Planning Summer Trip Across Canada - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-03-2010, 12:20 AM   #15
Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
We had an amazing, beautiful trip. In fact, we would like to repeat the route, visiting some spots we missed due to limited time, next summer.
Well, the first trip is a really a reconnaissance mission, after all

Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:05 PM   #16
Name: Fred
Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Kootenay's of BC
I believe the BEST drive in BC is as follows
Enter BC on highway 3 through the Crowsnest pass
research and enjoy 3 to Creston.
Then take 3A to the Kootenay Lake ferry and take
a small side trip to Nelson then back up the lake to Kaslo.
31A is about 30 or so miles from Kaslo to New Denver.
My favorite piece of pavement in Canada not only for
the drive (or ride!) but BEAUTIFUL!!.
Get a coffee in New Denver then take 6 up to Nakusp.
From Nakusp down to the ferry at needles and over the
Monashee Pass to Vernon and down to Kelowna. Theres a few
people around here but you'll be through it soon.
Take the 97c(?) connector to Merritt. Then take 8 up to
Spences bridge on Highway 1 and down 1 to Lytton
On to highway12 up to Lillooet and highway99.
This road can be a little rough in places but it's
worth it!!This will take you through Pemberton,
Whistler,Squamish and down to Vancouver,
or up the Shineshine Coast or Vancouver Is.
This will show you how diverse the mountains are.
Keep you on mostly back roads and my
experence is you will meet the best people!
The last time I took this route I was on a motorcycle
(Highly enjoyable!) and took 2 days. But
I didn't stop much, so allow maybe 4d or so.
I am a bit bias as I live just outta Creston.
We went acroos Canada last summer with
our Boler. This is still far and away the best drive

FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:42 AM   #17
Name: Vic
Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft

Just saw your post. It really reminds me of a trip I did in 1978 to the East Coast, down through the US and back through Canada, camping all the way, and avoiding interstates. Having said that, in certain areas it is quite difficult to avoid major highways, the section north of Lake Superior and the inital poke through the Rockies come to mind.

Not only would I buy a Canadian National Parks pass, but I would also look carefully at the Provincial Parks in the various provinces. Many are hidden gems, for example, Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park (Alberta/Saskatchewan) and Manning Provincial Park (BC).

If you plan to travel during the summer, (June 15 - September 15), reservations should be a must along the route for popular stays, and early arrival is a must at those campgrounds not set up for reservations. What we often do is travel during the week (Monday - Friday AM) and settle down somewhere for the weekend to avoid the rush.

Pay special attention to the ferries. Most of my experience is with the BC and Washingston state ferry systems. Summer line-ups can be very lengthy without reservations. They require accurate measurements of your rig, length and height. When we took the ferry to the Queen Charlottes, I carefully checked my rig, since I would be payning a significant premium if I were overheight. I checked, and felt that I was two inches under the maximum for regulat fare. They questioned me as I checked in and I assured them I was under height. They said, OK, it's your truck, and on I went. As we entered the vessel I couldn't see what all the fuss was, lots of headroom. We were along one side of the vessel. As we were making our way out, they dropped an upper deck that I had not seen to load a second level of cars. My clearance was the two inches I stated, but was I ever glad I had carefully measured in my driveway at home!

Here are a few links: Canadian National Park System Canadian Provincial Parks Alberta PP reservations BC Ferries Canadian Automobile Association, affiliated with AAA Lex & Rita Meuldijk visited the US and Canada last year trailering with their Biod. They posted a great blog, complete with photos. Really worth a look for ideas.

Drop me a line if I can help with anything.

Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:20 PM   #18
Trailer: 1985 19 ft Scamp
been doing some research on the web and crown lands seem like a good spot to camp. anyone know how to get info and maps of thease places? thanks again tom
thomas kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:54 AM   #19
Trailer: Trillium
I'm planning a summer trip across Canada and would like any information on where to stay what to see what to avoid. We sort of like off the beaten path kind of places we avoid interstates and take back roads. Are there any good books on Canadian campgrounds?
The gov't provincial park websites are very good with lots of photos and info, we prefer the gov't campgrounds as they are usually more private, nicer spots etc. For BC it's at - with the exception of 2 parks, most have about 30% that are first come first serve spots.
We have a dog eared book we use for our travels, it's out of print and a bit outdated, but you can still get it through amazon etc: it's called 'The Big New Travel BC Guide'
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:25 PM   #20
Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
We too are planning a trip across Canada in June and early July. At least from Ontario as far as Jasper National Park. We've done this a couple of times before and look forward to doing it again. We'll take the scenic route on No 17 hwy around Lake Superior and then through the trees to Manitoba. Hwy 1 as far as Portage La Prarie and then follow the Yellowhead Hwy towards Edmonton. Then a bit of camping and sightseeing in the Mountians with family from Alberta.
Each of the Prarie Provinces has a Pioneer Villiage museum that you might like to check out. There are some Mounted Police Forts to look for as well. If you stay on Canada's Hwy One, look for a couple of small auto museumsalong the way and Cyprus Hills offers some very nice camping. It's the highest point East of the Rockies. Drumheller and Dinosaur park, in Alberta should be a must see. If you are a car buff don't miss the museum at Wetaskiwin.
Hope BC has some great chainsaw carving [That's where the first Rocky film was made] and there's a very nice Gardens at Chiliwack. Sorry you left it so late, they had a nice little party in Vancouver last week.
Maybe we'll see you on the road. Good tripping.

james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:50 AM   #21
Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
You were asking about camping on crown lands. I would think that you will need to check with each province about their policies. Land management is provincial jurisdiction , not federal. In B.c. foresty campgrounds are less improved camping spots than provincial parks and there is now a fee but you would have to research how that is administered. I suspect that if you found a spot off the road, and camped, you could get away with it for a night or two, pleading ignorance but do not be surprised if you do not end up sharing with other users. there are many permit uses on crown lands, from pack ride tour groups, grazing rights, wood lot operators, etc. It can be a tangled web to know whats going on.
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:11 AM   #22
Name: Barbara
Trailer: Boler
I agree about the crown lands. Two such areas I know of have cement barrriers preventing access by any vehicle, accessible only to walkers. My personal feeling is they make very difficult to even get any information.
Barbara Gardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:38 AM   #23
Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr

This is a very extensive web page that might be a resource to many.
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:20 AM   #24
Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
That's a great site for tripping. I printed off some sections for our summer camping.
AND passed the link along to others.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:47 AM   #25
Name: Don
Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17'
Very neat website Kent. Thanks for sharing

Don N is offline   Reply With Quote