Oregon Hwy 30 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-16-2006, 07:32 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Rick B's Avatar
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 153
I am planning another trip to the Oregon Coast. Last year, we turned off at Olympia on Hwy 12 to Aberdeen, then south on 101. This year, we thought we may head down I 5 to Longview, then across Hwy 30 from Rainier to Fort Stevens State Park. I have temporarily take leave of my senses and purchased a stick built trailer with Filon sides (but a molded fibreglass nose), after having 3 molded FG trailers consecutively. My trailer is about 25 feet long, so wondering how Hwy 30 is for a unit like mine?

I did visit Bandon last March with my Bigfoot and stayed a few days. The lady at the Radio Shack store was extremely impressed with the Canadian $2 coin (the 'twonnie'), so I must stop there again. I expect to end up at Gold Beach so I can do the jet boat up the Rogue River.

Thanks in advance


Rick B
Williams Lake, BC
__________________

__________________
Rick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:54 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Taylor Kissinger's Avatar
 
Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Posts: 260
Registry
--><div class='quotemain'>
I am planning another trip to the Oregon Coast. Last year, we turned off at Olympia on Hwy 12 to Aberdeen, then south on 101. This year, we thought we may head down I 5 to Longview, then across Hwy 30 from Rainier to Fort Stevens State Park. I have temporarily take leave of my senses and purchased a stick built trailer with Filon sides (but a molded fibreglass nose), after having 3 molded FG trailers consecutively. My trailer is about 25 feet long, so wondering how Hwy 30 is for a unit like mine?

I did visit Bandon last March with my Bigfoot and stayed a few days. The lady at the Radio Shack store was extremely impressed with the Canadian $2 coin (the 'twonnie'), so I must stop there again. I expect to end up at Gold Beach so I can do the jet boat up the Rogue River.

Thanks in advance
Rick B
Williams Lake, BC
[/quote]
Hwy 30 is fine, I live two blocks from it. There is also a nice little county park at the top of the grade after crossing the Columbia river and turning west Hudson Parcher County park, Columbia County
__________________

__________________
Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:26 PM   #3
Member
 
Rick and Shannen's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1986 23 ft Road Ranger
Posts: 74
Hwy 30 between Rainier and Astoria is a nice ride. Astoria can be a little hectic to go through on the way home but the highway is great.
__________________
Rick and Shannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 09:05 PM   #4
Moderator
 
Gina D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Posts: 9,016
Registry
It sounds like a good trip, cept for the Longview part! (Just kidding Rick)

Going on the Washington side is a nice trip too.
__________________
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 09:47 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 6,307
Registry
Quote:
It sounds like a good trip, cept for the Longview part! (Just kidding Rick)

Going on the Washington side is a nice trip too.
There's a Washington side??
__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 09:56 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Rick B's Avatar
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 153
Quote:
There's a Washington side??
++++++++++++++++++++++

Did part of the Washington side last year, and who knows, may come back through Astoria. As it now stands, I think I might try the county park at Rainier and then spend a night or two at Fort Stevens, then wind my way down the coast to Crescent City, Ca, then inland to Grants Pass, to Portland, then inland to Yakima and cross the border near Osoyoos, BC, then home. I figure about 3,500 km (2,200 miles) over almost 3 weeks!

Thanks for all you help and suggestions.

Rick B
__________________
Rick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 09:59 PM   #7
Moderator
 
Gina D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Posts: 9,016
Registry


Yep, really!

Closer to Longview, there's lots of easy river access on that side too! Plus, if you take that way, your view is of... OREGON!
__________________
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 12:22 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 6,307
Registry
Actually there's something to be said for either way.

1. Off the freeway at Longview, Washington 4 to the Astoria bridge, across the the bridge to Astoria then on to Ft Stevens. For part of the way you're right beside the Columbia River and on a clear day the trip across the Astoria Bridge can be pretty impressive.

2. Off the freeway at Longview, cross the river to Hwy 30. Take Hwy 30 to Astoria. Nice trip up and over the coast range. You'll want to stop at the rest stop at the top, there's a great view out over the Columbia River.

Coming down from the north I would be very tempted to opt for the Washington side.

(Hmmmm,,, I guess there is a Washington side)
__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 04:47 PM   #9
Member
 
Rick and Shannen's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1986 23 ft Road Ranger
Posts: 74
I am not sure if everyone knows this but the "Washington side" has had slide problems this winter and I don't know if it is still down to just one lane or if traffic is now going both ways. Just be sure to check the Washington highway website before you head out.

BTW - What's wrong with good ole Longview? Don't you like the smell of paper mills (aka "the smell of money")?!
__________________
Rick and Shannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 08:06 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Rick B's Avatar
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 153
Quote:
I am not sure if everyone knows this but the "Washington side" has had slide problems this winter and I don't know if it is still down to just one lane or if traffic is now going both ways. Just be sure to check the Washington highway website before you head out.

BTW - What's wrong with good ole Longview? Don't you like the smell of paper mills (aka "the smell of money")?!
++++++++++++++++++++++

Perhaps 'Longview' is the best bet, as you get a long view towards the Pacific

I think I might try the County Park at Rainier on the way down, otherwise there is a State Park in Washington, on a lake, north of Longview with visuals on Mt. St. Helens, I guess only if it isn't raining?

I might check with Washington DOT before I leave for a status report of Washington Hwy 4.

Thanks again
__________________
Rick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 12:40 AM   #11
Member
 
Trailer: '74 Ventura
Posts: 47
It has been a while since I was in the Longview to Astoria route (a little over 15 years was the last time)
but I traveled it quite a bit "both" sides (lived in Woodland, WA - worked in Longview) - anyways this is back when I was "single" , I would take my Motorcycle (sleeping bag & tarp) on the weekends down to the coast (and LOTS of side trips, many times never reaching my actual destination).
Anyways may I suggest that you do crossover to Oregon at Longview, then UP (and I do mean UP) the L O N G hill (though there is a pull out - great for photos) and then head to Westport Oregon. At this point I would suggest taking the "little ferry" back over to the WA side, it is a "quick" ferry trip, but a unique ferry and does offer some very nice photo ops.
Now once off the ferry you will be on Puget Island (transport back into a earlier time) it will remind you of the NW in the 40's - 50's.
Now head toward Astoria from the WA side but take time out when you hit Skamockawa. There is a spot on the main drag called the "Duck Inn" (Skamockawa Pete's to the locals) - well let's hope it is still there - anyways it's NOT the nicest place (but a LOT of Local Flavor), but go toward the back of the place (through the parking lot) and drive a bit and you will run across a Old
Hotel right on the water (well ok, the Slough) but it is very cool - I heard a rumor someone was going to renovate it - don't know if they did or not. But it is unique and worth a look see.
Also taking some of the side roads just like 3 miles in around Skamockawa you will again travel back into time - all very interesting.
Now if you like "Ghost Towns" travel up a bit and then turn off and head for Knappton - not much of anything there "people wise", but you will find many abandoned buildings and stuff to inspire your imagination with what NW life was like back in 1870 - believe the town "died" early 40's .... still (was) a wharf there.
Of course from there you will be on to the regular "tourist" and known places -
Good Luck and Enjoy the drive
__________________
ttmatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 04:11 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Rick B's Avatar
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 153
Quote:
It has been a while since I was in the Longview to Astoria route (a little over 15 years was the last time)
but I traveled it quite a bit "both" sides (lived in Woodland, WA - worked in Longview) - anyways this is back when I was "single" , I would take my Motorcycle (sleeping bag & tarp) on the weekends down to the coast (and LOTS of side trips, many times never reaching my actual destination).
Anyways may I suggest that you do crossover to Oregon at Longview, then UP (and I do mean UP) the L O N G hill (though there is a pull out - great for photos) and then head to Westport Oregon. At this point I would suggest taking the "little ferry" back over to the WA side, it is a "quick" ferry trip, but a unique ferry and does offer some very nice photo ops.
Now once off the ferry you will be on Puget Island (transport back into a earlier time) it will remind you of the NW in the 40's - 50's.
Now head toward Astoria from the WA side but take time out when you hit Skamockawa. There is a spot on the main drag called the "Duck Inn" (Skamockawa Pete's to the locals) - well let's hope it is still there - anyways it's NOT the nicest place (but a LOT of Local Flavor), but go toward the back of the place (through the parking lot) and drive a bit and you will run across a Old
Hotel right on the water (well ok, the Slough) but it is very cool - I heard a rumor someone was going to renovate it - don't know if they did or not. But it is unique and worth a look see.
Also taking some of the side roads just like 3 miles in around Skamockawa you will again travel back into time - all very interesting.
Now if you like "Ghost Towns" travel up a bit and then turn off and head for Knappton - not much of anything there "people wise", but you will find many abandoned buildings and stuff to inspire your imagination with what NW life was like back in 1870 - believe the town "died" early 40's .... still (was) a wharf there.
Of course from there you will be on to the regular "tourist" and known places -
Good Luck and Enjoy the drive

Thanks, I have allowed a day to get from Longview/Ranier to Astoria (reserved at Fort Stevens. Any problem taking my trailer on the ferry, or should I make it a day trip from Astoria?
__________________
Rick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 07:00 PM   #13
Member
 
Trailer: '74 Ventura
Posts: 47
--><div class='quotemain'>
Thanks, I have allowed a day to get from Longview/Ranier to Astoria (reserved at Fort Stevens. Any problem taking my trailer on the ferry, or should I make it a day trip from Astoria?
[/quote]

It is a "small" ferry - two rows for vehicles if I recall, but logging trucks (if I recall correctly that would be room for two trucks and a few cars) - so other than maybe having to wait, due to room you should fit just fine on it, so I would say no problem with your trailer - again as i say it has been 15+ years, but I doubt if much has changed in that time

here is a link:

http://www.cwcog.org/ferry.html

Enjoy
__________________
ttmatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 12:04 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 6,307
Registry
Quote:
--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick B @ Mar 26 2006, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotemain'>
Thanks, I have allowed a day to get from Longview/Ranier to Astoria (reserved at Fort Stevens. Any problem taking my trailer on the ferry, or should I make it a day trip from Astoria?
It is a "small" ferry - two rows for vehicles if I recall, but logging trucks (if I recall correctly that would be room for two trucks and a few cars) - so other than maybe having to wait, due to room you should fit just fine on it, so I would say no problem with your trailer - again as i say it has been 15+ years, but I doubt if much has changed in that time

here is a link:

http://www.cwcog.org/ferry.html

Enjoy [/quote]


Adding this ferry ride to my list of things to do.
__________________

__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1971 Avco in Oregon City, Oregon Michele B Referrals: Molded Fiberglass Trailers 3 02-04-2012 02:12 AM
1971 Avco 25' in Oregon City, Oregon Michele B Referrals: Molded Fiberglass Trailers 0 05-28-2010 04:23 AM
Oregon Web Cam Steve L. Oregon Gatherings 5 07-20-2007 11:45 PM
Oregon Jeremy Witt General Chat 3 11-14-2005 02:27 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.