Request Canada and Alaska Info - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-13-2010, 03:38 PM   #15

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
One option to consider, after touring Alaska and the Yukon, yu can travel south of Watson Lake on the Cassiar Hwy, till it meets Hwy #16, instead of going east to Prince George, and then south to Vancouver, you could, go west to Terrace, Prince Rupert and then, board the BC. Ferry system and travel south to Port Hardy in the northern portion of Vancouver Island. A variation of this, might be, travel south from Prince George, to Williams lake and then travel west to Bella Coola, one can have a shorter ferry trip from Bella Coola to Port Hardy, but I would vote for the trip between Prince Rupert and Port Hardy.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:27 PM   #16

Name: B & N
Trailer: View
Michigan
Registry
Thanks a bunch Carol, Scouter Bill and Kent -

Lots of great info to explore!

Anyone have experience taking ferry from Alaska to Vancouver? How much are we looking at to take the TrailBlazer, 17' EggCamper and two people?

Old 12-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #17

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Bill there is not a ferry that runs from Vancouver to Alaska. There is one that runs from Bellingham Washington - just an hours drive south of Vancover. The website and prices can be found here: Alaska Marine Highway Ferry System Reservation and Ticketing Agent The depends on where you get off but it can be as much as 67.20 per foot. So a rig such as mine 16`trailer and car total 32`to go from Bellingham to Juneau Alaska would be about $2000.00 plus another $326 for the driver. If you want a stateroom you would be looking at another $300-400.00.

Another option is to take a BC Ferry from Port Hardy on Vancouver Island to Prince Rupert - from Prince Rupert you can catch the Alaskan Ferry from Prince Rupert as it stops there as well. The trip from Port Hardy on Vancouver Island to Prince Rupert for my rig which is a total of 32`(car and 16`trailer) is $927 and includes the driver only.
The Alaskan Ferry cost 25.20 per foot to Juneau from Prince Rupert and another $141 for the driver.

The cheapest way would be to drive to Prince Rupert and catch the ferry from there.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:19 PM   #18

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Hi, former neighbor... we used to live around St. Johns, before moving to Okla. in 1991.

When I was young (11 or 12?) my parents bought a 22' Winnebago and we drove north through the Soo, along the north shore of Superior, then west to Calgary and into the Rockies. I have fond memories of seeing those snowy peaks get bigger and bigger as we drew close. We went to Lake Louise, but I thought greenish Emerald Lake was prettier. Dad heard about Takkakaw Falls nearby, so away we went up the gravel road, climbing through a series of switchbacks. They were so sharp he would have to go partway, back up (with the back end of the Winnie hanging out over nothing... no guardrails!) then go forward again. My mother about had a conniption, thought we were all gonna die. But the falls were fabulous, and we even managed to spend the night up there with the waterfall roaring nearby. I took my wife back there about 5 years ago, and happily they've improved the road... paved, hairpins not as sharp, and guardrails all the way. And no, we did not tow the trailer up that road!

I still want to get back there and take the icefields highway north of there. We didn't ever go that way... my folks continued west from Banff and we ended up at Bellevue, Washington where we visited my older brother, then drove back east through the US Rockies (which seemed bland in comparison to their Canadian counterparts). And on the later trip with my wife, she started feeling ill so we cut it short and headed south toward home. One of these days I hope to return to that area and spend some time exploring it better. But anyway, if you get over that way be sure to drive up and see Takkakaw Falls; it's a big 'un.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:24 AM   #19

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2010 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Registry
Another good Alaska & Canada camping book

We're planning a similar trek to Alaska. In addition to the "Milepost" book, which is great BTW, I found another terrific book on camping in Alaska. It is "Traveler's Guide to Alaskan Camping - Alaska and Yukon Camping with RV or Tent" by Mike and Terri Church. 5th addition. Very detailed and comprehsnsive. Lists both public and private CGs and lots of good local info and maps.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:47 PM   #20

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Robison View Post
This spring we were driving beside the Wyoming Wind River Range - set the cruise on 45 mph and enjoyed all the beautiful snowy peaks. We stayed in the snow at Fremont Lake - above Pinedale - the nat park was not open yet (May) but the ranger told us to have fun. Fremont Lake was still frozen to within about 150' of shore, during the night it re-froze all the way to shore. Next day was a leisurely drive to Jackson Hole - enjoyed rocky mountain sheep and antelope on the way with many stops...
Bill and Nancy
*Sigh* Love it there, we have spent a few weeks in that area. You travel the way we hope to when hubby retires.

We hope to go to Alaska too. Might buy a Guidepost to start dreaming.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:38 PM   #21

Michigan
Registry
Carol, Mike Jim and Lizbeth -

Wow! Thanks I love this! After Christmas we will be pouring over the maps. Great pointers, Carol.

We definitely want to find Takkakaw Falls - if we are within 100 miles or so.

I have a $10 gift card for a bookstore - guess I'll use it for "Traveler's Guide to Alaskan Camping".

I have not uploaded pic on this site - - but have some beautiful shots to share with you LIzbeth - maybe I'll make that my 'homework' tonight ;-)

Bill
Old 12-15-2010, 06:35 PM   #22

Michigan
Registry
Let's give this a try ...Lizbeth It was this beautiful drive beside the snowy mountains, that we set the cruise going about 40 to 45mph ;-)

If any pictures show up they start just south of the Wind River Range - over night in the middle of 'now where' in Wyoming - Fremont Lake in early May - over night south of Pinedale, WY it was down to 12 F that night.

Hope this works - 'cause I have many more...

Bill

(YEA!! It worked! Enjoy...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
*Sigh* Love it there, we have spent a few weeks in that area. You travel the way we hope to when hubby retires.

We hope to go to Alaska too. Might buy a Guidepost to start dreaming.
Attached Thumbnails
P1000560.jpg   P1000566.jpg  

P1000568.jpg   P1000558.jpg  

Old 12-15-2010, 06:46 PM   #23

Michigan
Registry
If I get reprimanded or kicked off the forum - I will blame Lizbeth ;-)

Here are a few more from Wyoming this past May...

Teton Range - Mormon Row, north of Jackson - big boar Griz - Huge Big Horn Sheep - - all made possible by the EggCamper ;-)

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
P1000617.jpg   P1000613.jpg  

P1000638.jpg   P1000863.jpg  

Old 12-15-2010, 06:56 PM   #24

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
Thanks Bill, everyone here loves pictures! We stayed at a friend's summer house north of Cora at the edge of the Bridger Wilderness. Drove the road to the Green River Lakes and spent several days fishing in the area. We enjoyed Pinedale, the general store is a hoot. The Mountain Man Museum was very interesting. Drove a road up above Freemont and could look down on it, very scenic! The next year we visited with our friend's again on our way to Glacier Park, came back through Yellowstone and Grand Teton parks. We moteled it because we were with my folks.

I truly love that area of the country but can't imagine spending winter there!
Old 12-16-2010, 01:22 PM   #25

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
One don't miss would be Liard Hot Springs provincial park in northern BC, I stopped there for 2 nights on the way up to Alaska this summer. It's a really unique place with hot springs bubbling up into large pools you can swim in.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:07 PM   #26

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
Some Links to Alaska Trips

A couple of links of Alaska Trips -

Fiberglass Trailers:
Casita Trip to Alaska
Ron's 2009 Alaska Trip

Other Trips:
Eagle 46 2008 Trip to Alaska
Sue's RV Adventures
Adventures in Our American Dream
Ginny's Adventure 2007
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:20 AM   #27

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Bill,

I drove to Alaska in 2006. I travelled up the Alaskan Highway and did the counter-clockwise tour. In other words I went straight through Tok to Fairbanks, down to Denali, on to Anchorage, out to Homer, back to Seward, past Anchorage, out past Wasilla/Palmer, on to Valdez and back to Tok & the Alaskan highway.

I headed back down the Alaskan Highway to Haines Junction where I turned southwest to Haines. I took the ferry from Haines to Juneau; Juneau to Sitka; Sitka to Petersburg; Petersburg to Ketchikan and Ketchikan to Prince Rupert, BC. I got off with the rig and camped at each stop.

I opted to get off at Prince Rupert and drive the Yellowhead highway to Prince George then south to home in California. I was ready to get off the ferry system at that point. However, my decision was based on the fact that I would have to change from the Alaskan Ferry system to BC Ferries, I think it was, and they are very pricey. My ferry expense from Haines to Prince Rupert, with all my on and offs, was slightly over $1,500 with my rig being about 28/29 feet in length. I have a Jeep Cherokee and 13 Scamp.

If you are interested in Vancouver Island the suggestion to change to BC Ferries at Prince Rupert and go to Port Hardy, Vancouver Island, is a great one. I did that trip going north some years ago and truly enjoyed it. In fact, I considered doing it on my trip in 2006 but figured I could always come back to BC another day and my Alaska trip was already over 3months without adding several weeks more on the Island.

The only camp reservations I made were, July 4th weekend in Anchorage and all of the ferry stops. The only one necessary was in Anchorage.
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:34 AM   #28

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
You've gotten some great tips . . . and I thought I'd toss in a plug for a few of my favorite spots: Yes, it's a long ride to go 'north of the lakes' but it's absolutely gorgeous and the road is in great shape and traffic is light. Lake Superior Provincial Park is gorgeous for a few hours or days. Wawa's a cute little town en route. If you've done the US side of this trip, consider the northern route at least once.

Drumheller, AB, is geographically interesting after you've made it across the prairie - and the dinosaur museum is amazing, and there's even a good Vietnamese restaurant in town. (Forgot the name, but trust me, there's only one!)

The Icefield's Parkway is spectacular, and easy to drive with a trailer - what more can you ask for from a roadtrip? Don't skip this, and do it south to north. Tunnel Mountain campground, in Banff, has great views of the local peaks and it's lovely, after a long x-canada drive, to spend a few days in a town with many coffee options & Roger's Chocolates. Wild Flour Bakery is delicious and affordable. Hit the hot springs while you're there to get the kinks out from driving across those prairies! Or stay in Jasper and hit the Miette Hot Springs for even hotter water. The campgrounds on this route are huge & popular, but it's such big country -- it never feels as slammed as, say, Yellowstone in July. To me, anyway. Park at the lodge in Lake Louise and walk to the teahouse(s) - the Beehive is short & steep, and the Plain of 6 Glaciers is longer & more gradual - both give you a huge bang for the buck - a little walking gets you an alpine experience, with snacks

I'm in Boston, married to a former Calgarian, and I've done two 7k small-camper road trips across the US & Canada in the past three years. For me, nothing beats the Canadian Rockies. The provincial park system in Canada is great, so I've never camped on the roadside - just planned my routes between parks. Remember to never let your tank get below a quarter, and that the Tim Horton's in remote small towns are mobbed on national holidays! They might as well be tollbooths, since everyone seems to stop Enjoy your trip!

Photo of me (Uhaul) & my folks (FunFinder) on a cloudy day - near the Athabasca Glacier.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5348.jpg