Northeast here I come - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-30-2006, 11:54 AM   #15

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Lyndon,

This is going to be a 3 month trip. Minnesota will be my first state after zipping through the Plains. I've only got 2 weeks for Minnesota so I'll be long gone before the Leech Lake campout. If I were to reverse my trip Minnesota would be my last state and that would be in August. Think about it I've got a long long trip and lots to see so my time is limited. If I hung around for Leech Lake I'd be cutting off PEI and Nova Scotia and I don't want to do that.

There's also going to be a gathering in southern Minnesota but that's not until September so it's out too.

But Hey, if you folks want to meet me....you can come to me when I'm there. I'll post my itinerary when time gets closer but it'll most like be just what I've already said. In at Fargo, to the Scamp factory then loop up NW Inter'l Falls east through Ely over to the Lake and down below Duluth out to Wisconsin. There's really only so much I can do in 2 weeks, which is better than no weeks.

Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 01:30 PM   #16

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
http://www.lakeheadboatbasin.com/history.html

Duluth has a few campgrounds but if your journey is to experience the Great Lakes I recommend that you put up with the close quarters and not so great restroom facilities to watch ocean going and laker vessels from your own yard. It is pretty great to watch a thousand footer go right under the bridge, make a turn and go on into the bay. This spot is on very prime real estate. We are friends with several of the sailboat owners so you can of course get a ride out on the water for you and Lily. If you make a reservation for this place you don't want the area that has the full hookups. You want to be at least midway down the strip across from the docks, but not real close to the end because there is a guy who sets up all summer that you don't want for a neighbor. There is so much to see in the area that 3 days will not even touch the experience. Weekend here is a madhouse, so if I could pick my time it would not be on a weekend.

Detroit Lakes is sort of OK. Don't know what one would want to do for more than one night.

Brainerd is better, but again, more than just a day?

You also probably don't want to spend much time in International Falls, unless you know someone there. We pass through there when we go into Canada to take Hwy 11 through Atikokan to Thunder Bay. One could then go down the North Shore and go inland again to Ely, Hibbing. Don't know what Lily needs for international travel, and I only mention this because you mentioned Intl Falls.

To me it seems that what would be great would be to concentrate on the "Arrowhead" region and blow off the rest of Minnesota!

Nancy

Old 12-01-2006, 01:55 PM   #17

Winter reading list, in case you like mysters about places you go.

William Kent Krueger has a fiction series about a ex cop who is part Native and part Irish. These should be read in order. Iron Lake, Prugatory Ridge, Boundary Waters, Blood Hollow, Mercy Falls. Not part of the series is another political type suspense story "The Devil's Bed".

Another author I like writes about an ex-ball player, ex-cop up in the UP, Michigan. I can't remember his name, but I bet if you do a search using Paradise UP you would find him.

We just finished reading some interesting Science Fiction that also fits into the Science tour of the Soudan mine. The author Robert J. Sawyer writes *fiction* using as drop cloth the Sudbury Neutrino Observatory and Creighton Mine in Canada. Now I want to know if the Sudbury place uses water in their lab, any kind of water. The Soudan has this huge wall art thing. Makes me sad to think some artist painted this enormous thing on the wall and few people see it. Anyway "The Neanderthal parallax" consists of three books; "Hominids" "Humans" and "Hybrids". My, my but it does make one think. Those three books should be read in order.

Nancy
Old 12-02-2006, 12:29 PM   #18

http://www.emily.net/~schiller/nshore.html

Wow, what photography and text. The link I posted previously did not have pictures so I went hunting for pictutes of Bear Head Lake State park and found this person's site. This is the Northshore in a nutshell.

The author I couldn't remember is Steve Hamilton who writes about the area around Sault Ste. Marie, UP, Michigan.

Your dates in Minnesota are now much better. You won't need air conditioning, maybe heat in the evening, but still should be prepared for nasty bugs. Part of the reason I put links to Grand Marais campground and the Duluth Park Point campground is that they will be bug free. No tick or mosquito problems for Lilly. You guys may find you need a break from the deep woods. The reason we are going back to the coast in July is that we didn't see a mosquito the whole time.

Nancy
Old 12-03-2006, 06:14 PM   #19

http://www.momsway.com/west/rainy-river.shtml

Found it. Kay-Nah-Chi-Wah-Nung Historical Centre, Stratton, Ontario. Joy, you mentioned going from Baudette, MN to Fort Frances, Ontario and this place is of great interest to me. We haven't been there yet. They open May 4 and are cosed on Monday and Tuesday, so you should be able to visit if you want. The above link has a link to the Centre. Thought you might enjoy reading about the road you will drive. Eager for May to come so I can go experience this new place. Thanks for guiding me to my own back yard.

Nancy
Old 12-03-2006, 07:53 PM   #20

http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/eastern/supcmp.htm

The above link is to forest campgrounds. The one closest to Grand marais is Devil Track. East Bearskin and Flour lake are not as close but perhaps nicer. Personally I like to "camp" at the community RV park as they have showers and one can walk to the village and food. But if one wants to really camp then the above site will give you options. I think if you decided to go the natual way you would find some people joining you.

The Ely area will be under Kawishiwi and the Grand Marais area will be under Gunflint. It has been many years since I have been to Devil Track, Bearskin or Flour, so can't give you up to date information. As long as you didn't hit it over a weekend I think you could go to Grand Marais area without reservation, but if you are like me and want that shower and dining option then I would go ahead and be sure with a reservation.

Nancy
Old 12-10-2006, 01:12 PM   #21

Local report on three northern Minnesota State Parks obtained over Italian dinner last night.

Scenic State Park is located about 30 to 50 miles north of Grand Rapids, MN east of Hwy 38 near Bigfork. Hwy 38 in itself is a very scenic road. The park is sort of an off of the beaten path State Park and is a hidden treasure. Part of the Canadian Shield the topography is interesting. There are two campgrounds. One is more open near the swimming beach that seems to draw families. The other is more private. Our friends like the one that is not near the swimming beach. http://www.exploreminnesota.com/Very...tate_Park.html

Not recommended was McCarthy Beach State Park. Our sources only stayed there one night. The jet skis and loud music crowd drove them away.

Bear Head Lake draws yet another personality. This park is a favorite for people ready to go into the Boundary Waters Canoe Area or comming out of the Boundary Waters. This is the park that is nearest to Ely and the fun town that is to visit.

We would be happy to get together at Scenic, Bear Head, or Grand Marais while Joy is doing the north thing in early June. Our friends said they don't see any need for reservations at Scenic or Bear Head if it is during the week. Week ends are of course another matter.

Nancy in northern MN