Picacho Peak State Park, AZ - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2008, 09:04 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Just spent a weekend camping and hiking at Picacho Peak State Park about 30 miles north of Tucson right off I-10. The weather was fantastic for hiking, had a campfire, watched the stars come out, and even had a few shooting stars thrown in for good measure. I did the entire loop this time leaving from the camper and walking first to the Sunset Point trailhead and from there to the top of the peak and then back down the front side back to the main trailhead, then walked the road back to the Scamp. Covered about 7.5 miles in about 4.5 hours (including time to rest and catch my breath as there is some serious climbing on this hike. It is one of my favorite hikes and places to camp too. If anyone is in the area, I certainly recommend this state park. Campsites are "in season" now with prices of $12 for non electric sites and $20 with electric. The park has great bathrooms and showers too. The visitors center is being reconstructed though and will not be done for a few more months. Here are some pics from my adventure......enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF1613.JPG   DSCF1615.JPG  

DSCF1618.JPG   DSCF1619.JPG  

Picture_010.jpg  
Chris L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 09:07 PM   #2

Registry
And here are a couple shots of the "hairy" part of the hike to the top of the peak. It is certainly a challenging hike/climb!
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF1620.JPG   Picture_019.jpg  

Picture_027.jpg  
Old 12-03-2008, 09:08 PM   #3

Registry
And lastly, a pic of the non hookup campsite at Picacho Peak.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF1623.JPG  
Old 12-03-2008, 09:24 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Does the 20 bucks include breakfast?

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:11 AM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
Chris

Thanks for sharing your photos. I was living in Tucson in the early '70's and did that hike many times. The trail still looks the same, though I'm sure those cables must have had some maintenance. I spent quite a few nights in a tent in that fine little park. It is nice to know that experence is still available.

David
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:27 AM   #6

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
wow chris. i really envy you living down in beautiful AZ!! Being able to camp this time of yr with sun etc......

Hopefully in a couple of yrs if the economy is better I can go live down there... somewhere.. and dont have to live in this land of rain, mold, and gloom..
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:54 PM   #7

Registry
Gina..........no breakfast included for the $20, but at my no hookup, $12 site there was a bowl of toasted "O"s and a banana! I don't know why such a big spread for electric.........in summer the rates are $10 for non and $15 with and it is essential then for running the a/c! Christi, the weather is great now for camping and hiking and it beats storing the camper for several month and no need to winterize either. I have been out in the 115 degree summer, but not quite as enjoyable, but if one gets up early enough, the hikes are still great. Dave, the cables may be original as some were pretty scary looking. Rangers say to wear gloves to protect against the metal frays on the cables. The view from the top is certainly worth the hike too. 'Til the next time, happy campin'!
Old 12-06-2008, 09:33 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Talking

Nice report, I have wanted to stay there for long time, have driven passed it for years on the way to SoCal. We even stayed part of a night when the park was fairly new back in early '70s and stopped to look around on one trip maybe in the late '80s. But never hiked it, didn't know even what was there to do. Neat photos, the "hairy" section does look a little un-nerving.

New Mexico State Parks are still a bargain, it seems. I do not believe there is a rate hike for the seasons on them as well.

DesertHawk
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote