Nova Scotia or Bust the Lil Snoozy - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #21

Name: Glenn
Trailer: lil snoozy
South Carolina
In Nova Scotia!

Just arrived in N.S. from three days in P.E.I. Camped at Linkletter Provincial Park, a nice, clean semi central campground. It rained all three days.Had a hard time finding mussels and french frys until we drove the central scenic route and noticed the Sou' West Bar and Grill on the Sou' west River in New London Wharf right on the water where they farm the mussels. Had a great lunch of the mussels, frys and Gahan Island Red Ale. We had imagined places like this all over P.E.I., but it was not the case. Drove over the bridge to N.S. and are staying at the Cranberry Campground Richard recommended. It is wonderful,clean, on the water, family run and we would gladly stay a while, but we a are headed to the Cabot Trail staying at Adventure East Campground near Baddock for four days. If you have any other camping recommendations for us as we approach Halifax, or places that two "foodies" would like, please let me know. Until then,
Happy Trails
Gleam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:18 PM   #22

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Gleam,

We didn't drive the whole loop this year but did go to one excellent restaurant. It's a little place named the Clucking Hen. Absolutely the best deserts ever. It's in Englishtown. Great lunch stop.

Clucking Hen Cafe and Bakery, Englishtown - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:16 PM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Really glad you got to Cranberry Camping - beautiful spot, very welcoming and helpful people. If you're a paddler, Merigomish is very, very close to heaven - sheltered, warm water, great bird life and dandy little nooks and crannies to poke around in all over the harbour...
Richard Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:49 PM   #24

South Carolina
Halifax

We left Cape Breton yesterday and camped one night at Riverside Campground in Sherbrook. Today we are camping in Hubbard which is central to Halifax, Peggy's Cove, Lunenburg and such. Nova Scotia is wonderful, and we simply cannot find the words to describe the beauty that surrounds us daily. This has been a fine trip. The Snoozy is great and my thirteen year old GMC van is pushing 140,000 miles this week. Hope she holds up. We have a long ways to go, yet.
Happy Trails to you...
Old 08-08-2013, 01:17 PM   #25

Name: Tj
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
My wife and I are heading out for our second trip in our 1975 Boler. We will be in the North East corner of New Brunswick and finding our way down around PEI. If anyone has recommendations on any quiet camp grounds or spots to visit off the beaten path it would be appreciated. We will be leaving on Saturday Aug, 10th.
Smiths517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #26

Florida
We stayedin Linkletter Provincial Park near Summerside not too far from the bridge. We used that to see most of the province. Also stayed at the KOA near Charlottetown.

My three favorite things were the bottle house, MacAusland woolen mill and the real green gables. The Woolen mill is really wonderful. Great prices and it's a real old mill. They let you walk around like you owned the place. There since 1870.

Another neat place was the Notre Dame Catheral in Mt Carmel. This is a huge church in a small community where most surfaces have been painted to look like marble, almost unbelievable and worth a visit.... hope this is the right church but I'm almost sure it is the one.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #27

South Carolina
We like the Provincial Parks and also stayed at Linkletter.
The soft ice creme place at the intersection was GREAT
P.E.I. was ok, but we found Nova Scotia to be magnificent.
We stayed at both private and national parks in M.S.
All were just fine
Happy Trails
We leave the island tomorrow
Wish the ferry to Bar Harbor still ran!!
Old 08-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #28

Florida
Each of the maritime provinces are special in their own way. Our favorite is of course Newfoundland and the Labrador portion of NL. We like rural, really rural. Saying that we've been to NS 7 times.

It takes a lot of time anywhere to discover the ordinary, the special and the unique.

On each repeat trip we end up discovering something new. Our stop in NV illustrates it well.

On our last loop of the USA we spent more than a week in Welcome Station near Elko, NV. The owners of the campground gave us things to do and see every day. We were all over the desert and mountains visiting ghost towns, mountain lakes and even a thru hole in the top of a mountain. We had a great time and never saw it all and Welcome Station is almost no where.

We hope to return to Welcome Station, a nice little passport park with a group gathering around the owner's fire and sometimes with apple crisp and ice cream.

We're heading back to Welcome this year.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-09-2013, 04:56 PM   #29

South Carolina
Agreed
And yes, we heard it quite a few times...
The buzzword was Newfoundland. The ferry for us would probably be over $400?!
We're talking about an autumn in N.S.
It would be " on fire"!!!!
Old 08-09-2013, 05:08 PM   #30

Florida
Glenn, Just for reference the one way ferry cost to Newfoundland was $300, part of the reason we stay for a while plus I never want to leave. We plan to attend the Tunes, Trails and Tunes music festival again next year.

The ferry cost is a lot averaging out to $15 a day for our stay.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #31
bec

Name: Gabi&Wolf
Trailer: Escape 15 A
Alberta
Hi ......when travelling through PEI , NS and NB , do you all reserve campsites in Sept - Oct ?
bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #32

Florida
We typically don't reserve. It seems there's always a space. On the day we plan to arrive we will call ahead.

We do find that many provincial parks will fill on weekends so it's smart to make a reservation. We found in NL that if you're willing to dry camp in a Provincial park there's usually always a spot.

I will say our small size often gives us a spot that many larger rigs can not fit into.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #33
bec

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We typically don't reserve. It seems there's always a space. On the day we plan to arrive we will call ahead.

We do find that many provincial parks will fill on weekends so it's smart to make a reservation. We found in NL that if you're willing to dry camp in a Provincial park there's usually always a spot.

I will say our small size often gives us a spot that many larger rigs can not fit into.
Thanks for that......we wil not make it to NFL this trip , having read all you've had to say , we will plan a separate trip for NFL . We have only 6 weeks and are coming from Calgary .
Old 08-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #34

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita
Registry
Glenn , sounds wonderful we would love to do that trip one day . By the way your photo album on the lil snoozy page is ready.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #35

Florida
Now that's a haul from Calgary. I suspect that all the provincial park info applies to all the maritimes. The advantage in Sept and Oct is that the kids are in school so usually reservations are not required.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #36
bec

Alberta
That expression " back in the day " has real meaning for us . We used to think nothing of driving from Southern Ontario to Manitoba and on to BC ..... now we really do think of it as a "haul" ......with a little luck NFL 2015 !
Old 08-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #37
bec

Alberta
Spring .... with lots more time !
Old 08-10-2013, 05:15 AM   #38

Florida
Spring is the time... the icebergs are out.

Our first trip we went in September, nice enough, but no bergs. Ever since it's been May, June and July.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 08-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #39

South Carolina
Didn't bust the Snoozy, but our 2000 GMC van with 140,000 decided to die on us at Battleboro VT. We killed time by touring downtown and viewing a great museum display of Red Grooms.
$1150 later and we'll be on the road again!
Happy Trails
Old 08-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #40

Florida
Glad to read your back on your way. What failed?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16