Our SoCal Safari Starts! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2006, 07:35 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft 1973
The tug is packed (all rear rows of seats removed), the tiny leak in the rear window finally sealed (roof patch on each SS screw head), new 3000btu Cat heater packed for those chilly Big Bend nights , and reams and reams of maps/tour books/ printouts from FGRV friends(Thanks,eggers!)...now if the weather guy is right, Thursday will be the start of our 10,000 mile Ontario Canada to California loop. We' ve booked every place bookable right up to Vegas, after that we will take our chances as we head back to the Texas gulf coast for the circuitous route home. So if you see our little sage green 73 Trill ,The Road Toad, honk, wave, or if you're at a CG- drop by for a Tim Horton's coffee. We won't likely post on our two month journey, but we'll check our email and this site if we can access the web at a friendly library. Tally-ho.... Alistair
Alistair Camelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 08:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Have a very safe trip and an absolutely wonderful time! Please do check in when you can and tell us about your travels. Some of us will have to live vicariously And hopefully you'll have some pictures to share when you can too
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:04 AM   #3
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
An adventure begins! I LOVE adventures.

Have fun.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 01:47 PM   #4

Howdy eggers...our first check-in on our SoCal safari. Left Windsor in the snow on Super Bowl Sunday...froze in Lexington, warmed up in Memphis...Did Graceland, Sun Records (I durn near cried in that place! GREAT tour and trip back in time to Rock,s beginning). Galveston SP- pretty and Windy! Goose Island SP in Texas' birding trail is beautiful (they just installed Satellite WiFi in the CG. Headin south to Mustang Is SP and then Brownswille area befor Big Bend. Lots of Scamps and Casitas but no FGRV posters! Checkin' in at the next library...TTFN fellow eggers...Alistair
Old 02-15-2006, 09:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 2000 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe ('Millenium Eggloo')
Good to hear you folks finally got out of the snow and cold. You left here at just about the right time because winter came back!!!! Sent you a PM re Emily, Raymond & Monique have booked in again this year (Oh that sparkling!!!!)

Enjoy the trip and keep us posted, bring back lots of photos, If you have them on CD I can set the projector to show them on the side of the trailer while you sing and strum the narrative to go with them by the fireside at Emily.
Charlie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 09:20 AM   #6

Trailer: 81 Trillium 5500 (Pearl)
Great to hear that the trip is going well. I have been trying to get to Graceland but Grumpy doesn't want to go. He even tried to tell me that Elvis was dead. What does he know anyway?

Charlie, You're breaking my heart. We had figured that we wouldn't be able to make it to Emily this year BUT if Al's singing and Raymond's producing the sparkling I may not be able to miss it.
Kathy & Doug Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 12:04 PM   #7

Hi folks... week four of the Ontario to SoCal Safari and we've emerged from Big Bend - four days of an incredible camping experience at Chisos basin! Javelinas, Deer, Mountains! I've used up all my superlatives in this park.WOW!
After three weeks of cold and wet along the Gulf coast we're finally enjoying blue skies and warmth. Heading to Carlsbad caverns, New Mexico and Arizona. Life in a 13 footer is great and the "house tours" of The Road Toad are always being requested.Stay happy...will check in at the next library> Alistair

Moderator's note: Alistair's recent posts merged with his original topic.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:04 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Way to go! I need to learn to slow down a little when I travel cross-country.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:26 PM   #9

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Isn't that place incredible? Did you take the trail from the campground down to the Window? We had a little cowhorn buck accompanying us for about half of that hike. Can't remember the last time we could look up into a night sky and not see the blinking lights of a dozen planes.

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:16 PM   #10

Thanks Mary F for tidying up my occasional postings. Howdy Doug & Kathy and Charlie C...if my navigator hasn't killed me after this tour of San Diego (where do these drivers get their love of speed???), then we'll have to give Emily a shot. Got some new travels songs written :-). Got a nice visit from Frederick Simson and some advice for the area...thanks Fred. A real kick meeting someone from the website! We bus toured the city, walked over to Tijuana (Mas ceveza, por favor), and walked around Old Town. Having a blast at this halfway point of our "safari". We're off to South Carlsbad Beach SP tomorrow for five days ...Gina if you're feeling better, give us a call and maybe we can connect too. Then it's Vegas and the Canyon next week. Hasta la manyana amigos...Alistair and Inge in the Road Toad
Old 03-10-2006, 04:45 PM   #11

Registry
Talking

Quote:
(where do these drivers get their love of speed???)
Alistair and Inge in the Road Toad
Trying to drive between their 2nd and 3rd Jobs (without having their pay docked for being late) so they can afford the million dollar mortgage. Just watch out for the multitaskers behind the wheel!
Old 03-10-2006, 07:04 PM   #12

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
It's a California Thang... "I am faster than you... nee ner nee ner nee ner"

Thanks, I am feeling better, and I am sorry I was just a little too far north in San Diego rush hour to turn around when I spoke with Fred on his way to see you.

Stay down there a bit, there is a big snow storm this way and you certainly would have a bit of trouble getting thru this weekend.

It's a good thing for me, forcing me to stay put for a few days and get some rest.

You will be thru NEXT weekend?

Fred, maybe move the camp out to then? Did they see Palm Springs?
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 01:07 AM   #13

Registry
Talking

Alistair told me that he was leaving Chula Vista today (Saturday) and going to San Elijo State Beach for the weekend. He's staying on the coast for now.

I'm in Palm Springs. There was hail in Beaumont on the way out here. Otherwise, just rain as I stayed at 1000 foot elevation or below.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:47 AM   #14

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Getting out for Beumont this weekend would have been a bit challenging.

Getting back HOME would have been even MORE challenging.
Click image for larger version

Name:	burroice.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	1695

Hopefully, the coast was a bit more fun for them!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 02:57 PM   #15

Hi Guys...wow Gina, we get that white stuff back home! Didn't want it here! Scooped up a handful of hail for a photo shoot on the 13th in Carlsbad, but am now basking in the sun on the bluffs of San Elijo SP... Beautiful! Off to Barstow on the 16th (KOA) and then to Circus Circus Koa in Vegas for two nites and then the Canyon. After that??? three weeks of wandering and following the sun (I Hope!!) befor returning to the frozen North in April. TTFN...Alistair
Old 03-15-2006, 06:46 AM   #16

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Roger L.
Please consider spending a couple days in Death Valley National Park before heading to "The Circus". It'll be like travelling from one planet to another
RoRo
Attached Thumbnails
Death_Valley_sunset.JPG  
Roger L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 12:22 PM   #17

Hi eggers...the Safari continues. Three days in Vegas in a BIG parking lot at Circus Circus...toured the strip on those Deuce double deckers, then over the mountains to Calico Ghost Town campground. Marvellous stop! Real mines and authentic setting. Drove Route 66 for a bit. Grand Canyon was a bust...six inches of snow and cooooold! Had the cube electric AND the catalytic 3000 btu heaters and survived the nite! South then...and Lost Dutchman SP near Phoenix. Beautiful! Mountains, saguaros, coyotes howling and the Apache trail out to Tortilla Flats a superb side trip. Now ensconced in Catalina SP near Tucson...also a great camp. Off to Patagonia Lake SP for the next two days and time to head for San Antonio TX, and then Canada by the April 6th scheduled end of our Safari. Will post then. So far so good (other than losing the "Toad's" licence plate...or perhaps it was a Vegas souvenir for someone...) We're at the 7000 mile mark and the navigator and me are still on speaking terms. As a postscript...we will spend our 42nd wedding anniversary in Arizona on the 28th of this month!
Happy Trails fellow campers...Alistair
Old 03-25-2006, 12:41 PM   #18

Registry
Talking

Quote:
We're at the 7000 mile mark and the navigator and me are still on speaking terms.
I think I know just what you mean!
Old 03-29-2006, 12:25 PM   #19

You got it,Fred. But we celebrated year 42 in Nogales at LaRoca restaurant...perfect. Patagonia SP is a bird watchers' paradise, and a pretty place to park an egg. We extended our stopover for two more days and bought some more travel insurance to allow us to return to Canada a week later...on the 12 of April.Next- San Antonio and down to the Gulf SP's in TX. Then we hope to cross over to the Florida panhandle for a last hurrah before going home. It's warm here and we're lovin' it! TTFN...Alistair
Old 03-30-2006, 09:35 AM   #20

Trailer: 1992 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I'm hoping for safe travels home for you two. Sure have enjoyed sharing your adventures!

Nancy
Nancy in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote