Pacific Coast Highway Road trip - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-03-2006, 08:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Andy Earthman
I started a road trip up the PCH. I started in San Clemente. Camped in San Clemente State Beach CG for 2 days. I wanted to see a concert in San Juan Capistrano on Saturday Night so I stayed Friday ands Saturday. It was 20 per night in a Tent sight. No power or water. They do have hot showers for .25 for a few minutes. A few shady types hang out in the park. Homeless druggie looking types but I keep my eyes open and let people know that I'm paying attention. Great views from the bluffs. The CG is not beach side is on the bluffs above with a few spots overlooking the beach. #113 was my spot and it was a good spot. Close but not to close to the restrooms/showers/dish washing area and it backs to a fence and some trees.

Next day brought me up to Huntington Beach. I have a friend that lives there and stayed 3 days for a visit. We ate out on the pier at Ruby's I think was the name of the place. After that I headed out and made it as far as Sana Monica Pier and Venice Beach. I know, I know, that's only about 30 miles or so away. I didn't think I would spend so much time in the area, but it worked out that way and I'm not trying to break any speed records. I camped out on 4th st, not far from the Beach.

Next day brought me not to much farther up the Coast to Oxnard. On the way I drove through Topanga Canyon Canyon and Mulholland Drive and bought some strawberries and a tomato from a Mexican on the side of the Road. I was looking for the infamous Spahn Ranch Movie Ranch. The site of Charles Manson Family for a time. I didn't find it as my map was pretty poor and I didn't have Internet to help me out. I did call my brother and he gave me some directions but I still was unable to find it. Got back on the road and headed for Paradise Cove. That's the site of James Rockford trailer/parking lot during the TV show. I always liked "The Rockford Files" and a buddy of mine told me I had to go there and said he'd buy me lunch if I made the trip. It's a very nice little private Beach area. Cost is $25 to park for the day. Or $3 with restaurant validation. You have to spend $20+ To get validated. It was on OK meal with very poor service. I'm sure the fact that I look kinda like a homeless guy was the cause of that. But no worries here. I ate, enjoyed the sun and headed out toward Oxnard stopping along the way to watch some surfers and the sun go down.

Today brought me not to far again. I stopped to learn about the Channel Islands National Park and ended up spending a few hours reading about the area and saw a short film about the area as well.

Then I went next door to see about Whale watching Boat trips. It was a bit more than I wanted to spend so I decided to move on. Next thing you know I'm calling them up asking if I could camp in the parking lot over night. They said sure, no problem. So I did a U-turn and headed back, got signed up, got the overnight parking pass and dropped the trailer and headed out to The Underground coffee house on Telegraph Rd. http://www.theundergroundventura.com/index.php

About time for dinner.

Perhaps tomorrow I can do a little better than 30 miles or so. Or perhaps not.

Peace
A.

Surfers at Dusk
Malibu, Ca
Attached Thumbnails
Surfers_Dusk.jpg  
Andy Earthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 08:57 PM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Andy,

We stayed at Gaviota State Park a couple weeks ago. It is north of Santa Barbara, CA on PCH.
http://www.beachcalifornia.com/gaviota.html
http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=606
http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=606

The camp host was very nice. Just a couple of factiods. Gaviota means Sea Gull. Gaviota can be a very windy area.

On up further on PCH, in Morro Bay, there is a very little known camp called Morro Stand Beach State Park right on the beach. Grat sunsets.
http://www.slostateparks.com/morro_strand/default.asp
http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=593
http://www.parks.ca.gov/lat_long_map...asp?lvl_id=232
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 09:02 PM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
OH, and if you take Hwy 1 north of Gaviota, CA towards Lompoc (Lom-poke) there is a county park named Jalama Beach (halama). this is where all the ocean wind surfing films are made.

Guess what Jalama means. I really like this camp as well.

http://www.sbparks.org/DOCS/jalama.html
http://www.santabarbara.com/activiti.../jalama_beach/
http://gorp.away.com/gorp/location/ca/la_stars1.htm
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 09:17 PM   #4

I read about that CG a few days ago and read about online. I was going to stay there as well. But I'm ending up staying here to take the Whale watching boat trip in the morning. And well that CG is only a few miles from here. And I'm trying not to spend to much on camping fee's. I've logged just under 6,000 miles so far this trip and that adds to oil changes. I got 2 new tires, had to replace accessory belt as well.

So I weigh things in a strange way sometimes. Campground or boat trip. Scotties Castle in Death Valley or Camp ground. Stuff like that. When its time for a shower....Campground or hotel. It's almost time...

Thanks much for the tips.

Peace
A.

Quote:
OH, and if you take Hwy 1 north of Gaviota, CA towards Lompoc (Lom-poke) there is a county park named Jalama Beach (halama). this is where all the ocean wind surfing films are made.

Guess what Jalama means. I really like this camp as well.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:20 PM   #5

I did end up staying at Jalama last night. I was beet after the whale watching boat trip. But I did get my money's worth. I think it was 3 Ca. Grey Whales and 100's and 100,s of Dolphins. Very cool for me as the only time I've seen these is at aquariums. Don't recall seeing any Ca. Grey Whale before.

This is the best photo I got. Darn thing would not sit still for me.

I did take 250+ photos and will post some as time allows.

Oh and I did have a very tasty Jalama Burger before I pulled out of the CG.

Peace to ya
A.

[quote]
I read about that CG a few days ago and read about online. I was going to stay there as well. But I'm ending up staying here to take the Whale watching boat trip in the morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Whale_Tail.jpg  
Old 03-05-2006, 10:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Andy,
That's a "whale of a (tale) tail!"
Many a picture attempted and many an opportunity missed, you did good
We continue to enjoy your trip through your .
Thanks,
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 12:24 PM   #7

Trailer: Outfitter Caribou 6.5 ft Truck Camper
Andy,

If you really enjoyed the whales, you might consider heading for Baja next year (getting a little late for that now).

The one place we have not gone whale watching in Baja is San Ignacio, but we have gone to Ojo de Liebre (Scammon's Lagoon) by Guererro and further south to Lopez Mateos.

The whales are quite concentrated in Scammon's Lagoon---it was named after a whaler from the United States many years ago. They would block the exit from the lagoon and slaughter the whales who were there for the birthing season.

You can dry camp (outhouse available) right on the Lagoon for just a few dollars, and the boats are not expensive. They try to wait until there are 6 to 8 people ready to go out. They are very protective of the whales, especially the babies, but the whales do come quite close. We have never had the experience of being able to pet one, but often that does happen.

Here is a picture of the camping area taken from standing in the water, and one of a whale.

Have fun
Diane
Attached Thumbnails
i._From_Second_Campsite_at_Laguna_Ojo_de_Liebre_2.JPG   whale.JPG  

jdtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 01:27 PM   #8

That is a great shot as well. We did see one breach the water like the one i n your picture, but I wasnt fast enough to get the shot. It was as I said and as you know a thrill to see. The other places you mention, where are they? US? Mexico?

Quote:
The one place we have not gone whale watching in Baja is San Ignacio, but we have gone to Ojo de Liebre (Scammon's Lagoon) by Guererro and further south to Lopez Mateos.
Have fun
Diane
Old 03-06-2006, 02:06 PM   #9

Trailer: Outfitter Caribou 6.5 ft Truck Camper
Quote:
That is a great shot as well. We did see one breach the water like the one i n your picture, but I wasnt fast enough to get the shot. It was as I said and as you know a thrill to see. The other places you mention, where are they? US? Mexico?
[The one place we have not gone whale watching in Baja is San Ignacio, but we have gone to Ojo de Liebre (Scammon's Lagoon) by Guererro and further south to Lopez Mateos.
Have fun
Diane
They are all in Baja ---- a great place to travel, at the right time of the year!

Diane
jdtrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 06:36 PM   #10

Be careful where ya park in Monterey. I got a ticket for being parked in the RV-Bus Only Parking area. I had to take pictures go downtown get the pictures printed and contest the ticket. I contested and they realized they where wrong is issuing the ticket.

I wonder how many people have paid this ticket and moved on? How much money has the City tricked from the tourists?

This spot is for RV-Bus Only. No truck/trailer combos. Huh..

A.
Attached Thumbnails
Parking_Ticket.jpg  
Old 03-07-2006, 10:47 PM   #11

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
I wonder how many people have paid this ticket and moved on?
I wonder how many meter-maids think trailers aren't real RV's?
Different thread...
Old 03-07-2006, 11:05 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
This spot is for RV-Bus Only. No truck/trailer combos. Huh..

A.
And there's even a picture of your trailer on the sign. Hmmmmm
Old 03-08-2006, 12:01 AM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
"I was looking for the infamous Spahn Ranch Movie Ranch. The site of Charles Manson Family for a time. I didn't find it as my map was pretty poor and I didn't have Internet to help me out. I did call my brother and he gave me some directions but I still was unable to find it."

Hi Andy,

Just read your post about your PCH Road Trip.

As for Spahn's Moive Ranch, it might not be there anymore, but it was on the old Santa Susanna Pass Rd. They may have closed it, or, sold it & built houses... I don't know. It's been a lot of years.

When I lived in Chatsworth, we would go horseback riding there occassionally. The Spahn's owned it, prior to Manson being there. Paula & Jerry Spaun, lived near us, in Encino later on. It was their Grandpa's ranch.

Anyway, it was on the old Santa Susanna Pass Road, WEST of Rocky Peak & Topanga Canyon Blvd. & EAST of Simi Valley. It was the only road that connected the two cities, before the freeway went thru..... If you're on 118, exit South on Topanga Cyn Blvd, & make a right onto Santa Susanna Rd. (It might also be called "Old Pass Rd.")

Spaun's old movie ranch will be on your left, it used to encompass the whole south mountain side. Entrance was like 5 miles up from Topanga, I think. It's curvy, so take it slow! I rode horses up there while Manson was there too.... he used to help the owners with the horses. I remember him as being really small... a weasel, in the body of a human! Too creepy to think about.....

Hope you get to see it, if that's what you really want... it was a nice place, at one time.
State Hwy 118 (Ronald Regan Hwy.) runs parallel to the old road. See MAP X Marks it!

Another place we used to go was to Corriganville Park, in Simi Valley. They made a lot of old western movies there. (Crash Corrigan owned it.) It was on Kuehner Drive.
Attached Images

Elsie G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 11:06 AM   #14

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Hi Andy,

In case you aren't already aware of it, here's an idea for an outing... From Dec - March elephant seals come ashore to breed and have their pups at Ano Nuevo State Reserve, located between Santa Cruz and Half Moon Bay. This time of year the adults have probably left the beach, but you should still be able to see the pups.

Name:   bullinharem.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  19.8 KB

To get access to the area you need to be on a guided tour, and also have to make advance reservations (there is a fee). There are probably spots available on weekdays. If you're interested, here's the website with further info: Ano Nuevo State Reserve

best wishes on your travels!
Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 03:10 PM   #15

I stopped at a place a few miles past big sur. I did see allot of both the males and pups.

Thanks

[quote]
Hi Andy,

In case you aren't already aware of it, here's an idea for an outing... From Dec - March elephant seals come ashore to breed and have their pups at Ano Nuevo State Reserve, located between Santa Cruz and Half Moon Bay. This time of year the adults have probably left the beach, but you should still be able to see the pups.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:52 PM   #16

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Seeing them along the Big Sur coast sounds even better than my suggestion!

This is a reminder to me that things are always changing... 25 years ago Ano Nuevo was the only known mainland haul-out place for the northern elephant seal, and that's how it stayed in my mind (until today!). I've since learned that they've continued to have an incredible population recovery - from near extinction - and now haul-out along Big Sur beaches too. Thanks for the info!

Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 12:31 PM   #17

Did not find San Francisco to be much fun for a frugal traveler. No parking for RVs of any sort that I could find, until after hours. I drove around a little, walked along Pier 39 and fisherman's wharf. I was going to go out to Alcatraz but with no place to park I decided to split. I'm not sure what people find to exciting about SF. The most exciting part for me was seeing the Golden Gate Bridge.....in my rear view mirror as I was heading North on 1. Back to nature, back to the country. I found that the Coast from SF on up to Ft Bragg is more like a playground for the rich. No place to park overnight unless you pay camping.

I saw one en route cg and that was $20 for nothing more than a place to park. Now in down town SF I could get in early and pay $8 for the day. I could take to spots and pay $16 for the day. The only problem with that is that the sign that reads NO RVs or Trailers.

But go a 150+ miles north and a place to park an RV....$20. And you have to be out by 9am. I'm sorry but that's BS. I'll go to jail before I pay $20 to park overnight. Give me a ticket... I will not pay it.

I'll laugh at the first cop that gives me grief over it.

I do love the road and the country and seeing places and things that I've only seen in pictures, movies and TV. I love getting up early and seeing the world as it wakes up and gets started.

Anyway, friends and family.. I'm still alive out here. Movin' on.

Peace
A.
Attached Thumbnails
Light_House_Early.jpg   Palo_Alto___Sea_Cliffs_2.jpg  

Old 03-14-2006, 12:30 PM   #18

Spent the last few days in Redwoods, made it to Oregon and found the campgrounds a little less expensive all the way around. Stayed at Harris Beach CG for my first night in Oregon. Rained pretty much from early afternoon on. I drove up 101 and headed into Salem last night to visit an old co-worker/friend of mine for a couple of weeks.

Next road trip - East toward Mpls,Mn I have to figure out what I want to see on the way.

Any idea's?