Ocracoke NPS (Outer Banks), NC - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-30-2014, 04:22 PM   #15

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Just got home last night from a vintage camper rally. Perfect weather over the weekend, as you probably had too Frank. Keep in mind that it's cool in Howe Caverns, probably around 50.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:42 PM   #16

Name: Al
Trailer: Scamp
North Carolina
Glad you enjoyed your stay and sorry you didn't have better weather. The flooding you experienced is the reason we prefer the Frisco campground. Its location among the dunes and the heavy vegetation between most sites makes storms much less of a problem than the open field layout of the other three.

I'd agree the pedestrian beach access is better at Ocracoke but we have a 4WD vehicle and visit Cape Hatteras often enough to justify the $120 cost of a vehicle permit so we seldom walk over.

Great pictures - thanks for posting them. We'll be at Frisco some time next week for a few days and plan to be at Ocracoke the weekend before Columbus Day when it closes for the season. I sure wish the Park Service would leave either Fisco or Ocracoke open year round.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:53 PM   #17
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
We're looking at heading down that way in the spring, good info Al, thanks.

Frank, if you make it to Howe, get the cave cheese in the gift shop, totally worth the price if you like really sharp cheese! Last time we were there, the lower end of the cave was flooded and the boats were closed, actually saw the water level come up in the cave while we were there. Of course the kids were more interested in the zip line outside!
Old 10-02-2014, 03:18 PM   #18

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al & Cindy K View Post
We'll be at Frisco some time next week for a few days and plan to be at Ocracoke the weekend before Columbus Day when it closes for the season. I sure wish the Park Service would leave either Fisco or Ocracoke open year round.
I'd like to do one more trip this year, but it's about an 8 or 9 hour drive each way and I've already been 3 times this year. I've got jury duty in Nov/Dec, so if I'm going, it has to be in the next couple of weeks.

ETA: Just checked weather forecast for next week and it looks like lots of rain. I've met my quota of rain for the year.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:44 PM   #19

North Carolina
Huck , its a bit less than a three hour drive from our home to the Frisco campground so, if the weather does go south, its not as bad for us. Looks like a chance for rain Saturday AM and then different predictions from AccuWeather (no rain) vs Weatherunderground (good until Wednesday). We'll probably head out tomorrow afternoon or Saturday morning and see what happens. I actually enjoy watching an evening thunderstorm roll in from the Atlantic as long as the wind doesn't get too bad.

If you change your mind, we'll be in a Scamp fiver with a Tacoma. Would love to see a Parkliner up close.

Kevin, our favorites at Frisco are the odd number sites between P55 and P61, P68 and even numbered between A10 and A14. These have an ocean view (1/4 mile) and the P sites have decent privacy. I'd be glad to try and answer any questions you might have as your plans develop.

Al
Old 10-02-2014, 08:25 PM   #20
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Thanks, Al, I'll try to remember.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:20 PM   #21

Name: Dick
Trailer: Escape
Virginia
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Dick & Joanne
We were there (C3) for a couple of nights but had to leave for the bluegrass festival at Manteo. I went by your place once, but no one was home.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 10-11-2014, 10:27 AM   #22

North Carolina
We just returned home after several days at the NPS Frisco campground on the Outer Banks.

The forecasters missed again and weather was great the entire week. One morning, we took the ferry over to Ocracoke for breakfast at the Pony Island (crab & swiss omelet is awesome).

The campground hosts were fellow eggers - Barry and Connie Butz from Ohio in a really nice Casita they had highly customized.

Frisco and Oregon Inlet will be closing on Monday with Ocracoke staying open until the end of the month - hope to see some of you folks there next year.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:23 AM   #23

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al & Cindy K View Post
Frisco and Oregon Inlet will be closing on Monday with Ocracoke staying open until the end of the month - hope to see some of you folks there next year.
We should have an unofficial rally.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:35 AM   #24

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Hi Huck, like your tent. What kind is it? Carl
Old 10-11-2014, 12:20 PM   #25

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
We should have an unofficial rally.
Huck, that sounds like a great idea! If the Park Service continues their normal practice, they'll re-open Frisco on Good Friday which falls on April 16 of 2015. We're usually there for the opening but any time will probably work for us. Any interest from others on the board and any date preference?

Al
Old 10-11-2014, 12:27 PM   #26

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
Hi Huck, like your tent. What kind is it? Carl
Links
Clam Tent
Clam Wind Panels
Auger Tent Stakes

All you need is the tent, but the wind panels are nice to have and if you are going to be in the wind, you also need the auger tent stakes.

The wind panels are attached with Velcro strips, but I found the panels needed stronger attachment in strong wind. They came partially loose a couple of times and my stuff got rained on, so I added stronger fasteners to each panel but haven't tested them yet.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:25 PM   #27

Name: T
Trailer: Past Scamp Owner
Coastal Carolinas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
Several people stopped by to ask about my tent. It was one of the few still standing after the storms.
So I'm also asking about your tent... Which one is it?

Edited to add... Silly me. I see it in the comments above mine. Checking it out!
Old 10-20-2014, 05:40 PM   #28

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
We have one of those Clam 1660's as well, and have also had one left standing after strong winds tore other tents away last summer in the Adirondacks. We love it just because it keeps bugs out!

Frank

2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote