Nova Scotia this summer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2015, 07:42 AM   #1

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Nova Scotia this summer

My wife and I are thinking about a trip to Nova Scotia this summer.
We are retired with no time schedule.
Many questions...How much time should we allow for the adventure?
Best route to take from New York/Vermont state line (route 4) at Fair Haven, Vermont to Nova Scotia?
Must see attractions in Nova Scotia and best places to camp with hook-ups etc.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thank You.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:36 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
There used to be a ferry from Bar Harbor ME to NS but they are not operating anymore. You can take a ferry from Saint John NB to Digby, you'd save some driving, but you'd miss Fundy Natl Park.
Nova Scotians on this board will probably chime in, but in NS I would recommend:
-Cape Breton Island: the Cabot Trail, Cape Breton Highlands National Park
-Louisbourg fortress (plan an entire day to visit)
-Baddeck, and the A. Graham Bell museum
-Downtown Halifax
-Lunenburg historical village and the Mahone Bay area, Swissair 111 memorial, Peggy's Cove
-Grand Pre, Port Royal and Fort Ann National Historic Sites.
-Shelburne historic village

Carl
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:31 AM   #3

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
Been awhile since we've been there but it is gorgeous. Stay along the coast and see it all. Recommend circling Cape Britain one way and then reversing. Sorry to hear about the ferry at Bar Harbor. It sure pretty there and enjoyed the crossing.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:39 AM   #4

Trailer: Former 1978 Trillium 4500 owner (now 2010 R-pod)
I believe the ferry service resumed last summer. Don't forget the LaHave Bakery in LaHave, NS and the Maritime Painted Salt Box Art Gallery in Petite Riviere, NS. Oh and by the way its Cape Breton at the north end of Nova Scotia.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:51 PM   #5

Name: Marshall
Trailer: casita
Maine
Fyi, there is a ferry that runs from Portland, Maine to Yarmouth, NS. Saves 720 miles of driving, about a 12 hour sail. The ship has full facilities, plus gambling after crossing the "3 mile line". The ship runs daily, east at night, returns to Portland by day.
I live 25 miles from Portland.
Marshall W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:12 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
For what it is worth, here is a journal of a trip to New Brunswick & Nova Scotia I took with friends during June, 2013.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 03:58 PM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Carl did well with his suggestions. I would not take the ferry. The drive is worth it particularly since you're not time pressed. I would definitely stop at Hopewell Rocks in NB. Plan on spending two days. We always stay at the same campground just before the rocks, I'll ask Ginny for the name. There are some interesting dikes near the camp ground. You need a day at Hopewell to experience the marvelous transition of the tides.

On the Cabot Trail keep your eye out for the Clucking Chicken, great desserts, soup and sandwiches.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:29 PM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Forget the ferry, go through New Brunswick, and pre-learn about St. Andrews, the Reversing Falls at St. John, Hopewell Rocks. Then into Nova Scotia to discover the Halifax Explosion, Peggy's Cove, Lunenburg, Boylston Provincial Park, The 'Men of the Deep' and especially the Fortress at Louisburg.....as you circle the Cabot Trail. You'll love the entire trip. We've repeated the entire 'camping route' several times, with three generations. And if you're into 'geocaching', the oldest Canadian cache is near Peggy's Cove. Have fun.
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:04 PM   #9

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
ns

Good vineyards in the Annapolis Valley. Cape Breton as mentioned.

Take the Ferry from Portland to Yarmouth, and drive back through NB on the return.

We Enjoy Dollar Lake Provincial Camp Ground, within an hour of Metro Halifax, but it's non serviced sites.

Had Acquaintances at Klahanie Kamping in Aylesford NS. Nice spot. Full service sites.
Ian Pearce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:00 PM   #10

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
All of what Carl suggested plus others - take your time there is just way to much to see and do!

Halifax is worth spending a few days in as well.

Halifax holds a International Busker Festival in Late July/Early August each year - the acts are amazing they come from around the world so not your average street buskers and it runs all along the water front - all day and into the late evening. They also have movie nights down on the pier in Halifax.

A couple of other things to do in Halifax especially if you are a history buff is visit the Halifax Citadel National Site, Maritime Museum of the Atlantic & Pier 21, Visit one of the grave yards where the victims of the sinking of the Titanic are buried. An last but not least visit the Alexander Keith Brewery.

Phil is correct the La Have bakery is a must stop and a drive out to the La Have Islands is worth while as well. Lots of history out there. There is a very cool cable ferry that crosses the La Have River as well that is interesting to take.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:26 AM   #11

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Many different attractions for all that of different tastes.
Having received full of suggestions, that we made a note, we go to the Club " AAA ", which we make left, and by discussing with an agent, we are built "TripTik", guides with the attractions to be seen on our road.

For us it is a very good method, we create our route with the suggestions and our preferences.

At "AAA" they suggest us to command our "TripTik" very near our date of departure to identify us the zones of works on the route.

We always had good results with this association.

Besides you can obtain reductions in many businesses, campsites, restaurants, hotels...

Even if the business does not announce to make party of the Club, only by presenting the membership card we grant us a discount...

Bons voyages à vous deux.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:17 AM   #12

Don't forget a ride to Meat Cove, the most northerly village of NS. Feels like the end of the world!

I don't know if you plan on towing the trailer on the Cabot Trail, but be aware there are some pretty steep grades along this road, like 12 to 18% for 5 or 7 km with tight switchbacks. Tow vehicle needs to be in good shape (with proper transmission cooler) with good brakes.

There is a Natl Park campground at Cheticamp, which is near the entrance of the Cabot Trail. Starting in the morning, you can drive the Trail with just the tow vehicle, and be back to the campground at the end of the day, stopping at the numerous lookouts (where you'll probably see many cars with overheated engines and brakes!). Then you can decide if you want to tow the trailer on the Trail or not (don't plan on towing the trailer to Meat Cove though!!)

Wait for a sunny day to do the Cabot Trail. On a foggy day you will not see much.

Carl
Old 05-12-2015, 09:25 AM   #13

Quebec
Registry
Very good notice Carl, that to inform not to attach the trailer for Cabot Trail.
We shall return to it in 1 or 2 years.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:42 AM   #14

Well I've done it myself with my popup and minivan, and I've seen larger RVs on that road too, even semis and larges buses. It can be done safely, it's just a matter of managing the brakes properly.

But if a tow vehicle already has its hands full just towing a trailer on flat land, I wouldn't recommend trying the Cabot Trail.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:41 AM   #15

North Carolina
I would like to thank one and all for all the excellent advise...special thanks to Gilles about the AAA "Trip-Tik" service. We are members of AAA and have never used this service. It seems the best way to go for routing and camping stops along the way. Thanks also to Carl V for the heads-up on the extreme grades along the Cabot Trail...sound like the long hard up the mountain pulls we encountered when we went west through Montana, Idaho, Arizona, Colorado and Utha....all a major test of the trans-cooler up and the brakes going down! Always best to leave the trailer at the campground whenever possible.

We should be ready to make the trip by late July or early August....any suggestions as to the best month to go....open to travel in July, August or even September.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:52 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl V View Post
Don't forget a ride to Meat Cove, the most northerly village of NS. Feels like the end of the world!

I don't know if you plan on towing the trailer on the Cabot Trail, but be aware there are some pretty steep grades along this road, like 12 to 18% for 5 or 7 km with tight switchbacks. Tow vehicle needs to be in good shape (with proper transmission cooler) with good brakes.

There is a Natl Park campground at Cheticamp, which is near the entrance of the Cabot Trail. Starting in the morning, you can drive the Trail with just the tow vehicle, and be back to the campground at the end of the day, stopping at the numerous lookouts (where you'll probably see many cars with overheated engines and brakes!). Then you can decide if you want to tow the trailer on the Trail or not (don't plan on towing the trailer to Meat Cove though!!)

Wait for a sunny day to do the Cabot Trail. On a foggy day you will not see much.

Carl
While I did tow my Escape 17 around the Cabot Trail loop, I sure do agree on not towing a trailer to Meat Cove, although there is an interesting campground hanging over the cove:
Attached Thumbnails
ASG_3742.jpg  
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:35 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
While I did tow my Escape 17 around the Cabot Trail loop, I sure do agree on not towing a trailer to Meat Cove, although there is an interesting campground hanging over the cove:
I remember my wife not really enjoying the drive up Meat Cove, on that narrow twisty gravel road with the cliffs on her side and no guard rails !!

And yes, beautiful view and nice little camping spot up there, quite popular with the motorcycle crowd.

Carl
Old 05-12-2015, 02:18 PM   #18

North Carolina
Jon Vermilye, I enjoyed reading your interesting Journal on your Nova Scotia trip a few years ago....Hope we get better weather than you did...perhaps the grades on the Cabot Trail Loop will not compare to the high mountain roads in the Rocky Mountains of the West!

If I encounter $5.00 Lobster Rolls like you did I might never leave Nova Scotia!
Old 05-12-2015, 03:25 PM   #19

Name: larry
Trailer: prolite
Nova Scotia
camping Nova Scotia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
My wife and I are thinking about a trip to Nova Scotia this summer.
We are retired with no time schedule.
Many questions...How much time should we allow for the adventure?
Best route to take from New York/Vermont state line (route 4) at Fair Haven, Vermont to Nova Scotia?
Must see attractions in Nova Scotia and best places to camp with hook-ups etc.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thank You.
There is a campground right on the Ocean, it"s Called Olde Shipyard Campground. It is about a Hours drive after you enter Nova Scotia in Amherst. Not sure of the Highways to get there but directions are on their wbsite. Bob and Noreen Kimber are the owners, wonderful couple.
olde sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:33 PM   #20

Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl V View Post
I remember my wife not really enjoying the drive up Meat Cove, on that narrow twisty gravel road with the cliffs on her side and no guard rails !!

And yes, beautiful view and nice little camping spot up there, quite popular with the motorcycle crowd.

Carl
I went there in 2005 and the way of Cabott Trail was recently asphalted.
I used some secondary, transverse roads, not asphalted, it was magnificent. Trip-Tik of "AAA" proposes us the direction which gives us the best panorama.
But when I return to it, I want to see it in both directions.