Request Canada and Alaska Info - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Camping, Campout Reports
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-15-2010, 05:38 PM   #21

Trailer: Eggcamper
Registry
Carol, Mike Jim and Lizbeth -

Wow! Thanks I love this! After Christmas we will be pouring over the maps. Great pointers, Carol.

We definitely want to find Takkakaw Falls - if we are within 100 miles or so.

I have a $10 gift card for a bookstore - guess I'll use it for "Traveler's Guide to Alaskan Camping".

I have not uploaded pic on this site - - but have some beautiful shots to share with you LIzbeth - maybe I'll make that my 'homework' tonight ;-)

Bill
Old 12-15-2010, 06:35 PM   #22

Registry
Let's give this a try ...Lizbeth It was this beautiful drive beside the snowy mountains, that we set the cruise going about 40 to 45mph ;-)

If any pictures show up they start just south of the Wind River Range - over night in the middle of 'now where' in Wyoming - Fremont Lake in early May - over night south of Pinedale, WY it was down to 12º F that night.

Hope this works - 'cause I have many more...

Bill

(YEA!! It worked! Enjoy...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
*Sigh* Love it there, we have spent a few weeks in that area. You travel the way we hope to when hubby retires.

We hope to go to Alaska too. Might buy a Guidepost to start dreaming.
Attached Thumbnails
P1000560.jpg   P1000566.jpg  

P1000568.jpg   P1000558.jpg  

Old 12-15-2010, 06:46 PM   #23

Registry
If I get reprimanded or kicked off the forum - I will blame Lizbeth ;-)

Here are a few more from Wyoming this past May...

Teton Range - Mormon Row, north of Jackson - big boar Griz - Huge Big Horn Sheep - - all made possible by the EggCamper ;-)

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
P1000617.jpg   P1000613.jpg  

P1000638.jpg   P1000863.jpg  

Old 12-15-2010, 06:56 PM   #24

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Thanks Bill, everyone here loves pictures! We stayed at a friend's summer house north of Cora at the edge of the Bridger Wilderness. Drove the road to the Green River Lakes and spent several days fishing in the area. We enjoyed Pinedale, the general store is a hoot. The Mountain Man Museum was very interesting. Drove a road up above Freemont and could look down on it, very scenic! The next year we visited with our friend's again on our way to Glacier Park, came back through Yellowstone and Grand Teton parks. We moteled it because we were with my folks.

I truly love that area of the country but can't imagine spending winter there!
Old 12-16-2010, 01:22 PM   #25

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
One don't miss would be Liard Hot Springs provincial park in northern BC, I stopped there for 2 nights on the way up to Alaska this summer. It's a really unique place with hot springs bubbling up into large pools you can swim in.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:07 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Some Links to Alaska Trips

A couple of links of Alaska Trips -

Fiberglass Trailers:
Casita Trip to Alaska
Ron's 2009 Alaska Trip

Other Trips:
Eagle 46 2008 Trip to Alaska
Sue's RV Adventures
Adventures in Our American Dream
Ginny's Adventure 2007
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:20 AM   #27

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Bill,

I drove to Alaska in 2006. I travelled up the Alaskan Highway and did the counter-clockwise tour. In other words I went straight through Tok to Fairbanks, down to Denali, on to Anchorage, out to Homer, back to Seward, past Anchorage, out past Wasilla/Palmer, on to Valdez and back to Tok & the Alaskan highway.

I headed back down the Alaskan Highway to Haines Junction where I turned southwest to Haines. I took the ferry from Haines to Juneau; Juneau to Sitka; Sitka to Petersburg; Petersburg to Ketchikan and Ketchikan to Prince Rupert, BC. I got off with the rig and camped at each stop.

I opted to get off at Prince Rupert and drive the Yellowhead highway to Prince George then south to home in California. I was ready to get off the ferry system at that point. However, my decision was based on the fact that I would have to change from the Alaskan Ferry system to BC Ferries, I think it was, and they are very pricey. My ferry expense from Haines to Prince Rupert, with all my on and offs, was slightly over $1,500 with my rig being about 28/29 feet in length. I have a Jeep Cherokee and 13 Scamp.

If you are interested in Vancouver Island the suggestion to change to BC Ferries at Prince Rupert and go to Port Hardy, Vancouver Island, is a great one. I did that trip going north some years ago and truly enjoyed it. In fact, I considered doing it on my trip in 2006 but figured I could always come back to BC another day and my Alaska trip was already over 3months without adding several weeks more on the Island.

The only camp reservations I made were, July 4th weekend in Anchorage and all of the ferry stops. The only one necessary was in Anchorage.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:34 AM   #28

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
You've gotten some great tips . . . and I thought I'd toss in a plug for a few of my favorite spots: Yes, it's a long ride to go 'north of the lakes' but it's absolutely gorgeous and the road is in great shape and traffic is light. Lake Superior Provincial Park is gorgeous for a few hours or days. Wawa's a cute little town en route. If you've done the US side of this trip, consider the northern route at least once.

Drumheller, AB, is geographically interesting after you've made it across the prairie - and the dinosaur museum is amazing, and there's even a good Vietnamese restaurant in town. (Forgot the name, but trust me, there's only one!)

The Icefield's Parkway is spectacular, and easy to drive with a trailer - what more can you ask for from a roadtrip? Don't skip this, and do it south to north. Tunnel Mountain campground, in Banff, has great views of the local peaks and it's lovely, after a long x-canada drive, to spend a few days in a town with many coffee options & Roger's Chocolates. Wild Flour Bakery is delicious and affordable. Hit the hot springs while you're there to get the kinks out from driving across those prairies! Or stay in Jasper and hit the Miette Hot Springs for even hotter water. The campgrounds on this route are huge & popular, but it's such big country -- it never feels as slammed as, say, Yellowstone in July. To me, anyway. Park at the lodge in Lake Louise and walk to the teahouse(s) - the Beehive is short & steep, and the Plain of 6 Glaciers is longer & more gradual - both give you a huge bang for the buck - a little walking gets you an alpine experience, with snacks

I'm in Boston, married to a former Calgarian, and I've done two 7k small-camper road trips across the US & Canada in the past three years. For me, nothing beats the Canadian Rockies. The provincial park system in Canada is great, so I've never camped on the roadside - just planned my routes between parks. Remember to never let your tank get below a quarter, and that the Tim Horton's in remote small towns are mobbed on national holidays! They might as well be tollbooths, since everyone seems to stop Enjoy your trip!

Photo of me (Uhaul) & my folks (FunFinder) on a cloudy day - near the Athabasca Glacier.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5348.jpg  
Julia O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:25 AM   #29

Registry
Thanks Thomas, Jon, Joy and Julia !

Everyone on this board is great! I love when you share some of you favorite spots - like Julia. Also, thanks for the pic - it adds a nice 'flavor' to your story ;-)

Love the links to other Alaska trips - I will read them all.

Merry Christmas to all!

Bill
Old 12-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #30

Trailer: 2007 17.5 ft Bigfoot (25B17.5G)
Registry
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Robison View Post
Kent - thanks for your response it should help me fill in some voids...

We do live in Michigan and have traveled extensively to the mountain states in the US. We are thinking of extending those travels into the Canadian Rockies - - and beyond to Alaska. Don't plan on making it a quick trip - we love poking along and checking out beautiful side roads when and if they are available.

This spring we were driving beside the Wyoming Wind River Range - set the cruise on 45 mph and enjoyed all the beautiful snowy peaks. We stayed in the snow at Fremont Lake - above Pinedale - the nat park was not open yet (May) but the ranger told us to have fun. Fremont Lake was still frozen to within about 150' of shore, during the night it re-froze all the way to shore. Next day was a leisurely drive to Jackson Hole - enjoyed rocky mountain sheep and antelope on the way with many stops...

That's pretty much how we like to travel and would like to do the same in Canada, but not sure what is allowed and not allowed. Most likely we would take the TransCanada highway all the way to Alaska, but again that is open for discussion - literally. Is there a better or different way to go from - - let's say, North Dakota to Alaska?

We like 'rocks and trees' - IF they are inspiring and pretty with snow and waterfalls mixed in ;-)

Again, we don't travel fast and like to see exception sites that most 'tourists' would miss. We also like a really good meal along the way - I know some of you have found your favorite, fish, steak or burger - don't keep it a secret!

Bill and Nancy
"set the cruise on 45 mph"... I hope that the highway that you were on had a 45 mph speed limit. If not, I hope that you kept an eye on your side mirrors for "vehicle stackup" while you were driving so slow. It's illegal to hold up a certain number of vehicles in most states. There are few aggrevations more than following a slow moving vehicle 15-20 mph below the speed limit.
Ron N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #31

Registry
LOL - - My cup is 'half-full' rather than 'half-empty' - - not sure how one minor aspect of my comments got generalized to mean that I drive 45 MPH on MAIN highways, such as interstates (lets say)??? If one were to read my comments in the context in which they were given - it would be obvious that I was stating a *preference* for traveling manner not how I drive *all the time*.

Ron, I guess you have not driven the 200 mile stretch on WY189 from I-80 meandering to parts north toward Hoback in the beginning of May - - cold, desolate, lonely, forsaken - - it is literally in the middle of nowhere! You are lucky to see a homestead or a vehicle in each 30-50 miles of road. It's just the way we love to travel to take advantage of the scenery! We seek out such 'back road' routes.

Yes, I watch my mirrors, and use emergency flashers when necessary - - yes, I am aware of posted speed limits - - "vehicle stack-up" not in a million years out there - - the speed limit was posted at 55 mph, but no vehicles to care - or matter - that is why we choose route WY189 in the first place ;-)

No harm done - - focus on the positive things in life ;-)

Happy Trails to you...

Bill
Old 12-28-2010, 02:40 PM   #32

Registry
"Two roads diverged into the wood and I - I took the one less traveled by."

;-)
Old 12-28-2010, 03:13 PM   #33

Trailer: 2007 17.5 ft Bigfoot (25B17.5G)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Robison View Post
LOL - - My cup is 'half-full' rather than 'half-empty' - - not sure how one minor aspect of my comments got generalized to mean that I drive 45 MPH on MAIN highways, such as interstates (lets say)??? If one were to read my comments in the context in which they were given - it would be obvious that I was stating a *preference* for traveling manner not how I drive *all the time*.

Ron, I guess you have not driven the 200 mile stretch on WY189 from I-80 meandering to parts north toward Hoback in the beginning of May - - cold, desolate, lonely, forsaken - - it is literally in the middle of nowhere! You are lucky to see a homestead or a vehicle in each 30-50 miles of road. It's just the way we love to travel to take advantage of the scenery! We seek out such 'back road' routes.

Yes, I watch my mirrors, and use emergency flashers when necessary - - yes, I am aware of posted speed limits - - "vehicle stack-up" not in a million years out there - - the speed limit was posted at 55 mph, but no vehicles to care - or matter - that is why we choose route WY189 in the first place ;-)

No harm done - - focus on the positive things in life ;-)

Happy Trails to you...

Bill
I'm going to have to learn how to be less "direct" with my comments as I am not a mean-spirited person. I envy your situation of traveling and stopping whenever and wherever you wish. I'm 64 years old and am at work right now slaving away to pay for that Bigfoot that I have in the storage lot. Like many "boomers", I may have to work every day until I'm no longer able to get out of bed. It's a sad situation what our economy has done to us older Americans.

Ron
Ron N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:51 PM   #34

Registry
Ron -

Like I said, "No harm done..."

I've been known to be 'direct' in my life - - a time or two ;-)

I know what you mean about the economy - - keep yer chin up! Like the song says - - "Don't worry, be happy - every little things' gonna be alright". I'm soon to be 66 and didn't think I would be able to enjoy times like these, but God has been very good to us - hope He is to you as well!

Keep workin' - keep writin' - for sure keep dreamin'!!

Bill
Old 01-05-2011, 10:47 PM   #35

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft 2008
thanks...will do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent I View Post
One option to consider, after touring Alaska and the Yukon, yu can travel south of Watson Lake on the Cassiar Hwy, till it meets Hwy #16, instead of going east to Prince George, and then south to Vancouver, you could, go west to Terrace, Prince Rupert and then, board the BC. Ferry system and travel south to Port Hardy in the northern portion of Vancouver Island.
Thanks again ... That is definitely the route we will go for!! It has been rated as one of the top scenic drives in N.A. and should be an easier drive now that it has been almost completely hard-topped.

scouter -- bill
scouterbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #36

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe (hatched June 2009)
Canada/Alaska adventure

Bill...when are planning on going...I have been in the planning process for the last 5 months....this thread has really been helpful..I plan on crossing the border(somewhere) the last of May and returning sometime in Sept......maybe we can compare routes when we get in some sort of final product......Horst
Horst K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #37

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horst K. View Post
Bill...when are planning on going...I have been in the planning process for the last 5 months....this thread has really been helpful..I plan on crossing the border(somewhere) the last of May and returning sometime in Sept......maybe we can compare routes when we get in some sort of final product......Horst
Horst -

I have also enjoyed the wealth of info shared by our forum friends - much more than I had expected! Our trip to Alaska is not until spring/summer 2012, unfortunately. My cousin lives in Fairbanks during warm weather - Utah during winter. Her folks are planning to be with them this year - he is retired Air Force Col. about 88 years young - so it will most likely be their last trip to Alaska (from Jackson Hole, WY). We don't want to be in their way this year, which is the only reason for delaying our trip.

This past spring we toured through Colorado, Utah, Wyoming and then back to Michigan. (Visited/camped with my cousin in Utah for the first time in 34 years!) We enjoyed it so much we might do something similar spring of 2011 - so if you folks will be out touring let us know! We haven't been in Texas much, so it's possible that *could* be included in this years route? We tend to be semi-spontaneous travelers, i.e. always well prepared, but not *exactly* sure of our route - and it can change at a moments notice. Seems we have always had great trips by sticking solidly to that travel plan ;-)

Looks like you folks will make it to Alaska before us, if all goes according to plan - so you will be 'breaking trail' - stay in touch and we will see what happens!

Bill
Old 01-11-2011, 08:31 PM   #38

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe (hatched June 2009)
Bill..I will stay in touch....I just hope nothing pops that will prevent me from going on this adventure....Later Horst
Horst K. is offline   Reply With Quote