Quartzsite LTVAs during Government Shutdown - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-20-2018, 04:53 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quartzsite LTVAs during Government Shutdown

While no one has come to the trailer asking us to leave, the entrance stations at the Quartzsite LTVAs are all closed until further notice (no gates, is you can still come & go).

There is a sign listing local water fill & dump stations, so, although I didn't drive out to the LaPosa South dump station, I suspect it and the fresh water fill stations are closed. Glad I dumped & filled last week!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:27 PM   #2

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
That is upsetting! This whole shutdown thing is upsetting! The park system is one thing done right! It creates billions of dollars in the economy - not just fees but gas, food, local business, trailers, trucks, rv's, tires, camping gear, etc... I have just checked on my future recreation.gov reservations and got a sorry we are closed screen. Army Corps of Engineers parks are affected by this and some rallies are scheduled at those facilities. I certainly hope this is worked out very soon and we as Americans do not allow this to happen again.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:35 PM   #3

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
In 2013 we went on a trip to Utah and Arizona. It was amazing to see how many motor homes were rentals rented by visitors from Germany and France and we were there in late September. We were on the last few days of our trip when the government shut down. We had plans to visit the Grand Canyon on October 1, the day of the shut down. We found some other less interesting, but worthwhile options, but were really thinking about the impression the shut down had on foreign visitors. The foreign visitors had planed to visit American National Parks only to be shut out. I've been back to Utah twice since then,but I'm pretty sure our foreign visitors just went home disappointed. Very sad that our country made such a bad impression on those visitors.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:24 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I'm puzzled, Jack. According to a news report I saw yesterday, the state of Arizona spent $27M during the last shutdown to keep Grand Canyon NP open. I don't know if there was a gap while the details were worked out, but it is my recollection that it was open during most of the shutdown.

The governor has indicated the state is prepared to do the same this time. I can't speak for other federal monuments and lands in the state, but the Grand Canyon is iconic and a major piece of the state's tourism-based economy. Of course there are any number of other federal monuments and lands that may be affected. I was in Chinle Friday but didn't ask how Canyon de Chelly National Monument would be affected. Not much is my guess, since there are no gates or entrance fees and most services are provided by tribal businesses. Monument Valley is a Navajo tribal park, so it won't be affected, either.

I suspect some other states do the same. The major parks are just too important to the affected states and towns economically.

I am following this thread to hear updates on how the Quartzite LTVA's are impacted, especially with the fiberglass egg rally coming up soon. That could affect a lot of people who winter in that region.

Thanks for the info, Jon, and keep us posted.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:19 AM   #5

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
There was at least one other government shut down after 2013. Maybe after 2013 things changed. Hope so for the sake of all the travelers, both US and foreign.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:52 AM   #6

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
There was at least one other government shut down after 2013. Maybe after 2013 things changed. Hope so for the sake of all the travelers, both US and foreign.
Made me look, and it appears from a couple of sources that 2013 was indeed the last.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:04 AM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
shutdown

didn't I read somewhere the states were taking over through this?

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:57 AM   #8

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
didn't I read somewhere the states were taking over through this?

bob
Yup! Three posts back, four now. But not all states and not all parks. Likely only a few of the big ones in tourism-rich states.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:30 PM   #9

Registry
For anyone interested, as of 12:20, 1/21/18, the water fill & dump stations at La Posa South are open. Long lines because it is Big Tent Week.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:41 PM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I read elsewhere that national facilities mostly are staying open for as long as current money on hand holds out, and then they will close. But I don't believe they are going to barricade roads, prevent access to monuments, or other such things as were done in 2013. It's a somewhat kinder, gentler shutdown.

And who knows, this may get resolved sometime next week. I hope it does, so it does not impact large numbers of campsite reservation holders.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:48 PM   #11

Registry
As of 4:30PM, the water fill station is closed.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:43 PM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
seriously that's tacky by some dumb@@@ administrator! frankly it stinks!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote