Over and out - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-01-2008, 09:11 PM   #1

Name: Per
Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft Widebody towed by Touareg TDI
Oregon
Registry
I suppose many in FGRV land have experienced this juncture in their lives, and now I guess it is our turn. My wife Kathy just started her last shift in the hospital baby factory this evening. Fitting, I suppose, since this is Labor (and Delivery) Day.

This is the camping celebration she has asked for and it is the one she will get (and deserves). Friday morning we will saddle up "Donkey-O.T." and head east. Washington, on to N.D, to Pennsylvania, the Adirondacs, New England, Lancaster County, Washington DC area, Blue Ridge Parkway, heading west to Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, over to Death Valley (we may stay the winter ), up 395 and home, if we feel like it. This could take at least 6 weeks or more. To be on the safe side we have budgeted for gas at $7.

First time without a deadline, and we'll visit family and friends along the way, and I intend to take pictures just short of the camera threatening to smoke. To my chagrin I have been persuaded to bring along a laptop, so if I can figure out the WiFi thing we'll still keep up with the forum.

We did a similar length trip back about five years ago and Kathy declared it was the best traveling she had ever done, so if everything hangs together we expect to have a great time.

As before I will be looking for the most humongous bulgemobile to park next to so I can get one of those "last laugh" type pictures and feel even more smug than the last time.

I plan not to post 39 pictures of gorgeous sunsets.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:19 PM   #2

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Have a GREAT trip Per and Kathy!!!

I look forward to your pictures (even if there's 39 sunset ones!)

Old 09-01-2008, 10:52 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Sounds great!

Go with the flow, head to the next place "when you feel like it" and so forth.

Our best trip was seven weeks long, a few years back, when we went through a big change. We remember it fondly.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:33 AM   #4

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Per & Kathy,
Congratulations on your retirement, Kathy. The trip will be better even than you've imagined!
Ann & I did that kind of trip earlier this year. 3700 miles and 6 weeks! It's a totally different and rather strange way to travel. After a lifetime of responding to the prodding of schedule deadlines, it was wonderful to have the freedom to spend as much time as we wanted to get the lighting just right for a roadside photo or investigate a side road because "I wonder what is over there", or isn't this park nice--let's spend another day here.
It may be a bit awkward for friends and relatives when you can't plan any more closely than sometime around the week of..." but I think envy pretty much squelched possible complaints because the concerns (if any) were never voiced.
We've spent a week each of the last 2 years exploring the 395. The Manzanar Museum and the museum in Independence were very interesting. If you enjoy fishing, that stretch of hwy may take you a loooong time to traverse.
The "icing on the cake" for us, was the fact that absolutely nothing went wrong on that trip. Can you imagine such an adventure?
The gas budget finally brought us home a couple of weeks earlier than we'd hoped, but the wildfires in western Calif. prevented us from taking that route anyway.
We were only back a couple of weeks and had to relieve our itchy feet by visiting Gina at the campground where she is working on week-ends.

May the Lord bless you with a wonderful trip,
Kurt & Ann K.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:25 AM   #5

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Kathy congratulations on the end-of-work time! How wonderful. Keep Per busy with plenty of "Honey Do's" to keep him out of your hair. Oh wait, he already does those things on the Burro!

Enjoy your first trip out, make lots of memories and new friends along the way. If you can't connect but once in a while here on FiberglassRV, we'll leave the light on for you
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:43 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hooray and congratulations on "turning the page" to new adventures!

"It's a totally different and rather strange way to travel. After a lifetime of responding to the prodding of schedule deadlines, it was wonderful to have the freedom to spend as much time as we wanted to get the lighting just right for a roadside photo or investigate a side road because "I wonder what is over there", or isn't this park nice--let's spend another day here."

We agree with Kurt - you will LOVE the psychic transition from "vacation" travel to retirement exploring! We have begun our 3rd year of NOT being restricted by other schedules and have not looked back! We, too, look forward to reading about your travels and seeing LOTS of pics (yeah, sunsets included)

Wishing you safe travels and many, many wonderful memories, and we look forward to meeting you on the road along the way. Hugs, Leslie 'n Dave
Old 09-08-2008, 08:07 PM   #7

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Kathy, congrats on your retirement!

Per, now WHAT are you gunna do with HER under foot 24/7??

Sept 1st was also my retirement date and this last Saturday I rec'd my first BLISTER!!
NO, not on my butt from sittin 'round, but on my hand from holding on to hand tools TIGHTER than I have had to in the past!!

BEST WISHES and hope you can NOW find the time to come north for one of our semi-anual egg meets!!!!!
Old 09-09-2008, 08:06 PM   #8

Oregon
Registry
Thanks a lot for all the nice comments. I'm a bit pressed for time at the moment, but I'm starting to get the hang of this WiFi thing so I hope to respond soon in a more coherent manner, pictures included.

We are at a park in western North Dakota at the moment, but one of the funnier things we saw along the road today in Montana was a big lumbering Golden Retriever jogging calmly along the shoulder, followed by a big lumbering SUV following about 20 feet behind at the exact same pace.
I guess here in the wide open spaces they do it their way. Am I missing something here?
Old 09-09-2008, 11:36 PM   #9

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Per,
That's called "walking" the dog---hasn't Maja caught on yet? Of course if you want to avoid being big and lumbering yourself the traditional method may be a bit healthier

Kurt & Ann K.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:33 PM   #10

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
I suppose many in FGRV land have experienced this juncture in their lives, and now I guess it is our turn. My wife Kathy just started her last shift in the hospital baby factory this evening. Fitting, I suppose, since this is Labor (and Delivery) Day.

This is the camping celebration she has asked for and it is the one she will get (and deserves). Friday morning we will saddle up "Donkey-O.T." and head east. Washington, on to N.D, to Pennsylvania, the Adirondacs, New England, Lancaster County, Washington DC area, Blue Ridge Parkway, heading west to Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, over to Death Valley (we may stay the winter ), up 395 and home, [b]if we feel like it. This could take at least 6 weeks or more. To be on the safe side we have budgeted for gas at $7.

First time without a deadline, and we'll visit family and friends along the way, and I intend to take pictures just short of the camera threatening to smoke. To my chagrin I have been persuaded to bring along a laptop, so if I can figure out the WiFi thing we'll still keep up with the forum.

We did a similar length trip back about five years ago and Kathy declared it was the best traveling she had ever done, so if everything hangs together we expect to have a great time.

As before I will be looking for the most humongous bulgemobile to park next to so I can get one of those "last laugh" type pictures and feel even more smug than the last time.

I plan not to post 39 pictures of gorgeous sunsets.
Sounds like a great time you have planned. Wish I could do that too! Instead I will toast your good fortune with some Bailey's.

I think you have timed it well to see the famous fall color in New England. Are you going to swing by Niagara Falls?
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:02 PM   #11

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot
Congratulations, Kathy and Per. Wishing you a wonderful and safe trip. We look forward to hearing about your travels and seeing your pics. How wonderful to have the time to travel and stop as you like. Enjoy!

Charlene and Dennis
Old 09-28-2008, 07:15 PM   #12

Oregon
Registry
Thanks for the nice comments. My WiFi training is finally getting somewhere, but those forest campgrounds rarely have connectivity.
Pictures, including those sunset ones, will be coming, but mostly after the trip is finished. We got as far east as Acadia National Park in Maine, watching the breakers with a dose of fog obscuring the far away view.
The remnants of Hurricane Kyle has drenched us for the last two days, but our campground near Brattleboro, Vermont, while damp, is free of rain tonight. Heading down to Lancaster County to see the Amish at work and play, then to the Blue Ridge Parkway.
It seems like every little town in New England has an Ice Cream Shop somewhere in between those architecturally interesting buildings, and we've seen Subway establishments in some pretty interesting old homes.
We took some lesser-used roads in Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine, but the nominally paved roads we found in parts of Maine really took the cake. The old Burro survived, but our old bodies took a beating.
Kathy visited quilting Nirvana today, Keepsake Quilting in Center Harbor, New Hampshire, while I cooled my heels in the Burro reading The Boston Globe. Gotta keep up while I can, because it seems every time we're out of touch for a few days there is another disaster happening. Found out Kyle was the rain culprit but no fresh new disasters had emerged.
Gotta go, but will reappear soon.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:53 PM   #13

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Per,
There's a great campground in Altoona, PA, Wright's Orchard Station Campground. I like clean facilities and have not seen cleaner. Perhaps it is not everyone's choice if you are into nature, as it is in town, but it was central to us touring places where my mother's ancestors were during the American Revolution. I guess it is a distance from Lancaster County though. I tend to think of the Lancaster County as being closer when I do genealogy.

CindyL
Old 10-02-2008, 08:59 AM   #14

Oregon
Registry
We're now at a campground in Intercourse, PA. No jokes, please. It has been fun driving around the little side roads, dodging carriages and horse poop. So far the local Amish seem to be able to handle the tourists and camera fiends with good grace. Don't know if I could do it.

On a tip from our host we drove to a town called Marietta, east of Lancaster, to check out the local architecture. It has been the highlight of the area so far: a significantly large town with an ambiance from a different age entirely. Fabulous place, appears to be out of the tourist loop to some degree but highly recommended.

Picture is from Acadia National Park in Maine. We're enjoying the surf, rain, and fog, not knowing that Kyle was about to hit us and send us scampering (sorry) away from the coast.
Attached Thumbnails
Us_at_Acadia.jpg