our first scamping trip - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2014, 01:27 PM   #1

Name: Joy
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
our first scamping trip

We got back last night from the Indiana Dunes. Overall, we had a fabulous weekend. Next time we go "scamping" I hope we have much better weather-It was only 40 degrees, but our family enjoyed it.
We even saw a 16 ft scamp at the same campground, but nobody was there to talk to
Our door only flew open once while traveling, so we pulled over and attached bungee cords from the inside.
I hope we can fix this, and our Scamp brake lights.

I'll post pics this week of our new remodeled interior.
motherofsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:46 PM   #2

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Glad your voyage went well. Looking forward to photos . Do you have a propane heater to keep warm?
Old 04-28-2014, 03:26 PM   #3

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Strike plate on the frame has a little bit of adjustment room to get more "bite" from the bolt. Locking the door can help too. But the best suggestion I heard was to take the outer handle off, slide the square shaft out by pulling on the outside handle, then slide shaft back in so the outside handle points down rather than sideways.

Going over bumps gravity pulls down on the handle, which happens to be the same direction it has to be turned to open. Rotate the square shaft so that handle points down will help prevent a bump from "pulling on the handle" for you.

Even when locked there is some movement of the bolt when the handle is turned, just not typically enough to unlatch, reduce the gravity effect on the handle may be enough to solve the problem. Good place to start since it does not typically cost anything.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 04:40 PM   #4

Name: kevin
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Colorado
Good idea on the handle. I have learned to always lock the door and have not had a problem since. It would be nice to not have to lock it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Strike plate on the frame has a little bit of adjustment room to get more "bite" from the bolt. Locking the door can help too. But the best suggestion I heard was to take the outer handle off, slide the square shaft out by pulling on the outside handle, then slide shaft back in so the outside handle points down rather than sideways.

Going over bumps gravity pulls down on the handle, which happens to be the same direction it has to be turned to open. Rotate the square shaft so that handle points down will help prevent a bump from "pulling on the handle" for you.

Even when locked there is some movement of the bolt when the handle is turned, just not typically enough to unlatch, reduce the gravity effect on the handle may be enough to solve the problem. Good place to start since it does not typically cost anything.
KevinScamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:38 PM   #5

Trailer: Tote N Tarry
After you attached bungee cords from the "inside", how did you get out of the trailer, through the window or air vent?? I'm sure you didn't see the owners of the 16 footer, because once it got down to 40 they probably drove to the nearest heated motel/hotel for the night. Great idea about the door lever RogerDat, I added it to next weekend's to do list!
Filbert V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:18 PM   #6

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Wish I could take credit for the inspiration, but in my case it's just remembering someone else's good idea. If I could remember who it was I could give them credit but for now I'll have to settle for remembering where I put my cup of coffee.... around here someplace ;-)
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:23 PM   #7

Illinois
RogerDat! Brilliant idea indeed! I will make sure to tell my husband about that one.

KEvinScamps- we have the key to the Scamp, but for some reason it doesn't lock..?

Filbert V- we attached the bungee cords from the metal spiral posts, (the ones that hold up the cabinet next to the sink)to the door handle. It would still open slightly,if it happened to open again, that just stopped it from flying all of the way open.

Thanks everyone.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:35 PM   #8

Illinois
best birthday ever

This is me on my 40th Birthday with my FAVORITE B-DAY PRESENT EVER, my 1977 SCAMP!!!
and my favorite man, (who is also a 1977-hah!) making tin foil meals for the fam.
Attached Thumbnails
scamp april 2014 maiden voyage 005.jpg   scamp april 2014 maiden voyage 013.jpg  

Old 04-30-2014, 09:26 AM   #9

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
We had this thread on the subject of Scamp door latch:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-57750.html
I am still using my string method, but do like the reversed handle idea.
Hope this helps.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp