Olympic Nat'l. Park - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2011, 09:14 AM   #1

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Olympic Nat'l. Park

I am considering a trip north from Eureka, CA to the north western tip of Washington specifically the rain forest in the Olympic Nat'l Forest. Any tips about stopping places from mid-Oregon to NW Washington, including the park? Have camped in several southern Oregon coast campgrounds but have no experience in the NW Oregon or the Washington coast. Any suggestions? Thanks. Marg in NW California
Marg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:17 AM   #2

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
A couple years back, we stopped in the Cape Disappointment area, there's state parks with camping (but we stayed in a KOA). Also there are lighthouses you can tour and a bunch of Lewis & Clark historical stuff including a museum.

Also I would suggest staying at least one night in each of the 3 areas of Olympic NP. For the beach area, we stayed in Kalaloch, rainforest in Hoh, and mountains in Heart of the Hills.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:37 PM   #3

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Really enjoyed Ft, Stephen/\'s park in the Astoria area. Fantastic beaches and nice campground.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:47 PM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe
Registry
La Push (West of Forks) and Neah Bay are very interesting places and the RV parks are suited to 13' Scamps. Enjoy.
RonMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:39 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Some of the Olympic park CG's are first come, first serve. We stayed once in the Elwa River CG. There is another way up the same road, also first come...so it would be a long drive for nothing if it was full.

Mike
Mike Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:38 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I stayed at the Hoh campground in the park, Cape Disappointment State Park, WA, Beverly Beach State park, OR and Fisherman's Bend BLM Campground, OR on a trip in April/May this year.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:57 AM   #7

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Hi, Marg

You don't say when you're going- some campgrounds close for the season soon after Labor Day...
As it happens, I just did the same trip, but in reverse!
I live on the Olympic Peninsula and recently did the 101 from Laytonville, Ca. all the way to Astoria, Oregon.
Having driven the 101 in Washington lots of times, we cut over to the I-5 corridor from there...
The Oregon Coast is simply CRAMMED with campgrounds, most of which will easily accommodate your rig.
The Washington Coast is a different story- big chunks of it are Indian Reservations with little or no "outsider" access.
Kalaloch Campground in the Park is beachfront and near the rain forest.
My favorite spots out there are the (free!) DNR campgrounds along the Hoh River, though.
No amenities, of course, and first-come-first-served, but beautifully situated.
And the Hoh in the fall is an easy float if you like to do that kind of thing

Have fun!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:00 AM   #8

Trailer: 76 Boler 13 ft
Just came back from Mt. Rainer to Vancouver via Tacoma, 106, then 101. 101 is brilliant. The drive was amazing and scenic. Very little traffic on Labour day compared to the I-5 I'm sure. It took us almost the entire day 9am to 6pm to go from Rainer to Port. Towsend because of so many scenic spots to stop along the way. Highly recommend this if you have time.

Really enjoyed Ocean shores/Ocean city and that stretch of road on the SR 109 that winds its way up and around the Olympic Peninsula. Lots of places to camp, but depends on what time of year
khoa l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:36 AM   #9

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
All the Oregon state parks along the coast are great. I stayed at the State Park at Ocean Shores, just as you enter WA. Then roundng the Oly. Pen. I stayed at Mora SP.

As you head back east on the northern side near Pt. Angeles is a great little county park. Salt Creek County Park. Be sure to tour the entire park because there are two different sections. The one out on the point is dry, I believe and the other has hookups.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:51 PM   #10

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
All the Oregon state parks along the coast are great. I stayed at the State Park at Ocean Shores, just as you enter WA. Then roundng the Oly. Pen. I stayed at Mora SP.

As you head back east on the northern side near Pt. Angeles is a great little county park. Salt Creek County Park. Be sure to tour the entire park because there are two different sections. The one out on the point is dry, I believe and the other has hookups.

thanks to all for your replies. I am going to try for this trip next year. Marg in NW CA
Marg is offline   Reply With Quote