No Dog Camping? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 02:18 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Bigfoot
Anyone know of any no-dogs-allowed campgrounds? Is there such a thing?

We have had more than one trip destroyed by someone with a loose-running Rottweiler or pitbull or some old couple with 4 yappy little mutts.

Ideas?
Old 04-20-2006, 02:30 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I would not know of one. I would not think of going without my little fur babes. Sorry.
oops, I just thought of one possibility. You could try Scottyland in Somerset, Pa. They have a dog patch area for us dog lovers, and a seperate part of the campground for those of you that do not like fur babies.
I can understand your not wanting to be in a dog area if not wanting dogs around. That would be like us old people without grandkids not wanting to listen to other peoples screaming kids.
I hope you can find some campgrounds to give you the peace and quiet you want away from home.
Personally I like campgrounds without a lot of people. I want my space, and that is hard to find. I have more space in my little yard at home. I love to socialize, but don't want to camp in the next persons lap.

Old 04-20-2006, 04:31 PM   #3

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Quote:
Anyone know of any no-dogs-allowed campgrounds? Is there such a thing?

We have had more than one trip destroyed by someone with a loose-running Rottweiler or pitbull or some old couple with 4 yappy little mutts.

Ideas?

I would be reporting that to the camp host or rangers if your at a state campground.. The majority of the parks do allow dogs, but thats [b]uncalled for when people do that... I have two dogs, but they are well contained and in no way would i ever allow them to run around. rules are rules even in a campground! I sure as heck wouldnt hesitate to report someone.....
Old 04-20-2006, 06:48 PM   #4

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Al V
pa only has 3 parks that allow pets
nh has no pet parks
Old 04-20-2006, 07:17 PM   #5

"I can understand your not wanting to be in a dog area if not wanting dogs around. That would be like us old people without grandkids not wanting to listen to other peoples screaming kids. "

Well, except that children mostly don't eat their own feces and spread parasites...

Just teasing, thanks for the info. We're in Canada and dogs are allowed *everywhere* here - beaches, wildlife preserves, you name it - drives us crazy.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:35 PM   #6

Quote:
We're in Canada and dogs are allowed *everywhere* here - beaches, wildlife preserves, you name it - drives us crazy.
Parasites can easily be spread by dogs on beaches. That is why dogs are not usually allowed on public beaches. I do think maybe it would be nice to have a special area where kids are not allowed to swim, to let the dogs go for a swim if they want though. I never understood the "no dogs allowed on the beach" until my vet showed me a picture of little kids blinded for life from worms caught from dogs or cats. He really gets on a rampage about the subject when clients have little kids. Dogs are great if contained and under control.

Old 04-20-2006, 11:45 PM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
My favorite California campground is only 3 miles from my house. I no longer can go there with my pups because appearantly there was an incident with a large dog at one point, and the campgrounds insurance company made them put in a "No dog over 25lbs" rule. (It wasn't my dogs! Not even there when this happened!)

I have Beagles. Not big dogs, but they get lumped into the Too Big group, even if they hover around the limit. Pretty sad.

When one person is irresponsible, seems we all get punished, be it dogs, or kids.

I don't think I have ever seen a "no kid" campground. I am not fond of children, but I would never think of banning them from a campground. I can not imagine NOT taking a kid camping.. it's part of growing up and learning. Not to mention real fun for them too.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:39 AM   #8

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie
Sandra -

Oxbow Park outside of Portland, Oregon, does not allow dogs. Closer to you, I found Wildwood Resort in Bellingham.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:27 PM   #9

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
I'm a confirmed dog-hater. (I'm a mailman, you know.) After being bitten three times ("Don't worry! My dog won't bite!"), I can't stand the filthy beasts.

Most state and national parks and even national forest campgrounds will allow dogs, but only on leashes with the stinking critters tightly managed.

If you have problems with being bitten, do what I do and pepper spray the vicious monster. If the dog has never been hit with pepper spray, the effect is quite satisfying to watch. Keep in mind that if a dog has been pepper-sprayed a lot, it's not much worse than being hit by water--they build up a tolerance.

If you see a dog owner allowing their dogs to run free, report them to the nearest campground host or ranger. If you can find a ranger, the owner and his animal can usually be forced to leave the campground. Most rangers I've met won't tolerate a free-running dog in a state or national park.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:00 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I think dogs are like kids...either love em or hate em. I like dogs...the quiet, well behaved kind. When a dog barks, it's only doing what comes natural. At this point it's the owner I have a problem with. The thing I've noticed is that quite often those owners have learned to tune out the sound I'm not above telling the owner in a very loud voice "would you shut that dog up." Others would chose to tell the park ranger/park owner...that works too. It's a comfort level thing. However you chose to deal with it.
Old 04-22-2006, 05:21 PM   #11

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp
Bob Smith
I'm sure the dogs speak highly of you.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:51 PM   #12

I LOVE dogs, but I hate BARKING dogs. Dogs are created to talk just as you and I are, and some just never shut up (like some people we all know). If an owner can't keep his dog quiet, I say.......................debark it. A debarked dog in the campground will not disturb the whole campground. The problem with this solution is that most people do not debark their dogs, yet let them "woof-woof" at full volume. Full volume is not something I want to hear.
I suppose I will now here from some saying how cruel it is to debark, but a sore throat on a dog for a few days is in my opinion better than the fustration I and my dog both feel if yelling at him to keep quiet.
Yep the furry ones here are debarked. They are happy with their little voices, and I am mighty happy they are not heard at full volume. When camping, I pack x pens for confining, and this year Nicky will have his own little harness and leash if he acts up.
No one wants other dogs in the campground to be barking, or running loose at their site in a campground.
Ok, I'll head back to my dog house now :-)

Old 04-22-2006, 06:59 PM   #13

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Quote:
I LOVE dogs, but I hate BARKING dogs. :-)
I actually don't mind a barking dog. (Well...unless it goes on for hours.)

What I don't like are aggressive, biting dogs. And I have faced far too many of those to mention. Both on the job and off the job. To the point that I changed from a dog-lover to a dog-hater. I really don't care for the animals. Like everyone else, I enjoy the company of a sweet, affectionate dog. But I will absolutely not tolerate a dog that makes any kind of aggressive move toward me. Get bitten as many times as I have and you, too, will cease to tolerate aggressive dogs. I carry pepper spray at all campgrounds and wherever I go hiking. I use it [b]A LOT.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:18 PM   #14

Wonder if that Pepper spray would help in the vet clinic with the agressive ones. Ya know the ones that try to bite us when we need to sedate for surgery, or just plain agressive ones staying in the clinic? Suppose not the thing to do to someone elses dog in the clinic though. More than once I have heard of Vet techs caged in the kennel by a pittbull. One gal was caged for over an hour until help could get the 6 month old pittbull under control.
Sorry, guess I got off the subject.
Bob, I can understand you not trusting dogs. You are at risk big time, and I can understand your feelings/fear. Pepper spray is a must in your profession.
Yep, these agressive ones end up camping also. Our vet clinic has been called by the police more than once to verify a Rabies vaccination is up to date. ( People were bit by a dog at a campground or cabin).

Old 04-23-2006, 10:29 AM   #15

Trailer: 73 Surfside 14 / '05 Magnum RT AWD
Have any of you seen the show, Dog Whisper? He shows how all dogs need their human to be pack leader so the dog doesn't feel the need to. I've learned so much about myself and my dogs watching this show.

Yes I'm a tried and true dog lover. I actually put a large dog to sleep a few years ago because he snapped at my husband and brought blood after many tries to get the dog to stop snapping. I regret that I had to do it, but I didn't want this dog around my grandchildren. If I had seen the Dog Whisper, I could have changed that dog using a totally different approach.

I have a great dog now. My daughter was babysitting a 2 years old girl who WAS afraid of dogs until she met mine.

If I didn't have my dogs with me right now, I don't know how I would have survived the death of my husband. After all the do-gooders are gone, the dogs are still here sharing the grief and making life possible.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:13 PM   #16

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie
Getting back on track - and trying to answer the question asked...

I found a reference that some British Columbia campgrounds do NOT allow dogs...No Dogs
Old 04-23-2006, 08:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Getting back on track - and trying to answer the question asked...

I found a reference that some British Columbia campgrounds do NOT allow dogs...No Dogs

Jackie, I have yet to find a BC park that actually prohibits dogs - there may be one or two remote ones with particular wildlife/plant life concerns but I've never found one, and each park that I've been to has permission signs in place which allow dogs (on-leash, but this means nothing to most owners) on the beaches because the dog owners lobby vociferously for these by-laws.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:21 PM   #18

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Everyone has made their position clear and are now beating a dead horse. I am closing this thread as it is going off topic more then on.
Closed Thread