Pinnacles N. M. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2009, 06:38 AM   #1

Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17 ft ('Beastie')
Registry
Just got back from Pinnacles National Monument, my first time camping there. Spring is starting to spring in Central CA. There were a few wildflowers and the wild lilacs filled the air with perfume. I went on 2 hikes to the top this time (no dog to hold me back) and saw some condors. They apparently feed the condors on the ridge above the campground and 2 telescopes are permanently installed for those who don't have binoculars. It is a great place to go to hike and see wildlife. Everything is leisurely and quiet until the weekend when the folks from the Bay Area arrive. The weather was perfect until Saturday. I left Saturday morning to beat an incoming winter storm. The campground has some sites with electricity and showers are available. There was one faucet, so I had to fill the water tank before I set up. As you can see in the photo, all of the tables and the fire ring are in the center of the circle (communal). DirecTV worked great.

Attached Thumbnails
pinn.jpg  
BobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:19 PM   #2

Registry
Spring in Arnold. This is what happened today.

Attached Thumbnails
spring.jpg  
Old 03-23-2009, 12:08 AM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
I've always been curious about Pinnacles, whenever I drive up 101 and see the signs for the different entrances. So it's nice to get a little firsthand input! hehe Might be a nice place to escape to for a middle of the week getaway sometime...

Joe
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:09 AM   #4

Registry
Joe,

I intended to mention that the campground is on the east side. You get there by taking Hiway 25 south from Hollister, 40 miles or so. RVs are not recommended on the west side, which is approached from the Salinas Valley and Hiway 101. As I approached the Pinnacles on Wednesday a badger crossed the road in front of me, in the afternoon! There were turkeys, as well as black-tail deer and coyotes near the campground. I spotted a bobcat there on a previous visit, also in the afternoon. There are wild pigs nearby, both escaped domestic ones and the truly wild kind. The entire monument is surrounded by a pig fence to keep them out. When I was there in Feb about 40 pigs crossed the road in front of me, including 3 sows with litters of piglets. Nearby vineyard owners shoot the pigs to keep them from damaging the vines and people clamor to get some of the pork. Interesting place. You should go there.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:29 AM   #5

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
Hey Bob,
Yeah, I kind of remember one of the signs saying something about day use only, so I'll have to remember that. It sounds like it's quite remote/isolated/away from everything, and that's a great destination in my book! hehe Thanks for the info, I'll definitely post about it on here if I ever go anytime soon...

Joe
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:08 AM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
We've camped at this quiet spot in the springtime. Too early in the season and it can be pretty darned cold by California standards. Summers can be toasty. Raccoons were VERY active in this campground last time we were there, but otherwise the place was incredibly quiet, and the skies were wonderfully dark. (Great stars!)

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote