Request Canada and Alaska Info - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-26-2010, 10:25 AM   #29

Name: B & N
Trailer: View
Michigan
Registry
Thanks Thomas, Jon, Joy and Julia !

Everyone on this board is great! I love when you share some of you favorite spots - like Julia. Also, thanks for the pic - it adds a nice 'flavor' to your story ;-)

Love the links to other Alaska trips - I will read them all.

Merry Christmas to all!

Bill

Old 12-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #30

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2007 Bigfoot 25' Rear Queen
Oregon
Registry
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Robison View Post
Kent - thanks for your response it should help me fill in some voids...

We do live in Michigan and have traveled extensively to the mountain states in the US. We are thinking of extending those travels into the Canadian Rockies - - and beyond to Alaska. Don't plan on making it a quick trip - we love poking along and checking out beautiful side roads when and if they are available.

This spring we were driving beside the Wyoming Wind River Range - set the cruise on 45 mph and enjoyed all the beautiful snowy peaks. We stayed in the snow at Fremont Lake - above Pinedale - the nat park was not open yet (May) but the ranger told us to have fun. Fremont Lake was still frozen to within about 150' of shore, during the night it re-froze all the way to shore. Next day was a leisurely drive to Jackson Hole - enjoyed rocky mountain sheep and antelope on the way with many stops...

That's pretty much how we like to travel and would like to do the same in Canada, but not sure what is allowed and not allowed. Most likely we would take the TransCanada highway all the way to Alaska, but again that is open for discussion - literally. Is there a better or different way to go from - - let's say, North Dakota to Alaska?

We like 'rocks and trees' - IF they are inspiring and pretty with snow and waterfalls mixed in ;-)

Again, we don't travel fast and like to see exception sites that most 'tourists' would miss. We also like a really good meal along the way - I know some of you have found your favorite, fish, steak or burger - don't keep it a secret!

Bill and Nancy
"set the cruise on 45 mph"... I hope that the highway that you were on had a 45 mph speed limit. If not, I hope that you kept an eye on your side mirrors for "vehicle stackup" while you were driving so slow. It's illegal to hold up a certain number of vehicles in most states. There are few aggrevations more than following a slow moving vehicle 15-20 mph below the speed limit.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #31

Michigan
Registry
LOL - - My cup is 'half-full' rather than 'half-empty' - - not sure how one minor aspect of my comments got generalized to mean that I drive 45 MPH on MAIN highways, such as interstates (lets say)??? If one were to read my comments in the context in which they were given - it would be obvious that I was stating a *preference* for traveling manner not how I drive *all the time*.

Ron, I guess you have not driven the 200 mile stretch on WY189 from I-80 meandering to parts north toward Hoback in the beginning of May - - cold, desolate, lonely, forsaken - - it is literally in the middle of nowhere! You are lucky to see a homestead or a vehicle in each 30-50 miles of road. It's just the way we love to travel to take advantage of the scenery! We seek out such 'back road' routes.

Yes, I watch my mirrors, and use emergency flashers when necessary - - yes, I am aware of posted speed limits - - "vehicle stack-up" not in a million years out there - - the speed limit was posted at 55 mph, but no vehicles to care - or matter - that is why we choose route WY189 in the first place ;-)

No harm done - - focus on the positive things in life ;-)

Happy Trails to you...

Bill
Old 12-28-2010, 02:40 PM   #32

Michigan
Registry
"Two roads diverged into the wood and I - I took the one less traveled by."

;-)
Old 12-28-2010, 03:13 PM   #33

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2007 Bigfoot 25' Rear Queen
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Robison View Post
LOL - - My cup is 'half-full' rather than 'half-empty' - - not sure how one minor aspect of my comments got generalized to mean that I drive 45 MPH on MAIN highways, such as interstates (lets say)??? If one were to read my comments in the context in which they were given - it would be obvious that I was stating a *preference* for traveling manner not how I drive *all the time*.

Ron, I guess you have not driven the 200 mile stretch on WY189 from I-80 meandering to parts north toward Hoback in the beginning of May - - cold, desolate, lonely, forsaken - - it is literally in the middle of nowhere! You are lucky to see a homestead or a vehicle in each 30-50 miles of road. It's just the way we love to travel to take advantage of the scenery! We seek out such 'back road' routes.

Yes, I watch my mirrors, and use emergency flashers when necessary - - yes, I am aware of posted speed limits - - "vehicle stack-up" not in a million years out there - - the speed limit was posted at 55 mph, but no vehicles to care - or matter - that is why we choose route WY189 in the first place ;-)

No harm done - - focus on the positive things in life ;-)

Happy Trails to you...

Bill
I'm going to have to learn how to be less "direct" with my comments as I am not a mean-spirited person. I envy your situation of traveling and stopping whenever and wherever you wish. I'm 64 years old and am at work right now slaving away to pay for that Bigfoot that I have in the storage lot. Like many "boomers", I may have to work every day until I'm no longer able to get out of bed. It's a sad situation what our economy has done to us older Americans.

Ron
Old 12-28-2010, 07:51 PM   #34

Michigan
Registry
Ron -

Like I said, "No harm done..."

I've been known to be 'direct' in my life - - a time or two ;-)

I know what you mean about the economy - - keep yer chin up! Like the song says - - "Don't worry, be happy - every little things' gonna be alright". I'm soon to be 66 and didn't think I would be able to enjoy times like these, but God has been very good to us - hope He is to you as well!

Keep workin' - keep writin' - for sure keep dreamin'!!

Bill
Old 01-05-2011, 10:47 PM   #35

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft 2008
thanks...will do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent I View Post
One option to consider, after touring Alaska and the Yukon, yu can travel south of Watson Lake on the Cassiar Hwy, till it meets Hwy #16, instead of going east to Prince George, and then south to Vancouver, you could, go west to Terrace, Prince Rupert and then, board the BC. Ferry system and travel south to Port Hardy in the northern portion of Vancouver Island.
Thanks again ... That is definitely the route we will go for!! It has been rated as one of the top scenic drives in N.A. and should be an easier drive now that it has been almost completely hard-topped.

scouter -- bill
Old 01-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #36

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe (hatched June 2009)
Canada/Alaska adventure

Bill...when are planning on going...I have been in the planning process for the last 5 months....this thread has really been helpful..I plan on crossing the border(somewhere) the last of May and returning sometime in Sept......maybe we can compare routes when we get in some sort of final product......Horst
Old 01-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #37

Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horst K. View Post
Bill...when are planning on going...I have been in the planning process for the last 5 months....this thread has really been helpful..I plan on crossing the border(somewhere) the last of May and returning sometime in Sept......maybe we can compare routes when we get in some sort of final product......Horst
Horst -

I have also enjoyed the wealth of info shared by our forum friends - much more than I had expected! Our trip to Alaska is not until spring/summer 2012, unfortunately. My cousin lives in Fairbanks during warm weather - Utah during winter. Her folks are planning to be with them this year - he is retired Air Force Col. about 88 years young - so it will most likely be their last trip to Alaska (from Jackson Hole, WY). We don't want to be in their way this year, which is the only reason for delaying our trip.

This past spring we toured through Colorado, Utah, Wyoming and then back to Michigan. (Visited/camped with my cousin in Utah for the first time in 34 years!) We enjoyed it so much we might do something similar spring of 2011 - so if you folks will be out touring let us know! We haven't been in Texas much, so it's possible that *could* be included in this years route? We tend to be semi-spontaneous travelers, i.e. always well prepared, but not *exactly* sure of our route - and it can change at a moments notice. Seems we have always had great trips by sticking solidly to that travel plan ;-)

Looks like you folks will make it to Alaska before us, if all goes according to plan - so you will be 'breaking trail' - stay in touch and we will see what happens!

Bill
Old 01-11-2011, 08:31 PM   #38

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe (hatched June 2009)
Bill..I will stay in touch....I just hope nothing pops that will prevent me from going on this adventure....Later Horst