RAV and Toad - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-06-2008, 05:30 PM   #15

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
RAV AND TOAD, Day Two

We woke to day two refreshed and eager for coffee. The three of us, Old Bag, me and Charly the beagle had managed to sleep comfortably in one bed.

We were warned that the temp could drop to 10 degrees C. overnight so I set the furnace. I only heard it start up once.

Happyness is your own toilet. No longer to I have to stumble around in the dark looking for the 2kg. coffee can or brave the great outdoors in the middle of the night.

Today is a day of rest and reorganization.

I had bought plastic containers for our clothes. They fit perfectly in the bottom of the wardrobe. The space left for hanging clothes, however, was less than ideal. Old Bag figured there had to be a use for all those empty cupboards over and under the bed and moved her clothes. I grudgingly did the same. We still have several empty or half empty cupboards. The plastic containers will spend the rest of the trip empty and getting in the way.

Made the ten minute trip into the metropolis of Merritt to shop for groceries and sundries. Had a latte and cinnamon bun and ended up in conversation with a famed local. He's a hunter / trapper / guide and he and his dog ( also present ) captured a man who had murdered his family and eluded police for more than a week. We didn't talk about that, but we did introduce Charly and his potentially nasty critter to one another.

I also picked up that pressure-reducing valve so I could hook up the the city water and a galvanized pail for a garbage can. Garbage is the one thing I haven't found the perfect location for.

We're just taking it easy, with me trying to reduce weight in the trailer by drinking the beer and, of course, checking the efficiency of the fridge. When the mood strikes, I get up and do some small chore, but mostly I don't.

We've found Moonshadows so peaceful ( and shaded, which is an important factor in Merritt ) that we'll stay here three nights and then put the RAV and Toad to the test on the forestry road leading up to Chattaway Lakes. Last time I took this road in a Subaru wagon with the tent trailer, I had to back down a hill and take another run at it in 4-wheel-drive.

baglo

There are no steelhead.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:16 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
For garbage, I got a plastic wastebasket that's the right size to use a plastic shopping bag as a liner (frugal reuse!) and bungeed the basket in a corner. That way I empty it often and reduce the food smell, plus the CG dumpster is that much cleaner.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:09 PM   #17

British Columbia
Tried to attach a pic but I haven't got the hang of it. Probably too big.

Anyway. The next installment:

We're sitting here looking at the sunset. And, a bunch of vehicles and RVs. Several more campers have rolled in.

It was cause for thought this afternoon - one of the few thoughts I had. Why do we go to so much trouble to sit at a camp-site surrounded by machines? And why do we still enjoy the experience?

Well, for one, the river.

The Old Bag took Charly for a walk and insisted that I check out a piece of water she'd seen. She doesn't fish, but she did take a one-day course on fly fishing and when I saw the water I knew she'd learned a thing or two.

I hooked up on the third cast. Must have been at least an inch long. The kid at the camp-site who said the fish were small wasn't exaggerating. I probably got three dozen fish to rise or take the fly, the largest being four inches, or five, if I'm lying.

Tomorrow I'm going to try to talk the Old Bag into checking out the Thompson at Spences Bridge. She, however, heard the forecast for 35 degrees Celsius and isn't that keen.

Alternative is to sit and drink cold beer from the 5 cu. ft. fridge in the Toad.

Damn. What to do?
Old 08-08-2008, 10:20 PM   #18

British Columbia
RAV and Toad, Day four

Forecast was for thunder storms and winds of 70 to 80 kph. And the forecast was pretty much accurate.

I took down the awning as a precaution when the winds began breaking branches off the cottonwoods.

Watched a young couple arrive and begin setting up their tent just as the storm hit. There was the sound of a lightening strike, thunder and then a loud crack. I know that's not in the right order, but that's what I heard.

And then the rain began to fall, drops the size of jaw-breakers. The new arrivals abandoned their tent and retreated to their car and we to the Escape. And, it was an escape. Warm and dry, no need to go outside for water or to have a pee.

As I sat in the doorway, with the last few drops of rain for company, they hurried by, carrying sleeping bags, on their way to the laundry to dry them, I presume.

The forecast for tomorrow isn't any better, and I don't care. I'm dry, I'm warm and I have a fridge full of beer. I get CBC on the radio and I'm hooked up to the internet through my company financed cell phone. I've got several good books and the New York Times crosswords.

And, I hooked up and moved the Toad, emptied the black and grey water tanks, opened and closed the awning several times without referring to the instructions and used the hot water heater without incident.

Tomorrow we just coast. Day after we move to an unserviced lake-side camp for new challenges and discoveries.

baglo
Old 08-09-2008, 11:53 AM   #19

British Columbia
RAV and Toad, Day five: Photos at Moon Shadows on Coldwater River

Pix of Toad's first camp.

baglo
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2008, 11:58 AM   #20

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Looks like the two of you are REALLY stressed out. Ya best chill out a bit. Hope you are enjoying the new Escape!!!!
Old 08-09-2008, 07:47 PM   #21

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
The conversion chart I use is
http://www.unit-conversion.info/volume.html
You can convert almost everything.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:53 PM   #22

British Columbia
RAV and Toad, Day Six

We pulled up stakes at Moon Shadow this morning. Old Bag wanted to know what time we were leaving. She needs to relax. I said we'd leave when we were ready and we were in no rush.

We were heading for Lower Kane Lake, a forestry recreation site. Pretty much unorganized. A half dozen sites, a few picnic tables and a couple outhouses.

We were arriving just as others were leaving after the weekend and found an open site that was easy to access.

Old Bag failed her first test in directing me in backing. She stood immediately behind the trailer where I couldn't see her. After correcting that situation, I look in my rear view mirror to find that she is mesmerized by the view, somewhere off to the left. I can see we need a few more lessons.

And tit for tat, Old Bag says I leave the toilet seat up, just like at home. Just a few more lessons.

Got the propane fridge running and the heater going. There's a stiff breeze and it's cloudy and cold, although the forecast is for sun and warmth. Likely to be a change in the menu. It was to be cold chicken and salad. If the sun doesn't come out, it's gonna be pork chops and cob corn.

Next door neighbors are pulling out, leaving a nice pile of firewood behind. Their trip home will take about 15 minutes since the live up the next road off the highway.

With a change in the weather, I might even get the canoe in the water and do some fishing. Maybe I can hook that monster that ran straight at me shaking the hook, last time I was here.

I know just where to find him.

baglo
Old 08-10-2008, 09:07 PM   #23

British Columbia
We're freezing here, propane heater

It's 12 degrees celcius with a wind. I've started up the heater twice and had it run ( you can hear the fan ) but after the fan stops it does too.

I have a flashing LED, once every three seconds which indicates one thing or another but doesn't tell me what do do about it.

I'm running out of power on my MacBook, so help if you can.

baglo
Old 08-10-2008, 09:23 PM   #24

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
Quote:
It's 12 degrees celcius with a wind. I've started up the heater twice and had it run ( you can hear the fan ) but after the fan stops it does too.

I have a flashing LED, once every three seconds which indicates one thing or another but doesn't tell me what do do about it.

I'm running out of power on my MacBook, so help if you can.

baglo
Have you got propane?
Old 08-10-2008, 10:27 PM   #25

Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
Arrow

I used one of the conversion links: 12 C = 53.6 F.

As Chester asked, do you have propane? If not, can you switch tanks? Switch tanks if you can do so and you are not getting propane. I believe you are getting heat when the fan is on, can you light the stove burners?

Good luck, pull out the woolies!

DesertHawk
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:33 PM   #26

British Columbia
Not sure what the problem was with the heater. The LED indicated "airflow" and maybe something else. Perhaps the wind was creating a vacumn on the exhaust side.

I don't know, but it appears to work now.

This will be my last message, unless I can talk the neighbor into letting me plug this MacBook into his generator. Should have brought the inverter from the company car.

We're warm, we've almost got the entire place to ourselves and the forecast is for 27 degrees C and sun.

Over and out.

baglo
Old 08-10-2008, 10:35 PM   #27

British Columbia
Have two full tanks and burners work just fine. Seems we're warm now.

baglo
Old 08-10-2008, 10:41 PM   #28

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
A low battery will also keep the furnace from working. If the fan isn't blowing hard enough the furnace won't light.