Obx 2013 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2013, 06:46 PM   #21

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Forgive my ignorance, but what does "OBX" stand for? Or did I miss the explanation?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #22

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but what does "OBX" stand for? Or did I miss the explanation?
Refers to the Outer Banks of North Carolina northern part. Much like HH refers to Hilton Head etc for other areas
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #23

Oklahoma
Thanks!
Old 05-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #24

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Raz, we camped at Jane's Island SP in March 1974. I had two milsurp shelter halves (makes one pup tent), air mattresses, and wool blankets--no sleeping bags. After freezing nearly solid, the next day we drove to Crisfield and bought bags with cotton flannel linings printed with pheasant and grouse from a filling station/bait shop. Still have one of them on the back seat of the truck. Took the ferry from Crisfield to Smith Island. Never been back.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:27 AM   #25

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Maybe we can catch you next time Raz. We've camped in A10 and P49 and would gladly take either for this weekend unless P61 were to magically be vacant.

My apologies to Mike for the acronym and an open invitation to come visit our NC barrier islands. Don't be fooled by those Virginians, we had the first real settlement in the new world.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:09 PM   #26
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Sorry Mike, my fault on the OBX. I used it in the title. Nicest undeveloped beaches on the east coast. Add it to your list.

Well Janes was a bust. We pulled in to a major fly hatching. Like deer flies only smaller and quite carnivorous. We really want to paddle the canoe trails, maybe in the fall. On to Killens. Wow Jack, Delaware sure wants a lot of money for a camp site. Take care of that will you. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #27
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al & Cindy K View Post
Maybe we can catch you next time Raz. We've camped in A10 and P49 and would gladly take either for this weekend unless P61 were to magically be vacant.

My apologies to Mike for the acronym and an open invitation to come visit our NC barrier islands. Don't be fooled by those Virginians, we had the first real settlement in the new world.

Al
D10 looks like a winner too but might be a little short for a Scamp 19? Have you been to the Orange Blossom bakery in Buxton across from the Exxon station for breakfast. The croissant sandwich........ Have a great visit, Raz
Old 05-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #28

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Trap Pond is my pick, Raz, but you are probably wanting to make as much northing as possible. We're going to Assateague mid-June. Lots of juice-free sites open for those who can check in on Sunday or Monday.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #29

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We stayed overnight at Trap Pond last Thanksgiving. There were a few campers there, but no one at the entrance to take our money. Been to Assateague a few times in the state park.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:53 PM   #30

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Raz,
My wife and I are also lovers of the OBX. Spend two weeks there every October. We usually stay at Camp Hatteras campground in Rodanthe with our 35' (3 slide)5er. We would ferry over to Ocracoke for the day while there. Always wanted to camp at Ocracoke but wouldn't put our big rig on the ferry. After years of camping we finally got tired of the large units and thats why we bought out Scamp 5er. This October we are going to camp at the Ocracoke NPS campground for the first time. We cain't wait. We will be there for at least 11 days. Last year while fishing at Oregon Inlet we were finding huge conch shells washing up on the beach. I've never found that many before. I found one huge dark blue one that was all orange on the inside. My wife also found the front part of a childs skull. She is a nurse and I'm in Law enforcement, so we both knew what it was. Turned it over to the rangers. However, could've been from a shipwreck many years ago???
Anyhow, great to see someone mention OBX. Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #31

Name: Cindy of Greg/Cindy
Trailer: 17' Lil Snoozy
Outer Banks
Wow Papa-T,
That was some find on the beach - skull - what did the ranger say?
I sure hope it was from a very long time ago

October is a fantastic time here (OBX) - barring hurricanes, etc.
btw - OBX is a fairly new acronym - Outer Banks. I believe one of my former co-worker's husband came up with it - his inspiration was the acronyms/abbreviations for countries (can't think of an example at the moment)
islandgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #32

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Ranger said exactly that. It could've came from a shipwreck 100 years ago. He was going to send it off to the lab to see if they could tell.
Here is a picture of our 8 lb Snchoodle at the OBX. Believe it or not he is 16 years old. He actually loves to wear the glasses, because he has cataracts.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #33

Oklahoma
If any of you who've been to the Outer Banks have at some time also been to the Florida panhandle shoreline, I'd be interested in knowing how you think they compare or contrast. Or how OBX compares to the Florida Keys. I was looking at St. Joseph Peninsula or the Pensacola area, where one can get out on a small strip of land. and I was thinking it might be similar to the Keys, which my parents took me to 3 or 4 times when I was a kid. Now wondering if OBX would also be very similar?

It's a long long way to the Keys from OK, but I'll be picking up my Lil Hauly in early June (it's been ready for a while now) and was thinking of visiting some shoreline as long as I was out that way. So I'm wondering which one I'd like better, OBX or panhandle?
Old 05-22-2013, 05:05 AM   #34

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
D10? I don't believe we have but will check it out this weekend. Also, I've noticed the Orange Blossom while going and coming but have never stopped there - thanks for the suggestions. If its not our last day, we usually take an early ferry to Ocracoke and have breakfast at the Pony Island Restaurant. I'm not sure which I enjoy the most - seeing the sun pop up over the Atlantic or the crab & swiss omelet on the other side.

We'll be making a stop at the bakery Monday morning - thanks again and have a safe trip back.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #35
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
Trap Pond is my pick, Raz, but you are probably wanting to make as much northing as possible. We're going to Assateague mid-June. Lots of juice-free sites open for those who can check in on Sunday or Monday.

jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
We stayed overnight at Trap Pond last Thanksgiving. There were a few campers there, but no one at the entrance to take our money. Been to Assateague a few times in the state park.

We passed by Trap at about 2:30. Too early to stop. Of the three parks off Rt 13' I like Lums the best because of the grass sites. As we don't ever plug in it's also a little cheaper. Tried Assateague three times, got in once. At the time we had to go to the federal campground as the state one wouldn't take dogs. Watch where you step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa-t View Post
Raz,
My wife and I are also lovers of the OBX. Spend two weeks there every October. We usually stay at Camp Hatteras campground in Rodanthe with our 35' (3 slide)5er. We would ferry over to Ocracoke for the day while there. Always wanted to camp at Ocracoke but wouldn't put our big rig on the ferry. After years of camping we finally got tired of the large units and thats why we bought out Scamp 5er. This October we are going to camp at the Ocracoke NPS campground for the first time. We cain't wait. We will be there for at least 11 days.
I'm sure you know you won't need reservations. The campground will be at 20-30% capacity except maybe Columbus day weekend. Mostly retirees. We should be there. How long we stay will depend on where else we go in the fall. Raz
Old 05-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #36
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al & Cindy K View Post
D10? I don't believe we have but will check it out this weekend. Also, I've noticed the Orange Blossom while going and coming but have never stopped there - thanks for the suggestions. If its not our last day, we usually take an early ferry to Ocracoke and have breakfast at the Pony Island Restaurant. I'm not sure which I enjoy the most - seeing the sun pop up over the Atlantic or the crab & swiss omelet on the other side.

We'll be making a stop at the bakery Monday morning - thanks again and have a safe trip back.

Al
Be aware there is no way you will park in their parking lot with a trailer. I parked across the road at the bank/county offices. Near the transfer station. We went down to the turtle pond near the light house to eat. Enjoy