On the road to Alaska - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-22-2008, 03:48 AM   #15

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft / Chevy Astrovan
Made it to Denali on the summer solstice, eh? Talk about good timing!

Old 06-22-2008, 09:56 PM   #16

Name: Dick
Trailer: Escape
Virginia
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Dick & Joanne
Quote:
It would be great if you would go to Google Maps and print/post the route you took. Just for us 'stuck in the muds' who will never convince the spouse to take the trip.
Ask and you shall receive. I tried this and it worked.

Dick
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&....054688&z=4

Old 06-22-2008, 10:47 PM   #17

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Thanks! That is just the thing for me to put up on the wall in my office so I can think about what could be.

I am turning green with envy!
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:20 PM   #18

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Quote:
20 Jun.
Met a couple of nice ladies washing their Casita at Delta Junction. If anyone is headed this way, we are in Riley Creek Campground. Caribou loop for now.
Dick

Just wondering if the nice ladies happened to be Marie and Kathy. They are up there somewhere in their Casita enjoying Alaska's beauty.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:32 AM   #19

Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Just wondering if the nice ladies happened to be Marie and Kathy. They are up there somewhere in their Casita enjoying Alaska's beauty.

26 Jun
I believe it was. I know the one Joanne spoke with was Marie Moore (Morris?) I've seen 4 Casitas in the Riley Creek Campground including one that looked like a rental. The one yesterday had sprayed truck bedliner on the lower front. It looked good and had picked up way fewer dings then mine. Although, like mine, the metal frame has been about half rockblasted clean of paint.

We have had a great time here. We took a flight around Mt McKinley this morning. Nice and clear and BIG.
Yesterday we took a bus 60 miles into the park. Saw Mt McKinley, 7 Grizzlies, Dall sheep, carabou, a fox, and a couple of moose. Now we just need a wolf and a lynx and we will be ready to move on.
Tuesday we drove up to out into the park to look for the mountain. Didn't see it, but had a beautiful drive.
Monday it rained all day so we hid out in the Casita. Remembered why we got out of the tent.
Sunday we took a bus ride out to Savage Creek and walked the loop. Saw some marmots and several ptarmigan.
Saturday we went to the dog sled demo and then toured the visitor's center while it rained.

Pictures to follow.

Dick

Old 06-27-2008, 05:07 AM   #20

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
We love Alaska. Unfortunately have never had the time to drive it. I made my first of 8 trips in 2000 to kayak in Resurrection Bay and Seldovia, PWS, Sitka... (forest service cabins are great). I saw my first Casita near Anchorage (at a friends house I met on the trip #1) and had to have one after that. If I win the lotto tomorrow we will start packing for that road trip. I told my husband ''before'' we got married that he would have to be willing to travel to Alaska and kayak, etc. ''Deal or no deal''.

Have fun!

Old 06-29-2008, 03:06 PM   #21

Virginia
Registry
27 Jun
Rained all day so we took the shuttle to the end of the park road. 12 hours. We saw moose, bears, wolf, bald eagle (very unusual), caribou, and hundreds of snowshoe hares.

28 Jun
Rained most of the day. We drove up to Fairbanks and bought some supplies. Toured the UAF Large Animal Research Station. Spent the rest of the day at the UA museum. All great places to spend a rainy day.

Dick
Old 06-29-2008, 11:40 PM   #22

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Made it to Denali on the summer solstice, eh? Talk about good timing!
I continue to follow your adventure. And, don't take the following comment as a reflection on your journey.

Living in B.C. and having been to Alaska, I marvel at this desire for Americans to make this trip, through some of the most beautiful country ( B.C. ) to arrive in Alaska, where the mountains look more or less the same, just rounder and flatter.

I think they'd have a better trip if they spent more time exploring the road between here and there.

And wouldn't we all, no matter where we are headed?

baglo
Old 06-29-2008, 11:45 PM   #23

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Thanks Dick. Yes, it is Marie Moore and her friend Kathy ... Nice gals.

Years ago we were in Fairbanks for 3 days - we found the University of Fairbanks to be so interesting we went twice. They had a film on the Northern Lights that was excellent..

Just another idea for you to go when it's raining, or not.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:14 AM   #24

Quote:
I continue to follow your adventure. And, don't take the following comment as a reflection on your journey.
Living in B.C. and having been to Alaska, I marvel at this desire for Americans to make this trip, through some of the most beautiful country ( B.C. ) to arrive in Alaska, where the mountains look more or less the same, just rounder and flatter.
I think they'd have a better trip if they spent more time exploring the road between here and there.
baglo
When we moved up here in '79, we thought the Canadian part of the journey was marvelously beautiful.
Better roads, too.
But Alaska is, among other things, a handy-dandy way to experience the midnight sun!!
Old 07-02-2008, 02:47 AM   #25

Virginia
Registry
Quote:

baglo
I have to agree. B.C. was beautiful. I wished a couple of times that I had time to "stop and smell the roses". Unfortunately, we had reservations and I did not allow enough time for stops in the outgoing trip. Next year I am thinking of going through B.C. on the way to Bandon if gas doesn't get too expensive to make another trip.
We left Denali on Monday morning and are in Anchorage until tomorrow. We walked over to the museum after I had the car oil changed this morning. It was very nice. Great volunteer tour guide through the cultural exhibits. Kind of depressing when she described the treatment of the native Aleuts during WW2.
Off to Seward tomorrow (Wednesday)
Dick

Old 07-02-2008, 03:17 AM   #26

Will you be in Seward for the 4th of July? It's quite a nice small town celebration, and the runners that do the Mt. Marathon race are pretty amazing.
(We'll most likely head into Kenai for their parade, rain or shine. And maybe go to the Oilers baseball game in the evening.)
Anyway, watch out for idiots on the road. It's apt to be a madhouse this weekend.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:00 AM   #27

Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Will you be in Seward for the 4th of July? It's quite a nice small town celebration, and the runners that do the Mt. Marathon race are pretty amazing.
(We'll most likely head into Kenai for their parade, rain or shine. And maybe go to the Oilers baseball game in the evening.)
Anyway, watch out for idiots on the road. It's apt to be a madhouse this weekend.
Hi Connie.
We went to the Sealife center today and took the walk out to Exit Glacier. Not sure about the 4th. We didn't make advance reservations, so will have to move up to Portage for the next 3 days. I am hoping that something will open up here after the 4th. Otherwise we will have to commute to the boat rides. I have had plenty of experience with the road idiots already. Almost got to watch a 4-way coming out of the Kenai Fjords park this afternoon. Some fool tried to pass me and two other cars as the car in front was turning left and another was pulling out of the store parking lot into the oncoming lane. That was after the first car had cut off the car in front of me about a mile before that. Milepost had already warned us about the traffic on this stretch of road. I've been leaving lots of space for escape.

Take care,
Dick
Old 07-03-2008, 03:52 AM   #28

Exit Glacier - yeah! (How were the flies? The last time we were there, everybody was waving and waving, so friendly...)
Well, the Portage area is awfully pretty, but hope you can find something closer to Seward so you don't have to drive too much to go out into Resurrection Bay.
FYI Sites #5 and #7 (and #14) at Ptarmigan Creek CG (our favorite) have nice stream noise to cover up road sounds, and anything at Trail River is farther from the road. Primrose is nice, too, but small. (We've never stayed right on the waterfront in Seward) Lots of bear scat up the trail at Ptarmigan last weekend.
Wishing you a safe and happy 4th of July up here in the north country...