PNW, tell us where to go - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2015, 01:39 PM   #1
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Smile PNW, tell us where to go

We are in the planning stages of our next long trip. We plan to loosely follow I 90 west, go down the Oregon coast and then follow I 80 east. We are most interested in the states of Montana, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, and perhaps Northern California (to see the big trees). We prefer NFS, BLM, and State park campgrounds. We are not looking for destinations but rather "nice places to spend the night" and they must be dog friendly. Your suggestions are most welcome. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:03 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I really like Cape Disappointment State Park (Ilwaco Wa.) Easy access to beautiful beach and some very good historical sites. Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center and the Columbia River Bar AKA The Graveyard of the Pacific. No, it's not a drinking establishment, it's where the Columbia River meets up with the Pacific Ocean. Great fishing sometimes (charter mostly) and just a few minute drive to Longbeach Wa. where you can drive on the beach. Let me know if you want more info. The entire Washington and Oregon coast is very dog friendly. Also the "20 miracle miles" of road from Newport Or. to Lincoln City Or. is very pretty. If you do this, I suggest you stop in Depot Bay and stand on the bridge and watch boats come into the harbor. Very narrow harbor entrance with a dog leg turn. The movie One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest fishing trip scene was filmed here,
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:18 PM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Grayland Beach State Park (westport area) is also a really nice Washington coast park and dog friendly beach. As is Pacific Beach. I really like Fort Casey State Park on Whidbey- sit and watch ferries and shipping come and go, hike (with your dog) up to the fort , and near Greenbank Farm off-leash dog area where you can hike up to a high spot and see water on both sides of Whidbey. You don't say when, but for some places you really need to book way in advance or you take your chances.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:47 AM   #4

Name: George
Trailer: In the market
New Mexico
Oh my! Where to start with this! The Oregon coast is spectacular and not to be missed. Beaches are not for swimming. My wife and I were comfortable in heavy coats in July, but it's all too gorgeous to miss. Jack L is right about those "20 Miracle Miles", including Yaquina Head Lighthouse at Newport. All the way from there to Olympic National Park is stunning. Then see Mt. St. Helens and Ranier in Washington, and if you can, the waterfalls and river of the Columbia River Gorge. In Idaho, camping in the Stanley area is great, and of course, Glacier National Park in Montana has the most beautiful highway in America. Happy travels!
George in New Mex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 03:08 PM   #5

Name: M
Trailer: Formerly Scamp
Oregon
Camping Favorites

To add to the great locations already listed, Oregon: Honeymann St. Park, S. of Florence, Bullards Beach N of the quaint town of Bandon, Beverly Beach St. Park and Sunset Bay State Park - you'll need reservations if traveling Oregon coast in summer: Oregon State Parks and Recreation

Add Ft. Flagler Historical State Park to your Washington list, and Humboldt Redwoods State Park in Northern California.

In Washington and Oregon some national forest recreation sites require a day use fee; if eligible, get an interagency Senior Permit or bring your Golden Age Passport (USDA Forest Service - Recreation, Heritage and Wilderness).

I always travel with my dog. But all National Parks and some some state parks restrict dogs to campgrounds/parking lots - no trails. If I'm hiking or kayaking in dog restricted areas, I try to locate a kennel for a day; some RV park managers are helpful in locating dog sitters.

Stop in Oregon's Willamette Valley wine country (Champoeg State Park) and the Oregon Coast Aquarium (Newport). Washington's Mt. St. Helens.

If you decide not to travel to Northern California, head for Crater Lake National Park - Oregon's gem. Campgrounds open only in summer.

Suggest take state roads, not interstate freeways for a more enjoyable, relaxed trip. Check out county campgrounds in your planning.

Enjoy your travels...you might wind up staying in our beautiful Northwest.
Ttocs M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 02:48 AM   #6
Raz

Thanks to all for taking the time. We are adding your suggestions to our map. Perhaps there will be others. Raz
Old 07-29-2015, 05:11 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Raz, are you going to be on the Oregon Coast the end of September, first of October? If so, don't forget the Fall NOG! Bunches of folks coming, would love to meet you
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:42 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
If you're just going to spend a night to sleep, OR, WA, and CA rest areas work good. Otherwise there's just too many to recommend any single spot. Here's a link to what I use to locate campgrounds. LINK

I know a lot of people will recommend OR, WA, and CA state parks, but I avoid them. They are not much better that NFS and BLM but a lot more expensive. If you don't have the federal Senior Pass get one. It's best $10 investment you'll find.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:34 AM   #9
Raz

Hello Folks. We like to travel in the fall or spring. Since I first posted we have decided fall is better for this trip. Normally we'd leave after labor day but most of our summer chores are done. We are still harvesting from the garden but that's almost finished. If the bunnies get in there again it will end sooner rather than later.

I'm putting recommendations on a map for easy reference. Don't think we'll make the NOG but maybe. Thanks for the invite. And yes, we now both have our geezer cards. Raz
Old 07-29-2015, 09:53 AM   #10

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
I'm impressed Byron....

your link to Ultimate campgrounds is certainly a good one....

if it's that good in Canada.....showing all the remote rec sites in my "backyard" like it does.....it must surely be one of the best campground finder sites out there (I always check them for that...and I've never seen such detail for that area before)
Attached Thumbnails
ultimate.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:05 PM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Hello Folks. We like to travel in the fall or spring. Since I first posted we have decided fall is better for this trip. Normally we'd leave after labor day but most of our summer chores are done. We are still harvesting from the garden but that's almost finished. If the bunnies get in there again it will end sooner rather than later.

I'm putting recommendations on a map for easy reference. Don't think we'll make the NOG but maybe. Thanks for the invite. And yes, we now both have our geezer cards. Raz
RAZ, Astoria where the NOG is being held is a nice state park and there are lots of interesting things to explore in town... it has an interesting history.

If your looking for state parks with right on the beach camping - the only two I know of that do not have a large sand bank between you and the beach are - Beachside State Park in Oregon - site number 63 is the one with the million dollar view but nearly impossible to get! and Fort Casey in Washington. At Fort Casey the BEST spots are numbers 12, 13, 14, 15 & 16 all right on the water but they have no power but spots 17, 18, 19 & 20 are also on the water and they do have power - nice spots just not as awesome as the other sites where you can have a campfire at night and not feel like you are in a crowded state park with others right next to you.

A few other of my fav stopping points on the coast are Nahalem Bay State park which is a short walk over the sand dune to the beach and a short bike ride to the funky surf town of Manzanita. Deception Pass State Park in Washington and Champoeg State Park Oregon if you are wanting to explore the Portland area.

If you don't leave it to late in the Fall take the Cascade Highway in Washington - lots of good camping that direction. Little funky towns to check out - the little town of Leavenworth is a german heritage town well known for its October Fest ;-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote