RV Campsites in Southern California with hook ups? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #1

Name: Robert and Laura
Trailer: September 2012: New proud owners of a 2010 Casita SD
California
RV Campsites in Southern California with hook ups?

We just recently purchased a 2010 Casita SD. We went to Crystal Cove in Laguna, great place. However, we can't seem to find many places in San Diego not far from the beach area with hook ups...at least electricity. Can't seem to find campsite recommendations in this forum, maybe we're looking in the wrong places? If anyone can help with recommendations, let us know. We found "Campland" near Mission Bay San Diego and then googled it to find horror stories on Yelp. Uch. Same thing with some other private campgrounds. Only ones that seem safe and good are the State Parks and beaches but most have no hook ups. Can anyone help with advice? Is there a good place to look for reliable opinions on campsites in this area? Thanks for your help!!
Robert and Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Post Names in RED are *waterfront* properties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert and Laura View Post
However, we can't seem to find many places in San Diego not far from the beach area with hook ups...at least electricity.
I know Federal Campgrounds, and State Campgrounds do not have hookups, while County Campgrounds as well as Privately Owned Campgrounds do have hookups. I have a list of San Diego County Campgrounds that are either close to the ocean, or are not too far inland. There are others that are farther inland than Santee Lakes, which is considered a County property... *not near the Ocean, but near water (a lake)

SILVER STRAND STATE BEACH
5000 Highway 75, Coronado (619) 435-5184
Silver Strand SB

SWEETWATER SUMMIT CAMPGROUND COUNTY PARK
3218 Summit Meadow Road, Bonita (877) 565-3600
http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/parks/cam...weetwater.html

CAMPLAND ON THE BAY
2211 Pacific Beach Drive, San Diego (858) 581-4200
Campland on the Bay, San Diego Camping, San Diego's Best Campground, RV, Tents

MISSION BAY RV RESORT at De Anza Cove
2727 De Anza Road, San Diego, CA 92109 (877) 219-6900
mission bay rv resort.com

CHULA VISTA RV RESORT
460 Sandpiper Way, Chula Vista (800) 770-2878
San Diego RV Parks Resorts Camping Campgrounds

LA PACIFICA RV RESORT
1010 West San Ysidro Boulevard, San Diego (619) 428-4411
La Pacifica RV Resort Park, San Diego, CA 92173

SAN DIEGO METRO KOA
111 N 2nd Ave, Chula Vista (800) 562-9877
San Diego Metro KOA | Camping in California | KOA Campgrounds

SAN DIEGO RV RESORT
7407 Alvarado Road, La Mesa (877) 787-6386
San Diego RV Resort & RV Park | RV Park Resort in La Mesa, California - San Diego Area

SANTA FE PARK
5707 Santa Fe Street, San Diego (800) 959-3787
Santa Fe RV Park Resort Home

SAN ELIJO STATE BEACH
South Coast Highway (101), Encinitas, CA (760) 753-5091
San Elijo SB

SANTEE LAKES REGIONAL PARK*
9310 Fanita Parkway, Santee, CA 92071 (619) 596-3141
http://www.santeelakes.com/campinghome.htm

SOUTH CARLSBAD STATE BEACH
7201 Carlsbad Boulevard, Carlsbad, CA 92008 (760) 438-3143
South Carlsbad SB

BERNADO SHORES RV PARK
500 Highway 75, Imperial Beach, CA 91932 (619) 429-9000
Bernardo Shores RV Park - Homepage
Old 11-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Purchase the Woodall's or Good Sam book to find campgrounds or Kamp Grounds of America (KOA).San Diego California RV Camping - San Diego California Campgrounds - San Diego California RV Parks - Good Sam Club

http://www.goodsamclub.com/DefaultMember.aspx
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #4

Name: Robert and Laura
Trailer: September 2012: New proud owners of a 2010 Casita SD
California
Thank you. We have the Trailer Life Directory. Sorry I must have phrased my question incorrectly. We do know where they are all at, however what we're looking for is an opinion on the campgrounds. There is one near Imperial Beach in San Diego. A friend had an experience there with it being full of illegal aliens hiding out in various places, unless they were homeless people (he isn't sure), and the bathrooms are filthy, and there are people selling drugs on the property. So although it is listed in all the directories, one would never know it's not a good place to go unless we get opinions from fellow RV'ers ... or check these forums. So what we're looking for is opinions - and folks sharing their experiences at the various campgrounds. Thanks so much for your reply. It is much appreciated!
Robert and Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
There is one near Imperial Beach in San Diego. A friend had an experience there with it being full of illegal aliens hiding out in various places, unless they were homeless people (he isn't sure), and the bathrooms are filthy, and there are people selling drugs on the property.
Was that Bernado Shores? I was under the impression that they had security. I thought that your friend's experience might apply to La Pacifica, but it is not right on the water. I've had good reports from friends on another social website about Chula Vista RV Resort.

I'm sorry, but I do not camp near the ocean as I find it too over-rated, too over-crowded, and too over-priced. Since I live in San Diego I can just day-trip to the beach without the hassles of dragging the trailer along.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Good Sam directory will tell you the condition to expect.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Only ones that seem safe and good are the State Parks and beaches but most have no hook ups. Can anyone help with advice? !
Consider buying some solar panels if you dont have them already so you can join the rest of us at State parks power or no power.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Check out RV Park Reviews for California. In order to have the site have value, please post your own review when you can.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Don't miss Caspers Regional Park, on Rt 74, just east of San Juan Capistrano. They have one section with power, goto orangecountyparks.com or google Caspers Park

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:53 PM   #10

Name: jen
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003
Georgia
Buy campwhere software (if you have an iphone, ipad or imac)--it'll give you every state, national forest, army corps, military campground in any given area--and details about hookups.
jenbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:57 PM   #11

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
You may have to choose between atmosphere and electricity. For myself, atmosphere wins every time!

But then my camping style is still more or less what camping was when my trailer was new...

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #12

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
I have had nothing but good experiences at Campland on the Bay. Don't go during major holidays or during the summer-it's packed. Been going there on and off for over 20 years-mostly during Thanksgiving weekend.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #13

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Maybe you can elaborate on what items you have that require an electrical hookup and the folks here can come up with alternatives. If you can go without hookups that opens up a lot more camping opportunities. You could also consider a generator. I try to camp in public campgrounds which don't have hookups and avoid private campgrounds when possible. The public park campsites are more spread out and natural, and avoids that parking lot feeling of RV parks.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasE View Post
....... You could also consider a generator .............
If you want your camping neighbors to hate you.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:03 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
If you want your camping neighbors to hate you.
Yup!!!! Generators are becoming less popular daily. The cost of the generator may be more than a decent solar set up and there is no daily operating cost for the solar as there is for the generator -not to mention the extra weight of the generator vs the solar and the little problem of having to carry gas cans for it.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #16

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I'm with others on a preference for camping without hookups. The sites are almost always prettier and we prefer a natural, more rustic experience. The trailer gives us a sense of luxury (over tent camping). It's no problem to fill the water tank, put an ice block in the cooler, cook with propane and to run the lights off the battery. Even my portable sewing machine runs on batteries! For entertainment we hang around the campfire, read and actually converse with one another! The experience can't be beat!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:39 PM   #17

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
I'm with others on a preference for camping without hookups. The sites are almost always prettier and we prefer a natural, more rustic experience. The trailer gives us a sense of luxury (over tent camping). It's no problem to fill the water tank, put an ice block in the cooler, cook with propane and to run the lights off the battery. Even my portable sewing machine runs on batteries! For entertainment we hang around the campfire, read and actually converse with one another! The experience can't be beat!

Nice to hear from somebody else that can actually camp- and like it- on a single twelve volt battery!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #18

Registry
Here in BC most of the Provincial Parks do not offer any hook-ups. They recently added power to a couple of parks but only a limited number of sites. Yes the campgrounds are full all summer with RV's. Would not go camping often if you couldnt get by with a single 12volt battery
Old 11-20-2012, 02:38 AM   #19

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
I dislike generator noise as much as the next camper, that's why I said consider :-)

I only have a single battery, pretty sure I could go easily a week camping on it. Have all LED interior lights, plus the water pump, and that's basically all the things I have that use electricity. Unless it's winter and really cold, then the furnace would use a bit of electricity as well.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote