Seek advice for a trip between Calgary and Ottawa - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2017, 11:59 AM   #1

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Seek advice for a trip between Calgary and Ottawa

Hi,

We are in the planing stage for our 23 days Boler trip in this August between Calgary and Ottawa. Will spend one week in Ottawa, and 3 nights around Niagara Falls on our return trip, all other locations/days are open.

We appreciate for any suggestions, such as where to stop, how far each day should/can be on the road.

Thanks.
Eric
HawkBoler72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:57 PM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Seek advice for a tripe

How about menudo?

Sorry, couldn't resist...
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:21 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkBoler72 View Post
Hi,

We are in the planing stage for our 23 days Boler trip in this August between Calgary and Ottawa. Will spend one week in Ottawa, and 3 nights around Niagara Falls on our return trip, all other locations/days are open.

We appreciate for any suggestions, such as where to stop, how far each day should/can be on the road.

Thanks.
Eric
I suppose you will drive the Trans Canada #1 all the way. that can be an adventure in itself. there are campsites all along there, some near the highway, some farther off. so less traffic noise at night.
7 days at Ottawa and 3 at the Falls, leaves 13 for travel, or 6.5 days each way.
3500 miles one way = 540 miles per day. That is way too much driving for this old soul.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:10 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: !977 KingsleyGMC, 1968 Bailey Mikado
Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
I suppose you will drive the Trans Canada #1 all the way. that can be an adventure in itself. there are campsites all along there, some near the highway, some farther off. so less traffic noise at night.
7 days at Ottawa and 3 at the Falls, leaves 13 for travel, or 6.5 days each way.
3500 miles one way = 540 miles per day. That is way too much driving for this old soul.
zzzz

Try a little harder Greg...you're supposed to be a Senior member.

Here's anther route, but it will take you forever though the mileage is short: https://www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=...ottawa+driving
1 K is .6 of a mile.

also:
Driving Distance from Calgary, Canada to Ottawa, Canada

Be sure you have Air conditioning in Ottawa in August....

Mike in NS
panhead_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:41 PM   #5

Name: CAROL
Trailer: '79 Boler 1700
Manitoba
If you are in or near Winnipeg between Aug. 18 and 20 you could drop in or reserve space early for the 8th Annual Fibreglass Rally in St Malo. All kinds of fibreglass RV's. Lots of Bolers and lots of fun. Check out this web site for the Rally calendar for more information.
CA Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:52 PM   #6

Alberta
Thank you all for the info.

I'm planning to take the following route (total about 7500 km).

The longest distance we traveled with this Bolder was between Calgary and Vancouver (once back within one day, all others each took 2 days). If needed, we may add a few more days.

Thought about air conditioning, still open minded at this time.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
Old 01-13-2017, 05:54 PM   #7

Alberta
Thank you Carol for the interesting info. I have to be at Ottawa around August 19th.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:03 PM   #8

Manitoba
Good luck on your trip. We drove the almost identical route last summer with our 17 ft Boler. It was a hair raising trip to say the least. We were not expecting the speed most people travel on those highways. Usually 20 miles over the speed limit and that was going through construction zones too. I think your trip back will be much more relaxing and certainly very scenic. You might want to make sure you have a lot of small change for all the tolls you may pass through.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:22 PM   #9

Alberta
Hi Carol, I saw there are tolls but never thought to have some changes on hand. Must be in US$? I guess. Thank you again.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:29 PM   #10

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Allow yourself a couple days for Niagara Falls, and splurge for a tour company tour. let them hassle the driving and parking, and remember that tour company customers are jumped to the head of wait lines.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:35 PM   #11

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Aug. trip

Unless you have a very good reason to go tru Chicago , I'd go another , more northern route . I live in Ill. & will go out of my way to bypass Chi. , even when not towing !
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:54 PM   #12

Alberta
Thank you - Mitzi: this makes me to think about if 3 weeks are enough.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:56 PM   #13

Alberta
HI Jim, I have a friend lives there, but not a must, so I will consider your suggestion: I'm open minded
Old 01-14-2017, 08:23 AM   #14

Name: D. Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Manitoba
I like your choice of the upper Michigan route. You miss that nasty, long, steep, and curving Montreal River Hill on the #17 North of Lake Superior. An alternate on your return from Southern Ontario would be to go North up in between Georgian Bay and Lake Huron, catch the ferry at Tobermory and get back to #17 etc and then your Upper Michigan route again.
Again we would love to see you at St Malo Provincial Park just south of Winnipeg on Hwy 59 any time on Aug 19th weekend for our FGRV rally.
Jim & Marlene
Jim Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:34 AM   #15

Manitoba
I agree about bypassing Chicago. It was a nightmare drive and we nearly were hit by a guy changing over 3 lanes from our blind spot. Never again.
Old 01-14-2017, 11:44 AM   #16

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitoba Jim View Post
I like your choice of the upper Michigan route. You miss that nasty, long, steep, and curving Montreal River Hill on the #17 North of Lake Superior. An alternate on your return from Southern Ontario would be to go North up in between Georgian Bay and Lake Huron, catch the ferry at Tobermory and get back to #17 etc and then your Upper Michigan route again.
Again we would love to see you at St Malo Provincial Park just south of Winnipeg on Hwy 59 any time on Aug 19th weekend for our FGRV rally.
Jim & Marlene
Hi Jim & Marlene, thank you for your info and the warm invitation to join the FGRV rally. We can't do this year but look forward some time in the following years. This year's August 19th is my son's wedding day in Ottawa.
Eric
Old 01-23-2017, 10:55 AM   #17

Name: Chickaboo
Trailer: Ventura 13ft
Manitoba
Hawkboler have you considered passing through Winnipeg between August 6-19? If not I encourage you to look into it!

These are the dates of the world's largest and longest running multi-cultural festival, FOLKLORAMA. www.folklorama.ca

46 different cultures run a pavilion showcasing 3 entertainment shows each day complete with ethnic food, drink and cultural displays. People come from all over the world to experience this festival. Of course, there are many other touristy things to do but Folklorama is a true lifetime highlight.

I can't miss this opportunity to invite you to my pavilion, POLAND at the Convention Center August 6-12.
chickaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:48 PM   #18

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickaboo View Post
Hawkboler have you considered passing through Winnipeg between August 6-19? If not I encourage you to look into it!

These are the dates of the world's largest and longest running multi-cultural festival, FOLKLORAMA. www.folklorama.ca

46 different cultures run a pavilion showcasing 3 entertainment shows each day complete with ethnic food, drink and cultural displays. People come from all over the world to experience this festival. Of course, there are many other touristy things to do but Folklorama is a true lifetime highlight.

I can't miss this opportunity to invite you to my pavilion, POLAND at the Convention Center August 6-12.
Hi Chickaboo, Thank yo very much for the information/invitation. We would like to but can't go to the party this year. Hopefully we'll meet somewhere sometime in the years to come. Eric
Old 01-29-2017, 10:27 PM   #19

Trailer: Boler 1984
We have travelled from Ontario to Alberta several times towing our Boler . Your route will miss some of the most spectacular scenery there is along the way and your route goes through some very congested sections with horrendous traffic. Follow the north shore of Lake Superior and see what we have to offer right here in Canada. Camp at Kekabeka falls near Thunder Bay, and at a quiet town park at Thessalon on Georgian bay. Samuel de Champlain park near Matawa is then on your way to Ottawa following the Ottawa river. The 401 highway across Ontario is a rodeo of transport trucks on one of north Americas longest freeways, going bumper to bumper drafting each other, and several lanes wide all jockeying for position and going 120 km. Scary even when not towing a trailer..
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:41 PM   #20

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
We have travelled from Ontario to Alberta several times towing our Boler . Your route will miss some of the most spectacular scenery there is along the way and your route goes through some very congested sections with horrendous traffic. Follow the north shore of Lake Superior and see what we have to offer right here in Canada. Camp at Kekabeka falls near Thunder Bay, and at a quiet town park at Thessalon on Georgian bay. Samuel de Champlain park near Matawa is then on your way to Ottawa following the Ottawa river. The 401 highway across Ontario is a rodeo of transport trucks on one of north Americas longest freeways, going bumper to bumper drafting each other, and several lanes wide all jockeying for position and going 120 km. Scary even when not towing a trailer..
Hi James,
We appreciate your information very much. My wife is looking at the route you suggested. I'll post my final route once all camping sites reservation is done.
Best regards!
Eric