planning trip to SW...need help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe (hatched June 2009)
planning trip to SW...need help

I am posting this to solicit any and all assistance, helpful hints, pearls of wisdom, favorite places, best kept camping secrets, etc......I am planning a 3/4 week photography/camping trip mid Sept.to Colorado, Utah, New Mexico and Arizona.....my plan is to leave the San Antonio area and start heading NW...take I-10 west for a while, head N on US-83 and stop for a couple days at Palo Duro Canyon near Amarillo...then head N. to NM and get on I-25 to Walsenburg Colorado...take 160 west and stop somewhere close to Great Sand Dunes Nat'l Park.....spend 1-2 days and continue on 160 until Durango and try to find some Dry-Camping stop(s)...spend several days in the area to include Silverton, Ouray, Ridgeway, Telluride, etc....from there head West to Monument Valley ( route undecided) spend a couple days there...hopefully on the grounds dry camping unless that's a "no-no" these days.....then go to Page, Az..for a couple days...leave for Bryce Canyon, Zion and what ever else I can see in that area...camping in several spots...I hope....then...head back...and I'm not sure of route yet...one is to go back to Page, then Chinle Az, head south to Deming.....and then back to Texas....

....and I need lots of "Guidance"....Especially from you folks who know the area as in the Dutchman, Ms Eileen, DesertHawk, Sebastian(Silver Raven)...and anyone else who is familiar with the area...I appreciate it, am looking forward to hearing from everyone......I still am not able to post on the "Casita Club" forum...any help in getting the request there is also appreciated......Horst
Horst K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:21 PM   #2

Trailer: BIOD (1979 and 1990)
Registry
Maybe this can help a little bit: Touring North America 2009
Blog: https://rilexm.eu/fotoboek/2009na/
Lex M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:37 PM   #3

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex M View Post
Maybe this can help a little bit: Touring North America 2009
Rilex...thank you very much for the providing me with your blog.....SUPER info and great photo's...I am going to use this as a reference guide as I travel through the area....very useful info.....again thanks...do you have any other journals like this one....I enjoyed your writings... Horst
Old 09-07-2011, 01:03 AM   #4

Trailer: BIOD (1979 and 1990)
Registry
Yes, there are other journals, but written in Dutch. Sorry.
Links: Welkom
Blog: https://rilexm.eu/fotoboek/2009na/
Lex M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:03 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
Monument Valley

We are planning a trip to Utah starting next week and in researching Monument Valley it appears there will be little opportunity for dry camping, at least on the Navajo tribal lands. The Navajo community has had issues in the past with livestock, littering and desecration of sacred sites. As a result they have enacted very strict policies on off road activities.

Now perhaps there is BLM land nearby, or National Forest. Here is a link to San Juan County campgrounds. It mentions a number of BLM campgrounds. All would be in Utah and a bit away.

Camping - Public Lands - San Juan County, Utah

The Navajo nation has a campground in Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park. It would qualify as dry camping. I would read further about it and the other local spot at:

RV Park Reviews :: Monument Valley, Utah ( UT ) - RV Parks and Campground Reviews

RV Park Reviews :: Monument Valley (Unincorp Location), Arizona ( AZ ) - RV Parks and Campground Reviews
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Braun View Post
We are planning a trip to Utah starting next week and in researching Monument Valley it appears there will be little opportunity for dry camping, at least on the Navajo tribal lands. The Navajo community has had issues in the past with livestock, littering and desecration of sacred sites. As a result they have enacted very strict policies on off road activities.

Now perhaps there is BLM land nearby, or National Forest. Here is a link to San Juan County campgrounds. It mentions a number of BLM campgrounds. All would be in Utah and a bit away.

Camping - Public Lands - San Juan County, Utah

The Navajo nation has a campground in Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park. It would qualify as dry camping. I would read further about it and the other local spot at:

RV Park Reviews :: Monument Valley, Utah ( UT ) - RV Parks and Campground Reviews

RV Park Reviews :: Monument Valley (Unincorp Location), Arizona ( AZ ) - RV Parks and Campground Reviews
Paul...thanks for the references....It helped a lot.....I plan on spending at least 3 days their.....may even take a "guided tour".....have you taken one if so was it worth it, especially for taking photo's...Again thanks Horst
Old 09-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
Photo Opportunities

I have two books that are excellent references for the area you are covering. They list all the favorite photo sights, access roads, best time for the perfect light, lens recommendations and time required. They are:

Photographing the Southwest Volume 1 Southern Utah by Laurent Martes, 2nd Edition.

Photographing the Southwest Volume 2 Arizona by Laurent Martes, 2nd Edition.

My son provided these to me with the recommendation that they were excellent tools, even if you are not a photographer as they give so much usefull information on the sights.

As an example if you were to visit Zion NP the author lists 25 different locations for photo opportunities around Zion. I am not sure either of us would have the time to cover the possibilites.

They also contain many beautiful photos.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Braun View Post
I have two books that are excellent references for the area you are covering. They list all the favorite photo sights, access roads, best time for the perfect light, lens recommendations and time required. They are:

Photographing the Southwest Volume 1 Southern Utah by Laurent Martes, 2nd Edition.

Photographing the Southwest Volume 2 Arizona by Laurent Martes, 2nd Edition.

My son provided these to me with the recommendation that they were excellent tools, even if you are not a photographer as they give so much usefull information on the sights.

As an example if you were to visit Zion NP the author lists 25 different locations for photo opportunities around Zion. I am not sure either of us would have the time to cover the possibilites.

They also contain many beautiful photos.
Paul...Thanks again for the book(s) info...went on Amazon.com and ordered a set of 3 that covers all the states that I plan on going to....I think I hit pay dirt, thanks to you....Horst
Old 09-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Laurent's books are great and well worth the price. There is a third - Photographing the Southwest: Volume 3--Colorado/New Mexico .

I spent some time at many of the areas you are thinking of visiting on a 111 day trip this summer.

A couple of places you might consider - (Most of the links are to my pages of photos of the area)
Hanging Lake, Glenwood Springs,CO

Goblin Valley State Park, Hanksville, UT (Campsites available)

You mentioned Page, AZ. If you are not already planning it, I strongly suggest taking the Photo Tour of Antelope Canyon on the Navajo Reservation. Also Horseshoe Bend is a couple of miles south of Page & well worth a stop.

If you are going to Bryce, I'd plan a morning or evening at nearby Kodachrome Basin State Park (Bottom of the page) (Campsites available).

There are some wonderful photo opportunities at Canyonlands National Park, UT. Sunrise at Mesa Arch, False Kiva, etc. I don't have a page of photos from there, but there are a few in the blog. I passed it up on this trip (and am kicking myself) but will stop at Deadhorse State Park, UT next trip.

If you haven't been to Arches National Park it is worth a couple of days, as is Capitol Reef National Park.

Not too far from Zion is the Valley of Fire State Park in Nevada.

Any specific questions about the areas I visited, let me know!

On edit - I just looked at your web page and it is obvious you have already been to some of my suggestions. Great images!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 08:02 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
Laurent's books are great and well worth the price. There is a third - Photographing the Southwest: Volume 3--Colorado/New Mexico .

I spent some time at many of the areas you are thinking of visiting on a 111 day trip this summer.

A couple of places you might consider - (Most of the links are to my pages of photos of the area)
Hanging Lake, Glenwood Springs,CO

Goblin Valley State Park, Hanksville, UT (Campsites available)

You mentioned Page, AZ. If you are not already planning it, I strongly suggest taking the Photo Tour of Antelope Canyon on the Navajo Reservation. Also Horseshoe Bend is a couple of miles south of Page & well worth a stop.

If you are going to Bryce, I'd plan a morning or evening at nearby Kodachrome Basin State Park (Bottom of the page) (Campsites available).

There are some wonderful photo opportunities at Canyonlands National Park, UT. Sunrise at Mesa Arch, False Kiva, etc. I don't have a page of photos from there, but there are a few in the blog. I passed it up on this trip (and am kicking myself) but will stop at Deadhorse State Park, UT next trip.

If you haven't been to Arches National Park it is worth a couple of days, as is Capitol Reef National Park.

Not too far from Zion is the Valley of Fire State Park in Nevada.

Any specific questions about the areas I visited, let me know!

On edit - I just looked at your web page and it is obvious you have already been to some of my suggestions. Great images!
Jon...Thanks you all the GREAT info...I will add this to all the other reference stuff I have received....I did order the 3rd book you reference, so all the bases are covered for the trip with the 3 books... as you know I have been following your blog since you picked up your camper and enjoyed it very much as well as the info on specific places, campsites, reviews, etc...very informative.....I have added a Goggle Blogger to my site as it hopefully be easier to post vs. my Apple generated blog.....again thanks....Horst
Old 09-09-2011, 10:07 PM   #11

Trailer: Aliner
Hi, Horst. Just read your blog entry about your visit to Larry's shop. Very interesting!

But curiosity is killing me. What's with the 2013 dates?
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 12:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon G View Post
Hi, Horst. Just read your blog entry about your visit to Larry's shop. Very interesting!

But curiosity is killing me. What's with the 2013 dates?
Ok...there are 3 plausible answers :
1. I am a person of vision...I've been told that I'm a "visionary" type guy....

2. I put that date in on purpose to see if anyone was really reading my blog....

3. I am very senile and need "adult supervision" 24/7, Sooo, NEVER, EVER, leave me alone on a computer...(hint...this is the correct answer)

On a serious note..thanks, I will correct post-haste....

The good news, I now know that at least one person has read my blog....also I thank you in advance...as I'll be sending my blogs for you to proof read before they go public...hehe!!!

Again thanks for your post, refreshing to find folks with a sense of humor...like I have always said...if you can't laugh at yourself, why hang around, or as someone else said...don't take life too serious, its not permanent..

BTW...I have read the "tiny camper blog" for a while and found it interesting and informative.....

Have a great weekend...Horst