trip--it deserves it!), you can still view puffins on Machias Seal Island, which is accessible from Grand Manan Island, in the Bay of Fundy. I don't know if you are strictly interested in puffins alone or are an avid birder in general, but the terns and auks there, in addition to the puffins, are spectacular.

Old Sow, which lies between Moose Island, Maine and Deer Island, New Brunswick, is best viewed in relation to the tide plus the moon. If you can plan your trip to coincide with the full moon, you'll see it at it's best. There is a campground on Deer Island that overlooks the actual whirlpool.

And one note---St. Johns is in Newfoundland. Saint John is in New Brunswick. It's very easy to mix them up......but there is a huge difference in location!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:49 PM   #3

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Woops! Saint John/St Johns- thanks for the reminder!
I do hope to meet up with Norm and Ginny in the next couple weeks.

Yes, I love birding, and love all our polar species- auks, murres, dovekies, puffins.
Altho I enjoyed the whale tour we took out of Boston DH was left very unhappy with the experience- too cold, too wet, our rainfly wasn't done properly (my fault)
and our stuff was soaked and portable fridge/freezer shorted out. It was our last tent camp, and his last whale tour. Maybe in the future I'll go again, but right now I want to see puffins!.
I have to actually start contacting and reserving and maybe will be juggling schedules -again- I don't know what the future will hold- 24 years as a hospice nurse has taught me not to defer gratification!
Old 12-04-2016, 09:55 PM   #4

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Mitzi,

We visited Grand Manan this past September. We camped in a friends yard but there are a couple of very nice campgrounds on the island. We had a nice whale watching tour. The Humpbacks were numerous and we saw Puffins to. Although we want to visit northern reaches of the Bay of Fundy, the area around Grand Manan is wonderful. Don't miss it..

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:53 AM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Gratification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post

I do hope to meet up with Norm and Ginny in the next couple weeks.

I don't know what the future will hold- 24 years as a hospice nurse has taught me not to defer gratification!
Mitzi,

Your last statement is so true. So many wait too long.

Pick a date to visit and give me a call.

Norm

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:01 AM   #6

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Mitzi
When you come down the West side of NL, I strongly recommend taking the ferry over to Labrador. I really enoyed spending a couple of days over there, and you never know if another chance will come.
Sounds like a great trip. I look forward to some reports.

Walt
Old 12-05-2016, 11:11 AM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
We made a trip to Deer Island years ago. The whirlpool and the world's largest lobster pound didn't impress but the fried clams at the 45 th Parallel restaurant made the ferry trip worth while.

On our trip we spent time in Fundy National Park. I'd highly recommend.

Ferry's no longer go from Bar Harbor. Portland to Yarmouth is the current route.

Maine to Nova Scotia Ferry Service | The CAT - Bay Ferries
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:47 PM   #8

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
NL and the Puffins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitzi Agnew-Giles View Post
I'm planning a trip to the Canadian Maritimes for June of 2017-planning roughly on arrival Yarmouth Nova Scotia around 6/5, visiting some historical sights and riding the Fundy Tidal Bore, heading up the Fundy coast to do Cape Breton Island, travelling from Sydney to Channel Port Aux Basques NL just about midmonth, and then going up the East part of NL so as to take a Puffin and Iceberg tour before hitting L"anse aux Meadows, heading back by the west part to catch the same ferry back and at least visit Hopewell Rocks and perhaps the Reversing Falls in St Johns. Also hope for an overnight at Campobello so as to take the passenger ferry past the Old Sow, which has fascinated me for years.

I am well known for biting off more than I could possibly chew, as in a month camping with my grandchildren we had 8 days in NW GA, 4 days in Cave Country (near Mammoth Cave KY) 3 days at KY Horse Park, 3 days at Pittsburgh PA, 3 days at Erie PA, 6 days at Niagara Falls, and 2 days in West Va. The original plans for THAT trip also included Washington DC and NYC, so you can see whereof I speak. BUT this trip will at least have 2 drivers so hopefully I won't be quite as exhausted at camp set-up (this was done with the Tent Mahal, an Eddie Bauer 9 ft by 11 ft tent that called for 2 adults to set up and weighed close to 50 lbs.)

I just may have to put off New Brunswick till a later trip, but the biggies for me are the Bay of Fundy, the Tidal Bore ride, Cape Breton Island , the puffin nests, and Lanse aux Meadows. And of course the Old Sow between Maine and Campobello, and on the drive North I am taking 1 day to see Olana, the painter Frederick Church's farm/studio/museum. (I've wanted to tour it for years and it always gets bumped for "we don't have enough time")

Another possible option might be to fly DH back home at the end of the 30 days and travel back South more leisurely.

SO- is anyone ELSE maybe going to be travelling around NS/CBI the early part of June and NL the latter half? We might be able to coordinate schedules enough to have our own meet n greet Everyone would be responsible for their own reservations and activities, but it would be kinda nice to have friends to share these activities with, no?

So, anybody up for June 2017?
:When we were checking out the Puffins we tried a cruise and no Puffins plus not much in the way of Whales either. So we drove what I think the town was called Ellsmere or something like that where you drive to this town then out to where you hike out but be careful as it is a Precarious hike in places, You can get about 140' from the Puffins. My wifes camera made the puffins look like they were standing at her feet but this is impossible as there is a drop off to the Ocean and at least 150' between u and them. They like for you to drop a Donation into the box for them keeping the somewhat trail in condition.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:36 PM   #9

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Mitzi
When you come down the West side of NL, I strongly recommend taking the ferry over to Labrador. I really enoyed spending a couple of days over there, and you never know if another chance will come.

Walt
Everyone who went on the NL caravan took the side trip to Labrador, one couple drove even further into Labrador. However your schedule looks tight.

To me, traveling to NL is not about rushing from one sight to another, but rather getting to know the place and the people, traveling down side roads to see nothing and find something. The people on last year's caravan joked about traveling at 'Norm's pace'.

I never had heard that phrase before but I suspect it's true. We've now spent some 16 months wandering in NL and will be back this year.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 12-05-2016, 03:39 PM   #10

Florida
Whale Sighting.

A number of people who took the daytime ferry crossing from to NS to NL saw whales from the ferry during their crossing.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 12-05-2016, 03:56 PM   #11

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
One of my greatest NL experiences was driving East on one of the few side roads between Gros Morn Bay and the ferry back to North Sidney. After several miles along the dirt road I stopped at a small waterfalls and for a few hours watched salmon trying, and often failing, to jump the falls on their way to breeding grounds. The plunge pool and the falls were thick with them.

Walt
Old 12-05-2016, 08:58 PM   #12

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Mitzi

Walt
If you feel somewhat adventurous, you could also take the Trans Labrador Highway on the way back and see some beautiful, wild country. More and more of the highway is paved every year. They are building a huge hydro power line from Churchill Falls to Newfoundland, so it is not completely empty. Churchill Falls, Labrador City, Northern Quebec, the north shore of St. Lawrence River and Quebec City are all worth the trip. It is not much of a detour and you save the cost of the long ferry, but there are fewer gas stations, so an extra five gallon gas can is highly recommended. The last dozen or so "kliks" before reaching Happy Valley I was running on empty, but lucked out. Next time I plan to be better prepared.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:08 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If you plan to tour Newfoundland and Labrador, you'll need a book to read.
I highly recommend this one:

https://www.amazon.ca/Great-Heart-La.../dp/1568361688
Old 12-06-2016, 12:08 AM   #14

British Columbia
LIving in BC when we go across on the Ferries here

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
A number of people who took the daytime ferry crossing from to NS to NL saw whales from the ferry during their crossing.
: the Ferry Captain will tell you when there are whales or porpoises out and about and sometimes even pull over so you can take pictures. I remember one Pod of around 60 Killer whales in Active Pass way back where he just stopped and held the whole Ferry in place and what a site that was for over 1/2 hour.
Like I said we found the best place for Puffin Pictures was in Ellsemere NL cost us a donation as the traile minders do a lot of work keeping the trail open for people and we appreciated it.
The road when we were they going into Ellsmere blew our muffler system which we got fixed same in town just up the road for cheap did not have to listen to it for 150 miles back to MH. But did we ever get a lot of Puffin Pictures.
There are Puffins right here in BC up in the Tofino area of Vancouver Island.
Stude
Old 12-06-2016, 06:38 AM   #15

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Stude, you know we all like pictures. I can't say I even know what the bird looks like.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:27 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by stude View Post
:
Like I said we found the best place for Puffin Pictures was in Ellsemere NL
I tried looking this up and the only Ellsemere I can find is on Baffin Island. Could it be Elliston that you saw them? We'd like to put this on our list for our NL visit next summer.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:50 AM   #17

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDavidG View Post
I tried looking this up and the only Ellsemere I can find is on Baffin Island. Could it be Elliston that you saw them? We'd like to put this on our list for our NL visit next summer.
Elliston, NL is a Puffin Place.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 12-06-2016, 11:53 AM   #18

Florida
For the Bird watchers here's another

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Labrador.html

Read the reviews on this page.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 12-06-2016, 01:41 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Elliston, NL is a Puffin Place.
Thanks Norm. Do you have any experience with the community campground in Elliston (Baker Memorial Campground)? Or have recommendations for other campgrounds in the general area.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 01:49 PM   #20

British Columbia
Do u know what a hell it is to load pictures here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Stude, you know we all like pictures. I can't say I even know what the bird looks like.
Dave & Paula
:go to google and type in Puffin Pictures and you will get to know all about them, size, where they live out on the Grand Banks all by them selves, they only come to shore when they breed for their young, they do not get much bigger than 12" more or less and probably less, Almost look like little Penguins with orange beaks, Black body with white chest, they come to land and Burrow to make shallow tunnel for breeding about 6 weeks they are gone home and chicks are on there own, mom and dad say to them fly towards the moon that will take you home, big problem they cannot tell the difference between Headlights and the Moon so they sometimes get wiped out on their Journey home.
If you go with the guy on the boat trip which is bloody expensive he will sort of tell u the same the only good thing about the boat trip they have a Golden Retriever there that plays basketball real well, and when the boat is coming in he is waiting to greet you all.
Stude