Pine Mountain Observatory Oregon - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2006, 09:42 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Anne and I took about 1:00 pm on Friday heading for Pine Mountain. Another hobby we induldge in is geocaching. A group of geocaches meet at free camp ground that's across the road from the UO Pine Mountain Observatroy.
We arrived about 5 pm. I stepped out the door after getting mostly set up and there was at least 4 people standing there waiting to take a look inside including a some that buldgies. Friday evening was spent giving tours.
After dark we up to observatory and looked at Jupiter. There was a big crowd so we didn't go look through the 24" scope.
Some walking and more tours on Saturday.
On Sunday we headed home. We stopped for lunch a mile or so off the main highway at little restarant. We had to park on the street. As I came around the trailer here comes this guy wearing a tie. I thought he was going to tell me I couldn't park my trailer there. Wrong, he wanted to talk about my trailer. I think we're going to have another Oregonian with a Scamp.

Maybe I'll post a couple pictures this evening.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:09 PM   #2

Registry
Here's the pictures I said I would post.

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

On the over to Pine Mountain we stopped at snow park (restrooms). Just had to take a picture of the Mountian Egg with Mt Washington in background. The trees without needles were burned in a forest fire a couple years ago.

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

A view from the top, or near the top of Pine Mountain. The observatory sits at about 6,000 ft on a peak above the Oregon High Desert. As you can see there isn't a lot of trees around. This is a great place to vist. There's a free campground right at the observatory. Star programs including viewing through the 24" telescope are a hit.

[ATTACH][/ATTACH]

We stopped along the road to take this picture. You just make out some of the Oregon Cascade peaks over the top of the junipers.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:18 AM   #3

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Wow Byron, thanks for posting about this place. I went to their web site http://pmo-sun.uoregon.edu/ and think it would be great to see on our way to the OR gathering.

Site answered my questions about how hot it would be at night and it mentioned the forest service campground. Since they are open to visitors on Friday and Saturday nights and the campground is first come first serve I am a bit nervous about getting there and having nowhere to camp.

We are coming from the north, want to get down to Lassen in No. CA, then the redwoods and then Bandon. We just haven't figured out what road to take south, so we are open to this Hwy 97. We will aready have covered a 1,000 miles of nothing scenery so 97 leave me a bit worried. How much nothing can one look at? I assume 97 is nothing?

Nancy in northern MN.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 03:36 PM   #4

Registry
Nancy,

I wouldn't worry about a place to camp. I doubt it'll be full. If by some chance the campground is full the care taker, he lives at the observatory, will direct you to place you can park your trailer. There's no water or gargabe at the camp ground. There's a pit toilet. It's also about 10 miles of gravel road, lots of washboard.

As for 97, it is on the arid side of the Cascades. Lots of sagebrush, but there's also a few neat things to see. You can stop at the "Lava River Caves" for cool walk. There's the high desert museum. Get off the beaten track by taking the Cascade Lakes Highway out of Bend and return to 97 south of Bend.

It's been too long since I've been south of that on 97 so can't be of much help there.

Hope you have a great trip.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:19 PM   #5

Trailer: Perris Pacer 1979
We stopped along the road to take this picture. You just make out some of the Oregon Cascade peaks over the top of the junipers.
[/quote]

Hello Byron and Ann

Was so great to see you here on the forum. I too, was over at Wickiup and South Twin this past week. Dusty, Dusty, Dusty...is the only word I have to describe it. And the Forestry Dept. was suppose to be working in all 3 parks this last week,and we never seen one person. There was no running water, just out-houses. They were suppose to be working, but we never seen anyone around the whole week in any of the parks. I will never take my little trailer over to that area again. Although, I did miss out on the heat they had in the valley. It's going to take me two weeks to clean it up and get it ready to go to Bullards...and that I'm looking forward to. However, U of O Pine Mt. Observitory sounds nice. Where is it from Bend? I'm afraid in any part of Eastern Oregon, all we're going to find for camping grounds is Forestry Dept...and after this last week, that was a major big disapointment. It felt so good to cross back WEST over the sumit and feel moist air.

Any way, wish I could have seen ann before Bandon & Bullards, but wasn't met to be.
So, will see you in a couple weeks. I'm in 47A, arriving 7/12 and leaving 7/17. Lets make sure we see each other at the beach. I need more instruction on geocashing.

Take care, and nice to see you on line. Chari
Chari Benckendorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 09:19 PM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Hiway 97 has some VERY scenic moments once south pf Klamath Falls. It is all high desert pine forest, and similar to what you would actually see in MY nieghbor hood in So. Cal. Dry, but lots of trees and different types of foliage. The "nothingness" is nothing like you would see in Mojave or out towards eastern Cal. and Nevada. That, is truely NUTHIN!!!!!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote