Planning Summer Trip Across Canada - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2010, 04:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 1985 19 ft Scamp
I'm planning a summer trip across Canada and would like any information on where to stay what to see what to avoid. We sort of like off the beaten path kind of places we avoid interstates and take back roads. Are there any good books on Canadian campgrounds?
thomas kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Quote:
I'm planning a summer trip across Canada and would like any information on where to stay what to see what to avoid. We sort of like off the beaten path kind of places we avoid interstates and take back roads. Are there any good books on Canadian campgrounds?
Its a big country and I think you will need to figure out how you intend to travel across. will you travell the Trans-Canada hwy , assuming you are going west, will you make the return trip also in Canada. I have loads of info about B.C.. Search out the provincial parks for each province, especially if you do not want or need hook ups.
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:44 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
Quote:
Thomas:

Did you have a look at Woodall's Canada Campground Guide, 2010 available at Amazon?
http://www.amazon.com/Woodalls-Canada-Camp...2380&sr=8-4

Brian
Old 01-26-2010, 12:58 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Arrow

You will have fun for sure.

We did a day trip to Victoria from Washington using a BC ferry from Tsawwassen Ferry Terminal, Vancouver . Vancouver Island/Victoria are neat. Enjoyed Bouchard Gardens & a neat museum in Victoria. The aquarium Vancouver was neat as well.

We have stayed at Birch Bay State Park near Blaine, Washington twice over the years, used it as a base for going to Victoria & Victoria Island in Canada. Once on the way out of Canada, once before going into it. It is a 194-acre camping park with 8,255 feet of saltwater shoreline on Birch Bay and 14,923 feet of freshwater shoreline on Terrell Creek. The park is rich in archeological significance and offers panoramic views of the Cascade Mountains and Canadian Gulf Islands. Very nice park, neat views, neat seafood in the area. Not too far from Port Angles.

We enjoyed a short stay at Sequim Bay State Park, a year-round, 92-acre marine camping park with 4,909 feet of saltwater coast in the Sequim "rainshadow," just inside Puget Sound on the Olympic Peninsula. The bay is calm, the air is dry and interpretive opportunities await visitors.

To get to Sequim from Birch Bay, we did take a ferry to Port Townsend. Can't remember route at this time. We also took a ferry from an island, which we drove to from Sequim, to Seattle. Bough some fresh pawns at a small country stop & shop and some smoked salmon from some guys selling it from their van along the way. Go some crab boil at a Super Market in Sequim. Oh, was it a feast! We went to the Aquarium in Seattle and rode a tram to close to the Space Needle.

Vancover BC, we really enjoyed visiting the Vancouver Aquarium , but it was in '86. Should be ever better now.

We checked GasTown out in '97, an ok place, lot of tourist shops, multi-national flavor, enjoyed the steam clock.

Also visted an Art Museum & a water front park, near the Aquarium, over looking the bay. We also did a drive up and along the sound to Squamish which is a very lovely drive, along the way we visited <a href="http://images.google.com/images?q=shannon+falls+bc&rls=com.microsoft[img] target=[/img]Shannon Falls.</a>

In 1986, we stayed several days in a small private campground (long gone it seems, now part of a neat golf course) by the sound on the way to Squamish, just before getting to Shannon Falls. We also went to Vancouver Island/Victoria, both are neat. Enjoyed Bouchard Gardens & a neat museum in Victoria. I can not remember the name of it now. Attractions We did a day trip, leaving the trailer at Birch Bay State Park in Washington and drove back into Canada to take a ferry. A neat trip.

On one trip we spent a few days at Waterton Nat'l Park in Canada before going down to Glacier, nice up there. Waterton

We went up to Thunder Bay from MN along the shore of Lake Superior. We only spent one night there, we stayed the night at a visitor center/welcome center outside of town. Off or on a major Hwy or interstate-like Hwy. Can't remember the number, etc. We were in a C-class MH. 2001.

I believe I found it: The City of Thunder Bay's official travel and visitor information center, located at the Terry Fox Scenic Lookout.
1000 Highway 11/17
Thunder Bay, ON P7A 0A1, Canada

It is on the Thunder Bay Expy, as you can see on this photo, it has large parking areas & I remember it was at a Scenic Lookout. Photo

Things to do. We went to Fort William Historical Park very neat place. We had stopped at Grand Portage National Monument which was equally good if not better.

Our frist trip in a TT was to Canada: Bought a TT in '86 (a 20' 1983 Komfort Lite Bunkhouse with a head & shower, Wow!) which we took on a trip to Yellowstone, Glacier, Baniff in Canada to Victoria, BC then down the west coast to SoCal & back home towed with the 16 year old '70 Chevy farm truck without a butane tank & a low shell.

After several new to us tows through the years, we went to a '96 Coachman Catalina C-class 22' MH in '97. We went to Canada again for our first trip with it. This time to LA area then up the west coast to Victoria, BC area to Jasper, to Baniff, Watertown, Glacier, then back home via American Falls area of Idaho.

Neat things around Jasper and Baniff. If you go over toward Baniff from the West, I'd suggest going by Jasper first, very nice area. There is a hot spring resort in the area, very nice. The ride on the ice fields between Jasper & Baniff is neat. If from the East, Waterton then Baniff then Jasper then to Vancover, BC. Watertown is a neat place, as is Glacier in the US. There is a Glacier Nat'l Park in Canada as well in BC. Not been to it.

They have a neat visitor center between Jasper and Baniff, as I remember it, With a Tour on an Ice Bus like machine up on the glacier for a fee; but there was a short hike to the foot of the glacier near the hwy for free as well. The Bus was neat. Tours of Glacier, we have gotten to do it twice. Very neat. Take a jacket, it can be cold. First time was in '86 and we drove up from Baniff to see it and do the tour. Second time was in '97, we stopped going from Jasper to Baniff in MH.

We did a car trip from Minot, ND to Brandon, Manitoba in our dinghy (Geo Metro). Neat seeing the country side, we did not do any tours other than at a Wal-Mart. Ha! But did pass some nice camping areas. We did stop at the International Peace Garden on the U.S. and Canadian border. PeaceGarden.com

We did a second car trip from Minot to Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan and took a tour of the cities Murals and heard about the history of the town and it's connection to Al Copone and others. We also went to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Museum located in the RCMP Academy Campus. Very neat. We also went to an art museum and some other tourist things while in Regina.

We had stopped at Fort Macleod, Alberta when on our way to Waterton. It was were the first RCMP made an appearence. It was in the general area of a neat site, Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump.

When we were in Canada in '97, it was worth buying the Nat'l Parks Pass. We got ours at Jasper. http://www.pc.gc.ca/PROGS/NP-PN/RECH...ARCH_E.ASP?P=1
http://www.hellobc.com/en-CA/SightsActivit...CFQhbbQodcB1z0w

I have wanted to make a run to Winnipeg, Manitoba but did not get to do so. There were many things one could see there it seems. http://www.winnipegkiosk.ca/
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Adrian, you are awesome. I've lived in Canada almost 60 years and that's a pretty good list of things to do west of the Lakehead.
Thomas, one place you might want to check out is Royal Tyrell museum in Drumheller, Alta., as well as the hoo-doos there. traveldrumheller.com/royal-tyrrell-museum.html
And on the West coast there are millions of great things available to do, so if you want to send me a PM I'll offer some suggestions.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:03 PM   #6

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
if you're in the Winnipeg area the second weekend in July. you should check out the Winnipeg Folk Fest. now a 5 day event featuring over 80 performers on numerous stages. if you want to camp there, book your tickets now... the RV camping in the party campground go really fast. other "quiet" camping in always available but not near as much fun. there's tons of FG eggs there every year... all owned by super nice folks.
http://www.winnipegfolkfestival.ca/
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:35 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Arrow

Thomas, if returning using US Hwys & Interstates, here are some things south of the 49th Parallel North.

Campin' near Mall of America ** Carousel Saint Paul, MN ** Twin Cities ***MN Lake Superior

** Lake Metigoshe State Park Bottineau, ND

North Dakota Campgrounds **Camp-sites Western Kansas following US 83

** Smith Falls State Park, Nebraska

** *ND*

Cody-Y'stone-MtRushmore-TRoosv't-Thermopolis-Devil'sTower

T. Roosevelt Nat'l North ** T. Roosevelt South, Yellowstone, etc

** Mount Rushmore & Custer SP

** Glacier Nat'l Park

Trip-Minot ND ** Clear Lake, Iowa ** Wyoming

North Dakota

Black Hills to Yellowstone

Idaho

Pacific Northwest

May need to use this list in reverse order.

<_< I realize many of these sites and attractions are not real close to the 49th parallel on the US of A's side, but they are not tooo far from it.

I also realize this is far from a conclusive list of neat place one could see, they are just some I have gone to. What would be neat is to have others add some other places to this list.

As for Books on Canadian Campgrounds as well as American, we used AAA Camp Books and Tour Books which have always proven to be reliable as well of Tour Books from the Canadian Provences and our own States; they are free. A lot of info can now be gotten on line, which I did not have during much of our travels. To get the AAA books free one must be a member of AAA. You can get free maps from all of these as well and Triptiks from AAA, a travel planner maps.
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:19 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Quote:
Hello Thomas:
If you are a member of AAA, then check with them to see if they can build you a planning map on Interesting places to visit in Canada,
or I believe you can utilize the CAA here is Canada, by showing your AAA card, once in Canada.
I have gone to them, and they do a great job of proving maps, and actually building your journey, based your time frame and directions.
They then print it all off, and give it to you as a package.
Just an option for you?
Cheers, and have a wonderful trip in Canada.
Jake.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:10 AM   #9

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
We spent the better part of a month on the trans-Canada last summer, traveling from NY to MN.
My favorite parks: Lake Superior, and tiny Rossport cg at Rainbow Falls. Also loved Pancake Bay, Sleeping Giant, and Fairbank Lake. We camped in provincial parks.
If you plan to spend a lot of time in Ontario, I'd be happy to elaborate, and email photos.
We had an amazing, beautiful trip. In fact, we would like to repeat the route, visiting some spots we missed due to limited time, next summer.
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:43 PM   #10

thanks one and allfor the tips we will look at them all . Just to give you an idea how we do a tripto the rockies from pa. lasted 8 weeks and 10000 miles about 400 of those miles were on interstates we think back roads are best thanks again
Old 02-01-2010, 09:00 PM   #11

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Quote:
thanks one and allfor the tips we will look at them all . Just to give you an idea how we do a tripto the rockies from pa. lasted 8 weeks and 10000 miles about 400 of those miles were on interstates we think back roads are best thanks again
Look up a book called Blue Highways, about travelling all over the west on secondary roads. It's by William Least Heat Moon from Missouri. Great book
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:50 PM   #12

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
Quote:
Look up a book called Blue Highways, about travelling all over the west on secondary roads. It's by William Least Heat Moon from Missouri. Great book
cheers
Ian
x2 great writer
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:12 AM   #13

Trailer: Surfside TM14 1974
Registry
Everything you need to know about Alberta is on the Government of Alberta's online site:

http://www.programs.alberta.ca/Livin...aspx?N=770+768

NOTE: Most Provincial Campgrounds will need to be booked in advance online.

Also visit the Alberta Motor Association website for maps, TripTiks, CampBooks, TourBooks, etc. If you have a CAA or AAA membership (Auto Associations), your membership privileges may be transferable (no additional charges):
www.ama.ab.ca/

Have FUN!!!!!
Miriam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:14 AM   #14

Trailer: Surfside TM14 1974
Registry
GREAT post, Adrian W!!
Miriam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:20 AM   #15

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
We had an amazing, beautiful trip. In fact, we would like to repeat the route, visiting some spots we missed due to limited time, next summer.
Well, the first trip is a really a reconnaissance mission, after all
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:05 PM   #16

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
I believe the BEST drive in BC is as follows
Enter BC on highway 3 through the Crowsnest pass
research and enjoy 3 to Creston.
Then take 3A to the Kootenay Lake ferry and take
a small side trip to Nelson then back up the lake to Kaslo.
31A is about 30 or so miles from Kaslo to New Denver.
My favorite piece of pavement in Canada not only for
the drive (or ride!) but BEAUTIFUL!!.
Get a coffee in New Denver then take 6 up to Nakusp.
From Nakusp down to the ferry at needles and over the
Monashee Pass to Vernon and down to Kelowna. Theres a few
people around here but you'll be through it soon.
Take the 97c(?) connector to Merritt. Then take 8 up to
Spences bridge on Highway 1 and down 1 to Lytton
On to highway12 up to Lillooet and highway99.
This road can be a little rough in places but it's
worth it!!This will take you through Pemberton,
Whistler,Squamish and down to Vancouver,
or up the Shineshine Coast or Vancouver Is.
This will show you how diverse the mountains are.
Keep you on mostly back roads and my
experence is you will meet the best people!
The last time I took this route I was on a motorcycle
(Highly enjoyable!) and took 2 days. But
I didn't stop much, so allow maybe 4d or so.
I am a bit bias as I live just outta Creston.
We went acroos Canada last summer with
our Boler. This is still far and away the best drive
IMO
Fred
Old 02-09-2010, 11:42 AM   #17

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
Thomas;

Just saw your post. It really reminds me of a trip I did in 1978 to the East Coast, down through the US and back through Canada, camping all the way, and avoiding interstates. Having said that, in certain areas it is quite difficult to avoid major highways, the section north of Lake Superior and the inital poke through the Rockies come to mind.

Not only would I buy a Canadian National Parks pass, but I would also look carefully at the Provincial Parks in the various provinces. Many are hidden gems, for example, Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park (Alberta/Saskatchewan) and Manning Provincial Park (BC).

If you plan to travel during the summer, (June 15 - September 15), reservations should be a must along the route for popular stays, and early arrival is a must at those campgrounds not set up for reservations. What we often do is travel during the week (Monday - Friday AM) and settle down somewhere for the weekend to avoid the rush.

Pay special attention to the ferries. Most of my experience is with the BC and Washingston state ferry systems. Summer line-ups can be very lengthy without reservations. They require accurate measurements of your rig, length and height. When we took the ferry to the Queen Charlottes, I carefully checked my rig, since I would be payning a significant premium if I were overheight. I checked, and felt that I was two inches under the maximum for regulat fare. They questioned me as I checked in and I assured them I was under height. They said, OK, it's your truck, and on I went. As we entered the vessel I couldn't see what all the fuss was, lots of headroom. We were along one side of the vessel. As we were making our way out, they dropped an upper deck that I had not seen to load a second level of cars. My clearance was the two inches I stated, but was I ever glad I had carefully measured in my driveway at home!

Here are a few links:

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/index.aspx Canadian National Park System

http://www.out-there.com/htl_ppk.htm Canadian Provincial Parks

https://reserve.albertaparks.ca/crrs/public/index.htm Alberta PP reservations

http://www.bcferries.com/ BC Ferries

http://www.caa.ca/home-e.cfm Canadian Automobile Association, affiliated with AAA

http://america.meuldijk.info/ Lex & Rita Meuldijk visited the US and Canada last year trailering with their Biod. They posted a great blog, complete with photos. Really worth a look for ideas.

Drop me a line if I can help with anything.

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:20 PM   #18

been doing some research on the web and crown lands seem like a good spot to camp. anyone know how to get info and maps of thease places? thanks again tom
Old 02-28-2010, 12:54 PM   #19

Trailer: Trillium
Quote:
The gov't provincial park websites are very good with lots of photos and info, we prefer the gov't campgrounds as they are usually more private, nicer spots etc. For BC it's at http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/regions.html - with the exception of 2 parks, most have about 30% that are first come first serve spots.
We have a dog eared book we use for our travels, it's out of print and a bit outdated, but you can still get it through amazon etc: it's called 'The Big New Travel BC Guide'
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:25 AM   #20

Trailer: Boler 1984
We too are planning a trip across Canada in June and early July. At least from Ontario as far as Jasper National Park. We've done this a couple of times before and look forward to doing it again. We'll take the scenic route on No 17 hwy around Lake Superior and then through the trees to Manitoba. Hwy 1 as far as Portage La Prarie and then follow the Yellowhead Hwy towards Edmonton. Then a bit of camping and sightseeing in the Mountians with family from Alberta.
Each of the Prarie Provinces has a Pioneer Villiage museum that you might like to check out. There are some Mounted Police Forts to look for as well. If you stay on Canada's Hwy One, look for a couple of small auto museumsalong the way and Cyprus Hills offers some very nice camping. It's the highest point East of the Rockies. Drumheller and Dinosaur park, in Alberta should be a must see. If you are a car buff don't miss the museum at Wetaskiwin.
Hope BC has some great chainsaw carving [That's where the first Rocky film was made] and there's a very nice Gardens at Chiliwack. Sorry you left it so late, they had a nice little party in Vancouver last week.
Maybe we'll see you on the road. Good tripping.

james kent is offline   Reply With Quote