Nova Scotia Wal-Marts - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2011, 11:49 AM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Nova Scotia Wal-Marts

I searched for a map of Wal-Mart locations in Canada and found Walmart Canada Locations Map - Wal-Mart Guide
It shows all Wal-Mart locations in Nova Scotia as "No overnight parking". This must be a provincial regulation rather than a Wal-Mart one but I was wondering if it is enforced? I have a cousin who is a policeman in Maine and he said they don't enforce overnight parking bans unless they receive a complaint; they have better things to do other than disturbing travelers in the middle of the night.
Thanks,
Barrie
HikeSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Check this site out.(you do have to pay to belong but I think it is only$20)

Overnight RV Parking

Bill K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Bochoff View Post
I searched for a map of Wal-Mart locations in Canada and found Walmart Canada Locations Map - Wal-Mart Guide
It shows all Wal-Mart locations in Nova Scotia as "No overnight parking". This must be a provincial regulation rather than a Wal-Mart one but I was wondering if it is enforced? I have a cousin who is a policeman in Maine and he said they don't enforce overnight parking bans unless they receive a complaint; they have better things to do other than disturbing travelers in the middle of the night.
Thanks,
Barrie
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:29 PM   #3

Thanks Bill. However, I'm really interested in knowing if Nova Scotia has a ban on overnight parking and what experience other egg owners have had there. I assume that the site you referenced will repeat that there is no overnight Wal-Mart parking in Nova Scotia if that's what the 'law' is? I certainly don't mind spending the twenty bucks but I am interested in traveling through Nova Scotia this summer and I'm curious.
Thanks again.
Barrie
Old 03-09-2011, 03:35 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Ok, here is what it says about a Walmart in Sydney,ns

Bill K

Walmart Store # 3100Site #4733Parking Permitted? Yes
Address:65 Keltic Dr

Sydney, NS B1P 6J6Distance:12.24 milesPhone902) 562-3353GPS:46.109907, -60.224496
46 6.5944 N, 60 13.4698 W
46 6 35.67 N, 60 13 28.19 W Directions:Hwy 125, Exit 6, then NE on Hwy 4 ~ 0.2 mi, L into shopping center drivewayLast Update:Jul 28, 2010Comments:RVer reports that Overnight RV Parking is allowed, confirming reports from June 2008 and June & July 2009. As of 8/1/07, the Nova Scotia Tourist Accommodation Act is being interpreted differently by the Province. The Minister of Tourism has stated, RV owners are not committing an offence by simply parking overnight in a parking lot. Park in NE corner of lot, near RR tracks. June 09 RVer heard no trains at all. Lot is level, well lit, quiet after about 8 PM, and appears safe, but is very crowded earlier in the afternoon & evening. Burger King, grocery store & liquor store adjacent, many other stores nearby. See listing for Sobey's Supermarket next door..
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Trillium and 1989 Bigfoot (named 'Swanky')
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Donna R
Hi Barry
We live in Halifax where there are 2 Walmarts.
I have seen folks parking in both of them last year in all sorts of rigs.
I have also seen even more rigs ( up to 8 per night) parked in PEI Walmart (where we spend the summer.)
That was last season, but unless it has changed, it seemed to be OK with Walmart in both those locations.
PS Nova Scotia is great but think of including PEI in your travels too!
Donna R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:52 PM   #6

Thanks very much Bill and Donna. I was hoping that was the way it was. The regulations may say 'no' but in practice, it appears they're leaving well enough alone.
Thanks again. Much appreciated.
Barrie
Old 03-10-2011, 03:07 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
I remember a webcast stating something about Nova Scotia being totally RV unfriendly and it was basically illegal to permit overnight camping anywhere without a license. Lots of similar discussions are online:

see:

Quote:
“Section three (3) Article three (3) of the Tourism Accommodations Act states: “no person shall use, maintain, operate or manage a camping establishment or permit the use of any lands for the overnight parking or RV for the traveling or vacationing public unless there is a licence which is in force. 1994-95, c.9, s.3.”
Travel to Nova Scotia » Is Nova Scotia RV Unfriendly?

Survey of the effect on RV tourism of overnight parking ban

Nova Scotia RV boycott

In other news:

Quote:
In Nova Scotia today, Mr Roy Bent of North Walsham in Norfolk became the first man to cross the Atlantic on a tricycle. His tricycle, specially adapted for the crossing, was ninety feet long, with a protective steel hull, three funnels, seventeen first-class cabins and a radar scanner.
(apologies to Monty Python)
Old 03-10-2011, 03:40 PM   #8

Thanks Matt. I will check with the NS Tourism Department to see what their position is. There have been a few changes in the governing party over the recent past and if the law hasn't been officially changed they may have instructed the authorities not to enforce it.
Cheers,
Barrie
Old 03-11-2011, 07:48 AM   #9

Good news!
I contacted the Nova Scotia Tourism Department and received the following reply.
It looks as though logic has prevailed and overnight parking IS permitted.

"Good Morning,

The Tourist Accommodations Act remains the law of the land in Nova Scotia, however, officials of the Nova Scotia Department of Tourism, Culture and Heritage have stated that RV owners, as well as landowners are not committing an offence by simply parking or allowing parking overnight of an RV in a parking lot (i.e. shopping mall parking lots and other private property). According to the earlier interpretation of a provision in the Tourist Accommodations Act, a private landowner who did not have a campground license was subject to prosecution if he/she allowed RVers who were members of the traveling public to park overnight on his/her property. Although the Tourist Accommodations Act is still in place, it has been determined that RV owners are not committing an offence by simply parking overnight in a parking lot. Therefore, we are please to advise you and other RV travelers that there is no ban or law restricting RV parking in Nova Scotia.

We continue, however, to promote and encourage the use of our private, provincial and federal campgrounds for the safety and comfort of our visitors.

Travel Counselors are available 7 days a week to assist you with reservations for accommodations, car rentals, and adventure tours.

Our brochures and services are always free!

Sincerely,
Candace
Customer Service
Check In Nova Scotia
1-800-565-0000 or 902-425-5781
checkin@blueocean.ca
www.novascotia.com"