Ocracoke In April - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-06-2015, 09:50 PM   #29

Name: Mark
Trailer: EggCamper 2012 #109, by 2006 Tundra or 2014 Outback
Western Massachusetts
Ted,
You've got me thinking about that Fishing Cart, but not for fishing in my case---for dragging Ham Radio Equipment on to the Beach or up on a Pier. We operate at beach sites often and I've used a variety of hand truck type equipment, but your cart looks like something I could use---for a Cooler, Batteries, Radios, Antennas, etc.--and we get all sorts of questions from visitors when we operate from Piers, especially--like the Pier at Little island/ Sandbridge on the south side of Virginia Beach. My wife tells the visitors that I'm talking to my home planet---Mars---eh, I get no respect....
Mark

Old 04-15-2015, 08:33 AM   #30

Name: Al
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Ted, the weekend weather forecast for the Outer Banks isn't looking too good but we're still heading to Frisco on Friday and will swing through the Ocracoke campground when we get over that way. Hope to run up with you at some point over the weekend. Will you be taking your truck on the beach or should I just look for the guy catching the most fish?

Al

Old 04-15-2015, 11:00 AM   #31

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Al I will be trying in front of the campground first. If no luck I will be getting the orv permit and heading down south of ramp 72 towards the inlet.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:40 PM   #32

Western Massachusetts
Hello Ted and Al,
I will be driving down the Outer Banks on Weds. the 22nd, Stopping at a friend's near Frisco, then ferry to Ocracoke, and another ferry to Cedar Island. Hope to have time to swing thru the campgrounds for a hello.
Mark
Red 2006 F250 crew cab
Old 04-21-2015, 01:19 PM   #33

Name: Al
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Hi Mark,

Sorry to miss you but we had to return home yesterday. The fish must have really been biting because we couldn't catch Ted as his site on the couple of passes we made through the Ocracoke campground. If you run into Ted, please tell him we'll try again.

We'll be tent camping on Portsmouth the first weekend in May and will try to look you up when we leave the island.

The Frisco campground hadn't opened when we arrived Friday AM a little after ten but still there were five campers in line ahead of us - the first two had been there before seven. None of them picked our favorite site, P59, and by noon we had everything set up.

There's a little knoll behind the camper, just big enough for a couple of chairs, that gives a great view of the ocean.

The weather could have been a little better but we still had a great time. Most mornings were so hazy you couldn't find the horizon. Not a great photo but, to illustrate my point, this was taken on the ferry ride to Ocracoke and shows a fish trap and a duck blinds.

We made it out to the beach a couple of times but the wind was pretty stiff and made it difficult to sit out and enjoy the surf.

Instead, we found it more comfortable on the sound side. The dunes provide protection from an on shore wind and water is much warmer and calmer due to the shallow depth. I'm sure Mark is familiar with this but, for those who haven't visited our Outer Banks, its not uncommon to be able to wade out a hundred yards or more before the water reaches above your waist. This was taken near the northern ferry landing on Ocracoke. Can't wait to get the grand daughter down here but her parents thing five month is a bit too young.

The NPS is updating the restrooms and showers (still cold water only) at Frisco. From what I could tell, it'll be a great improvement but haven't finished yet. The only running water is in one of the johns and in the trailer they brought in for temporay showers. You have to go up to the Cape Point dump station to get potable water.

Hope to see some of you down there on future trips.

Al
Old 04-21-2015, 02:41 PM   #34
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Thanks for the pictures. I'm envious. We are in the middle of "mud season" here. I couldn't get to pavement with the trailer if I had to. I won't even take the Forester out at this point. A few weeks. Maybe? Raz
Old 04-24-2015, 01:11 PM   #35

Western Massachusetts
Frisco Campground

Hi Al, Ted & All,

Al, I stopped at Frisco Woods Campground Wednesday afternoon. There was a man there in a newer Casita. He said he had seen a Scamp 5th wheel going north the day before. Must have been you, Of course, I had the wrong campground anyway-ha!, as I now realize that you all were at the NPS campground on the ocean side.

Just on the chance that Ted had moved north, I also pulled thru Oregon Inlet NPS campground on Weds. There was another Casita (16 or 17?) and an Escape (15 or17?)

Thanks for the nice pictures. There sure are a lot of campgrounds, NPS & Private (that I wasn't aware of) on the Outer Banks.

Portsmouth is a cool place. For anyone reading this, Portsmouth is an abandoned town on an Outer Banks island that is south, across Ocracoke Inlet from Ocracoke. It is part of the NPS. You can get there by private boat.

The sound and bayside waters over here at Cedar Island are also shallow for the most part. Great places for kids and grandkids with nice white sandy bottom. We have 1 very rustic campground here on Cedar Island, and another the next town south at Sea Level, NC.

Ted, I never made it to Ocracoke, as the 2pm Hatteras-Ocracoke ferry was full, and the 3pm would be too late to make the 4pm to Cedar Island--so I had to drive around--took 6+ hours!

I'll be at Cedar Island thru May 4 or 5 if any of the FGRV community is passing by and would like to stop by. Look for the wagon wheels at the street and Eggcamper in the driveway or carport--#2604.

Mark
Old 04-24-2015, 01:17 PM   #36

Western Massachusetts
Cedar Island

The backyard and (could be) boondocking area.
Mark
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cedar Island - lawn, fireplace & shore - 258kb.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	258.8 KB
ID:	83077
Old 05-12-2015, 01:31 PM   #37
Raz

Vermont
Finally got here! ! Raz
Old 05-13-2015, 06:31 AM   #38
Raz

Vermont
Pictures. That's us on the left in the campground shot.
Attached Thumbnails
1431516629337.jpg   1431516651289.jpg  

Old 05-13-2015, 08:57 AM   #39

Western Massachusetts
Hi Raz,
Nice pics. I've never driven in there, but, I'm guessing that is the NPS campground at Ocracoke?