Recommendations for the Florida Keys? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2017, 12:39 AM   #1

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
Question Recommendations for the Florida Keys?

I like to contemplate future trips and the Florida Keys would fit into the 3-4 year out category (it's a big trip from CA). Looks to me like some state parks would do rather nicely, Bahia Honda SP, and Long Key SP, and John Pennekamp Coral Reef SP. Reservations can be made 11 mo in advance so it's probably not a last minute type deal but being retired I can make long range schedules.
I'm thinking that spring is maybe the best time of year to go, supposing that mid-winter crowds may be gone and hot/humid hurricane season has not started yet. I will take my window-mount AC in any case.
From my location in CA the Keys in spring could fit well into a trip to Quartzsite AZ, followed by Mardis Gras in New Orleans and then the Keys.
Any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated, thanks.
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:17 AM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Doug,
You are correct that spring would be the best time. The Keys are overly crowded during the winter months. I would suggest (my opinion) that Bahia Honda is the prettiest place to camp. And definitely bring your A/C. I have needed to use mine at times in February. You will want it in late spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 01-05-2017, 11:24 AM   #3

Name: Gail
Trailer: 1975 Trillium & 2013 Escape 17B
North Carolina
Registry
Spring might be lovely. At Thanksgiving in Long Key SP several years ago the no-see-ums were still around and biting. We love Long Key SP, but haven't been to Bahia Honda since tenting back in the 70s. We hear it's great. Like you we would like to try it and/or Long Key in the early spring. As you make your way across, be sure to stop at Henderson Beach SP in Destin, FL.
Gail H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:32 AM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
The people at our Escape park go to Key West every October and stay in beautiful full service parks for $300 to 400 a month, a dramatically reduced rate.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:50 AM   #5

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
Book 11 months ahead and don't forgetyour wallet lol
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:57 AM   #6

Name: George
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Registry
Florida Keys

I love the Florida Keys ever since I first visited Bahia Honda in 1969. Try to stay there and get a site in the dunes. I also recommend John Pennekamp for the diving trips to see some great sea life. Don't be afraid to try some private campgrounds of which there are many in the Keys. One of my favorites is Big Pine Fishing campsite. That area is famous for Key deer mostly on No Name Key, don't miss the No Name key pub. I don't have to mention Key West. I also recommend visiting South Padre island while driving east. Don't over plan and leave some time for ad-hoc, you will meet lots of interesting travelers on your way!
jokra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco