Secret spots in USA? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2012, 01:25 AM   #1

Name: Tyler&Laura
Trailer: 1975 Boler
British Columbia
Secret spots in USA?

My girlfriend and I just bought a boler, painted it, redecorated the inside and fixed up some of the technical things (new fridge, charging system, etc).

We are taking it around the USA this October. Our route will start at the top of California, heading south, and go wherever the road takes us. Hopefully end at the Florida Keys, but we'll see.

We are prepared to stay in campsites where we need to, but some of the best times I've had have been just camping out in the wild. We once found a river in Washington State that was beautiful, completely vacant, and had terrain that was flat enough to drive our car right up to the water's edge and set up camp.

Can anyone recommend some places that are un-policed and essentially vacant? Anywhere in America, you name it.

It's adventure time.
piperwinston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:53 AM   #2

Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: SOLD: 1977 Scamp 13'
Massachusetts
It's not on your route, but you can camp anywhere in a Minnesota State Forest.
MN State Forest Camping rules

MN State Forest Campground map

Also, primitive camping is allowed in National Forest land National Forest Camping rules

Here's a PDF showing the National Forest lands. National Forest map. It looks like there's a LOT on your route.

If you find someplace nice, post photos!
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Here's one possibly on your route:

Chiricahua Mountains - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Both sides of this mountain range have interesting little "wild" campgrounds and great hikes, vistas and interesting rock formations.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #4

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Well, if you like rockhounding there are some places around Topaz Mountain just outside Delta, Utah, that might fit the bill. When Dorothy and I were there last spring (pre-Scamp days) we saw a lot of likely boondocking sites. We also went around full days without seeing a single soul (unless you count sheep as souls). And when I say "boondocking" I mean it. No water or electricity...

Click image for larger version

Name:	utah.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	351.2 KB
ID:	50722
(click to embiggen)

fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Just outside of the town of Borrego Springs, CA. there are acres of land to find your perfect spot. The Anza Borrego State Park surrounds you. Was there last Dec and only a handful of trailers to be seen - different story though in mid Jan and Feb. Same as the BML lands at Quartzsite AZ - had a complete section of BML all to myself. There are also some BML lands on the Colorado River south of Parker that are pretty well empty in Nov/Dec as well.

In San Diego County there is a nice campng park on the S2 called Agua Caliente County Park - it has hot springs - but as you drive up the S2 heading north past Aqua Caliente you will see small dirt roads leading off to the sides with one or two trailers parked in them - very private spots with the Anza Borrego Desert SP all around you to explore.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #6

Name: jim
Trailer: Burro
Oregon
Nothing beats the old logging roads in southern Oregon. The feds don't allow logging like the "old days" but the roads are kept up in case of fire. Just don't go too high where snow can lock you in for the winter. The rivers are clean and clear. And it's an easy drive back to civilization when you just have to have a "Big Mac."
jimcapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
There are more of these places than you will ever have time for with our 'Blade Runner' like lifespans. You can find them anywhere you visit. You will constantly be wishing you could stay longer where ever you are. I say this after 11 years, 5 loops of the USA, 150,000 miles. We sometime return to the same place only to discover all we missed the first time......

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:38 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
It is hard to find a less expensive place to camp than New Mexico State Parks. . Unlike Texas and Colorado state parks, no entry fees on top of the camping fees. Free showers and nice restrooms as well and for $4 more you can have electric, too. Most are very scenic as well.

There is a lot to see in do in New Mexico & many out of the way places to camp: Must See in New Mexico

A NM Byways Link and more NM Byways.

New Mexico ~ Land of Enchantment ¡Sí, hablamos inglés!

Here's another old Post, it might have some repeated things, but I believe it has some new things as well.

Off US 70 between Las Cruces & Alamogordo, White Sands Nat'l Monument & Alamogordo Area.

If you make it to the Las Cruces Area - NM Mexican Food plus camping and attractions in the area. At least try a Green Chile Cheese Burger. Video

Taste of NM Pecans: Stahmanns or Salopek

North of Cruces or West of Carrizozo using US 380, off of I-25 in New Mexico by San Antonio, the Bosque del Apache Wildlife Refuge.
Bosque Birdwatchers RV Park Never stayed there, but have read about others staying there to see the Bosque. As a matter of fact you could take US 380 all the way to I-25 at San Antonio & the Bosque del Apache. I-25 to Socorro, take US 60 towards Datil, Passing the VLA before you get to Datil & a very Nice BLM Campground. But would miss White Sands.

One of the most talked about green chile cheese burgers for years, is in San Antonio, NM at the Owl Bar.
Ditto

I have now been hearing about another green chile cheeseburger in San Antonio. The Buckhorn Tavern in San Antonio. A Food Review and Ditto
I believe the chef at Buckhorn beat Bobby Flay on a Throwdown with his.

San Antonio, New Mexico was the birth place & boyhood home of Conrad Hilton, founder of the Hilton Hotels.

In AZ: The Chiricahua National Monument by Wilcox is a neat place. The Arizona-Sonoran Desert Museum, just west of Tucson is really great (a zoo mainly without bars mostly) is over on the west side of Tucson by the Saguaro Nat'l Park and Old Tucson (the movie set/theme park). The Arizona-Sonoran Desert Museum is a must see for sure. Tucson Mountain Park and Gilbert Ray Campground in near by. I drove into the campground last spring, it wouldn't be a bad place to spend some time. I believe it is first come/first served which I prefer. Kartchner Caverns State Park from what I have read should also be a neat place, we have not gone yet.

My Daughter & family live in Tucson, which has proven to be a neat city, easy to get around in, with many things to see and do around it. Never camped there, however. But visit often. Maybe something in this will help out: Clicky.

Over in Texas, Big Bend Area, what I have on it.

Virtual guards to monitor remote Texas border crossing.

Closer to San Antonio (I have never stopped here, but have been tempted to do so), Caverns of Sonora, they say is a National Natural Landmark, a unique cave located 8 miles west of the town of Sonora, Texas, and a world-class cave. cavernsofsonora.com

What I have on San Antonio & Texas Hill Country.

In New Mexico (northern) & into AZ:
Flagstaff - Gallup - Grants- to Santa Fe - Plus and New Mexico State Parks Plus.

Here is an old post dealing with mostly things off of or near I-10 in New Mexico & AZ: Clicky.

And a second one with some Texas info as well: Clicky.

Boondocking/Dispersed Camping NM-AZ

Aguirre Spring BLM Campground -LasCruces

City of Rocks State Park Campground >>>> City of Rocks web site

HIstoric and on Mexico border Pancho Villa State Park South of Deming, in Columbus.

Rest Area West Bound Mile Marker 61 -West of Deming, New Mexico: Rest Area
The Welcome Center/Rest Area on West side of Lordsburg has a nice area to park overnight as well.

Carlsbad Area & US 285 from Fort Stockton to Roswell; then US 380 to I-25. At San Antonio, NM take I-25 S to Hatch; NM 26 W to Deming & I-10. Things Along This Route

Bonito campground. Not far from Flagstaff, AZ just off US 89, near Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument and on the same looping hwy, Wupatki National Monument, a neat drive. From Flagstaff, take U.S 89 north for 12 miles (19km), turn right on the Sunset Crater - Wupatki Loop road and continue 2 miles (3km) to the visitor center. Area Map ~ I have never been to Walnut Canyon National Monument, it should be neat as well.
Sunset Crater & Wupatki

There is a section of Route 66 out from Williams, Arizona which might be neat to check out. Seligma to Kingman

Historic66.com/NewMexico and Route66 New Mexico and Explore By Ways

Route 66 AZ, Illinois, NM, OK

Historic Route 66 Attractions through Albuquerque

Ya gotta try some NM Green Chile as you drive through our state. As for food, I am not too familar with restaurants in Santa Fe, BUT we have enjoyed some very good food off of "push" carts or I should say street vendors around the Plaza. Not sure if they were actually a push cart or just carts of some kind if not just stands. It has been a while since we have gone. One item was corn on the cob, rosted. Also Bar-B-Que, if I remember correctly and some Mexican food as well.
I believe it is called Roque's Carnitas.

One can detour to Santa Fe from I-40 by taking US 285 N at Exit 218 (Cline's Corners) west of Santa Rosa, NM. Use I-25 to reach Albuquerque after finished visiting Santa Fe.

When Route 66 was first laid out in 1926, everybody knew it would go through the capital of New Mexico and indeed it did. Route 66 followed the Old Pecos Trail from Santa Rosa through Dilia, Romeroville and Pecos to Santa Fe. From Santa Fe it went over La Bajada Hill and down into Albuquerque. That was the way it was aligned and constructed and that was the way it was supposed to stay - forever. But it didn't. But why was it moved? In 1937 the then governor of New Mexico, Governor Hannett lost the re-election. Hannett blamed this on the politicians in Santa Fe. In one great last act of defiance before the new governor was sworn in he vowed to get even with this Santa Fe ring. He had until January to institute his revenge. And he did! He decided the best way to get even was to re-route Highway 66 to Albuquerque and bypass Santa Fe altogether. More of the Stroy

By Amarillo, TX: Never been to the state park, but have read about it & would like to make it over there someday. Palo Duro Canyon State Park as well as Caprock Canyons State Park, from what I have read, seem like very neat areas to see.

Farther away from I-40, Caprock Canyons is home of the official Texas State Bison Herd. Activities: Viewing wildlife, Horseback riding, Hiking, Fishing, Picnicking, Swimming, Rock climbing, Mountain biking.
State Park Site *** More Info *** Some Pics

In North Central New Mexico: Never been to the State Park near Santa Rosa, but it should be a good place to overnight StatePark.

Villanueva State Park is a neat one on the Pecos River, off I-25, but can be reached from I-40 using some back country roads.

For California Historic 66 get onto Foothills Blv. in the SouthernCal area, by Fontana.

Here's what I have compiled on the area, Los Angles Area Camping and Sites.

Some ways to keep cost down while traveling:
Overnighting Sites

Free or Almost Free Campgrounds

Free Campsites

Boondocking Sites Map

Click for A Splattering of Sights & Sites Western US & Canada; Mostly Sites West of the Mississippi River with some Mid-West.

Our Trip to Santa Fe & Bandelier Nat'l Mon't Last Month:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/26332548.cfm

Our Trip to Chaco Canyon & Angel Peak BLM Area last April:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/26019902.cfm

Ditto: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...1.cfm#26021301

San Antonio, TX to Rio Grande Valley:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...1.cfm#23358834

Half Moon Bay & San Francisco & BART
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...9.cfm#23448059

Los Angeles to San Francisco
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...8.cfm#23324498

California
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...1.cfm#23173581
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:07 AM   #9

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
There are so many interesting places in this country that you'll never even come close to seeing them all if you live to age 200. Just hitch up, get in, choose a starting direction, and GO.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #10

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
All you have to do is remember the rule Dorothy and I abide by:

There are no wrong turns! They're simply opportunities waiting to be discovered!
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #11

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
It's getting harder to boondock on national forest land. There are limits on which backroads may be driven (each national forest has its own Motor Vehicle Use Maps or MVUMs), and how far off the road one can pull off. Not like the old days.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:55 PM   #12

Name: Robert and Laura
Trailer: September 2012: New proud owners of a 2010 Casita SD
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
There are more of these places than you will ever have time for with our 'Blade Runner' like lifespans. You can find them anywhere you visit. You will constantly be wishing you could stay longer where ever you are. I say this after 11 years, 5 loops of the USA, 150,000 miles. We sometime return to the same place only to discover all we missed the first time......
Hi,
Just went out on our first trip with our Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe. It was so much fun, we just love it. Stayed on a bluff near the beach in Orange County California. Now looking for places in San Diego. Silver Strand State Beach seems to be the only good spot I can find near the water. Other campgrounds which are private have really bad reviews all over the internet. Do you know any good campgrounds in San Diego - close to the coast? Trying to figure out where to find this info on the forums. Thanks for any info you can provide! After Silver Strand, we're thinking about Zion in October. Any suggestions there would also be helpful! Thanks so much!
Robert and Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #13

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Much further north than your intended trip.

If I told you, it would not be secret. It is on a friends property that is meant for hunting next to a state game preserve. We go there for a dog event almost every year.

You can join us at our next favourite, the Elora Gorge in Ontario, 3rd is the Pinery also in Ontario. 4th would be the Republic of Madawaska park on the NB / QC border.

A favourite is hard to pick. Depends on the time of year and location.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Smile San Diego Beach Campgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert and Laura View Post
Hi,
Just went out on our first trip with our Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe. It was so much fun, we just love it. Stayed on a bluff near the beach in Orange County California. Now looking for places in San Diego. Silver Strand State Beach seems to be the only good spot I can find near the water. Other campgrounds which are private have really bad reviews all over the internet. Do you know any good campgrounds in San Diego - close to the coast? Trying to figure out where to find this info on the forums. Thanks for any info you can provide! After Silver Strand, we're thinking about Zion in October. Any suggestions there would also be helpful! Thanks so much!
Sounds like you may have stayed at San Clemente State Beach.

Never camped by San Diego, but did some research a few years ago:
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Campground advice near San Diego

We decided on San Elijo State Beach and made reservations, but our plans fell apart and we did not make it there.

We have gone swimming at the beach at Dana Point (in Orange Country), but not camped at Doheny State Beach: DSBIA Home Page

Campground is right by the beach.
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:09 PM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
This has a list of a lot of Free Camping Spots in the US.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #16

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Post CAMPGROUNDS IN SAN DIEGO COUNTY with Waterfront Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert and Laura View Post
Hi,
Stayed on a bluff near the beach in Orange County California. Now looking for places in San Diego. Silver Strand State Beach seems to be the only good spot I can find near the water. Other campgrounds which are private have really bad reviews all over the internet. Do you know any good campgrounds in San Diego - close to the coast?
SILVER STRAND STATE BEACH
5000 Highway 75, Coronado (619) 435-5184

BERNADO SHORES RV PARK
500 Highway 75, Imperial Beach, CA 91932 (619) 429-9000

CHULA VISTA RV RESORT
460 Sandpiper Way, Chula Vista (800) 770-2878

CAMPLAND ON THE BAY
2211 Pacific Beach Drive, San Diego (858) 581-4200

SAN ELIJO STATE BEACH
South Coast Highway (101), Encinitas, CA (760) 753-5091

SOUTH CARLSBAD STATE BEACH
7201 Carlsbad Boulevard, Carlsbad, CA 92008 (760) 438-3143
Old 10-02-2012, 10:44 PM   #17

Name: Tyler&Laura
Trailer: 1975 Boler
British Columbia
Thank you all for your replies!
We are now seeing how long it takes to explore...will most likely spend the rest of October in California, so I'm glad this thread started exploring San Diego campsites. This is the best forum ever, thank you all so much!
piperwinston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:20 AM   #18

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperwinston View Post
Thank you all for your replies!
We are now seeing how long it takes to explore...will most likely spend the rest of October in California, so I'm glad this thread started exploring San Diego campsites. This is the best forum ever, thank you all so much!

One little tid bit of advice. You'll find yourself in a campground from time to time. In the winter months there's lots of people that are full timing or snow birds. Talk to those people, you'll be amazed at the information about great places to camp. Be flexible and enjoy the exploration.

We've enjoyed the AZ, CA, and NM National Parks in the winter. There's also BLM lands. Lots and lots of helpful people where ever you go.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:44 AM   #19

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
It's the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
It's getting harder to boondock on national forest land. There are limits on which backroads may be driven (each national forest has its own Motor Vehicle Use Maps or MVUMs), and how far off the road one can pull off. Not like the old days.
Canada is getting the same way . We were tent camping on Crown Land in an abandoned sand pit on a logged out section of woods in Ontario. We were told we could not camp there and we had to leave by Canadian authorities . The closest town was 34 miles away and had a population of 74 so it wasn't a zoning or noise issue. . We never did get an explanation for having to leave but when you are a visitor in Canada you do what your told
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:06 AM   #20

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Cheap Camping and SoCal Beaches are mutually exclusive terms. The State Beaches mentioned can cost up to $50 a night for dry camping and, unless yor reserve well in advance, ferget weekends.

Except out in the desert areas, in SoCal about the best $$$ bet can be Regional Parks in Riverside, San Bernardino and San Diego Counties, but again, none are near beaches.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote