Rest Area? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2007, 03:01 PM   #21

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
We did the "drive till ya drop then pull over at a rest stop" thing for one trip - then we decided never to do it again. No harrowing stories - but here's why:

It's stressful, miserable and not very relaxing. I'm not talking about the rest stops - but the whole "drive till ya drop" part! This IS supposed to be a vacation after all...

Security concerns. I'm not gonna walk into the handgun debate. I'll just say this: If I'm parked somewhere I feel I'd need a gun to be safe... I'm not staying.

My wife was especially "impressed" at the one Flying J where they had these little bitty video viewing rooms...

On the other hand - it DID save time and an appreciable amount of cash.

Course... There W A S that one morning at the rest stop. I woke up to the sound of what I was sure was some gentleman relieving himself on the side of the trailer. I was initially irritated, then terribly impressed by his apparent level of bladder control (kinda like the rethawing scene in the first Austin Powers movie...). T-H-E-N I realized that the automated sprinkler system had been activated and we were in the firing line.
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 07:31 PM   #22

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Bob, over the years we've probably hit darn near every rest area on I-95 from NC to the Keys and have overnighted in many of them without a problem. I'm sure we're in a minority here but our style of travel has always been to push as hard as possible both going and coming so as to maximize the time at our destination. Its not so much the money as it is the ability to get in and out quickly that makes rest areas our first choice. Each year we take a 10-14 day trip usually totalling 5k+ miles roundtrip and seldom spend more than one night on the road each way. Maybe when we've retired and have more disposable time, this will change.

Having said that, I do prefer a well lighted rest area with 24 hr security but have no problem parking among the big rigs wherever they might be. During my world tour with Uncle Sam in 69-70 I learned to sleep in pretty much any conditions and my wife seems to have developed that same talent(?) after many years of on call duty in the OR.

My vote is for the rest areas if you're comfortable in that environment - Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 09:24 PM   #23

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scampless in Oregon
Oregon
Well.... I've been camping since the late '50's..... tents, vans, trailers.... whatever. Have always packed a gun. Always carried insurance too.... Lol, never used either.... but have each in the "ready mode!"
For those of you who feel that you can call 911 to save you from some sort of horrible circumstance..... well, best of luck!
I personally don't trust others to "save me" from the bad guys..... LOL, by calling 911??? Honestly, that is so funny!!
Take care of yourselves folks!
And for those of you who feel like "safety" is only a phone call away..... good luck and...LoL!!
jack smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:33 AM   #24

Trailer: 86 Burro 17 ft Widebody
Elderly Man Beaten To Death At Turnpike Rest Stop
6:58 a.m. EDT March 15, 2007
NEW YORK - New Jersey state police are investigating the murder of a 76-year-old man at a N.J. Turnpike rest stop on Thursday. Newschannel 4's Brian Thompson reported that the elderly victim and and his caretaker had stopped at the James Fennimore Cooper Service Plaza in Mt. Laurel near exit 7 on their way to New York shortly after midnight.
Police said a 26-year-old man approached the unidentified victim, tried to sell him a religious recording and beat him to death before fleeing north on the Turnpike. Police pursued the suspect on a high-speed chase to Route 80 west in Teaneck, where he crashed his car and was arrested.
Rick F. D. is offline   Reply With Quote