RAV and Toad - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2008, 07:19 PM   #41

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
No restrictions on chain saw use? Here on the coast we can only cut in the woods before 1 p.m., and we're just waiting until a couple more warm days shut down all motorized tools, including lawn mowers, within 100 metres of the forest. Sounds like you've had more rain than we have.
Sounds like a great trip though.
What brought the tree down?
cheers
Ian
It simply got tired of standing and wanted to lay down for a bit.

baglo
Old 08-13-2008, 03:26 PM   #42

RAV and Toad - last day before heading home

We've finally got the weather that's been promised for the last few days. Last night was comfortably warm, even with a heater that doesn't work.

This morning we woke to sunny blue skies laced with fluffy white clouds.

I spent most of the morning drinking coffee and pondering taking the canoe out for a little "fishing". Dragging a leech around a lake doesn't much appeal to me, but the water was mirror smooth, uninterrupted by rising fish, so there was no alternative.

Old Bag had gone for a long walk with our neighbor and Charly the beagle obviously didn't want to be left in the trailer. She got into the canoe without too much difficulty and we set off, those puffy clouds reflected in the lake.

Of course as soon as we got half way down the lake the wind picked up, but I wasn't concerned since it seems to change direction several times an hour.

And, I dragged that leech, and I anchored and retrieved that leech, and as I expected nothing happened. But, as we had the entire lake to ourselves, we could just sit and listen to the the breeze and the occasional rise that always seemed to happen behind us.

I'd brought three beer, but Charly brought none, not even some water. I had no alternative but to share, pouring a small puddle in the bottom of the canoe. She lapped eagerly, but pretty soon it appeared that she was approaching heat stroke, seeking shade where there was none and panting rapidly, so we returned to RAV and Toad to find the Old Bag desperate for a pee, thirsty and locked out. Actually, she locked herself out by turning night lock. All lessons in camping.

Next, I'll have to show her how to hitch Toad to the RAV, but first I'll have to teach her how to drive.

baglo

Attached Thumbnails
charly_fire_web.jpg   charly_fishing_web.jpg  

outhouse_web.jpg  
Old 08-13-2008, 03:35 PM   #43

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
No restrictions on chain saw use? Here on the coast we can only cut in the woods before 1 p.m., and we're just waiting until a couple more warm days shut down all motorized tools, including lawn mowers, within 100 metres of the forest.
Even on the coasts, they make exceptions for trees that may be blocking the campground roads -- Quiet is nice, but so it being able to navigate the roads.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:57 PM   #44

RAV and Toad. Had to end with this picture.

Heading home tomorrow. Shot this this afternoon after Leslie ( the Old Bag ) pointed it out to me. First time I've actually got my Olympus 790 SW wet ( it's good to about 10 feet ).

baglo
Attached Thumbnails
GOOD_TOAD_WEB.jpg  
Old 08-13-2008, 07:20 PM   #45

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
[b]RAV and Toad. Had to end with this picture.

Heading home tomorrow. Shot this this afternoon after Leslie ( the Old Bag ) pointed it out to me. First time I've actually got my Olympus 790 SW wet ( it's good to about 10 feet ).

baglo
Kiss that Toad! Glenn thanks for sharing your beginning travels with all of us. I, for one, have really enjoyed living vicariously!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 08:35 PM   #46

Quote:
Kiss that Toad! Glenn thanks for sharing your beginning travels with all of us. I, for one, have really enjoyed living vicariously!
I know I said it was over, but there is an epilogue, and we haven't even left camp yet.

The Old Bag ( Leslie ) took the Garbage Bag ( Charly ) down to the lake. Charly is adverse to water. Gazing over the lake, the Old Bag noticed sudden movement out of the corner of her eye. Charly was in the lake. Garbage Bag turned toward Les just in time for Les to see the toad's hind leg disappear down Charly's throat.

I'm not sure if this is an omen or not. I sure hope she doesn't barf it up tonight since she sleeps at the foot of the bed.
Attached Thumbnails
charly_hunting_toad_web.jpg   charly_toading_web.jpg  

charly_toading_web.jpg  
Old 08-13-2008, 09:21 PM   #47

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Glenn... I was certain you "Toad" us you were on the "Last Leg" of your Trip
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:28 PM   #48

RAV AND TOAD - In conclusion

We're home and just sorting out Toad so I can leave with a buddy fishing in the morning.

Our Egg neighbors at Kane Lakes showed us a short cut to the Coquihalla Highway that saves distance and altitute. Probably cut 45 minutes off our trip and saved a lot of gas.

The 2008 RAV V6 and the Escape are a winning combination. Tows like a dream. On the freeway, I had a hard time keeping to the speed limit of 100 kph. Kept creeping up to 110. Hit 120 at one point passing a line of trucks going up hill. Had to get out of the way of cars doing 130.

Once, a semi passed us causing the canoe to shift six inches from the pressure wave. RAV and Toad didn't notice a thing.

Love RAV, love Toad, love my wife for letting this all happen and apparently enjoying it.

baglo
Old 08-14-2008, 10:17 PM   #49

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
[b]RAV and Toad. Had to end with this picture.

baglo
That would make a great graphic if it were enlarged enough to cover the whole rock guard over the front window.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:29 PM   #50

Quote:
That would make a great graphic if it were enlarged enough to cover the whole rock guard over the front window.
I like that. I'll have to look into it, but it would have to go over the back window because nobody would have time to see it with RAV and Toad in the fast lane.

baglo
Old 08-15-2008, 06:35 AM   #51

Registry
Hi: Glenn... It would be a fitting memorial too!!!
Thanks for the great stories and "Toad" experiences
p.s. I am dying to hear "The Rest of The Story" on the furnace???
Old 08-15-2008, 06:55 AM   #52

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
I like that. I'll have to look into it, but it would have to go over the back window

I don't know what material it is, but I've seen buses "wrapped" where you all you see is the picture from the outside and you can see out from the inside. Your picture would look great on the rear window.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:49 PM   #53

Registry
Hi: All I think the shrink wrap for our busses comes from 3M. The window film is like a microwave oven window... full of holes to see out but from a distance you can't see in!!!