RAV and Toad - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-11-2008, 01:09 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Posts: 4,369
We're back to no heat.

Last night furnace ran long enough to heat the trailer, then shut down. I left it switched on and some long time later it came on again ( which is a first ). By that time the temp was down quite a bit, so the thermostat should have switched it on earlier.

And when it shut down, it shut down and never came back on. Old Bag didn't complain that I was crowding her as we snuggled under the blankets.

There is a flashing LED which indicates, according to the manual, "Limit switch / airflow problems". However there's no explanation of what can be done about it if anything.

Anyway, we awoke to brilliant blue skies, a forecast high of 27 C. We are now one of two campers on the lake.

Drove into Merritt to charge my cell phone and pick up an inverter at Canadian Tire to run the MacBook.

Beagle, Charly, is having a wonderful time, working her nose overtime.

baglo
__________________

__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:29 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Orlen Wolf's Avatar
 
Name: Orlen
Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Colorado
Posts: 312
Quote:
We're back to no heat.

Last night furnace ran long enough to heat the trailer, then shut down. I left it switched on and some long time later it came on again ( which is a first ). By that time the temp was down quite a bit, so the thermostat should have switched it on earlier.

And when it shut down, it shut down and never came back on. Old Bag didn't complain that I was crowding her as we snuggled under the blankets.

There is a flashing LED which indicates, according to the manual, "Limit switch / airflow problems". However there's no explanation of what can be done about it if anything.

Anyway, we awoke to brilliant blue skies, a forecast high of 27 C. We are now one of two campers on the lake.

Drove into Merritt to charge my cell phone and pick up an inverter at Canadian Tire to run the MacBook.

Beagle, Charly, is having a wonderful time, working her nose overtime.

baglo
If your battery voltage is a little low the furnace fan will not turn fast enough to activate the air prove switch, sometimes called the sail switch. The fan has to be turning at least 75% of full speed for the switch to activate. If the air prove switch doesn't activate the fuel solenoid will not open and you will not get ignition. In most furnaces the fan will continue to run but you will just be recirculating cold air.

The limit switch is a thermal sensor, sometimes called a klix-on, attached to the burner housing. It opens if the burner housing gets too hot. That usually occurs if the fan isn't moving enough air around the housing or if airflow is blocked by something in front of the furnace.

Your battery voltage could have recovered enough for the furnace to start back up after a while if there was no other load on it. Then, after the furnace came back on the voltage could drop enough to let the fan get below 75% and off it goes again.

I'd keep an eye on the battery voltage. Troubleshooting hint: If you are running on the coach battery, plug it back in to the TV and run the engine in the TV. That should bring the battery voltage up enough to see if the furnace will run. Of course that's just a temp. test to see if it is a low voltage problem and it will only work if the 12V charge line in your TV is wired to the plug.

Hope this helps.
__________________

__________________
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:19 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Posts: 4,369
It appears the heater has to go to a shop for repair. Nothing I can do here. But, the weather has improved a lot. And if nothing else the fridge works great and my beer is cold.

baglo
Attached Thumbnails
me_and_mac_web.jpg   Toad_at_Kane_web.jpg  

__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:33 PM   #32
Senior Member
 
Adrian W's Avatar
 
Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
Posts: 1,185
Unhappy

27 C = 80.6 F


http://www.culturebridge.com/tools/metric.html

We are in Tucson, AZ and it is 36.7 C today. We would be sooo happy with it as cool as 27 C about now.

DesertHawk

__________________
DesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
2015 Lance 1985 ~ Casita de Campo ~23' 4"
~Previously ~ 2005 16' Scamp
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:08 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Posts: 4,369
Quote:
The limit switch is a thermal sensor, sometimes called a klix-on, attached to the burner housing. It opens if the burner housing gets too hot. That usually occurs if the fan isn't moving enough air around the housing or if airflow is blocked by something in front of the furnace.
Orlen,

Many thanks. At least I now understand it, even if I can't fix it.
I hooked up the RAV and started the furnace without any problem. Went out to build a fire and later checked on it. The furnace had stopped and the LED was blinking. Earlier I opened up the grill and moved an instruction manual that says "DO NOT DETACH". I shifted it from where it was to between the grill and a solid metal plate so it could not be obstructing anything. Tammy has offered to make an appointment for me to enable a repair on our way back home. I'm just going to live with it for now since the Coleman lantern is fully capable of taking the chill off.

Again, thank you.

baglo
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:26 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Posts: 4,369
The Old Bag took me by surprise when I first broached the subject of buying the Escape. She just said, "Lets" and then she did it again when I said I had to buy the RAV to tow it. "Do it", she said.

And now, after more than a week camping in the Escape, she wants to extend the trip by one more day which means the kid has to make her own way home from the airport after three weeks in Korea.

I think she is just enamoured with the thingy over the stove, the one with a light and a fan to extract cooking odors. We don't have one at home, which is why neither of us can think what it's called.

Tonight we had a campfire. The wood was provided by a neighbor who left yesterday. Beautiful, easy splitting rounds of lodge-pole pine. Dry and cured and loaded with resin.

I spent an hour on the lake seeing no evidence of fish. No bugs, no birds swooping over the water, but I did get to paddle my own canoe for the first time in a long time. Nothing feels better than making the canoe follow your bidding, even when the wind is fighting you.

Mostly we just read our books and basked in the sunshine, tempered by a breeze. Tomorrow, I'll load up the canoe and try another lake, one where I caught an eight-pound trout once. That thought should be enough to calm the ache in my shoulder.

baglo
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:37 PM   #35
Moderator
 
Frederick L. Simson's Avatar
 
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Posts: 8,151
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Exclamation

Quote:
I think she is just enamoured with [b]the thingy over the stove, the one with a light and a fan to extract cooking odors. We don't have one at home, which is why neither of us can think what it's called.
What's in a name? I kind of like "The thingy over the stove"
__________________
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:09 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Posts: 4,369
A few more pictures, including an impromptu egg convention. Two women, past 60, each with their own truck and vintage egg, one a Boler 17 and the other an elderly Bigfoot.

baglo
Attached Thumbnails
charly_dock_web.jpg   charly_talll_grass_web.jpg  

eggs_web.jpg  
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 04:59 PM   #37
Commercial Member
 
Name: Reace
Trailer: Escape Manufacturer
Posts: 123
Quote:
A few more pictures, including an impromptu egg convention. Two women, past 60, each with their own truck and vintage egg, one a Boler 17 and the other an elderly Bigfoot.

baglo

The thingy over the stove is called a Rangehood.

Thank you for your wonderful postings. I am enjoying the read.

Tammy
__________________
Reace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 05:34 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Posts: 4,369
We were sitting quietly, reading our books this afternoon. It had become overcast, but it was 22 C. and there was only a light breeze.

A loud cracking sound shattered the idyllic scene and then a thundering crash as a 100-foot aspen, with a trunk more than two feet in diameter hit the road past the campground.

After investigating, with our new neighbors, Sheila and Bev, who I remind you are in their sixties, Bev headed back to camp to grab her 16-inch Poulan chain saw to clear the road.

Back at the tree, I and several other bystanders ( because there was nothing else anyone could do ) managed to talk her out of tackling the job. She was rather miffed, having cut up lots of trees that size for firewood.

Sheila pointed out they only had a limited amount of gas for the saw and Bev finally relented.

Currently, we are being serenaded by the sound of a saw with a 42-inch bar, wielded by the campground host. Should take him an hour or two at most.

baglo
Attached Thumbnails
sheila_and_bev_web.jpg  
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:47 PM   #39
Junior Member
 
Trailer: 1976 Trillium
Posts: 4
Quote:

Sheila pointed out they only had a limited amount of gas for the saw and Bev finally relented.

Currently, we are being serenaded by the sound of a saw with a 42-inch bar, wielded by the campground host. Should take him an hour or two at most.

baglo
ah
the roar of the saw and
the sweet smell of chainsaw exhaust and oil,
the world needs more Bev's & Sheila's
__________________
Fran & Chuck Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:19 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
Ian-Vicki's Avatar
 
Name: Ian or Vicki
Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Explorer Sport Trac
British Columbia
Posts: 437
Quote:
We were sitting quietly, reading our books this afternoon. It had become overcast, but it was 22 C. and there was only a light breeze.

A loud cracking sound shattered the idyllic scene and then a thundering crash as a 100-foot aspen, with a trunk more than two feet in diameter hit the road past the campground.

After investigating, with our new neighbors, Sheila and Bev, who I remind you are in their sixties, Bev headed back to camp to grab her 16-inch Poulan chain saw to clear the road.

Back at the tree, I and several other bystanders ( because there was nothing else anyone could do ) managed to talk her out of tackling the job. She was rather miffed, having cut up lots of trees that size for firewood.

Sheila pointed out they only had a limited amount of gas for the saw and Bev finally relented.

Currently, we are being serenaded by the sound of a saw with a 42-inch bar, wielded by the campground host. Should take him an hour or two at most.

baglo
No restrictions on chain saw use? Here on the coast we can only cut in the woods before 1 p.m., and we're just waiting until a couple more warm days shut down all motorized tools, including lawn mowers, within 100 metres of the forest. Sounds like you've had more rain than we have.
Sounds like a great trip though.
What brought the tree down?
cheers
Ian
__________________
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:19 PM   #41
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Posts: 4,369
Quote:
No restrictions on chain saw use? Here on the coast we can only cut in the woods before 1 p.m., and we're just waiting until a couple more warm days shut down all motorized tools, including lawn mowers, within 100 metres of the forest. Sounds like you've had more rain than we have.
Sounds like a great trip though.
What brought the tree down?
cheers
Ian
It simply got tired of standing and wanted to lay down for a bit.

baglo
__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:26 PM   #42
Senior Member
 
Glenn Baglo's Avatar
 
Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Posts: 4,369
RAV and Toad - last day before heading home

We've finally got the weather that's been promised for the last few days. Last night was comfortably warm, even with a heater that doesn't work.

This morning we woke to sunny blue skies laced with fluffy white clouds.

I spent most of the morning drinking coffee and pondering taking the canoe out for a little "fishing". Dragging a leech around a lake doesn't much appeal to me, but the water was mirror smooth, uninterrupted by rising fish, so there was no alternative.

Old Bag had gone for a long walk with our neighbor and Charly the beagle obviously didn't want to be left in the trailer. She got into the canoe without too much difficulty and we set off, those puffy clouds reflected in the lake.

Of course as soon as we got half way down the lake the wind picked up, but I wasn't concerned since it seems to change direction several times an hour.

And, I dragged that leech, and I anchored and retrieved that leech, and as I expected nothing happened. But, as we had the entire lake to ourselves, we could just sit and listen to the the breeze and the occasional rise that always seemed to happen behind us.

I'd brought three beer, but Charly brought none, not even some water. I had no alternative but to share, pouring a small puddle in the bottom of the canoe. She lapped eagerly, but pretty soon it appeared that she was approaching heat stroke, seeking shade where there was none and panting rapidly, so we returned to RAV and Toad to find the Old Bag desperate for a pee, thirsty and locked out. Actually, she locked herself out by turning night lock. All lessons in camping.

Next, I'll have to show her how to hitch Toad to the RAV, but first I'll have to teach her how to drive.

baglo


Attached Thumbnails
charly_fire_web.jpg   charly_fishing_web.jpg  

outhouse_web.jpg  
__________________

__________________
What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
Glenn Baglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Toad comes home Glenn Baglo General Chat 6 07-28-2008 02:50 PM
RAV and Toad Glenn Baglo General Chat 0 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.