Seek advice for a trip between Calgary and Ottawa - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-14-2017, 11:34 AM   #15
Member
 
Name: CAROL
Trailer: '79 Boler 1700
Manitoba
Posts: 39
I agree about bypassing Chicago. It was a nightmare drive and we nearly were hit by a guy changing over 3 lanes from our blind spot. Never again.
__________________

CA Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:44 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitoba Jim View Post
I like your choice of the upper Michigan route. You miss that nasty, long, steep, and curving Montreal River Hill on the #17 North of Lake Superior. An alternate on your return from Southern Ontario would be to go North up in between Georgian Bay and Lake Huron, catch the ferry at Tobermory and get back to #17 etc and then your Upper Michigan route again.
Again we would love to see you at St Malo Provincial Park just south of Winnipeg on Hwy 59 any time on Aug 19th weekend for our FGRV rally.
Jim & Marlene
Hi Jim & Marlene, thank you for your info and the warm invitation to join the FGRV rally. We can't do this year but look forward some time in the following years. This year's August 19th is my son's wedding day in Ottawa.
Eric
__________________

HawkBoler72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:55 AM   #17
Junior Member
 
Name: Chickaboo
Trailer: Ventura 13ft
Manitoba
Posts: 22
Hawkboler have you considered passing through Winnipeg between August 6-19? If not I encourage you to look into it!

These are the dates of the world's largest and longest running multi-cultural festival, FOLKLORAMA. www.folklorama.ca

46 different cultures run a pavilion showcasing 3 entertainment shows each day complete with ethnic food, drink and cultural displays. People come from all over the world to experience this festival. Of course, there are many other touristy things to do but Folklorama is a true lifetime highlight.

I can't miss this opportunity to invite you to my pavilion, POLAND at the Convention Center August 6-12.
chickaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 03:48 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickaboo View Post
Hawkboler have you considered passing through Winnipeg between August 6-19? If not I encourage you to look into it!

These are the dates of the world's largest and longest running multi-cultural festival, FOLKLORAMA. www.folklorama.ca

46 different cultures run a pavilion showcasing 3 entertainment shows each day complete with ethnic food, drink and cultural displays. People come from all over the world to experience this festival. Of course, there are many other touristy things to do but Folklorama is a true lifetime highlight.

I can't miss this opportunity to invite you to my pavilion, POLAND at the Convention Center August 6-12.
Hi Chickaboo, Thank yo very much for the information/invitation. We would like to but can't go to the party this year. Hopefully we'll meet somewhere sometime in the years to come. Eric
HawkBoler72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:27 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
james kent's Avatar
 
Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Posts: 2,938
We have travelled from Ontario to Alberta several times towing our Boler . Your route will miss some of the most spectacular scenery there is along the way and your route goes through some very congested sections with horrendous traffic. Follow the north shore of Lake Superior and see what we have to offer right here in Canada. Camp at Kekabeka falls near Thunder Bay, and at a quiet town park at Thessalon on Georgian bay. Samuel de Champlain park near Matawa is then on your way to Ottawa following the Ottawa river. The 401 highway across Ontario is a rodeo of transport trucks on one of north Americas longest freeways, going bumper to bumper drafting each other, and several lanes wide all jockeying for position and going 120 km. Scary even when not towing a trailer..
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:41 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
We have travelled from Ontario to Alberta several times towing our Boler . Your route will miss some of the most spectacular scenery there is along the way and your route goes through some very congested sections with horrendous traffic. Follow the north shore of Lake Superior and see what we have to offer right here in Canada. Camp at Kekabeka falls near Thunder Bay, and at a quiet town park at Thessalon on Georgian bay. Samuel de Champlain park near Matawa is then on your way to Ottawa following the Ottawa river. The 401 highway across Ontario is a rodeo of transport trucks on one of north Americas longest freeways, going bumper to bumper drafting each other, and several lanes wide all jockeying for position and going 120 km. Scary even when not towing a trailer..
Hi James,
We appreciate your information very much. My wife is looking at the route you suggested. I'll post my final route once all camping sites reservation is done.
Best regards!
Eric
HawkBoler72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:59 AM   #21
Member
 
ChrisDunbar's Avatar
 
Name: Chris
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Posts: 79
See you on the road. I'll be leaving Halifax on August 11th to head to Canmore and back.

I agree with everyone else....Take the north shore of the lake. You'll be missing out. It's a fantastic drive. Any provincial park along the shore will be a great stop.

And the 401 isn't that scary. Get on, find your lane, and cruise.
ChrisDunbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:52 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDunbar View Post
See you on the road. I'll be leaving Halifax on August 11th to head to Canmore and back.

I agree with everyone else....Take the north shore of the lake. You'll be missing out. It's a fantastic drive. Any provincial park along the shore will be a great stop.

And the 401 isn't that scary. Get on, find your lane, and cruise.
Hi Chris,

I wish you have wonderful time in Alberta. Some years later I may visit the far east, such as Halifax, never been there yet.

I Love this community so much - it is fantastic!

Eric
HawkBoler72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:30 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Posts: 132
I agree with James Kent . I would take his suggested route on my return trip . For a trip around Lake Superior , I've always advised a counter clockwise route as the scenery is much better on the northwest side .
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:55 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Jay H's Avatar
 
Name: Jay
Trailer: Boler 1300
Ontario
Posts: 271
Registry
Two years ago on our trip from southern Ontario to Calgary and the Rockies we drove out around the north side of the great lakes. It was a beautiful drive and I wanted my kids to experience the drive through Canada. I took some time to see a few sights but it was a long drive for sure, I think it took us 5 days to get to Manitoba.
On the way home from the Rockies we cut through North Dakota and along the U.P. in Michigan. Seemed to be a quicker drive although there was less to see and stop at too. Took us about 3 days of driving long hauls (from the ND border).
The last two times I drove to and past Chicago it was without the trailer and I am not sure I would go that route. It's major highway and fast traffic. I like the smaller slower roads when towing. It may take longer but it feels better.

The Northern Ontario route is beautiful and if you have never done it I would recommend it (just like James) If you just want to make time then the Michigan route is a little quicker in my opinion. I would avoid Chicago. Save your patience and nerves for driving the 401 from Windsor to Ottawa.
Jay
Jay H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:56 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Posts: 108
Appreciate everyone's posting

We appreciate every contribution from everyone - Thank you!

The final route with stops are shown in figure below. Have booked some of the camping lots. I'll spend 26 days for this trip.

Looking forward to meeting some of you in coming trips within next few years.
Attached Thumbnails
2017-02-07_12-48-01.jpg  
HawkBoler72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:08 PM   #26
Junior Member
 
Name: Myron
Trailer: In the market
Minnesota
Posts: 1
You're in for a great trip

Just saw this thread and wanted to say you picked a great route for traveling. Avoiding Chicago a good choice. I live in Duluth, so you'll come through my city on your way. There will be much more to see than you'll have time for, so make a "must see/do" list before you leave. I offer two suggestions. The Canadian side of Niagara Falls is the best side. Skip the American side. Second, just a few miles north of Thunder Bay is the Terry Fox memorial. This is a must stop. The view of the great lake is spectacular and the remembrance of a great Canadian just makes it sweeter.

Have a wonderful trip.
clearis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:54 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearis View Post
Just saw this thread and wanted to say you picked a great route for traveling. Avoiding Chicago a good choice. I live in Duluth, so you'll come through my city on your way. There will be much more to see than you'll have time for, so make a "must see/do" list before you leave. I offer two suggestions. The Canadian side of Niagara Falls is the best side. Skip the American side. Second, just a few miles north of Thunder Bay is the Terry Fox memorial. This is a must stop. The view of the great lake is spectacular and the remembrance of a great Canadian just makes it sweeter.

Have a wonderful trip.
Hi Myron,
Thank you very much for suggestions. This is the wonderful place to make our camping better and so enjoy our life more.

Eric
HawkBoler72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:39 AM   #28
Member
 
Name: Lisa
Trailer: Trillium 4500 & Boler 1700
Michigan
Posts: 65
Looks like you will be crossing the border at the Blue Water Bridge in Port Huron/Sarnia. That's a busy border crossing but it is open 24 hours. As a general rule of thumb you might not want to cross at rush hour. I'd check the wait times online when I get close.
__________________

Lisa in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seek guidance on resealing Boler windows smallscale Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 1 08-23-2016 01:31 AM
The Puck and LoverBoy get Shakedown Trip! Please help me plan a romantic trip? Gigi Camping, Campout Reports 15 09-04-2015 12:07 AM
Trailer repair around Ottawa Tracy & Gaenor Howe Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 9 04-23-2012 08:42 AM
1975 Trillium 13' for sale in Ottawa, Ontario Michael Billowits Classified Archives 6 05-18-2009 02:37 PM
SOLD- 13ft 1977 Trillium for sale VG condition Ottawa Ont. Robert St-Louis Classified Archives 4 05-30-2008 07:22 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.