Portland, Oregon - Safe place to stay at - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-22-2008, 03:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 1990 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'm looking to spend a few days to a week in the Portland area this summer and I am looking for a recomendation on a place to stay. It will be our 1st time there with our trailer.

I grew up in Portland and some of the addresses I'm finding for (the very few) RV parks seem a little "shady" and not the tree kind of shade.

Anyone know of a safe park for families? Either in Portland or a short drive?

Thanks,
Maggie
Maggie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:08 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Look at Oregon State Parks. There's one not very far south of Portland, Champoeg. Nice place along the river and less expensive than RV parks. Here's the web site.

It not in Portland, but it's quite close.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The Portland-Fairview RV Park is nice. Just north of Gresham. Close to factory outlet stores in Troutdale and just west of a new Camping World (new store in Wood Village)
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:52 AM   #4

Thanks!

Think I may try both!

Margaret.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:37 PM   #5

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
We stayed at the Sandy Riverfront RV Park when we visiting Portland last year. It's very nice, right on the Sandy River, but further east Easy drive to the Colombia River scenic road. We'd go back there again (as we missed the famous chicken dumplings at a nearby restaurant!). http://sandyrv.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Sandy_Riverfront_RV_Resort.jpg  
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:24 PM   #6

http://sandyrv.com/

How cute your trailer looks by the trees! And I've heard of that dumpling resturant . . .

It looks like a nice location and park . . . but per website . . . they have to view pre-1996 RV's before admission . . . ours is a 1990 . . . and I'd feel better about having reservations!

Has anyone know of or any experience with this RV Park that dosen't seem to have a website . . .

Town & County RV Park
9911 SE 82nd Ave # 31
Happy Valley, OR 97086

Do the teens still cruise 82nd?

Maggie
Old 01-24-2008, 06:49 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
http://sandyrv.com/[/url]

How cute your trailer looks by the trees! And I've heard of that dumpling resturant . . .

It looks like a nice location and park . . . but per website . . . they have to view pre-1996 RV's before admission . . . ours is a 1990 . . . and I'd feel better about having reservations!

Has anyone know of or any experience with this RV Park that dosen't seem to have a website . . .

Town & County RV Park
9911 SE 82nd Ave # 31
Happy Valley, OR 97086

Do the teens still cruise 82nd?

Maggie
I'd avoid anything on 82nd Ave. It's a very busy street. You can find just about anything on 82nd, including working ladies.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:33 PM   #8

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
We still like the one at exit 308 Jantzen beach. It is safe and very clean and very friendly. Very city oriented with a mall just across the street but if getting around in the city is a must this provides a safe rest.

Jantzen Beach RV Park
1503 N Hayden Island Dr
Portland, OR 97217-8211
(503) 289-7626

Or this one on Marine drive is very clean and orderly but less friendly and more in line for the big rigs.

Columbia River RV Park
10649 NE 13th Ave
Portland, OR 97211-1557
(503) 285-1515

We have stayed at both. Neither would be good places for a camping trip but if you just need a nice clean safe place in Portland we use these. Hope that helps.
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:44 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
I'm looking to spend a few days to a week in the Portland area this summer and I am looking for a recomendation on a place to stay. It will be our 1st time there with our trailer.

I grew up in Portland and some of the addresses I'm finding for (the very few) RV parks seem a little "shady" and not the tree kind of shade.

Anyone know of a safe park for families? Either in Portland or a short drive?

Thanks,
Maggie
Maggie,
For State Park campgrounds try Ainsworth State Park in the Columbia River Gorge [b]http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_142.php or Milo McIver State Park on the Clackamas River [b] http://www.oregonstateparks.org/park_142.php

If it were me I would stay at one of the Forest Service Campgrounds in the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area. Eagle Creek is beautiful and has a bit of history. I believe it was the first official campground in all of the US Forest Service. There is a great trail following the creek up a side gorge. Multnomah Falls and Bonneville Dam visitor centers are nearby. More info at [b]http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/columbia/rec...pgrounds.shtml

All of the above are about 40 to 45 min away from downtown.

Good Luck,
Jay

Jay Moeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:30 PM   #10

Registry
I've vouch for Eagle Creek. A hike up Eagle Creek is fantastic, and very busy on week-ends. Jay is correct this was built by the CCC when in the 1930s. It is the first Forest Service Camp ground. Some of the rock work is great to investigate. No dogs on the the Eagle Creek trail.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:14 AM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
And I've heard of that dumpling resturant . . .

Tell them it's a 2003... and point to Scamp's website. I'm certainly not advocating lying, but this is ridiculous, when these trailers haven't changed in 40 years. I'm certain the "rule" has more to do with how something "looks," and most often stickies look pretty bad after 10 years. Not so fiberglass, if it's kept washed and waxed.

The restaurant is "Tad's."
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:17 PM   #12

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft
I thought Eagle Creek was a Day area use only?

Check the Clackamas County Parks web page. Each summer while visiting the kids in Milwaukie, we stay in Barton Park along the Clackamas. You are are about 30 minutes from everywhere...the city, the mountains, the noise, but not the geese. We grocery shop and gas up in Damascus. It is not to far from Eagle Creek.

I'm a ex-Oregon too...so I know it all.
Larry Dickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:07 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
I thought Eagle Creek was a Day area use only?

Check the Clackamas County Parks web page. Each summer while visiting the kids in Milwaukie, we stay in Barton Park along the Clackamas. You are are about 30 minutes from everywhere...the city, the mountains, the noise, but not the geese. We grocery shop and gas up in Damascus. It is not to far from Eagle Creek.

I'm a ex-Oregon too...so I know it all.
Barton Park -- Camping in a very open grassy field. Gate locked at 10:00 pm, so you're either locked in or locked out.

Eagle Creek has all three, day use, campground, and group camp. Look Here It's closed in winter, opens April 15.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:49 AM   #14

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft
Quote:
Barton Park -- Camping in a very open grassy field. Gate locked at 10:00 pm, so you're either locked in or locked out.

Eagle Creek has all three, day use, campground, and group camp. Look Here It's closed in winter, opens April 15.
I stand corrected on Eagle Creek. And at Barton, the The open area is the RV loop and you can use the lower loop if you want trees and a playground. As for Barton being a safe place, yep on the gate, there is a host, and the ranger's house is near the gate. If it is a weekend, the ranger will leave the gate unlocked later upon request. Because of the climate, we prefer the open area and Barton is a little closer in. I expect in the summer heat, the treed Eagle Creek would be better. If you take one of the spaces near the host, you can avoid the goose problem. The restrooms/showers are clean.

Then, there is Clackamette Park in Oregon City on two rivers. I would classify it as a fisherman's camp.
Larry Dickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:55 PM   #15

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
We have stayed at RV Park of Portland in Tualatin just off I-5 at exit 289, at Nyberg Road. It is next to a new shopping center under construction, so do not know whether noise would be a problem. We found the freeway noise at night to be a little intrusive, but the park is clean and safe, and it is easy to access either downtown Portland on I-5 or the eastern areas from 205. http://www.rvparkofportland.com

We have driven through Town & Country RV Park on 82nd as a potential place to stay closer to family and it looks okay. It is across the street from Wal-Mart and this part of 82nd Avenue in Clackamas County is not too scary...no more so than the rest of the city!
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:52 PM   #16

Registry
Quote:
We have driven through Town & Country RV Park on 82nd as a potential place to stay closer to family and it looks okay. It is across the street from Wal-Mart and this part of 82nd Avenue in Clackamas County is not too scary...no more so than the rest of the city!

You might not be aware that the area on the west side of 82nd at that location is well known, from 82nd Ave to Bell Ave. Those of us that have lived close to there know that area as "Felony Flats".
Old 01-28-2008, 05:09 PM   #17

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
Quote:
You might not be aware that the area on the west side of 82nd at that location is well known, from 82nd Ave to Bell Ave. Those of us that have lived close to there know that area as "Felony Flats".
We lived in that area for a year last year and never had any reason to be concerned.
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:54 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
We lived in that area for a year last year and never had any reason to be concerned.

I suppose it could have changed in the past 15 years. I moved into Milwaukie area in 1965, it was know as Felony Flats then. I moved away from there to Woodburn in 1995, still known as Felony Flats at that time. Sometimes things change.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:27 PM   #19

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
RV park of Portland, Tualitan actually, is clean, reasonably priced and close enough to Portland to be non inconvenient (Does that make sense?)

My brother lived there in his travel trailer during a divorce and I worked for many years just up the road @ the Boones Ferry exit. I visited my brother there many times. I never felt it was creepy or seedy.

The next trip I do to PDX with my rig, I will stay there. (I lost my parking spot in someones driveway due to HIS divorce LOL!)

I have driven by the Sandy River one, it is also clean and a good location for gorge activities, but if you are going for the gorge, the state and forest service parks up the hiway are more in tune with the outdoor theme.

The Chicken and Dumpling place is called Tadds. It was my all time favorite eat out place when I lived up the hiway from it, and not because of location. I still travel out there almost every trip "Home" for a meal. Sometimes twice!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:12 PM   #20

Trailer: 2004 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe and 2001 13 ft Casita Patriot Deluxe
We've also stayed at the RV Park of Portland many times over the last 9 years.
We find it a nice place to stay.
1969 25' Airstream Trade Wind (Modified)
Glen G is offline   Reply With Quote