Ocracoke Island, NC - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2009, 05:34 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I have been camping at the National Seashore (NS) campgrounds along the Outer Banks (OBX) NC for 15 years. During that time I would usually stay at the Oregon Inlet or Frisco campgrounds.

If you've never been, these National Seashore campgrounds are very nice but maybe not for everyone as they have little to no shade, and no electricity or water hookups. BUT they do have easy walking access to beautiful nearly deserted beaches, outdoor shower stalls that have air-temp water (feels great after a day at the beach) and of course bathrooms. I believe there are three of these National Seashore campgrounds on the OBX and they are all a short walk over dunes to the beach.

Usually while on the OBX I would always take a day trip and take the free ferry from the tip of the OBX to the Island of Ocracoke. The island is quaint, with a light house and lots of arts and craft shops, some restaurants and a "downtown" harbor where there are lots of people walking around or riding bikes.

Always when I left Ocracoke for the day I would notice another NS Campground on the way out of town on the way to the ferry. It is the only one of the NS campgrounds that I have mentioned that requires a reservation, the others are first come first serve.

Well, I decided to finally try the Ocracoke NS Campground, got back last week and I'm here to report. I'm kind of hesitant because selfishly I would like to keep it a secret! It is in my opinion the jewel of all the OBX National Seashore campgrounds.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ocra1.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	21847

It has the same sparse amenities as the others, no electricity or water hooks-ups, but the proximity to the beach, the people that camp there and the island its self make the difference! The beach is literally right over the dunes, not a 10 minute walk like the other campgrounds, one dune and you're there. At night you sleep to the sound of crashing waves.

Name:	ocra2.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	21846

The people that camp there are groupies! Some of them have been coming back to camp there every year for forty years! They all know each other just from meeting there over the years and they are super friendly. My first night there my neighbor invited me to a delicious dinner. I met and befriended more campers there than I had in all my 15 years at the other OBX campgrounds.

Name:	ocra3.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	21848

If you love the beach and don't mind dry camping you owe to yourself to try this place!
efawcett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:23 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Well, you done it now Eric . Just had to tell everyone didn't ya? j/k I think you may have been our travelling compadre last Sunday on 64 from Manteo to Tarboro- were you heading west around noon? We were in the silver Tacoma with the S16 Scamp - good lookin younger woman & old, fat, gray headed guy.

Ocracoke is a great campground but usually a little too crowded for us during the season. We prefer to visit there in May and October and like Frisco better June to August but either one ranks ahead of the best private offerings. Oregon Inlet would be third on our list with Cape Point (4th NPS campground near the Hatteras Light) bringing up the rear (but still a good choice unless its rained heavily).

You're right about the returning campers and their attitudes. We seldom visit without running into someone we've met before and almost always make another friend or two when on the OBX. Hope to run into you one of these days and introduce ourselves.

Al & Cindy
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:20 AM   #3

Trailer: 95 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft

Name:	DSCN0002.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	21873
YES YES YES... Now you all know why we chose to live here.. Saw both of you go buy our house on Rt 12 in Avon... If you don't dry camp & need electric & such there are lots of private ground with hook-ups.. The NPS also has a few dump sites that are free to all... This is a wonderful place any time of the year to visit... Welcome to all & don't forget to stop & say Hi, HECK stop at Dairy Queen for an ice cream, I'm only 4 doors south of it.. You can meet the Outbank Macaws & maybe catch a view of the famous Pirate Bluebeard.... Safe Travels to all..........
kconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:07 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Well, you done it now Eric . Just had to tell everyone didn't ya? j/k I think you may have been our travelling compadre last Sunday on 64 from Manteo to Tarboro- were you heading west around noon? We were in the silver Tacoma with the S16 Scamp - good lookin younger woman & old, fat, gray headed guy.

Ocracoke is a great campground but usually a little too crowded for us during the season. We prefer to visit there in May and October and like Frisco better June to August but either one ranks ahead of the best private offerings. Oregon Inlet would be third on our list with Cape Point (4th NPS campground near the Hatteras Light) bringing up the rear (but still a good choice unless its rained heavily).

You're right about the returning campers and their attitudes. We seldom visit without running into someone we've met before and almost always make another friend or two when on the OBX. Hope to run into you one of these days and introduce ourselves.

Al & Cindy
Hi Al & Cindy! That was me travelling with you... Thanks for being so friendly. I was pretty excited to see another Scamp on the road. I hope to run into you guys too for a non road/internet introduction. Maybe at a OBX Rally/Gathering?! That would be fun, Frisco filled with fiberglass RV's.

-Eric
efawcett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:26 AM   #5

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
kconley, thanks for the invite. We just may drop by one of these days. And yes, we are envious of those who get to enjoy the OBX year round but we are three hours closer to the mountains Kind of hard to be the camping options we have here in NC

Eric, we figured that must have been you and look forward to a personal introduction. We'll make Frisco at least 2-3 more times this year and are usually at Ocracoke the final weekend of the season (Columbus Day). Maybe we can get a few more folks here to join us sometime.

Al & Cindy
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote