Northeast here I come - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2006, 08:58 AM   #1

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Well, I was planning a trip to the Great Lakes states then realized that Michigan, which was to be my most easterly state, is more than 2/3 across the US from California. Why not continue on, that way I don't have to do the long cross country trip a second time. So, plans have now changed to continue on to Eastern Canada and New England. I've added an additional month and a half to the trip. So, it'll be all summer long.......3+ months.

I'll enter Minnesota at Fargo then head to Backus and the Scamp factory, up through International Falls, then Ely and down the east side before turning SW below Duluth and heading for the Wilmar area.

QUESTION: What's around the Wilmar area of interest and any suggestions of where to camp??

I'll head east through Mankato then cross into Wisconsin near Eau Claire.

SAME QUESTION about Mankato area in fact maybe I'd like to camp east of there but not any further south.

My trip will take me zig zagging through Wisconsin, the UP and Michigan before entering Canada and on through to Quebec, New Brunswick, PEI, Nova Scotia and back through New England and Westward Ho .

I've pretty well planned out the trip with exception of this southern Minnesota area I asked about above. I ordered a book on Minnesota however it's not available as yet, they are in a reprint mode so I don't know when I'll receive it.

Any way, thanks for any information you can give me.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 11:38 AM   #2

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
have fun, Joy,

the web is a great place to plan a trip. everything is there in categories that make it easy to find just what you want to see. and now that mapquest has both aerial and hybrid maps you can see just how difficult the terrain might be where you plan to go.

if you have a few hours, look at the map of the area you plan to visit, then drag your way on a particular route. notice what is nearby, notice how dense or sparse the buildings and man made structures are on that route. this lets you avoid (or plan to visit) areas of high shopping center traffic, narrow roads without a place to turn around, etc.

then, search out the things of interest to just YOU by checking out websites in the particular areas of your interest, quilting, woodworking, art museums, fishing holes, etc.

it is easy for me because i am a potter. every potter has a studio and most welcome visitors even if they don't have a showroom or are "open" only on weekends. if you like any specific thing, search out others who like the same thing by checking the common websites where that activity or interest is featured. maybe you want to visit other members on this site, look at the map.

and, remember, the midwest is nearly flat as a table. that's why the road maps show square grids in that part of the country. where the roads seem to wiggle on the page you should expect hills, valleys or other obstructions to a straight line route. it takes a much shorter time to travel a straight road than one that also goes up and down. and the view where the country is flat might include seeing one house for miles ahead, a flash as you pass it and the backside of that same house for many miles in your rearview mirror.

this is a great country and you should have a marvelous time wherever you go.
potteralice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 12:09 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Trillium and 1989 Bigfoot (named 'Swanky')
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Donna R
Hello Joy

Donna here in Nova Scotia offering words of help, a welcome to NS lunch or a phone call once you get here. Please call or email if there is anything we can help for NS or PEI where we spend some of the summer.
We did the trip the other way 5 years ago and can hardly wait to do it again but a different route. It was FUN....it is the best way to live.
Donna, Lance and Dixie Dawg
Donna R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 01:09 PM   #4

Hi Donna,

I've got 6 nights for NS. The first and second will be at Breton, the third, fourth and fifth in the Halifax area and the sixth will be at Truro. I was going to ferry to Bar Harbor but decided to drive instead. The drive will put me near Campobello which is a place I've alway wanted to go.

I just looked you up, got your email address plus I can always PM you.
I'll tag bases with you when I get close. Right now I'm looking at July 24th to 30th. Got 6 months to fiddle with and fine tune the calendar.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 11-29-2006, 01:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Hi Donna,

I've got 6 nights for NS. The first and second will be at Breton, the third, fourth and fifth in the Halifax area and the sixth will be at Truro. I was going to ferry to Bar Harbor but decided to drive instead. The drive will put me near Campobello which is a place I've alway wanted to go.

I just looked you up, got your email address plus I can always PM you.
I'll tag bases with you when I get close. Right now I'm looking at July 24th to 30th. Got 6 months to fiddle with and fine tune the calendar.
Hi: We are 2hrs. east of Detroit Mich. via Ontario highway 401 and 1 1/2 hrs east of Port Huron Mich. via Ontario highway 402 and 1/2 hr south of London Ontario via highway 4...If you need a stop in our area and we can help in any way send an e mail Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 01:48 PM   #6

Quote:
1/2 hr south of London Ontario via highway 4...If you need a stop in our area and we can help in any way send an e mail Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Hi Alf ,

I'll be crossing at Port Huron then through London catching highway 3 and going out to the Niagara area for 2 nights before heading on to Toronto. I'll tag bases later.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 11-29-2006, 06:51 PM   #7

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
When you get to Cape Breton make it a point to find the Fortress of Louisbourg.

This is in my opinion the most wonderful experience. It is the largest reconstructed 18th century French fortified town in North America. An absolutely first rate trip back in time that makes Williamsburg, Va, look like Disneyland.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:19 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Hi Alf ,

I'll be crossing at Port Huron then through London catching highway 3 and going out to the Niagara area for 2 nights before heading on to Toronto. I'll tag bases later.
Hi: We live just south of #3 highway btw. St. Thomas and Pt. Stanley Our road parallels #3 highway and the lake shore and we use it to go to the Niagara area all the time... Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:41 PM   #9

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Hi Joy,

I hope someone else can chime in and tell you good things about Wilmar and Mankato.

Minnesota is divided into a few different regions. The southern part of the state got the good soil and consists of flat farm land. The north is sort of split up into three regions. Northwest is good sugar beet growing land. The north central is forest/timber. The north east is the cream of the crop consisting of water, rocks, trees and in the Ely area the rich iron ore deposits. Fun for the politicians trying to get goodies for their areas when we are so diverse. Mankato is part of that farmland area, the town itself is in a river valley which consists of gently undulating terrain with hardwoods.

I do hope that you are able to either camp at or see Itasca State Park on your way through. It is a very pretty park and is the beginning of the Mississippi River. There is one stand of trees that gives one some idea of what the land was like before the Europeans came.

We just returned from Nebraska and when we went through Sandstone I wondered why you were going there. Perhaps friends. If you aren't visiting with people there I would recommend you spend your time further north.

I'll post again regarding Ely and Intl Falls. Don't know how much I can send at one time.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 09:12 PM   #10

Minnesota State Parks

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/map.html

To enter our state parks you need a pass. If you will be going to several you will need to think about a season pass versus the day rate. We have a *lot* of very nice state parks that are expensive to keep going.

We need to know what you are interested in. I highly recommend Soudan underground Mine. Hopefully the day will be cool enough that Lily can spend some nap time in the trailer/car because the mine tours are really neat, unless you have claustrophobia (elevator). One tour is the historic one and the other is the High Energy Physics Lab. I really wish that one could just go down once for both tours but one has to start from the top for each tour. Nearby is the town of Hibbing where one can visit the open pit mine. This sounds boring but is actually pretty interesting (and is free!)

The town of Ely also has a very interesting wolf center (everything in Minnesota costs money). We try to get up to Ely a couple of times a year, love to eat at the Chocolate Moose.

The North Shore of Lake Superior is fantastic. You will probably need some reservations if you plan to camp there. The Village of Grand Marais has a very nice public campground that you might be able to get into without reservations. You won't need your air conditioner on the North Shore.

We are very biased on the north east part of our state. Frankly it is where I would spend all my Minnesota time if I wanted to vacation. I told my husband, "but she is from the coast, maybe this isn't so different. He said, "she can drink the water out of Lake Superior". Besides some of the oldest rocks on this continent are on the North Shore. California didn't even exist then!

Wisconsin. Not sure what route you are taking there but west of Madison is "House on the Rock". For sure Lily might have trouble there as the weather will be warmer and it takes a few hours to wander through this oddity. Well worth the money if it is anywhere near your route.

Duluth and North Shore. Let me know your interest. Fred would do some golf with you if you like. And if you hike.....well you could spend a month just hiking the North Shore, and we know most of the hikes. At the time of the year you will be here we stick to the shore as the bugs and heat inland are more than we like.

Nancy
Old 11-29-2006, 10:42 PM   #11

Grand Marais Minnesota v/s Wilmar and Mankato. No choice for me.

http://www.grandmarais.com/lodging/gmrecpark.html

The only place I've found I like almost as much was the Oregon coast.

Nancy
Old 11-29-2006, 10:46 PM   #12

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
Joy, do you plan to see the Mall of America while in Minnesota? It would be fun to meet you on your journey if you have an idea when and where you will be. There are people from all parts of Minnesota on this board. It might be fun if us Minnesotan's could plan to meet up somewhere and camp overnight with you.
If you are up for it, let us know your itinery.
As for Willmar, it is about 2 hours from the cities, and there is a State park near by. I am a home body, and really do not know what there is to do in Willmar (sorry to say). Personally I like the north shore, Itaska State park (beginning of the Mississippi river) and anywheres north in the summer. In the winter, that is NOT where I want to be--burrrrr!
The Scamp factory is in the boonies but I imagine you already know that. Walker is not far from there and a very pretty area. Brainerd is also not far from there and has a LOT of pretty lakes.
How long do you plan to be in Minnesota? I would suggest the northern part of the state as the best part to tour.
As for those flat parts of Minnesota with not a lot of population, S. Dakota has that beat by a long shot. I traveled there once, and thought I would never see another farm. Nothin but wide open space.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 12:05 AM   #13

Hey folks,

This is just what I was looking for, opinions on southern Minnesota. I was only going down through Wilmar and Mankato to simply say I'd been through most of Minnesota. But The Northern area would be more to my liking. So I could rerrange my time and that would give me about 4 or 5 more days in the North. I could then cross into Wisconsin around Sandstone.

Nancy, my interest in Sandstone is that there's a State campground near by and my very oldest friend, or I should the one I've known the longest in the world, is from that area. So I was going there to simply see it and maybe take a few pictures. Also, Yes, I do intend to go to the House on the Rock in Wisconsin. If I recall I was planing on camping at Devil's Lake State Park or somewhere where I could leave Lily in the Air Conditioned trailer.

I plan to enter Minnesota on June 3rd and leave on June 17th, 2 full weeks to tour. I've decided to leave right after Memorial Day foregoing the annual Golf Tournament I usually play in and no I'll not be bringing my golf clubs with me, just playing tourist. I plan to drop my Scamp off at the factory on June 4 or 5th for a half day or so.

Karalyn, I don't know where the Mall of America is in Minnesota?? If I were to be nearby I'd probably go. I have heard of it however it hasn't been anything that had stuck in my mind to see. And, yes I'm up for meeting up with any and all of you. There are some that I've already met 3 years ago at my Gathering in Missouri. I know there's going to be a gathering at Leech Lake around June 22 through 28 but I'll be in Wisconsin by then.

As far as interests go, I'm virtually interested in just about anything and everything. Just won't have the time to see everything.

I thought I'd wander around and places that come to mind to see are International Falls, Hibbing, Ely, Grand Marais, Detroit Lakes area, Brainerd area and so on. I'm not a big city person so the Twins Cities don't interest me. I figure I'd like to camp in about 5 places that would be about 3 nights each. Then do some day tripping without the trailer attached.

Any way, Thanks to all for now.....
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 11-30-2006, 06:09 AM   #14

Trailer: 1996 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel ('TOGETHERNEST' SLEEPS 8
Joy remember Jerry's Leech Lake Meet June 18 -21 Would like to see you there. And as far as Wilmer we have an 80 acre campsite here at Annandale 30 miles east of there that you are welcome to stay FREE.
Lyndon Laney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:54 AM   #15

Lyndon,

This is going to be a 3 month trip. Minnesota will be my first state after zipping through the Plains. I've only got 2 weeks for Minnesota so I'll be long gone before the Leech Lake campout. If I were to reverse my trip Minnesota would be my last state and that would be in August. Think about it I've got a long long trip and lots to see so my time is limited. If I hung around for Leech Lake I'd be cutting off PEI and Nova Scotia and I don't want to do that.

There's also going to be a gathering in southern Minnesota but that's not until September so it's out too.

But Hey, if you folks want to meet me....you can come to me when I'm there. I'll post my itinerary when time gets closer but it'll most like be just what I've already said. In at Fargo, to the Scamp factory then loop up NW Inter'l Falls east through Ely over to the Lake and down below Duluth out to Wisconsin. There's really only so much I can do in 2 weeks, which is better than no weeks.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 12-01-2006, 01:30 PM   #16

http://www.lakeheadboatbasin.com/history.html

Duluth has a few campgrounds but if your journey is to experience the Great Lakes I recommend that you put up with the close quarters and not so great restroom facilities to watch ocean going and laker vessels from your own yard. It is pretty great to watch a thousand footer go right under the bridge, make a turn and go on into the bay. This spot is on very prime real estate. We are friends with several of the sailboat owners so you can of course get a ride out on the water for you and Lily. If you make a reservation for this place you don't want the area that has the full hookups. You want to be at least midway down the strip across from the docks, but not real close to the end because there is a guy who sets up all summer that you don't want for a neighbor. There is so much to see in the area that 3 days will not even touch the experience. Weekend here is a madhouse, so if I could pick my time it would not be on a weekend.

Detroit Lakes is sort of OK. Don't know what one would want to do for more than one night.

Brainerd is better, but again, more than just a day?

You also probably don't want to spend much time in International Falls, unless you know someone there. We pass through there when we go into Canada to take Hwy 11 through Atikokan to Thunder Bay. One could then go down the North Shore and go inland again to Ely, Hibbing. Don't know what Lily needs for international travel, and I only mention this because you mentioned Intl Falls.

To me it seems that what would be great would be to concentrate on the "Arrowhead" region and blow off the rest of Minnesota!

Nancy
Old 12-01-2006, 01:55 PM   #17

Winter reading list, in case you like mysters about places you go.

William Kent Krueger has a fiction series about a ex cop who is part Native and part Irish. These should be read in order. Iron Lake, Prugatory Ridge, Boundary Waters, Blood Hollow, Mercy Falls. Not part of the series is another political type suspense story "The Devil's Bed".

Another author I like writes about an ex-ball player, ex-cop up in the UP, Michigan. I can't remember his name, but I bet if you do a search using Paradise UP you would find him.

We just finished reading some interesting Science Fiction that also fits into the Science tour of the Soudan mine. The author Robert J. Sawyer writes *fiction* using as drop cloth the Sudbury Neutrino Observatory and Creighton Mine in Canada. Now I want to know if the Sudbury place uses water in their lab, any kind of water. The Soudan has this huge wall art thing. Makes me sad to think some artist painted this enormous thing on the wall and few people see it. Anyway "The Neanderthal parallax" consists of three books; "Hominids" "Humans" and "Hybrids". My, my but it does make one think. Those three books should be read in order.

Nancy
Old 12-02-2006, 12:29 PM   #18

http://www.emily.net/~schiller/nshore.html

Wow, what photography and text. The link I posted previously did not have pictures so I went hunting for pictutes of Bear Head Lake State park and found this person's site. This is the Northshore in a nutshell.

The author I couldn't remember is Steve Hamilton who writes about the area around Sault Ste. Marie, UP, Michigan.

Your dates in Minnesota are now much better. You won't need air conditioning, maybe heat in the evening, but still should be prepared for nasty bugs. Part of the reason I put links to Grand Marais campground and the Duluth Park Point campground is that they will be bug free. No tick or mosquito problems for Lilly. You guys may find you need a break from the deep woods. The reason we are going back to the coast in July is that we didn't see a mosquito the whole time.

Nancy
Old 12-03-2006, 06:14 PM   #19

http://www.momsway.com/west/rainy-river.shtml

Found it. Kay-Nah-Chi-Wah-Nung Historical Centre, Stratton, Ontario. Joy, you mentioned going from Baudette, MN to Fort Frances, Ontario and this place is of great interest to me. We haven't been there yet. They open May 4 and are cosed on Monday and Tuesday, so you should be able to visit if you want. The above link has a link to the Centre. Thought you might enjoy reading about the road you will drive. Eager for May to come so I can go experience this new place. Thanks for guiding me to my own back yard.

Nancy
Old 12-03-2006, 07:53 PM   #20

http://www.forestcamping.com/dow/eastern/supcmp.htm

The above link is to forest campgrounds. The one closest to Grand marais is Devil Track. East Bearskin and Flour lake are not as close but perhaps nicer. Personally I like to "camp" at the community RV park as they have showers and one can walk to the village and food. But if one wants to really camp then the above site will give you options. I think if you decided to go the natual way you would find some people joining you.

The Ely area will be under Kawishiwi and the Grand Marais area will be under Gunflint. It has been many years since I have been to Devil Track, Bearskin or Flour, so can't give you up to date information. As long as you didn't hit it over a weekend I think you could go to Grand Marais area without reservation, but if you are like me and want that shower and dining option then I would go ahead and be sure with a reservation.

Nancy