Oregon Trip - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2008, 12:33 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Well you folks were right about the campgrounds booking up fast. We spent an hour or so planning and trying to book sites. We got a couple. I hate to admit my ignorance, but I was preparing myself for a lengthy trip. I was shocked to find that the Oregon coast is only about 450 km in length. I do that when I go up and back to Edmonton to visit my son. I guess that the key idea is to find 3 to 5 places to camp and then go out exploring from there. The first place we got was South Whidbey State park.

I really appreciate the advice I recieved.

How long does it take for a battery to charge while you are driving? It would seem that most of the campgrounds are not going to be much more than an hour appart. Is that long enough to charge a battery?
Greg Conly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:31 AM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
I was shocked to find that the Oregon coast is only about 450 km in length.
Two years ago, we took 10 days to do the Oregon Coast. We spent two days at Fort Stevens SP, at the mouth of the Columbia River, touring some of the historic sites there and in nearby Astoria. We visited most lighthouses along the coast, the Tillamook cheese factory and air museum, a shopping trip at the Lincoln City factory outlet mall, etc. We had a seafood dinner one evening at Newport (stayed two nights at South Beach SP). We had hoped to do part of the Rogue River in a jetboat, but were to early. All campsites we stayed at were state parks. It took us one day to drive from our home to the US border, but 10 days to do the equivalent trip along the Oregon Coast!
Rick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 01:49 PM   #23

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Might want to try inland too!

Oregon's outdoor adventures a 'blast' -- even for city families
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:26 AM   #24

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Greg,

I came across the Ferry to Port Townsend 2 years ago and stayed at Poulsbo, Kitsap SP. A night around Pt. Townsend would be good. It's a nice area to explore. Because I was off 20 at the SP I took Highway 3 down to highway 101 and jogged onto highway 108 hooking up with highway 101 again prior to Aberdeen. Then head south from there. Yes, highway 101 is on both sides of the Olympic Peninsula. It actually loops around the Peninsula which can confuse people.

As far as the Oregon coast, You Betcha!!! You need reservations along the coast in the summer. It's been rare when I've been able to pull into a SP and get a site without reservations. I despise the reservation system as it has put us all on a schedule. I don't like to travel that way. I still think first come first served worked better for travelers. Reservations might work good for locals. But hey, they live close so they've got all the time in the world to camp locally.

Back to your trip. You may have noticed the length of the coast might not be very long in your estimation but can be a slow drive. There are lots of scenic turnouts. Walking on the beach is always something Lily and I do at about every turnout so it's can take me a week to go 200 miles. Each walk on the beach consumes a good hour or more.

Have a wonderful trip.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:56 PM   #25

Trailer: 1997 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe (aka 'The Cramper')
Ahhh... Whidbey Island, WA, reporting in here.

Driving from Canada, down the I-5, look for signs pointing to Anacortes (if you want to see the San Juan Islands) and Whidbey Island (Hwy 20, South). Go to Whidbey Island. Stop at the DECEPTION PASS BRIDGE for breathtaking views West (toward the San Juans) and East (toward "America" - that's what we islanders call the mainland. And we sometimes call it "the Dark Side" as well. )

A mile or so south of DECEPTION PASS BRIDGE is DECEPTION PASS STATE PARK. Lovely place to camp. Great birding area. You might even see orca whales. Nice hiking trails, and fishing along the pebble beaches. http://www.parks.wa.gov/parkpage.asp?selec...eception%20Pass

Continue south on Hwy 20, to KEYSTONE/PT TOWNSEND FERRY. There a campsite called FT CASEY STATE PARK has a small camping area right on the pebble beach overlooking the comings and goings of the ferry. It's a bit windy there, but lovely and fun. Great walking beach where we've found small agates. Wave to folks on the ferries. Wonderful site. Even though we only live 20 miles south of there, we sometimes go camping there just for the fun of it! http://www.parks.wa.gov/parkpage.asp?selec...rk=Fort%20Casey

YOu will want to make a reservation to cross on the KEYSTONE/PORT TOWNSEND FERRY. Check the WA state ferry website. You don't have to have a reservation, but it helps. http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/

So you have two options there:

1. Cross on the KEYSTONE FERRY to the OLYMPIC PENNINSULA. Campsites along the Pacific-facing West Coast (Hwy 101) are wonderful. There are campgrounds at Kalaloch and Pacific Beach. I love Kalaloch. If you have dogs who like to run themselves silly along miles of beach, this is the place to be. Campsite are under wooded shelter about 30-50 ft above sea level, then trails down to driftwood beaches. Great sunsets. I truly love this area.
http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail...id=HGW206-001A

2. BUT, if you don't want to go to the Olympic Penninsula, from the Keystone Ferry go back to Hwy 20 south - it turns into Hwy 525 to the CLINTON/MUKILTEO FERRY and back to the I-5 south. But before you leave Whidbey Island, there's SOUTH WHIDBEY STATE PARK on the west-facing side in a fir forest. Very nice, but the steps to the beach were trashed in a storm 2 years ago and have not yet been replaced. Still, there are nice hiking trails in and around the park.
http://www.parks.wa.gov/parkpage.asp?selec...South%20Whidbey

And be sure to visit LANGLEY, WA - that's where we live - a thoroughly charming small seaside village about 4 miles off Hwy 525, to the northeast, facing Mt Baker - art & antique shops, nice restaurants, friendly folk... very picturesque.
http://www.visitlangley.com/

If you take the Clinton/Mukilteo ferry and rejoin the I-5 south, that will take you through Seattle, Tacoma and Olympia.

Happy cramping!
Sharen Heath
HeathGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:51 PM   #26

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
A good deal of our summer camping is on the oregon coast and we recommend:

Nahalem Bay State park -- we prefer the outer loops on A, B & C and try to get as close as possible to he sand dunes. We like this park because the beach is so close, and the cute town of Manzanita is a bike ride or short car ride away, plus there is a great walking trail where you can stand directly under small air craft landing and taking off at Manzanita local air strip.

Fort Stevens -- Miles & miles of bike & hiking trails, history, swimming lake, and great beaches & a wildlife viewing area a short drive to the peninsula. please note that this is a very large state park.

We wish you a great trip!
Old 05-12-2008, 09:53 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I just have to say that I really appreciate the suggestions. If you folks had not suggested that we book our campgrounds now, I would not have, and missed out on this holiday. We have booked 5 sites from Washington State down to almost the bottom of Oregon. We have service at all sites except the last two. We are staying 3 nights at each of the sites so we will have time to explore. Now we know where we are stopping we can plan what we will be able to see.

Several people put forward must see sights. Now we can start to plug those in. Finding a place to stop was at the top of our prioities. Now I can go back through the postings and plan what to see and where to go.

We were hoping to head up through Crater Lake. It is supposed to be spectacular. Does anyone have any suggestions for camping in that area?

Once again thank you for your input. I am in awe of the kindness and helpfulness of the people who post to the forums.

Thank you again.

Greg
Greg Conly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:43 AM   #28

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Several people put forward must see sights. Now we can start to plug those in. Finding a place to stop was at the top of our prioities. Now I can go back through the postings and plan what to see and where to go.
Greg
If you're going to be staying anywhere near Bandon, be sure to check out the list Nancy posted for those going to the Oregon Gathering: Attractions & Things to Do Around Bandon
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote