Opened Camping Season with a Weekend at Joshua Tree National Park - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2019, 12:39 PM   #1

Name: Alex
Trailer: 1999 Casita 16' "Snufkin"
California
Opened Camping Season with a Weekend at Joshua Tree National Park

We just came back from a weekend camping at Black Rock Campground in Joshua Tree National Park.
If anyone wants to check it out, I believe next couple of weeks would be perfect before it gets too hot. As of now, the weather is perfect at 70's during the day and down to low 50's at night. Bring warm sleeping bags! Can't use generator at night 7pm-7am and I didn't dare to use propane heater with all the caveats about "safe use inside". Kids got cold on their bunk bed in the middle of the night so we "took them in" and slept in until 8:30! Now that's proper camping
Besides sleeping we did some hiking, rock climbing, wildflowers seeing, caterpillar catching, and wild life watching.
We saw lots of jackrabbits, some right next to our camping spot; roadrunners; quail; maybe a kangaroo rat, and lizards.
Our aspirations for next time are to see tortoises and big horn sheep.

Wildflowers are starting to bloom and next few weeks should be awesome.
Watch for Chollo cacti! They are mean and incredibly hard (and painful) to extract. Luckily it was me who got a few needles through my jeans and it was no fun pulling them out! Soooo happy kids avoided them.

All in all it was a great trip and we plan another one next year. In the meantime, looking forward for a whole bunch of beach camping in coming months
Alex in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Great report - Need pics. Sounds like a good time was had by all. Congrats on getting out with the kids. I'm sure great memories were made.

The campgrounds on Cape Hatteras NS (NC Outer Banks) open Friday week and we'll be taking our grand daughter - she loves it. Please report back with your coastal camping experiences as we're working our way west.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:15 PM   #3

Name: Clayton
Trailer: 1975 Trillium
Alberta
Registry
Hi Alex, so jealous about your weekend . Would also love to see some photos!
Clayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:42 PM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
We were there two weeks ago, camped at the Belle campground. There was also an Egg next to us and a Casita across the way. The bloom was beautiful along the Pinto Basin Road, and on the way to Borrego Springs for a day trip. And the nights were darn cold. I am glad we were not there over a weekend, I understand the word is out and it is getting crowded.
Attached Thumbnails
P1060373.JPG   P1060415.jpg  

Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 09:38 AM   #5

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Camped at Cottonwood CG last month, but fell in love with Bell when I saw it. It'll sure be my choice if I ever make it back to Joshua Tree. Sounds like you had a marvelous family trip with great memories for the kids.

Walt
Old 03-27-2019, 09:40 AM   #6

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
I always wear a multitool with pliers when hiking in the desert, particularly when our dogs are along. They seem to find the cholla spines about every other hike, and they don't know the cautions about carefully removing them. I've removed them from our dog's pinned-together ears, and from his lips after he tried to remove one with his teeth, poor guy.
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 02:51 PM   #7

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
Thanks for the report. I have forwarded to a friend in SoCal who wants to go. "come on baby, light my fire"
Cheers, Mark
Old 04-03-2019, 05:32 PM   #8

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
To expensive for Canucks in the USA.

Yes we opened our camping season in our brand new to us 2017 Winnebago Trend, we dropped down from a 2006 30' Winnebago Sunova Special Addition. to a 24'4" unit and a way smaller gas engine now have 3.6L 280HP does okay and we hit around 16 mpg as mostly flat driving. I tried my hardest to get my wife to go for a 13' Trillium but she said no way. So the Trend we got has twin beds, she is happy with it so that is all the matters.
We spent 3 days and nights at the Cedars Camp Ground in Bellingham/Ferndale area of WA. then down to Cabellos, Walmart, SPO, for two days from there back to Burlington Camping World working our way home for a total of 7 days in the USA. We paid $1.33 for every US dollar, Walmart is charging Canadians $1.39 for every Canadian Dollar. So not much point in Canucks shopping in the USA and they say our dollar will be dropping as low as 62 cents soon.
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:56 PM   #9

Name: R.R.
Trailer: Escape 21
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
We were there two weeks ago, camped at the Belle campground. There was also an Egg next to us and a Casita across the way. The bloom was beautiful along the Pinto Basin Road, and on the way to Borrego Springs for a day trip. And the nights were darn cold. I am glad we were not there over a weekend, I understand the word is out and it is getting crowded.
No doubt the word is out; Belle is our favorite and we drove there 3/12 from Indian Wells and got skunked everywhere and had to do the BLM near Twentynine Palms. Not advocating they change Belle and others from First Come, yet that was crazy bad. Black Rock was ridiculous as there were plenty of spots suitable for a trailer that were marked "tent only" that were available. Many of them were better than those available for trailers yet every trailer site was booked.
Osos1 is offline   Reply With Quote