RAV and Toad - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2008, 06:47 PM   #21

Trailer: Boler 1984
The conversion chart I use is
http://www.unit-conversion.info/volume.html
You can convert almost everything.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 02:53 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
RAV and Toad, Day Six

We pulled up stakes at Moon Shadow this morning. Old Bag wanted to know what time we were leaving. She needs to relax. I said we'd leave when we were ready and we were in no rush.

We were heading for Lower Kane Lake, a forestry recreation site. Pretty much unorganized. A half dozen sites, a few picnic tables and a couple outhouses.

We were arriving just as others were leaving after the weekend and found an open site that was easy to access.

Old Bag failed her first test in directing me in backing. She stood immediately behind the trailer where I couldn't see her. After correcting that situation, I look in my rear view mirror to find that she is mesmerized by the view, somewhere off to the left. I can see we need a few more lessons.

And tit for tat, Old Bag says I leave the toilet seat up, just like at home. Just a few more lessons.

Got the propane fridge running and the heater going. There's a stiff breeze and it's cloudy and cold, although the forecast is for sun and warmth. Likely to be a change in the menu. It was to be cold chicken and salad. If the sun doesn't come out, it's gonna be pork chops and cob corn.

Next door neighbors are pulling out, leaving a nice pile of firewood behind. Their trip home will take about 15 minutes since the live up the next road off the highway.

With a change in the weather, I might even get the canoe in the water and do some fishing. Maybe I can hook that monster that ran straight at me shaking the hook, last time I was here.

I know just where to find him.

baglo
Old 08-10-2008, 08:07 PM   #23

We're freezing here, propane heater

It's 12 degrees celcius with a wind. I've started up the heater twice and had it run ( you can hear the fan ) but after the fan stops it does too.

I have a flashing LED, once every three seconds which indicates one thing or another but doesn't tell me what do do about it.

I'm running out of power on my MacBook, so help if you can.

baglo
Old 08-10-2008, 08:23 PM   #24

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
It's 12 degrees celcius with a wind. I've started up the heater twice and had it run ( you can hear the fan ) but after the fan stops it does too.

I have a flashing LED, once every three seconds which indicates one thing or another but doesn't tell me what do do about it.

I'm running out of power on my MacBook, so help if you can.

baglo
Have you got propane?
Old 08-10-2008, 09:27 PM   #25

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Arrow

I used one of the conversion links: 12 C = 53.6 F.

As Chester asked, do you have propane? If not, can you switch tanks? Switch tanks if you can do so and you are not getting propane. I believe you are getting heat when the fan is on, can you light the stove burners?

Good luck, pull out the woolies!

DesertHawk
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:33 PM   #26

Not sure what the problem was with the heater. The LED indicated "airflow" and maybe something else. Perhaps the wind was creating a vacumn on the exhaust side.

I don't know, but it appears to work now.

This will be my last message, unless I can talk the neighbor into letting me plug this MacBook into his generator. Should have brought the inverter from the company car.

We're warm, we've almost got the entire place to ourselves and the forecast is for 27 degrees C and sun.

Over and out.

baglo
Old 08-10-2008, 09:35 PM   #27

Have two full tanks and burners work just fine. Seems we're warm now.

baglo
Old 08-10-2008, 09:41 PM   #28

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
A low battery will also keep the furnace from working. If the fan isn't blowing hard enough the furnace won't light.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:09 PM   #29

We're back to no heat.

Last night furnace ran long enough to heat the trailer, then shut down. I left it switched on and some long time later it came on again ( which is a first ). By that time the temp was down quite a bit, so the thermostat should have switched it on earlier.

And when it shut down, it shut down and never came back on. Old Bag didn't complain that I was crowding her as we snuggled under the blankets.

There is a flashing LED which indicates, according to the manual, "Limit switch / airflow problems". However there's no explanation of what can be done about it if anything.

Anyway, we awoke to brilliant blue skies, a forecast high of 27 C. We are now one of two campers on the lake.

Drove into Merritt to charge my cell phone and pick up an inverter at Canadian Tire to run the MacBook.

Beagle, Charly, is having a wonderful time, working her nose overtime.

baglo
Old 08-11-2008, 01:29 PM   #30

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Quote:
We're back to no heat.

Last night furnace ran long enough to heat the trailer, then shut down. I left it switched on and some long time later it came on again ( which is a first ). By that time the temp was down quite a bit, so the thermostat should have switched it on earlier.

And when it shut down, it shut down and never came back on. Old Bag didn't complain that I was crowding her as we snuggled under the blankets.

There is a flashing LED which indicates, according to the manual, "Limit switch / airflow problems". However there's no explanation of what can be done about it if anything.

Anyway, we awoke to brilliant blue skies, a forecast high of 27 C. We are now one of two campers on the lake.

Drove into Merritt to charge my cell phone and pick up an inverter at Canadian Tire to run the MacBook.

Beagle, Charly, is having a wonderful time, working her nose overtime.

baglo
If your battery voltage is a little low the furnace fan will not turn fast enough to activate the air prove switch, sometimes called the sail switch. The fan has to be turning at least 75% of full speed for the switch to activate. If the air prove switch doesn't activate the fuel solenoid will not open and you will not get ignition. In most furnaces the fan will continue to run but you will just be recirculating cold air.

The limit switch is a thermal sensor, sometimes called a klix-on, attached to the burner housing. It opens if the burner housing gets too hot. That usually occurs if the fan isn't moving enough air around the housing or if airflow is blocked by something in front of the furnace.

Your battery voltage could have recovered enough for the furnace to start back up after a while if there was no other load on it. Then, after the furnace came back on the voltage could drop enough to let the fan get below 75% and off it goes again.

I'd keep an eye on the battery voltage. Troubleshooting hint: If you are running on the coach battery, plug it back in to the TV and run the engine in the TV. That should bring the battery voltage up enough to see if the furnace will run. Of course that's just a temp. test to see if it is a low voltage problem and it will only work if the 12V charge line in your TV is wired to the plug.

Hope this helps.
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:19 PM   #31

It appears the heater has to go to a shop for repair. Nothing I can do here. But, the weather has improved a lot. And if nothing else the fridge works great and my beer is cold.

baglo
Attached Thumbnails
me_and_mac_web.jpg   Toad_at_Kane_web.jpg  

Old 08-11-2008, 06:33 PM   #32

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Unhappy

27 C = 80.6 F

http://www.culturebridge.com/tools/metric.html

We are in Tucson, AZ and it is 36.7 C today. We would be sooo happy with it as cool as 27 C about now.

DesertHawk

2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:08 PM   #33

Quote:
The limit switch is a thermal sensor, sometimes called a klix-on, attached to the burner housing. It opens if the burner housing gets too hot. That usually occurs if the fan isn't moving enough air around the housing or if airflow is blocked by something in front of the furnace.
Orlen,

Many thanks. At least I now understand it, even if I can't fix it.
I hooked up the RAV and started the furnace without any problem. Went out to build a fire and later checked on it. The furnace had stopped and the LED was blinking. Earlier I opened up the grill and moved an instruction manual that says "DO NOT DETACH". I shifted it from where it was to between the grill and a solid metal plate so it could not be obstructing anything. Tammy has offered to make an appointment for me to enable a repair on our way back home. I'm just going to live with it for now since the Coleman lantern is fully capable of taking the chill off.

Again, thank you.

baglo
Old 08-11-2008, 10:26 PM   #34

The Old Bag took me by surprise when I first broached the subject of buying the Escape. She just said, "Lets" and then she did it again when I said I had to buy the RAV to tow it. "Do it", she said.

And now, after more than a week camping in the Escape, she wants to extend the trip by one more day which means the kid has to make her own way home from the airport after three weeks in Korea.

I think she is just enamoured with the thingy over the stove, the one with a light and a fan to extract cooking odors. We don't have one at home, which is why neither of us can think what it's called.

Tonight we had a campfire. The wood was provided by a neighbor who left yesterday. Beautiful, easy splitting rounds of lodge-pole pine. Dry and cured and loaded with resin.

I spent an hour on the lake seeing no evidence of fish. No bugs, no birds swooping over the water, but I did get to paddle my own canoe for the first time in a long time. Nothing feels better than making the canoe follow your bidding, even when the wind is fighting you.

Mostly we just read our books and basked in the sunshine, tempered by a breeze. Tomorrow, I'll load up the canoe and try another lake, one where I caught an eight-pound trout once. That thought should be enough to calm the ache in my shoulder.

baglo
Old 08-11-2008, 10:37 PM   #35

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Exclamation

Quote:
I think she is just enamoured with [b]the thingy over the stove, the one with a light and a fan to extract cooking odors. We don't have one at home, which is why neither of us can think what it's called.
What's in a name? I kind of like "The thingy over the stove"
Old 08-12-2008, 02:09 PM   #36

A few more pictures, including an impromptu egg convention. Two women, past 60, each with their own truck and vintage egg, one a Boler 17 and the other an elderly Bigfoot.

baglo
Attached Thumbnails
charly_dock_web.jpg   charly_talll_grass_web.jpg  

eggs_web.jpg  
Old 08-12-2008, 03:59 PM   #37
Commercial Member

Trailer: Escape Manufacturer
Quote:
A few more pictures, including an impromptu egg convention. Two women, past 60, each with their own truck and vintage egg, one a Boler 17 and the other an elderly Bigfoot.

baglo

The thingy over the stove is called a Rangehood.

Thank you for your wonderful postings. I am enjoying the read.

Tammy
Reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:34 PM   #38

We were sitting quietly, reading our books this afternoon. It had become overcast, but it was 22 C. and there was only a light breeze.

A loud cracking sound shattered the idyllic scene and then a thundering crash as a 100-foot aspen, with a trunk more than two feet in diameter hit the road past the campground.

After investigating, with our new neighbors, Sheila and Bev, who I remind you are in their sixties, Bev headed back to camp to grab her 16-inch Poulan chain saw to clear the road.

Back at the tree, I and several other bystanders ( because there was nothing else anyone could do ) managed to talk her out of tackling the job. She was rather miffed, having cut up lots of trees that size for firewood.

Sheila pointed out they only had a limited amount of gas for the saw and Bev finally relented.

Currently, we are being serenaded by the sound of a saw with a 42-inch bar, wielded by the campground host. Should take him an hour or two at most.

baglo
Attached Thumbnails
sheila_and_bev_web.jpg  
Old 08-12-2008, 05:47 PM   #39

Trailer: 1976 Trillium
Quote:

Sheila pointed out they only had a limited amount of gas for the saw and Bev finally relented.

Currently, we are being serenaded by the sound of a saw with a 42-inch bar, wielded by the campground host. Should take him an hour or two at most.

baglo
ah
the roar of the saw and
the sweet smell of chainsaw exhaust and oil,
the world needs more Bev's & Sheila's
Fran & Chuck Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:19 PM   #40

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Quote:
We were sitting quietly, reading our books this afternoon. It had become overcast, but it was 22 C. and there was only a light breeze.

A loud cracking sound shattered the idyllic scene and then a thundering crash as a 100-foot aspen, with a trunk more than two feet in diameter hit the road past the campground.

After investigating, with our new neighbors, Sheila and Bev, who I remind you are in their sixties, Bev headed back to camp to grab her 16-inch Poulan chain saw to clear the road.

Back at the tree, I and several other bystanders ( because there was nothing else anyone could do ) managed to talk her out of tackling the job. She was rather miffed, having cut up lots of trees that size for firewood.

baglo
No restrictions on chain saw use? Here on the coast we can only cut in the woods before 1 p.m., and we're just waiting until a couple more warm days shut down all motorized tools, including lawn mowers, within 100 metres of the forest. Sounds like you've had more rain than we have.
Sounds like a great trip though.
What brought the tree down?
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote