Oregon Trip - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-02-2008, 11:51 PM   #1
Member
 
Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Posts: 45
My wife and I will be heading down the west coast to the southern tip of Oregon, starting in Canada. Now I know that there are a lot of people who have travelled this route. What I am wondering about is the availability of sites along the way. Should we be calling ahead and making reservations? What about private campgrounds vrs. Park Campgrounds.

Should we hurry through Washington? I have heard that the call of Oregon often causes people to miss interesting parts in Washington.

Could you also suggest what you found to be particularly spectacular, be it the most beautiful spot for a picture, a pitcher of beer or some good live music.

Any help and suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

We will be starting in the middle of July.

Cheers,

Greg
__________________

__________________
Greg Conly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:18 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Posts: 1,125
Greg
there are lots of places to see in WA but dont know what route you are planning to take. I would look at differnet site in WA where you might like to go to. Along the coast there isnt alot but up on the northern there is Peninsual the Rain Forest up near Quanalt.... and around the loop. here is a site you might be interested in looking. If your headed south you might find other stops along the way...
Most campgrounds will be full in July unless you can get reservations... I dont think they officially start till next week... I have no idea what private campgrounds offer. I have never taken a road trip with the trailer..
state parks: http://www.stateparks.com/wa.html look also for KOA
or other campgrounds if you belong to Sams club etc..

Official site of Wa state
http://www.experiencewa.com/v5/home/default.aspx

hope this helps
__________________

__________________
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 11:36 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Posts: 229
We just returned from a trip on the Oregon coast following the Northern Oregon Gathering. there is lots of camping opportunities but I suspect that they will be busy in the summer time. I noted in one state park that all of the sites with utilities were booked for this weekend. We were there mid week. The oregon state parks were wonderful and comfortable. If you want more details of our trip I can post more.
__________________
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 12:18 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Rick B's Avatar
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 153
Quote:
We just returned from a trip on the Oregon coast following the Northern Oregon Gathering. there is lots of camping opportunities but I suspect that they will be busy in the summer time. I noted in one state park that all of the sites with utilities were booked for this weekend. We were there mid week. The oregon state parks were wonderful and comfortable. If you want more details of our trip I can post more.
I second Kent's comments. We recently spent much of two weeks in Oregon, along the coast from Astoria to Lincoln City then inland to Bend, then up Highway 97 back to Canada. We preferred Oregon State Parks to those of Washington, largely because of the semi-serviced sites (had hydro during the cold weather), and inequitable price in similar campsites WA to OR ($17 in OR to $26 in WA).
__________________
Rick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:37 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
Posts: 1,125
My 2 cents here again...... I have to say yes Oregon has much prettier beaches than WA... but we do have alot of beautiful places to visit like i said up on the Northern Peninsula, but that probably isnt your direction.... You just have to seek out and find what you would like to see and what route you go...

I would also try 'mid week" at the state campgrounds..I am out of luck for the weekends and those are my days off! I can only hope there is some kind of opening to get a short trip in now and then.... or I will have to wait till Sept after Labor Day.
__________________
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 01:13 PM   #6
Member
 
Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Posts: 45
I would really like to hear more details of your trip. As I mentioned earlier it is easier when one follows in anothers footprints (Tiretracks). Thanks for offering.

Quote:
We just returned from a trip on the Oregon coast following the Northern Oregon Gathering. there is lots of camping opportunities but I suspect that they will be busy in the summer time. I noted in one state park that all of the sites with utilities were booked for this weekend. We were there mid week. The oregon state parks were wonderful and comfortable. If you want more details of our trip I can post more.
__________________
Greg Conly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 01:16 PM   #7
Member
 
Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Posts: 45
Ya what is with those darned tourists filling up those sites?

Quote:
My 2 cents here again...... I have to say yes Oregon has much prettier beaches than WA... but we do have alot of beautiful places to visit like i said up on the Northern Peninsula, but that probably isnt your direction.... You just have to seek out and find what you would like to see and what route you go...

I would also try 'mid week" at the state campgrounds..I am out of luck for the weekends and those are my days off! I can only hope there is some kind of opening to get a short trip in now and then.... or I will have to wait till Sept after Labor Day.
__________________
Greg Conly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:07 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Doug Mager's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Posts: 2,536
Registry
Greg, IMHO...the most scenic parts of the WA coast are around Ocean Shores/Long Beach penn. We do that trip at least once every year but tend to head to the coast on highway #20 west. Pick this up south of Bellingham WA on the map. You could even pick up 20 from the eastern side of WA and follow it along. Some VERY pretty (no oceanatic) views are along that route. We head to the south western corner of WA and cross over in\to OR right at the coast (4 mile long bridge) into Astoria. Oregon state parks are nicer than WA's as a rule but reservations MUST be made now, so ya best pre-plan your your route and call ahead, there's toll free #'s around for KOA's and state parks. Best to try to deal direct with the park where you want to be staying at (IF possible). KOA's are another option (and OUR preferance too) and as a rule are more $$/night but most are better equipped for what ever you might need. Stay along hwy 101 and 1 if ya get into Calif.
__________________
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:35 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Posts: 229
The Northern oregon gathering was held at Champoeg state Park which was about 25 miles south of Portland , just off I-5 near Newburg. We had travelled south from B.C. Okanagan via 97 south then we travelled in Washington, 97 south to Brewster, then east to 17 south , to Ephrata, #283, to I-90, west to I -82 to Yakima and Toppenish, #97 to Goldendale,I-84 to 205 south around Portland to I-5. It took us all day to make this trip and found Champoeg in the dark.
From Champoeg we travelled to the Oregon coast via #18 and spent the night at Umpqua Lighthouse. We had checked out Beverly Beach state park and it was too early in the day to stop but it looks very nice, construction on a bride at the entrance area. Jessie Honeyman also looked nice but the only loop open was a loop being used by the ATV users until May 1 st. and we thought we wanted a quieter stay. Umpqua had a lovely little trail around a small lake but truly enjoyed the view at the light house. Lots of treees which would be appreciated in the summer. We went onto Bandan and Bullards Beach where we dropped the trailer and continued the tour on to Brookinngs and made the trip back. Went back up the coast and spent a night at Cape Lookout and thoroughly enjoyed the Three Capes scenic route. It was a great quiet stay to just walk to the beach and listen and watch the breakers crashing on the beach, continued up to Asotia and toured Fort Stevens which is campground city. over 5oo sites. Huge. Went on along the gorge to I82 and decided against two campgrounds , because it was still early and right beside the train tracks. Ainsworth and Viento have access going East on I-82. Lovely parks. We stayed at Columbia Hills on the Washington side. Not as nice as the oregon parks but interesting site with its connection to Lewis and Clark expedition.
Stayed north of Wenatchee on #97 at Lincoln Rock state park , Daroga would have been just as nice and B B park near Chelan. There is a big state park on Lake Chelan which is a big tourist area which we chose to by-pass.

Staying on 97 was a little longer than the 17 south route but I am glad we did both.

On the Oregon coast there were forest service sites as well as state parks.
__________________
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:40 AM   #10
Member
 
Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Posts: 45
Thank you for the input. I went to the AMA today and got maps and a camping guide. There are so many options for camping it is almost mind numbing. When you head down 20 do you stay on it all the way taking the ferry at Port Townsend? What happens to #20 after that, I can't see it on the Google map, do you get on the 101 at that point. How long does it take you to hit Astoria?

Do you have any favorite places that you stop at. If I knew a few places I could start to develop a time line. I have been told that Cannon Beach is a good place and Fort Stevens. Thank you Doug, I really appreciate your input.

Greg


Quote:
Greg, IMHO...the most scenic parts of the WA coast are around Ocean Shores/Long Beach penn. We do that trip at least once every year but tend to head to the coast on highway #20 west. Pick this up south of Bellingham WA on the map. You could even pick up 20 from the eastern side of WA and follow it along. Some VERY pretty (no oceanatic) views are along that route. We head to the south western corner of WA and cross over in\to OR right at the coast (4 mile long bridge) into Astoria. Oregon state parks are nicer than WA's as a rule but reservations MUST be made now, so ya best pre-plan your your route and call ahead, there's toll free #'s around for KOA's and state parks. Best to try to deal direct with the park where you want to be staying at (IF possible). KOA's are another option (and OUR preferance too) and as a rule are more $/night but most are better equipped for what ever you might need. Stay along hwy 101 and 1 if ya get into Calif.
__________________
Greg Conly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 12:52 AM   #11
Member
 
Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Posts: 45
Kent,

Thank you for your suggestions. When we head home we will go up 97, I think. My sister lives in Kelowna and we will probably swing by to say hello to her. If I use Doug's suggestions for going down and your route coming back we have the trip just about covered. All we have to do now is plan our stops along the way.

Are there big differences between state parks and forestry reserves?

It sounds like you had a fantastic trip.

I have to confess that I have cut and pasted the information about your trip into a word document so I can take out my big map and trace the route. This is very strange for me because I ususally just get up and go.

Thank you again for sharing so generously.

Greg


Quote:
The Northern oregon gathering was held at Champoeg state Park which was about 25 miles south of Portland , just off I-5 near Newburg. We had travelled south from B.C. Okanagan via 97 south then we travelled in Washington, 97 south to Brewster, then east to 17 south , to Ephrata, #283, to I-90, west to I -82 to Yakima and Toppenish, #97 to Goldendale,I-84 to 205 south around Portland to I-5. It took us all day to make this trip and found Champoeg in the dark.
From Champoeg we travelled to the Oregon coast via #18 and spent the night at Umpqua Lighthouse. We had checked out Beverly Beach state park and it was too early in the day to stop but it looks very nice, construction on a bride at the entrance area. Jessie Honeyman also looked nice but the only loop open was a loop being used by the ATV users until May 1 st. and we thought we wanted a quieter stay. Umpqua had a lovely little trail around a small lake but truly enjoyed the view at the light house. Lots of treees which would be appreciated in the summer. We went onto Bandan and Bullards Beach where we dropped the trailer and continued the tour on to Brookinngs and made the trip back. Went back up the coast and spent a night at Cape Lookout and thoroughly enjoyed the Three Capes scenic route. It was a great quiet stay to just walk to the beach and listen and watch the breakers crashing on the beach, continued up to Asotia and toured Fort Stevens which is campground city. over 5oo sites. Huge. Went on along the gorge to I82 and decided against two campgrounds , because it was still early and right beside the train tracks. Ainsworth and Viento have access going East on I-82. Lovely parks. We stayed at Columbia Hills on the Washington side. Not as nice as the oregon parks but interesting site with its connection to Lewis and Clark expedition.
Stayed north of Wenatchee on #97 at Lincoln Rock state park , Daroga would have been just as nice and B B park near Chelan. There is a big state park on Lake Chelan which is a big tourist area which we chose to by-pass.

Staying on 97 was a little longer than the 17 south route but I am glad we did both.

On the Oregon coast there were forest service sites as well as state parks.
__________________
Greg Conly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:49 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Byron Kinnaman's Avatar
 
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Posts: 6,312
Registry
Note that not a single Oregonian has responded with information about Oregon's coast and camping. I wonder why?
__________________
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:38 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Jeanne and Steve's Avatar
 
Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Posts: 454
Registry
Hi Greg,

We love camping in quieter areas with rugged coastlines and lots of interesting hiking nearby. One of our favorites is Cape Disappointment State Park in Washington. There is a big difference in the quality of sites in the campground though. Our favorites were in the loops by the beach instead of by the lake, and generally the spots closest to the beach were the nicest. The beach sites are arranged in a circular pattern, which means that you don't have a lot of privacy, but it was OK. Cape Lookout is truly gorgeous and if you enjoy history their Interpretive Center is quite interesting (but be prepared to pay admission to it).

In Oregon we particularly love Cape Lookout and Harris Beach State Parks. Unfortunately many of the Harris Beach campsites are close to hwy 101, and in those sites you'll get a lot of road noise. Boardman State Park (just north of Harris Beach) is filled with spectacular scenery with many hiking trails, and is one of our favorite places.

The Cape Perpetua Scenic Area (south of Yachats on the central coast) also has great hiking available, both along the coast and inland in old growth forests. Both areas are really lovely and worth taking the time to explore. There is a National Forest campground there but I haven't seen it.

Personally, I would NOT go camping along the Oregon coast in the summer without reservations. Some sites in our State Parks are put aside for first-come first-served campers, but you'd have to arrive very early to get them, and it would be chancy at best.

It might be helpful to check out this old post which asked a very similar question about the Oregon coastline.

Best wishes!
Jeanne
__________________
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:03 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Jeanne and Steve's Avatar
 
Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Posts: 454
Registry
I forgot to mention that Cape Arago, Shore Acres, and Sunset Bay State Parks (just south of Charleston) are also especially lovely. Cape Arago is a great spot for watching marine mammals and all three parks have great trails along a rugged coastline with lovely little beaches. Between Sunset Bay and Charleston is Bastendorf Beach which is perfect for a longer beach walk. Camping is available at Sunset Bay and also at a private and county campground at Bastendorf Beach.

Jeanne
__________________

__________________
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1971 Avco 25' in Oregon City, Oregon Michele B Referrals: Molded Fiberglass Trailers 0 05-28-2010 04:23 AM
Casita Trip to the Oregon Coast for August Anne3358 Camping, Campout Reports 10 07-10-2009 09:48 AM
oregon, wash. trip planning, ready to roll potteralice General Chat 1 08-07-2006 12:48 AM
Trip Report, Florida to Oregon Bill MacDermod Camping, Campout Reports 1 07-04-2006 11:29 PM
Gina D.'s Trip to Portland, Oregon Donna D. Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive) 21 12-23-2005 08:40 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.